Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCM 2018 - Mentored Novice Thread

Options
1148149150151152154»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

OOnegative wrote:
    You’d want to take the finger out so!!!

Think I'll wait til it's sold out and then say "ah well". Haha

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Think I'll wait til it's sold out and then say "ah well". Haha

At least there are transfers apparently allowed!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Kellygirl wrote:

Think I'll wait til transfers close and say "ah well".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Only 4000 spaces left for DCM 2019!

I registered yesterday.

Is it just me or is the entry fee way overpriced? Is it in keeping with the entry fee for other marathons? I know DCM is reasonably high profile but still, wasn't easy parting with €93!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

coogy wrote: »
    I registered yesterday.

Is it just me or is the entry fee way overpriced? Is it in keeping with the entry fee for other marathons? I know DCM is reasonably high profile but still, wasn't easy parting with €93!

The big marathons supplement a number of ways

London for example Virgin sponsorship is a couple of million and the charity packages are sold for about 700/800 per spot (which is why they look for such high minimum raised levels)

It’s expensive but this countries overheads are also expensive. Road closures in Dublin are not cheap (remember being quoted 3000 to close effectively mile 22 of the marathon about 8 years ago for 1 hour on a non bank holiday weekend) that plus Garda overtime you can start to really eat away at that entry fee

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

The big marathons supplement a number of ways

London for example Virgin sponsorship is a couple of million and the charity packages are sold for about 700/800 per spot (which is why they look for such high minimum raised levels)

It’s expensive but this countries overheads are also expensive. Road closures in Dublin are not cheap (remember being quoted 3000 to close effectively mile 22 of the marathon about 8 years ago for 1 hour on a non bank holiday weekend) that plus Garda overtime you can start to really eat away at that entry fee

Yeah, I totally get that. Just having a moan/rant/grumble at my dwindling bank balance.

:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Kellygirl wrote: »

Has this process been confirmed anywhere?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,704 ✭✭✭✭RayCun

Has this process been confirmed anywhere?

They say they're still working out the details, but it looks like a 75% refund will be available in August, with the reclaimed places going on sale again through the marathon site.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Helenasca wrote: »
    And they sell the place at full price again!?!? Understand the overheads but thats a bit much!

I know that's not confirmed yet. But still interesting!

I think Jim Aughney as good as confirmed it at the end of this article.

https://www.fastrunning.com/events-and-races/dublin-marathon/the-explosive-growth-of-the-dublin-marathon/21153

Helenasca wrote: »
    And they sell the place at full price again!?!? Understand the overheads but thats a bit much!

I know that's not confirmed yet. But still interesting!

Why not? If you are buying in September, should you get a discount?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,850 ✭✭✭Van.Bosch

RayCun wrote: »
    Why not? If you are buying in September, should you get a discount?

If you gave the full refund, loads would sign up and drop out. There could be too many places left in Sept.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 354 ✭✭El CabaIIo

Van.Bosch wrote: »
    If you gave the full refund, loads would sign up and drop out. There could be too many places left in Sept.

I think it's a case of putting the liability on those who drop out rather than the person who is buying as they might have to pay €113 to cover admin fees for example in that case as with most transfers.

Also, it probably prevents scalping when the DCM refunds the entry rather than direct entries. We used to joke for years here about selling bibs for hundreds of euro to people who came on looking for entries after the old Oct 1st deadline but that would probably happen for real now with people bulk buying early bird entries and scalping them months later for stupid money when mass hysteria hits.

I'd still prefer transfers but there's alot of races I signed up to in the past I couldn't make where I would have been delighted to take home 75% of something rather than a 100% of nothing.

The current situation is that if you buy an entry and can't run, you don't get anything back, so 75% is a big improvement...

Advertisement