Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,401 ✭✭✭billbond4

Plenty of activity in Athlone, laying the fiber in Willow Park and cloghanboy

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭xii

Installed in Limerick City today, flawless, Actavo are very accommodating will put the boxes wherever you require, one outside connected to the meter, two single socket size boxes inside, one on the external wall, the other hidden behind the TV with an almost invisible fibre connection between both. speed wired 360MB, 200MB over wireless, Sky Q works flawlessly between Silver an Mini, albeit the hotspot function is gone, range on the Vodafone router is good, one blackspot will pick up an extender tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

xii wrote: »
    Installed in Limerick City today, flawless, Actavo are very accommodating will put the boxes wherever you require, one outside connected to the meter, two single socket size boxes inside, one on the external wall, the other hidden behind the TV with an almost invisible fibre connection between both. speed wired 360MB, 200MB over wireless, Sky Q works flawlessly between Silver an Mini, albeit the hotspot function is gone, range on the Vodafone router is good, one blackspot will pick up an extender tomorrow.

Any pictures of the install? Hopefully not too long till they are down my way so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

SIRO build has definitely started in Navan. They have been visiting homes checking ducting and handing out postcards with information about the service.

I was wrong. I was talking to one of the SIRO guys today. It is still at design stage, build to start in four months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,392 ✭✭✭irishgeo

I was wrong. I was talking to one of the SIRO guys today. It is still at design stage, build to start in four months.

Don't hold your breath. The glacial place siro move at it. My town is live but it's only one small section of it. Probably be another year yet before it's get out my way. That's after they said it would be live before Christmas 16.It only went live in August.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

SIRO rolling a large drum of green cable into ducts on the Harry Reynolds road near Westbrook in Balbriggan. They're not hanging around.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Just got mine installed today in Limerick City. I took the first half of the day off work for an "08:00-13:00" appointment. The technicians arrived at 9am and were here for less than 90 minutes. I opted for the 300Mb plan but in-fact it appears to be 350Mb, and getting over 360Mb in speed tests. The upload speed is supposed to be 20% of the download speed (maybe one day it'll be symmetrical) and I'm getting just over 70Mb in speed tests. My speedtest result is in my signature, or it can be found here if my signature ever changes. Therefore, it's better than expected - so far, so good!

Below are some install photos.

Outside by the electricity meter box:
    20170919_115003_thumb.jpg20170919_115008_thumb.jpg20170919_115015_thumb.jpg20170919_115025_thumb.jpg

NOTE: There is an existing satellite cable that is not being used coming down the drainpipe and going through a hole right above where the SIRO techs had gone in. It was there before today's install and from the looks of it, it's safe to say that the SIRO (Actavo) techs did a tidier job.

Inside directly behind the wall of the electricity meter box:
    20170919_115115_thumb.jpg

The Vodafone Huawei HG659 bridged to my own ASUS RT-AC68U:
    20170919_122305_thumb.jpg

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,792 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

I guess it's worth mentioning that the cable coming down your drainpipe is an existing satellite (?) connection and nothing to do with SIRO.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I guess it's worth mentioning that the cable coming down your drainpipe is an existing satellite (?) connection and nothing to do with SIRO.

Affirmative, oscarBravo! Amending my post most ricky-tick!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,779 ✭✭✭✭jayo26

15102329.jpg

:)

• Advertisement

jayo26 wrote: »
    15102329.jpg

:)

If you're getting at what I think you're getting at, it's just the thumbnails as created by the image uploader I used. The originals are fine. :)

DECEiFER wrote: »
    If you're getting at what I think you're getting at, it's just the thumbnails as created by the image uploader I used. The originals are fine. :)

Just messing my Samsung s6 was very same.

Edit: do you mind me asking is there much hassle using the Asus? I assume you can install a vpn on that yeh?

Just messing my Samsung s6 was very same.

I know - you're grand. I took them on an S8 but I use an image uploader script that I host. It's a very old script written for a much earlier version of PHP and it got the thumbnail's orientation wrong.

Edit: do you mind me asking is there much hassle using the Asus? I assume you can install a vpn on that yeh?
    I think it's a sweet router. You can install a VPN and all that jazz. I haven't tried it but it's all there in the menu. I'm at work now so I'll send you screenshots later.

Its UI is very easy and quick to get around, and its WiFi speeds are consistently quick, among other things just working as they should, so I can only highly recommend it for its price-point.

I think it's a sweet router. You can install a VPN and all that jazz. I haven't tried it but it's all there in the menu. I'm at work now so I'll send you screenshots later.

Its UI is very easy and quick to get around, and its WiFi speeds are consistently quick, among other things just working as they should, so I can only highly recommend it for its price-point.

Would much appreciate that feel free to drop me a pm just so we not dragging thread offtopic.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

KOR101 wrote: »
    SIRO rolling a large drum of green cable into ducts on the Harry Reynolds road near Westbrook in Balbriggan. They're not hanging around.

I was dropping home my sons friend this afternoon and there is a very significant amount of civil works going on in a large chunk of Balbriggan. I think Virgin and Eir are going to be losing quite a few customers.

Does anyone know if Vodafone have plans to move customers from the Eir fttc system over to the Siro based system?

Praetorian wrote: »
    I was dropping home my sons friend this afternoon and there is a very significant amount of civil works going on in a large chunk of Balbriggan. I think Virgin and Eir are going to be losing quite a few customers.

Does anyone know if Vodafone have plans to move customers from the Eir fttc system over to the Siro based system?

They're two separate products. I moved from the FTTC one today to SIRO. You'd need to request it, pick a plan, and start a new contract. Balbriggan is on the list but it's only in the planning stage so I reckon it'll be at least middle 2018 before it's available there.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

They're two separate products. I moved from the FTTC one today to SIRO. You'd need to request it, pick a plan, and start a new contract. Balbriggan is on the list but it's only in the planning stage so I reckon it'll be at least middle 2018 before it's available there.

I wonder will Vodafone take a proactive approach at any stage to try and move customers over.

Balbriggan is definitely beyond planning though, there has already been quite a lot of civil engineering completed. It's not listed in the "coming soon" towns it will likely be one of the next towns to be added to that section from what I can see and from what men on the ground have told me.

Praetorian wrote: »
    I wonder will Vodafone take a proactive approach at any stage to try and move customers over.

Balbriggan is definitely beyond planning though, there has already been quite a lot of civil engineering completed. It's not listed in the "coming soon" towns it will likely be one of the next towns to be added to that section from what I can see and from what men on the ground have told me.

No, I doubt it. There are home installs that have to be completed and they certainly need the customer's approval. Drilling a hole through people's houses without permission wouldn't go down well. :) The best they can do is get their sales team to upsell over the phone and door-to-door, which I believe they're already doing to a degree.

You could be right and let's hope so! It seems like this delayed rollout is beginning to pick up some pace again.

Just looking at the installs, so if the ESB meter box is on one side of the house do the run the fibre cable outside the house and enter the premises where you request it?

• Advertisement

glic83 wrote: »
    Just looking at the installs, so if the ESB meter box is on one side of the house do the run the v cable outside the house and enter the premises where you request it?
    No idea for sure. I wanted them to drill right where the box is, so it suited us both. I guess they could run the cable on the outside to elsewhere around the home - you'd have to ask them or hopefully someone here has had it done. However, indoors they'll place an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) to convert the optical signal to Ethernet and you can run an Ethernet cable where you want the modem to go as well. The tech doing the indoor portion of the install ran me a long enough Ethernet cable to the other side of the room where I wanted the router to go and put clips along the way on the skirting board to keep it tidy. It took him only a moment. However, if I didn't tell him where I wanted the router to go, he would most likely have assumed I'd want it right where the ONT (Ethernet socket) is, so bear that in mind.

No idea. I wanted them to drill right where the box was. I guess they could run the cable on the outside to elsewhere around the home - you'd have to ask them or hopefully someone here has had it done. However, indoors they'll place an ONT to convert the optical signal to Ethernet and you can run an Ethernet cable where you want the modem to go as well.

Just looking where your ESB box is, that wall would be the the end wall for the kids play room, it would have to come along the front of the house to get to the sitting room,

glic83 wrote: »
    Just looking where your ESB box is, that wall would be the the end wall for the kids play room, it would have to come along the front of the house to get to the sitting room,

With any luck they can run it alongside the lower part of the wall and drill in where you want it to go. Some folks have their electricity boxes outside the laundry room so I'd imagine they'd have flexibility for customers to choose another location. It has to come from the electricity box, though, so as far as your house is concerned, that's your point of origin.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Happy days!

Latest Roll out news

We are delighted to announce that our build is advanced in Athlone, Balbriggan, Bray, Greystones and Swords.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

Was just reading that the rollout in Athlone is going on in the Bushfield / Cornamaddy / Woodville estates (Blackberry Lane, Drunnaconn, The Orchard, & Coill Ur) and also in the Garrycastle area. Is that all they are going to be covering or do they announce more later on??

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭Vico1612

KOR101 wrote: »
    Happy days!

Latest Roll out news

We are delighted to announce that our build is advanced in Athlone, Balbriggan, Bray, Greystones and Swords.

I'm delighted to announce that pavements in my estate in Balbriggan look like Swiss cheese ... The guys had some fun this week digging the place up ...

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Westport is live from today. Just a small batch of 100-odd premises for the moment (St. Mary's Crescent and Horkan's Hill), but it's good to see it live.

We're currently offering the first month free to new SIRO customers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Westport is live from today. Just a small batch of 100-odd premises for the moment (St. Mary's Crescent and Horkan's Hill), but it's good to see it live.

We're currently offering the first month free to new SIRO customers.

There was a hive of activity down by the business park the last few days, I assume no word on this yet?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

There was a hive of activity down by the business park the last few days, I assume no word on this yet?

There's always a certain amount of lag time from build to go-live, presumably for testing and commissioning.

The fact that there's fibre as far as the business park and SIRO manhole covers in the ground would leave me very confident that service will be available there quite soon - probably November at this stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Not specific dates, no. We have 466 premises available to connect right now in Castlebar, and as I understand it the plan is to get that number up to around the 2,000 mark by the end of the year, so the network build is ongoing.

Hi Paul, just checking back in with ya, any details of further deployments planned for Castlebar (Rosslee) yet?

Advertisement