Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

briggy wrote: »
    ctlsleh wrote: »
    Lots of overhead fiber being deployed in Ennis by Siro right now.......even passing outside my estate, however our electricity is ducted, there are no poles........anyone experienced that and know how long it takes them to comeback and push the fiber through the ducts into the estate........?

From when they started work in our estate to when we could actually order Siro was about 6 months. May be sooner for other estates in Ennis as we were on the first phase of houses to go live. It only took a couple of weeks for them to actually come in to the estate after deploying the overhead fibre on the main road.

Which part of ennis is that....?

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭briggy

Which part of ennis is that....?

Roslevan, seems like the only part of the town that actually has it available at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Yes, it's VDSL. It's still not fibre. And, yes: I understood what you meant. I'm not having a go at you, I'm having a go at the idiocy that has allowed non-fibre technologies to be marketed as fibre in this country, which has had a great many subtle policy impacts because not everybody does understand what you meant.

Fibre is fibre. xDSL is xDSL. Let's not be complicit in the dishonest marketing that conflates the two completely different technologies.

Its actually called FTTC - Fibre to the Cabinet

The latter being FTTH/P - Fibre to the Home / Premises

VDSL would be the correct technical description for it rather than XDSL not all exchanges or cabniets have had vectoring completed.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Bazzy wrote: »
    Its actually called FTTC - Fibre to the Cabinet

Yeah, that's a bit of a misnomer since eVDSL came along. When it's exchange-launched, there's no cabinet for there to be fibre-to.

However you slice it, it's not fibre, it's copper.

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    Got an estimated date for the service to go live in my area around November. Can't wait.

Where did you find that info....?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

Where did you find that info....?

I was talking to them on Twitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

http://www.siro.ie is down this morning.
    Hopefully there's some updates/info rolling out

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

New email out this morning saying Castlebar and Westport are live.

Website back up with no map until you enter your address.

Sadly my address is not live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

irishgeo wrote: »
    New email out this morning saying Castlebar and Westport are live.

Website back up with no map until you enter your address.

Sadly my address is not live.

Where do you check the address?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Where do you check the address?

Siro.ie

Enter your eircode with no spaces

• Advertisement

irishgeo wrote: »
    Siro.ie

Enter your eircode with no spaces

Sorry, long day, figured it out.

There is not a lot of places covered around castlebar, I'll check westport tomorrow.

I see Vodafone are calling the product Gigabit, irrespective of which package you go with. So, 300mbps gigabit broadband. Lovely mess they have all got themselves into using fibre for fttc products.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

Sorry, long day, figured it out.

There is not a lot of places covered around castlebar, I'll check westport tomorrow.

I see Vodafone are calling the product Gigabit, irrespective of which package you go with. So, 300mbps gigabit broadband. Lovely mess they have all got themselves into using fibre for fttc products.

To be fair it's using GPON which is Gigabit technology, the speed the end customer pays for doesn't matter so much.

Kind of like other companies saying that they have cable broadband, and as you say it's probably more down to the mess that fibre broadband is already associated with speeds lower than 20Mb/s

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

I'm afraid not, and it's hard to see why. Kilkenny Close is covered, but neither Woodlawn Park nor Rosslee is. The only consolation I can offer is that it would make sense for those estates to be in the next phase, which shouldn't be far away.

Thanks Paul. Any update on target dates for next phase yet?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Thanks Paul. Any update on target dates for next phase yet?

Not specific dates, no. We have 466 premises available to connect right now in Castlebar, and as I understand it the plan is to get that number up to around the 2,000 mark by the end of the year, so the network build is ongoing. The first Westport phase should be coming online in the next few weeks also, but I don't know where that will be yet.

We connected our first SIRO customer at 350Mb/s this week, and I have to say it was a very painless process on every level. We're looking forward to connecting a lot more.

424976.jpg

424977.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Haven't been following along the past few months but I'm guessing the stupid 1TB/month policy is still in effect on the gigabit package?

Has anyone here gone over 1TB in a month? Are they enforcing it?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Oat23 wrote: »
    Haven't been following along the past few months but I'm guessing the stupid 1TB/month policy is still in effect on the gigabit package?

Has anyone here gone over 1TB in a month? Are they enforcing it?

Are you thinking about eir's FTTH?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Are you thinking about eir's FTTH?

Vodafone and Digiweb operate a similar 1tb data limit using their services through both Siro and OpenEir FTTH. Only Westnet offer truly unlimited data allowance and unfortunately that is only available in Mayo, the other 25 counties have to deal with the data limit no matter who the provider is.

Hopefully Eir, Vodafone and Digiweb soon see sense and raise that data limit soon, that limit has been in operation nearly 2 years now and could really do with being raised to meet expectations/requirements in late 2017 and 2018. There isn't even an option/plan to go for a higher data cap.

Westport industrial estate seems to be finished wiring.

Kn dug outside each electricity pillar and I assume pulled fibre or at least ducting.

Surely can be long now....

Kn dug outside each electricity pillar and I assume pulled fibre or at least ducting.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

It really shouldn't be long. There will be a fibre from SIRO's core network to an ODP in that chamber, and then individual drop fibres from the ODP to the premises. The link from Westport to Castlebar is built and should complete testing shortly. I'm not sure how much core network build is left to do in Westport.

I'll post here with updates when new premises are released to us in either Castlebar or Westport.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,416 ✭✭✭XsApollo

How are they on time for the 50 town rollout?
    It's hard to find recent info on when they predict the 50 towns will be live.
    Is it still the end of 2018?
    Or more precisely what the timeframe for Shannon town does anybody know.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

XsApollo wrote: »
    How are they on time for the 50 town rollout?
    It's hard to find recent info on when they predict the 50 towns will be live.
    Is it still the end of 2018?
    Or more precisely what the timeframe for Shannon town does anybody know.

they are way behind in general. there is about 14 of those 50 towns currently live. There were complaints in Navan, they were promised Siro nearly 2 years ago and they are still not even started. Navan is one of the many towns were nothing has started yet.

http://www.meathchronicle.ie/news/roundup/articles/2017/05/03/4139404-anger-at-delay-in-broadband-delivery/

Gonzo wrote: »
    Hopefully Eir, Vodafone and Digiweb soon see sense and raise that data limit soon, that limit has been in operation nearly 2 years now and could really do with being raised to meet expectations/requirements in late 2017 and 2018. There isn't even an option/plan to go for a higher data cap.

Having a 1TB limit on any package these days is ridiculous, but on 350MB or 1 gig it's beyond stupid.

I wish Westnet were in Sligo :(

Having a 1TB limit on any package these days is ridiculous, but on 350MB or 1 gig it's beyond stupid.

I wish Westnet were in Sligo :(

those caps are fine if there is 1, maybe 2 people at the most using the internet but for a family or a group of people sharing a house it's just not enough.

Even in Australia where they have generally slower and more contended internet than here, they have data plans with between 1tb and 4tb of data per month on offer for their 12/1, 25/5 and 100/40 FTTC/FTTN services.

All our FTTH service providers should have data plans something like this to take advantage of our faster connections.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-bundles

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

those caps are fine if there is 1, maybe 2 people at the most using the internet but for a family or a group of people sharing a house it's just not enough.

Even in Australia where they have generally slower and more contended internet than here, they have data plans with between 1tb and 4tb of data per month on offer for their 12/1, 25/5 and 100/40 FTTC/FTTN services.

All our FTTH service providers should have data plans something like this to take advantage of our faster connections.

https://www.telstra.com.au/broadband/nbn/nbn-bundles

Pretty expensive but at least it's an option. What is the download speed for that though?

I know a few people on Vodafone FTTH that smash their 1TB each month and are never questioned on it though. Have only heard of Eir that are enforcing it.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

digiman wrote: »
    Pretty expensive but at least it's an option. What is the download speed for that though?

I know a few people on Vodafone FTTH that smash their 1TB each month and are never questioned on it though. Have only heard of Eir that are enforcing it.

Vodafone have complained with FTTC before, I've friends who stream TV from home (eastern europe) and were firmly asked to calm the jets.

digiman wrote: »

Interesting. I would love the extra upload speeds for work but I am worried about them enforcing the limit. I'd even pay for a business package if they allowed it to be honest..
    My virgin usage from April - July:

XWe_cTxlQ2W_AfNPTxvbMQ.png

Interesting. I would love the extra upload speeds for work but I am worried about them enforcing the limit. I'd even pay for a business package if they allowed it to be honest..
    My virgin usage from April - July:

XWe_cTxlQ2W_AfNPTxvbMQ.png

if you did that on Eir FTTH, Eir would probably charge you 100 euros on top of your plan package each month. There were several complaints to the Eir reps on boards from customers being charged up to 100 euros per month for going over the allowance. Some were charged on a per gig basis, others were charged flat out the full 100 euros, so it's not something worth risking. What makes things worse is that Eir's website claims that there is absolutely no usage limits and the data limit is calculated between billing cycle and not per month as is shown on the usage calculator. Not sure if Vodafone or Digiweb have a similar method of measuring/charging for extra data. This issue about the data not enough, having to work out billing cycle usage and false advertising about no usage limits has been raised to the Eir reps but I doubt anything will ever be done about it.

if you did that on Eir FTTH, Eir would probably charge you 100 euros on top of your plan package each month. There were several complaints to the Eir reps on boards from customers being charged up to 100 euros per month for going over the allowance. Some were charged on a per gig basis, others were charged flat out the full 100 euros, so it's not something worth risking. What makes things worse is that Eir's website claims that there is absolutely no usage limits and the data limit is calculated between billing cycle and not per month as is shown on the usage calculator. Not sure if Vodafone or Digiweb have a similar method of measuring/charging for extra data. This issue about the data not enough, having to work out billing cycle usage and false advertising about no usage limits has been raised to the Eir reps but I doubt anything will ever be done about it.

I wouldn't touch Eir again. They might have changed their name from Eircom but they can get f*cked. Never giving them a penny after the hassle everyone in our street had with them years ago.

I'll probably stick with Virgin for now and make do, hoping Voda see sense on this 1TB/month limit soon. I don't think it's worth the risk right now switching to Vodafone and being locked into an 18 month contract if they end up enforcing their data cap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

I think once they get going on a town they move pretty fast in fairness. I remember seeing 15+ vans in Drogheda one day. Looked like a major push.

Advertisement