Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,516 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

KOR101 wrote: »

So Vodafone want's its cake and eat it, imagine what their Irish arm would say if open-eir did similar with a competitor
    Under rules set by Ofcom, the former state telecoms monopoly must sell access to its network on equal terms to all retailers including BT’s consumer arm. Vodafone is understood to be demanding a period of exclusivity over any new infrastructure, however, to allow it to build its position in the market.

It is understood that Openreach and Ofcom have held early talks over how the regulations could be relaxed to allow Vodafone to invest. The operator could have sole use of new broadband lines at first, for instance, and access to faster speeds than rivals once the infrastructure is opened up to competition.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Kn and esb crews working near where the bypass will start/end around westport today, pretty sure I spotted bundled fibre hanging from the esb poles....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

One of the ftth providers has put ducting on poles in Kinsealy, Co. Dublin. Anyone have any more information?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Athlone planned to go live in October

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

billbond4 wrote: »
    Athlone planned to go live in October

What? Where did you get that from? I was told November

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭cunnijo

bloodyhawk wrote: »
    What? Where did you get that from? I was told November

November of which year? You'll find that it will be 2018 before it will happen. I mean Newbridge in Kildare was due to go live earlier this year but to date no announcements from Siro or its resellers. It seems their rollout plans seem to be way off base.

So don't get too excited just yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Vodafone Sales team were in my estate in Athlone yesterday and said it

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

cunnijo wrote: »
    November of which year? You'll find that it will be 2018 before it will happen. I mean Newbridge in Kildare was due to go live earlier this year but to date no announcements from Siro or its resellers. It seems their rollout plans seem to be way off base.

So don't get too excited just yet.

This year is what I was told

• Advertisement

Kn and esb running lines on the Newport road near the maxol filling station.

Westnet Paul, is this the link back to castlebar?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Kn and esb running lines on the Newport road near the maxol filling station.

Westnet Paul, is this the link back to castlebar?

I'm pretty sure that's all part of the in-town infrastructure build. The link to Castlebar is up and running.

I'm pretty sure that's all part of the in-town infrastructure build. The link to Castlebar is up and running.

Ah OK, thanks. Any idea on live dates in westport?

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Ah OK, thanks. Any idea on live dates in westport?

Not yet, and always wary of speculating before we have anything firm to offer, but it feels imminent. We'll be participating in a joint marketing exercise with SIRO in Westport on Monday, I believe, so if you see us at the Octagon feel free to say hello.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,423 ✭✭✭Nollog

Praetorian wrote: »
    Post some screenshots / photos to make us jealous ;)

It was just 16 to 17MiBps, spot on for 150Mbps
    9726_9726 wrote: »
    Hi

I'd be particular interested in the cable job. Any photos of the outside?

They left it bear. I didn't think to check until they were well gone. Hope it's well insulated in just the black rubber.

https://i.imgur.com/PxdfRvk.jpg - Inside (Setup)
    https://i.imgur.com/FXJp26C.jpg - Inside (ONT)
    https://i.imgur.com/MU9SNFJ.jpg - ONT Box
    https://i.imgur.com/MFtOKfr.jpg - Outside
    https://i.imgur.com/KBOXQ7e.jpg - Outside Zoomed In

/\/ollog wrote: »
    [url][/url]https://i.imgur.com/MU9SNFJ.jpg - ONT Box

Comparing with an open-eir install, they are using the same model ONT, Huawei HG8010H but configured for SIRO.
    Also I note there's no internal ODP, is this standard? If the ONT isn't sitting directly on the cable entry point do they install an ODP, I remember seeing an external box at the cable entry point on one of the install pics posted here previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

The Cush wrote: »
    Comparing with an open-eir install, they are using the same model ONT, Huawei HG8010H but configured for SIRO.
    Also I note there's no internal ODP, is this standard? If the ONT isn't sitting directly on the cable entry point do they install an ODP, I remember seeing an external box at the cable entry point on one of the install pics posted here previously.

That install is not finished!! Not a fibre cable in sight sure!!

They installed a small white box outside last october. One for every block of apartments. My wire comes from that and up into a hole they drilled.

An installation 2 blocks down from me has a really bad hole drilled, I'll try and take a picture later on. Kinda glad it took them a month to get a hoist for my install, as that one was done on a ladder at the same height.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Thanks for those. So one splitter box on the outside, then clipped cable to each drop. Basic enough, but sure it works!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,485 ✭✭✭Red Alert

Is there any problem using one's own router connected to the ONT?

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Red Alert wrote: »
    Is there any problem using one's own router connected to the ONT?

As long as you can configure it to the ISP's specs (probably PPPoE on VLAN 10, but may vary) then it should be fine. If things go wrong, though, you may find the ISP less sympathetic when it comes to troubleshooting.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Also worth noting that older/cheaper units may not be able to NAT at 350Mb and 1000Mb so the WRT54G in your closet is useless.

If you order TV from eir/Vodafone its best not bother unless you're willing to spend some time at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

According to the map Siro is live on the Old Cratloe Road in Limerick, yet when I check my address, it's not available . There has been a good few TTL vans in the estate this week ( they have been coming and going for the last few months but in the last few months also) . Hopefully it comes out soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Mgit

It seems they don't put the box outside now. Two of my neighbours got it recently and everything seems to be inside, or else they allow outside box to be inside garage. For me they insisted on putting box outside on wall.

Could also be inside meter box, but def not installed the same as me or many of the neighbours who have it a long time.

Mgit wrote: »
    Could also be inside meter box, but def not installed the same as me or many of the neighbours who have it a long time.
    According to Westnet:Paul recently the meter enclosure is a conduit only, fibre passes straight through.
    No, the fibre comes into the meter cabinet and has to exit immediately, per ESB Networks requirements. You can see that in the picture I posted, where the fibre exits the meter cabinet and travels to the external coupler, from where it heads indoors to the indoor coupler on the inside wall.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Saw a guy in a SIRO branded hi-vis surveying street pillars in Navan. Also saw MCS with a large roll of orange subduct outside the Ardboyne hotel on the Dublin road. I'm not sure if MCS are working for SIRO but the area is not part of the Openeir rural rollout so it's possible that the may have started in Navan.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Saw again a few vans from Obelisk / Siro in Balbriggan again today, they have ran their main cable all the way down Harry Reynolds road afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Praetorian wrote: »
    Saw again a few vans from Obelisk / Siro in Balbriggan again today, they have ran their main cable all the way down Harry Reynolds road afaik.
    If that's their workings all the way to roundabout then that's a huge amount of civils works.

glic83 wrote: »
    According to the map Siro is live on the Old Cratloe Road in Limerick, yet when I check my address, it's not available . There has been a good few TTL vans in the estate this week ( they have been coming and going for the last few months but in the last few months also) . Hopefully it comes out soon.

Same thing here. Just wait for a rep to call and they'll get you sorted. Siro and Vodafone telesales aren't as... Dedicated as a door to door works on commission seller. They actually know what they're doing because they get paid to.
    You can read my post history here to see the effort I went through to get it and eventually it took a single email and my eircode for Paul at the door.

Anyway, I forgot to post this.
    https://i.imgur.com/WYh60sz.jpg a few blocks down this is the hole they drilled I was saying looked awful.

Funnily enough the same 2 lads who had to get a hoist to install mine were an inch lower accross the way from me using a ladder to install last Wednesday. Interesting. They also made a pig's ear of that one though.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

SIRO build has definitely started in Navan. They have been visiting homes checking ducting and handing out postcards with information about the service.

Advertisement