Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

The Cush wrote: »
    They do

New_Picture2.png

Where's that table from, if I may ask ?

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Uploads with SIRO are fixed defined .. obviously the operators can customize downwards.

Found the actual SIRO table in my documentation:

150/30
    350/70
    600/120
    1000/200

So yes, it's 70 mbit/s on 350. SIRO usually allows a bit more.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Where's that table from, if I may ask ?

open-eir NGA IPM - http://www.openeir.ie/WorkArea/DownloadAsset.aspx?id=4842

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

Found the actual SIRO table in my documentation:

150/30
    350/70
    600/120
    1000/200

So yes, it's 70 mbit/s on 350. SIRO usually allows a bit more.

/M
    Excellent and it all adds up to what I was told about it being 20% of the download speed. I get mostly 71, close to and sometimes exceeding 72.

DECEiFER wrote: »
    Excellent and it all adds up to what I was told about it being 20% of the download speed. I get mostly 71, close to and sometimes exceeding 72.

Yeah .. remembered it wrong .. had it written down somewhere, but couldn't remember. They don't make it easy to look up :) .. it's somewhere in their presentation material.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

deeobrien wrote: »
    I assume you can't use your own router if you also have a phone with them? Just signed up for 150 broadband and home phone with Vodafone (SIRO). The phone plugs in to the router so I'm guessing I'll have to use the Vodafone route. Could I put the VF router in bridge mode and still connect the phone?
    deeobrien wrote: »
    oh ok - the vodafone sales person said the phone would be plugged in to the router. It is what I was expecting as well (same as Virgin cable broadband). Even better if its not.

Yes, I believe you have to use the supplied router is you take their VoIP phone service which has the pre-set settings, a standard phone plugs into the rear of the supplied router as Johnboy1951 posts.
    The phone would be plugged into the router if you get a VOIP 'phone line' which is carried over broadband.

The Cush wrote: »
    Yes, I believe you have to use the supplied router is you take their VoIP phone service which has the pre-set settings, a standard phone plugs into the rear of the supplied router as Johnboy1951 posts.
    Do they offer a VoIP phone service yet? My understanding was that if you took phone with SIRO (the SIRO plans don't seem to offer it as a bundle, so I imaged it as a separate product entirely) it would be over the traditional phone line.

Do they offer a VoIP phone service yet? My understanding was that if you took phone with SIRO (the SIRO plans don't seem to offer it as a bundle, so I imaged it as a separate product entirely) it would be over the traditional phone line.

Phone has nothing to do with SIRO. It's up to the provider, how they want to deliver phone services.

Can't see, why Vodafone wouldn't be able to deliver phone service over VoIP. Their Femtocells (Vodafone Sure Signal) also use VoIP.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭jimmad

Anyone else experiencing an outage, down for me in letterkenny... I switched from eir fftc and took my number with me and it's running over voip now with siro, no issues up until tonight.

Phone has nothing to do with SIRO. It's up to the provider, how they want to deliver phone services.

Can't see, why Vodafone wouldn't be able to deliver phone service over VoIP. Their Femtocells (Vodafone Sure Signal) also use VoIP.

/M

No I'm just saying that at this time I don't see any SIRO plans bundled with phone on their website. So it was more is it a thing yet, rather than will it ever be a thing. I don't see why not, but at this time if you want a phone service with Vodafone if you have or are getting SIRO, will it be via Eir's traditional copper line or VoIP?

• Advertisement

No I'm just saying that at this time I don't see any SIRO plans bundled with phone on their website. So it was more is it a thing yet, rather than will it ever be a thing. I don't see why not, but at this time if you want a phone service with Vodafone if you have or are getting SIRO, will it be via Eir's traditional copper line or VoIP?

Don't think so. That would be a massive loss to them. They would have to pay OpenEIR the rental for the copper line then, on top of paying SIRO for the FTTH line rental.

They're selling their product at near nothing for the first 6 months as it is.

/M

I've got Vodafone siro bundled with phone and it's on voip through the router supplied.

Don't think so. That would be a massive loss to them. They would have to pay OpenEIR the rental for the copper line then, on top of paying SIRO for the FTTH line rental.

They're selling their product at near nothing for the first 6 months as it is.

/M
    It'll be interesting to find out for sure. Their website lacks a lot of details and they're slow to update even the towns it's available in. Limerick only seemed to make the list in the last few days, in spite of me having it since September 19. So perhaps you can bundle VoIP on the phone with their sales team...

EDIT:
    jimmad wrote: »
    I've got Vodafone siro bundled with phone and it's on voip through the router supplied.
    Mystery solved!

The next question is, with the phone service on the HG569, can the Ethernet interface be bridged so that a third-party router can be used without double-NATting?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

Anyone else experiencing an outage, down for me in letterkenny... I switched from eir fftc and took my number with me and it's running over voip now with siro, no issues up until tonight.

Mine went out around 11pm nothing I've tried has fixed it. The lights on the ont say everything is fine but the HG modem is flashing mad.

In letterkenny also, good to know it's not just me

/\/ollog wrote: »
    Mine went out around 11pm nothing I've tried has fixed it. The lights on the internet say everything is fine but the HG modem is flashing mad.

In letterkenny also, good to know it's not just me
    Yup it's goosed, not receiving an ip on the wan rebooted router and reset the ont no dice, text a friend on siro aswell he hasn't got the message I'm assume he's out too

Must be Virgin Media sabotaging the feed considering all the disruptions SIRO caused to their customers during the works - myself included as a non-profit organization I'm involved with has a mission-critical Virgin connection that went down due to the ESB a few times in the last month at least, but we're too poor to afford a redundancy. :D

That said, mine's up and running in Limerick. But these things happen, sadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

Yup it's goosed, not receiving an ip on the wan rebooted router and reset the ont no dice, text a friend on siro aswell he hasn't got the message I'm assume he's out too

Log says
    PPP PADI timeout!

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

It'll be interesting to find out for sure. Their website lacks a lot of details and they're slow to update even the towns it's available in. Limerick only seemed to make the list in the last few days, in spite of me having it since September 19. So perhaps you can bundle VoIP on the phone with their sales team...

All the vodafone SIRO plans can get phone included for an extra €5 a month. (Free for the first 6 months). The price also lead me to believe its a VOIP offering.
    The next question is, with the phone service on the HG569, can the Ethernet interface be bridged so that a third-party router can be used without double-NATting?

Yes that is what I was wondering. My original plan was to not use the VF router at all but I forgot about the phone service. I am currently on Sky and couldn't bridge the router so ended up changing my own router to just be an access point. (WIFI much better on my own router) Just trying to reduce the number of boxes powered :-) I'll be adding a HIVE hub next week as well.

Sky's Q Hub (if that's what you had) can't be bridged. I had one myself briefly before going to Vodafone so I double NAT'ed. You can bridge the HG659 fine under normal circumstances, which I had been doing from June until I got SIRO, but I was merely concerned with bridging while using the VoIP - if that was okay. Otherwise you could double NAT instead and use your own router in the HG's DMZ.

Sky's Q Hub (if that's what you had) can't be bridged. I had one myself briefly before going to Vodafone so I double NAT'ed. You can bridge the HG659 fine under normal circumstances, which I had been doing from June until I got SIRO, but I was merely concerned with bridging while using the VoIP - if that was okay. Otherwise you could double NAT instead and use your own router in the HG's DMZ.

If we can get somebody, who has the VoIP service to check, how it's configured in the HG659, then that should be possible to find out fairly quickly.

SIRO has two options to providers, where you either can provide the VoIP in-band or in a seperate Vlan.

IF ... the VoIP has it's own VLan and PPPoE session, then there is nothing in the way of bridging the internet portion, while the phone continues to work.

Having said that .. that obviously also requires, that the HG659 can do this.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Are they still using PPP with SIRO? Surely they should move to the IPoE model for multicast TV.

ED E wrote: »
    Are they still using PPP with SIRO? Surely they should move to the IPoE model for multicast TV.
    They are, I believe, and that's how I am connecting in the AC68U.

Both models should be possible over SIRO, but for the internet portion of the service most providers on SIRO (and OpenEIR FTTH) are currently using PPPoE.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Got Siro installed today in Limerick(through Vodafone). Very happy so far and got them to put it in the sitting room so an extra bit of work for the but they only had to follow the sat cable.
    Went with the 150/30 package and I'm getting that .

NbnEpS5m.jpg

6pzK521m.jpg

wHqgMLbm.jpg

Nice n' tidy! Glad you finally got it, glic.

Nice n' tidy! Glad you finally got it, glic.

Cheers DECEiFER, very happy with it and from talking to the lads Vodafone will let you run to where you want it, digiweb want it to the nearest possible PowerPoint so great to get it in the front room.

glic83 wrote: »
    Cheers DECEiFER, very happy with it and from talking to the lads Vodafone will let you run to where you want it, digiweb want it to the nearest possible PowerPoint so great to get it in the front room.
    The lads that install it work for Dinny O'B (Actavo, formerly Siteserv) - at least they were for me and I reckon they work for SIRO so it possibly wouldn't matter a whole bunch who you're paying for the service. But it's good to know that they will accommodate folks by routing the cable further.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

glic83 wrote: »
    Supermassive images

If you edit your post by adding an "l" in the URL before .jpg the images will size down to a reasonable 800px or so.

If you edit your post by adding an "l" in the URL before .jpg the images will size down to a reasonable 800px or so.

Cheers for that didn't know they were showing up that big as look fine on the phone, checked on the tablet and see what you mean
    Checked the links they already have a .I at the start

Did a search it's actually letters you use.

Taken from elsewhere as an example

Small Square - http://i.imgur.com/12345s.jpg
    Big Square - http://i.imgur.com/12345b.jpg
    Small Thumbnail - http://i.imgur.com/12345t.jpg
    Medium Thumbnail - http://i.imgur.com/12345m.jpg
    Large Thumbnail - http://i.imgur.com/12345l.jpg
    Huge Thumbnail - http://i.imgur.com/12345h.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 565 ✭✭✭bodonnell

@glic83
    What part of Limerick are they offering this ?

Advertisement