Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

theShire wrote: »
    I seem to remember someone mention a "hockey stick" in d meter box to allow the cable to be pulled. I'm pretty sure that isn't there in mine.
    If there's a red duct visible in the bottom of your meter box, that's almost certainly the top of a hockey stick - they've been standard equipment for a very long time, as far as I'm aware.
    Any idea how long installation could take if that isn't in place?
    I really don't. If you do sign up, your retailer should be able to give you more info.

You can't trust the salespeople. They'd tell you every sort of a lie to sign you up.
    Depends on the salespeople ;)
    How will they service the apt blocks? I presume they would have some sort of comms room and the wiring would go through all internal ducting? Maybe a cleaner job than a house.

There are a couple of different approaches. If internal ducting is available, fibre will be brought through it to each individual apartment. If not, and if the management company is amenable, fibre will be routed around the outside of the building. In any case, each apartment gets its own ONT.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Historically OMCs have been terrible when it comes to plant additions. You'll have a copper loom from basement to each dwelling so xDSL can be patched in but when a PON or CATV provider comes in they often don't want the hassle even if several tenants are begging for the service.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

ED E wrote: »
    Historically OMCs have been terrible when it comes to plant additions. You'll have a copper loom from basement to each dwelling so xDSL can be patched in but when a PON or CATV provider comes in they often don't want the hassle even if several tenants are begging for the service.

Ya that will be a big issue in terms of Siro getting good signup numbers. Get into a big block of apts and you could have 50 - 100 potential clients. Even smaller blocks of 10 - 20 gives a big opportunity especially if they can get the mgt companies onside.

The cheapest packages are on a par with any other basic package and I presume no alterations would need to be made if upgrading to a higher package.

The cheapest packages are on a par with any other basic package and I presume no alterations would need to be made if upgrading to a higher package.

No physical alterations, no. The same ONT is good to 1Gb/s. There may be a cost involved in downgrading - check with your retailer - but upgrades should always be free and very quick.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

If there's a red duct visible in the bottom of your meter box, that's almost certainly the top of a hockey stick - they've been standard equipment for a very long time, as far as I'm aware.

Thanks I'll look again in my meter box in the morning.

Be interesting to hear if anyone has had the install done when this isn't in place and if it caused much hassle to overcome

• Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Thanks I'll look again in my meter box in the morning.

Be interesting to hear if anyone has had the install done when this isn't in place and if it caused much hassle to overcome

This link to a "hockey stick" was posted previously

cb9178de3b12f7e9e52eb9e48e2f7541a29491d4.jpg
    https://www.goodwins.ie/products/50mm-red-esb-ducting-hockey-stick-0031346.html?name=esb+duct&type=simple

• Registered Users Posts: 779 ✭✭✭ctlsleh

Salesman at the door today in Ennis.
    Existing customer so offer is free for 3months, 3months at reduced 40e and then 50/month for 12months.

He said if I signed up today, it'd be installed next week (hard to believe)

Also said that I'd see a drop in my current speed on VF fibre because all my neighbours have signed up for siro.

Not a fan of that sales technique so said no thanks - I can always just sign up online when I want

Which part of Ennis.....?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,093 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Saw a man surveying one of our lampposts here in Clontarf, Dublin 3. He was in jeep with "4Site" marked on the jeep along with Heuwei and Siro on it. Didn't get a chance to ask him. But he sent a drone up to the lamppost and was taking photos. I must point out that the lamppost carries the power cables for the road.

I didn't think we were planned for Siro.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,429 ✭✭✭Nollog

Guys, I finally got it installed Thursday evening.

150mbit.

I've done speed tests and it's a little underwhelming. I can only get 150 from speed test.net every other speed test shows in the 70s. Bad routing?
    My own server (ovh) downloads at 4 mBps, underwhelming. When I was with upc years ago on 150 I got 15mBps solid.

Anything I should do looking at in the router?

I took some pictures of the equipment if anyone's interested I'll post them up later. I'm in an apartment block(about 10 apartments per block) They just ran a cable from the box outside up the outside of the building and through a hole in my living room. They needed a cherry picker because I'm on the top floor.

Edit before people point it out, I have gigabit between my speed test computer and the router. It's a hp microserver I use for storage.
    My phone connected by 5g WiFi gets between 50s and 80s I think.

• Advertisement
  • Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

/\/ollog wrote: »
    I've done speed tests and it's a little underwhelming. I can only get 150 from speed test.net every other speed test shows in the 70s. Bad routing?
    My own server (ovh) downloads at 4 mBps, underwhelming. When I was with upc years ago on 150 I got 15mBps solid.

Can you try downloading a big file from ftp.heanet.ie to your server?

I can't get on with download rates in B/s, when actual data rates are in b/s. The mental effort of checking which [bB] was used and multiplying by 8 is too much for the weekend. :pac:

I generally trust speedtest.net most, especially if you pick a well-peered server like eir or Digiweb.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

@/\/ollog,

a couple of reports of bad cables being show up by testing ...... or maybe bad connections from old cable.
    Might be worthwhile checking out cable connection stability.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Can you try downloading a big file from ftp.heanet.ie to your server?

I can't get on with download rates in B/s, when actual data rates are in b/s. The mental effort of checking which [bB] was used and multiplying by 8 is too much for the weekend. :pac:

I generally trust speedtest.net most, especially if you pick a well-peered server like eir or Digiweb.

I use FileZilla as my FTP client which gives speeds as "4 MiB/s"

Type speedtest into google, it'll give you shocking results in comparison to speedtest.net. i know speed tests aren't really important but it's the 3 or 4 MiB to my own server that's a bit of a worry. Maybe I just need to adjust my routers firewall or QoS to get higher speed FTP. I can't seem to disable QoS altogether to try though it's greyed out.
    Btw 4MiBps is 33.55 Mbps

How would one go about FTP.heanet.ie is it public anonymous?
    @/\/ollog,

a couple of reports of bad cables being show up by testing ...... or maybe bad connections from old cable.
    Might be worthwhile checking out cable connection stability.
    I don't think so, speedtest.net gives good results
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6552430066

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

How would one go about FTP.heanet.ie is it public anonymous?
    I just access it through FTP or HTTP:

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/fedora/linux/releases/26/Workstation/x86_64/iso/
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/fedora/linux/releases/26/Workstation/x86_64/iso/

Pick a nice big file from there, like the Live ISO, and download away.
    I don't think so, speedtest.net gives good results
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/6552430066

It depends where you're downloading from, of course. It looks like the broadband is working fine. There are a million variables outside of the ISP's control when it comes to speedtesting.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    I just access it through FTP or HTTP:

ftp://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/fedora/linux/releases/26/Workstation/x86_64/iso/
    http://ftp.heanet.ie/pub/fedora/fedora/linux/releases/26/Workstation/x86_64/iso/

Pick a nice big file from there, like the Live ISO, and download away.

Now those are the type of speeds I was expecting.

Must be my server/ovh then.

Thanks for helping me out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

Now those are the type of speeds I was expecting.

Must be my server/ovh then.

Thanks for helping me out :D

Post some screenshots / photos to make us jealous ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Also said that I'd see a drop in my current speed on VF fibre because all my neighbours have signed up for siro.

Not a fan of that sales technique so said no thanks - I can always just sign up online when I want

Lol, assume he meant copper. And your VDSL speed would probably stay the same but possibly *increase* if your neighbours vacate your shared network!

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Guys, I finally got it installed Thursday evening.

I took some pictures of the equipment if anyone's interested I'll post them up later. I'm in an apartment block(about 10 apartments per block) They just ran a cable from the box outside up the outside of the building and through a hole in my living room. They needed a cherry picker because I'm on the top floor.

Edit before people point it out, I have gigabit between my speed test computer and the router. It's a hp microserver I use for storage.
    My phone connected by 5g WiFi gets between 50s and 80s I think.

Hi

I'd be particular interested in the cable job. Any photos of the outside?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Praetorian

So Siro are doing the ducts on my street this morning. Cautiously optimistic that I'll be on 1000m/bit sometime in the near future.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StephenOB95

How are people finding the gigabit broadband? Is it worth getting? I've been thinking about switching from virgin media to Vodafone so I can get the gigabit broadband so any input would be appreciated

• Advertisement

How are people finding the gigabit broadband? Is it worth getting? I've been thinking about switching from virgin media to Vodafone so I can get the gigabit broadband so any input would be appreciated

Do you have a reason to do so?
    Do you find VM limiting in some way?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

VM speeds are all over the place in my area. Would much rather a more stable connection. I would be interested to know if ftth is stable?

VM speeds are all over the place in my area. Would much rather a more stable connection. I would be interested to know if ftth is stable?

Yes it is ....... but so is VM usually from posts on here.

Yes it is ....... but so is VM usually from posts on here.

Can depend a little on how many they cram onto one copper run.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭furiousox

I believe virgin fibre is a shared connection, while your siro connection is yours and yours alone?

CPL 593H

• Registered Users Posts: 2 StephenOB95

Do you have a reason to do so?
    Do you find VM limiting in some way?

I've been paying for 240mb and have just noticed on my bill that they have only been giving me 120mb, plus I'm only really getting 30-40 mb/s even though I'm using TP-Link home plugs, I'd much rather if I could get a consistent speed as I play & download a lot of games on Xbox & PC

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

furiousox wrote: »
    I believe virgin fibre is a shared connection, while your siro connection is yours and yours alone?

Siro is GPON so 2.5 Gbps down and 1.25 Gbps up is shared at whatever split ratio they use, which I believe is 1:32 so you are sharing 2.5 Gb with 31 others.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

The Cush wrote: »
    There's a black rubber duct coming into my meter carrying a cable, then another cable with no duct.
    425929.jpg
    I wonder if the black duct is the feed from the mains which can be used for siro?

Siro is GPON so 2.5 Gbps down and 1.25 Gbps up is shared at whatever split ratio they use, which I believe is 1:32 so you are sharing 2.5 Gb with 31 others.

Up to 30 others, 32 is a test port.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

There's a black rubber duct coming into my meter carrying a cable, then another cable with no duct.
    I wonder if the black duct is the feed from the mains which can be used for siro?

Looks like 1" or 1¼" normal gauge hydrodare, 25/31mm I.D. approx. The hockey stick is 50mm. Not sure if they be able to squeeze the fibre cable in? The other cable is the feed to the distribution board/fuse box.

attachment_php_attachmentid_425929_d_1503430004.jpg

Advertisement