Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Oat23 wrote: »
    I wouldn't touch Eir again. They might have changed their name from Eircom but they can get f*cked. Never giving them a penny after the hassle everyone in our street had with them years ago.

I'll probably stick with Virgin for now and make do, hoping Voda see sense on this 1TB/month limit soon. I don't think it's worth the risk right now switching to Vodafone and being locked into an 18 month contract if they end up enforcing their data cap.

FTTH is really good, I went with Eir for it because I was already with them and Vodafone don't supply FTTH in my area. Digiweb have a 200 euros install fee so that ruled them out and Pure Telecom I heard bad stories.

But if your already living in a Virgin Media area, there is no reason whatsoever to need/require FTTH as Virgin is everybit as fast, unless it's 1 gigabit that you need. Most importantly Virgin is cheaper than any of the FTTH providers and have no data limits. Siro/Eir FTTH is really a huge advantage to those who either have only had ADSL/Wireless up to now or average FTTC speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Gonzo wrote: »
    FTTH is really good, I went with Eir for it because I was already with them and Vodafone don't supply FTTH in my area. Digiweb have a 200 euros install fee so that ruled them out and Pure Telecom I heard bad stories.

But if your already living in a Virgin Media area, there is no reason whatsoever to need/require FTTH as Virgin is everybit as fast, unless it's 1 gigabit that you need. Most importantly Virgin is cheaper than any of the FTTH providers and have no data limits. Siro/Eir FTTH is really a huge advantage to those who either have only had ADSL/Wireless up to now or average FTTC speeds.

It's the upload I need really. The upload speed on SIRO is insane compared to other services. Twice as fast as Virgin's best offering almost.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,775 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

It's the upload I need really. The upload speed on SIRO is insane compared to other services. Twice as fast as Virgin's best offering almost.

that's true, both Eir and Siro's upload is much higher.

Eir's maximum upload is about 95 on speedtests, what is Siro's maximum? about 150?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,216 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

that's true, both Eir and Siro's upload is much higher.

Eir's maximum upload is about 95 on speedtests, what is Siro's maximum? about 150?

SIRO's upload speed is 20% of the download speed on Vodafone's packages:

150/30
    350/70
    1000/200

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

SIRO's upload speed is 20% of the download speed on Vodafone's packages:

150/30
    350/70
    1000/200

Its interesting the delta there:
    150 / 30
    300 / 50
    1000 / 100

With a similar PON setups I wonder whats motivated them to pick the profiles they have. Also no intermediary 4th profile of ~ 500Mb.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

It really shouldn't be long. There will be a fibre from SIRO's core network to an ODP in that chamber, and then individual drop fibres from the ODP to the premises. The link from Westport to Castlebar is built and should complete testing shortly. I'm not sure how much core network build is left to do in Westport.

I'll post here with updates when new premises are released to us in either Castlebar or Westport.

So I am guessing that the fibre from that odp in the chamber is then fed in the existing electrical ducting into the premises, assuming it's all free and clear to do so and the fibre will end up at the fuse board?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,940 ✭✭✭furiousox

The fibre cable is ran through the underground duct and is presented in the esb meter cabinet which is usually located on the outside wall of the premises.
    The engineer will then have to drill a hole through the wall to get the fibre from the exterior of the building to the interior.

CPL 593H

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

ED E wrote: »
    Its interesting the delta there:
    150 / 30
    300 / 50
    1000 / 100

With a similar PON setups I wonder whats motivated them to pick the profiles they have. Also no intermediary 4th profile of ~ 500Mb.
    There's a 600/120 profile available as well, but I don't know if any retailer has taken up that option. We didn't really see a commercial need for it.

Also, it's 350/70, unlike open eir's 300M FTTH product.
    So I am guessing that the fibre from that odp in the chamber is then fed in the existing electrical ducting into the premises, assuming it's all free and clear to do so and the fibre will end up at the fuse board?
    No, the fibre comes into the meter cabinet and has to exit immediately, per ESB Networks requirements. You can see that in the picture I posted, where the fibre exits the meter cabinet and travels to the external coupler, from where it heads indoors to the indoor coupler on the inside wall.

I'd need to check, but I think if there was suitable ducting from the meter cabinet to an internal comms cabinet, that it would be OK to use that instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

There's a 600/120 profile available as well, but I don't know if any retailer has taken up that option. We didn't really see a commercial need for it.

Also, it's 350/70, unlike open eir's 300M FTTH product.

No, the fibre comes into the meter cabinet and has to exit immediately, per ESB Networks requirements. You can see that in the picture I posted, where the fibre exits the meter cabinet and travels to the external coupler, from where it heads indoors to the indoor coupler on the inside wall.

I'd need to check, but I think if there was suitable ducting from the meter cabinet to an internal comms cabinet, that it would be OK to use that instead.

Pretty sure the meter is inside for the building in Westport that I want it installed in, still thats up to the installers to figure out.

Can you list the packages that Westnet offer please Paul? I only see the 150mb package on your website

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

From the picture posted earlier is the fibre cable not vulnerable to being tampered with given that it doesn't seem to be contained within a channel.

Couldn't someone just cut it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

From the picture posted earlier is the fibre cable not vulnerable to being tampered with given that it doesn't seem to be contained within a channel.

Couldn't someone just cut it?

There is definitely a security issue with that method of installation. It is so easy to tamper with. This cable is also likely to be carrying voice data in the future so to have it so accessible to criminals is somewhat worrying.

There is definitely a security issue with that method of installation. It is so easy to tamper with. This cable is also likely to be carrying voice data in the future so to have it so accessible to criminals is somewhat worrying.

Ahh come off it. SIP streams will all be encrypted and its rather difficult to tap a PON line which cant be said for the POTs that 90% of the country currently use. Theres unidirectional encryption at the HW level anyways.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Ahh come off it. SIP streams will all be encrypted and its rather difficult to tap a PON line which cant be said for the POTs that 90% of the country currently use. Theres unidirectional encryption at the HW level anyways.

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about tapping or intercepting traffic. More that criminals intent on breaking in may simply cut the cable now as it is so accessible thus denying the homeowner, if they are there, one method of calling for help. Perhaps this is overly paranoid view.

I think what the poster means is that alarm systems could be run through it. Cut the fibre and you have an issue.

Aren't many alarm systems run through the phone line?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 226 ✭✭PAKNET

Most copper installs in the last 5-10 years have an outside junction box where the cable exits the duct to go into the building which can be very easily opened and the copper snipped. So no great difference for the fibre.

As for alarms, the vast majority of modern panels use GSM as their primary communication path now.

Can you list the packages that Westnet offer please Paul? I only see the 150mb package on your website

150/30 - €45
    350/70 - €65
    1000/200 - €85

All inclusive of VAT. Business products should be available later this year, with symmetric bandwidth and using point-to-point fibre rather than PON - and correspondingly higher prices.

You misunderstand. I'm not talking about tapping or intercepting traffic. More that criminals intent on breaking in may simply cut the cable now as it is so accessible thus denying the homeowner, if they are there, one method of calling for help. Perhaps this is overly paranoid view.
    I think what the poster means is that alarm systems could be run through it. Cut the fibre and you have an issue.

Aren't many alarm systems run through the phone line?

We havent required battery backups for GPON installs. COMREG are clear that most can get a 2G connection if needs be to dial emergency services.
    PAKNET wrote: »
    Most copper installs in the last 5-10 years have an outside junction box where the cable exits the duct to go into the building which can be very easily opened and the copper snipped. So no great difference for the fibre.

As for alarms, the vast majority of modern panels use GSM as their primary communication path now.

This. OpenEir turned off the fixed line texting service a year or more ago so nearly all alarms went GSM. Could be a few Medi Alert devices still on POTS as they only dial.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭bloodyhawk

150/30 - €45
    350/70 - €65
    1000/200 - €85

All inclusive of VAT. Business products should be available later this year, with symmetric bandwidth and using point-to-point fibre rather than PON - and correspondingly higher prices.
    Thank you so much for keeping us in the loop, Paul. I wish more ISP providers did the same. Do you mind giving us updates on the business side of things as soon as the information becomes available regarding the prices, profiles, etc.... That would be great!:)

Will do!

150/30 - €45
    350/70 - €65
    1000/200 - €85

I didn't know that the one fibre network could operate using both PON and PTP to provide completely different services. Could OpenEir's FTTH also be used in this way if they wanted?

• Advertisement

I didn't know that the one fibre network could operate using both PON and PTP to provide completely different services.

Speculation alert!

Picture an ODP in a chamber in front of a mini-pillar. It has (say) a 24-strand fibre cable feeding it, and (say) eight ports available for output.

If I was designing a network for either PON or PtP, I'd have a four-way splitter on the end of one of the incoming strands, with the outputs terminated on four of the output ports, and the other four ports spliced to incoming fibres.

I don't know that that's how it is done, but it gives a sense of how it's possible.
    Could OpenEir's FTTH also be used in this way if they wanted?
    Probably. The 3M splice boxes they're using are very versatile. I don't know if they plan to, mind you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Balbriggan update.

Obelisk working today on the Harry Reynolds road near the Westbrook Estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

Salesman at the door today in Ennis.
    Existing customer so offer is free for 3months, 3months at reduced 40e and then 50/month for 12months.

He said if I signed up today, it'd be installed next week (hard to believe)

Also said that I'd see a drop in my current speed on VF fibre because all my neighbours have signed up for siro.

Not a fan of that sales technique so said no thanks - I can always just sign up online when I want

• Registered Users Posts: 1,706 ✭✭✭Deagol

theShire wrote: »
    Existing customer so offer is free for 3months, 3months at reduced 40e and then 50/month for 12months.

Also said that I'd see a drop in my current speed on VF fibre because all my neighbours have signed up for siro.

Not a fan of that sales technique so said no thanks - I can always just sign up online when I want

If he turns up at my door talking that crap he'll get some shock. I always make a point to get peoples names...;)

When you say existing are you with Vodafone?
    That sounds like €40 p/m so.
    I wonder will other partners offer the same packages as Westnet
    150/30 @ €45
    350/70
    1000/200

I wonder will there be much take up of siro. I have fttc and am getting 50/20 but speeds are always excellent. I am close to a cabinet though.

When you say existing are you with Vodafone?
    Yep, currently have VF fibre (fttc) and get ~40mb download most days although have had as little as 2/3 at one point a few months ago

If the network build is complete in your area, it's entirely likely. I just checked, and if I were to place an order for Castlebar, there are appointments available for next week.

I wonder will there be much take up of siro. I have fttc and am getting 50/20 but speeds are always excellent. I am close to a cabinet though.

Showing me his list of addresses he told me he'd signed up most of the apartment blocks and about half of d houses.

I told him that's great, there'll be less using the fttc if they're all using siro!

If the network build is complete in your area, it's entirely likely. I just checked, and if I were to place an order for Castlebar, there are appointments available for next week.

Thanks for the info Paul, might be worth knowing for those signing up.

I seem to remember someone mention a "hockey stick" in d meter box to allow the cable to be pulled. I'm pretty sure that isn't there in mine.
    Any idea how long installation could take if that isn't in place?

• Advertisement

Showing me his list of addresses he told me he'd signed up most of the apartment blocks and about half of d houses.

I told him that's great, there'll be less using the fttc if they're all using siro!

You can't trust the salespeople. They'd tell you every sort of a lie to sign you up.

I think the 150mb packages are good value and would probably meet most people's need but the use of the internet is growing all the time and with a big household and the tv being streamed people would be tempted to go for the 350mb package.

It is great to see this stuff coming onstream.

How will they service the apt blocks? I presume they would have some sort of comms room and the wiring would go through all internal ducting? Maybe a cleaner job than a house.

Advertisement