Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

Hi Paul, just checking back in with ya, any details of further deployments planned for Castlebar (Rosslee) yet?

No sign of any expansion in Castlebar at the moment, which is a bit surprising. They tend not to tell me much about timing of future developments, because they can't tell me anything they don't also tell the other providers (which in Castlebar and Westport just means Vodafone at the moment).

• Registered Users Posts: 9,409 ✭✭✭irishgeo

No sign of any expansion in Castlebar at the moment, which is a bit surprising. They tend not to tell me much about timing of future developments, because they can't tell me anything they don't also tell the other providers (which in Castlebar and Westport just means Vodafone at the moment).

Your losing custom to virgin media , who have put siro to shame in castlebar in regards to the speed of the installation of fibre and getting it live.

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

irishgeo wrote: »
    Your losing custom to virgin media , who have put siro to shame in castlebar in regards to the speed of the installation of fibre and getting it live.

I can't argue with that, but I guess we'll make it up in Westport where Virgin haven't bothered.

At the end of the day, competition is good for the consumer. If we could resell Virgin's broadband we would, but they don't do wholesale in that way, which I guess has its pros and cons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

Just reading that article from a week ago about Vodafone/ESB pulling out of the national broadband tender process. Does anyone know does this impact towns already being worked on? (i.e. Bray in my case). Sounds like they're still committed to the areas they started on?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

g0g wrote: »
    Just reading that article from a week ago about Vodafone/ESB pulling out of the national broadband tender process. Does anyone know does this impact towns already being worked on? (i.e. Bray in my case). Sounds like they're still committed to the areas they started on?

No effect to their urban plans. In fact it may actually speed it up as they will not be distracted by the NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g0g

No effect to their urban plans. In fact it may actually speed it up as they will not be distracted by the NBP.
    Cool thanks and they are still working together with VF (and others) to sell it, right?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Cool thanks and they are still working together with VF (and others) to sell it, right?

Yes no change there.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭thekerrycyclist

I'm not sure but I suspect that they will. The estate I'm in only recently began to have works done in Tralee so they probably will fulfill current commitments.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Their stated intention is to provide fibre to the premises (500,000?) they committed to.
    Obviously these are commercially viable, urban premises, if they can get whatever % of the connections they need for viability.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 cloud1969

Just switched to Vodafone on the doorstep after receiving promises that with 150 mbps I'll will have perfect TV with no buffering through Siro. I know absolutely nothing about technology and am wondering if this is true as I already have doubters in the house. Would appreciate any advice. Just really need to cut the Sky bill and was tempted by the initial Vodafone offering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

cloud1969 wrote: »
    on the doorstep

giphy-facebook_s.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Kn working for siro in westport the last few days. Cabling the road leasing to Tesco and the flats around Tesco.

Siro have a big billboard as you walk into Tesco advertising Gigabit broadband.

• Subscribers Posts: 3,704 ✭✭✭TCP/IP

Got an email to say Newbridge live.

• Registered Users Posts: 584 ✭✭✭kmurph

OscarBravo, do you have any more info regarding whether Siro are allowing cable runs to a pole on the side of a house yet? You mentioned it a couple of months ago as an option that was being looked into by Siro.

Virgin should be going live on our road any day now so that's hopefully going to be another option, but would still be interested if there's been any movement on the use of poles yet for "awkward" installs like mine apparently is.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭Jpmarn

Digiweb are advertising on Facebook that their Electric Broadband of up to 1 gbs is available in Limerick City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,826 ✭✭✭godskitchen

Jpmarn wrote: »
    Digiweb are advertising on Facebook that their Electric Broadband of up to 1 gbs is available in Limerick City.

Brilliant, another term the marketing people came up with.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,793 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

kmurph wrote: »
    OscarBravo, do you have any more info regarding whether Siro are allowing cable runs to a pole on the side of a house yet? You mentioned it a couple of months ago as an option that was being looked into by Siro.

Virgin should be going live on our road any day now so that's hopefully going to be another option, but would still be interested if there's been any movement on the use of poles yet for "awkward" installs like mine apparently is.

I don't. It was mentioned to me in passing that it was something they were looking at, and that's it. It would make sense for them to find as many ways as possible to connect people, but it also makes sense to standardise installs as much as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

vodafone and siro are both as useless as each other.

3 months ago door to door sales people for vodafone called to the door trying to get me to sign upto ftth, at the time i refused to sign up with the door to door sales team as when i originally signed up for vodafone fttc 3 or 4 years ago, the door to door sales people made a absolute balls of my order, first they put me on a 12mb (24mb) adsl2+ package when i agreed to a fttc connection of 100/20, it took a further 3 cock ups and a total of 4 routers delivered to me from the vodafone phone sales team before i ever got what i actually ordered.

so min i closed the door i rang vodafone to try sign up for ftth, get told its not available in my area, explained that i only just had their sales team at my door trying to sign me up to it saying the whole area was live, i get told no i didnt have a sales team in the area or at my door as its not live bla bla bla, thought right fair enough im not gonna argue with someone in india.

the following week a blue van pulls up outside my house and opens up the esb manhole right outside my door and they run fiber to the houses on both sides of me. 2 days later Actavo show up and install 150mb into one house and 300mb into the other. GREAT I THINK

back on phone to vodafone to try sign up again, get told once more the the whole area is not live, i explain that both houses next to me have just had it installed, im told thats impossible as the area is not live. i wasnt gonna waste any more time on phone and left it

a week later i tried digiweb, get told its live at my address, GREAT so i agree to a verbal contract over the phone and get told ill have a install date within 10-15 days. 15 days pass still no install date but i wake to a email from digiweb saying there is delays and install will be pushed back a month. here i am a month and a half later and i get a email from SIRO on friday saying my address is now live.

so ill give digiweb another go tomorrow morning as the fritz router they use is far better then vodafones and tbh their customer support is great when you talk to them unlike vodafones

funny thing is the door to door sales team signed people up all over the estate and they all had installs within 2 weeks (that was 3 months ago) and i know people that tried ring to sign up and where told the same crap i was that area was not live. bunch of clowns

I'm not clear on what in that saga makes SIRO as useless as Vodafone.

sorry i forgot to say that siro claimed the area was not live to both vodafone and digiweb, even tho it was proved to them that vodafone door to door sales had signed up nearly 40 people in the area who where all actively using ftth at their homes ;)

• Advertisement

dazdrog wrote: »
    sorry i forgot to say that siro claimed the area was not live to both vodafone and digiweb, even tho it was proved to them that vodafone door to door sales had signed up nearly 40 people in the area who where all actively using ftth at their homes ;)

That doesn't add up for me, I'm afraid. If Vodafone were providing SIRO service to nearly 40 people in the area, that can only be because SIRO had already told Vodafone that the area was live.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That doesn't add up for me, I'm afraid. If Vodafone were providing SIRO service to nearly 40 people in the area, that can only be because SIRO had already told Vodafone that the area was live.

it dont add up for everyone, vodafone phone sales team had no idea that it was live in the area and that their own door to door grunts had signed up a lot of people in the area, i still dont have it but if you dont think im telling the truth i can show u install pics of people around me.

vodafone didnt seam to care anyway, at least digiweb actually rang siro to find out wtf was going on, grace from digiweb is a prime example of how customer support should be

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭theShire

so ill give digiweb another go tomorrow morning as the fritz router they use is far better then vodafones and tbh their customer support is great when you talk to them unlike vodafones
    Would VF customers be able to use their own fritzbox for siro.
    The Huawei vdsl routers have always caused me problems when trying to change any of d settings so I've had to leave them at default.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,428 ✭✭✭Nollog

I had the same trouble. The door to door guy explained as the phone agents look at a computer and say computer says no, while the door to door will send an email and chase it.

I got blocked by Siro on twitter for asking them if I could get it. I spent a good few months talking to everyone and getting no replies. Door to door guy shows up one day and I'm signed up.

theShire wrote: »
    The Huawei vdsl routers have always caused me problems when trying to change any of d settings so I've had to leave them at default.

yeah just bridge it ;)
    /\/ollog wrote: »
    I had the same trouble. The door to door guy explained as the phone agents look at a computer and say computer says no, while the door to door will send an email and chase it.

I got blocked by Siro on twitter for asking them if I could get it. I spent a good few months talking to everyone and getting no replies. Door to door guy shows up one day and I'm signed up.

they really need to exchange more info with each other, ive a email from siro saying address is live. tried order this morning form 2 companys, they still claim its not here and as ususal give a rough estimate on when they will offer me a install as "2 weeks" ive been told 2 weeks now 6 times lol

• Registered Users Posts: 36,167 ✭✭✭✭ED E

theShire wrote: »

With any of the FTTH products from SIRO/OE there should be no hassle using your own equipment. Its a lot simpler than VDSL.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,205 ✭✭✭digiman

yeah just bridge it ;)

they really need to exchange more info with each other, ive a email from siro saying address is live. tried order this morning form 2 companys, they still claim its not here and as ususal give a rough estimate on when they will offer me a install as "2 weeks" ive been told 2 weeks now 6 times lol

While the connection is live with one operator doesn't mean it is live with another.

E.g. Castlebar is live with Westnet but not live with Digiweb, SIRO would of course claim the area as live as soon as any 1 operator is connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭oisinmc14

Hey Paul, Any idea when the centre of Westport town will be up and running? According to the signs around the outlying parts they seem to be live?

digiman wrote: »
    While the connection is live with one operator doesn't mean it is live with another.

E.g. Castlebar is live with Westnet but not live with Digiweb, SIRO would of course claim the area as live as soon as any 1 operator is connected.

your missing the point tho, vodafone door to door can sell it, but vodafone phone sales cant. that in itself is a bit of a joke

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

your missing the point tho, vodafone door to door can sell it, but vodafone phone sales cant. that in itself is a bit of a joke

Never take the word of a money hungry salesman at your door :D

Advertisement