Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SIRO - ESB/Vodafone Fibre To The Home

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 426 ✭✭dazdrog

Never take the word of a money hungry salesman at your door :D

they signed up 40+ people in the area, when vodafone phone sales or no other could, so for once the sales guys are ok with me lol

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

oisinmc14 wrote: »
    Hey Paul, Any idea when the centre of Westport town will be up and running? According to the signs around the outlying parts they seem to be live?

Horkan's Hill and St Mary's Crescent are live now. Don't hold me to it, but it looks like a chunk of the town centre will go live in a couple of weeks, and there should be another chunk coming in November.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,403 ✭✭✭billbond4

Just an update for Athlone, on the westside of the town Siro installed a cabin next to the ESB HV substation in Cushla, and they are working in a few estates on the east side of the town as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 686 ✭✭✭DVD-Lots

billbond4 wrote: »
    Just an update for Athlone, on the westside of the town Siro installed a cabin next to the ESB HV substation in Cushla, and they are working in a few estates on the east side of the town as well.

For the love of God are they coming anywhere near Coosan at all??!!! Shancurragh/Hillquarter in badly need of this, why target estates that may already have fibre/virgin/over 30mb :mad::mad::mad: Oh wait, it's more commercially viable to hit the estates.....silly me. ;):cool:

Yeah i suppose you can make more money if you hit an estate as apposed to going down a road with a few houses (at the initial phase)
    For the westside I think they will be installing around the ESB substation as the fiber ring around athlone is just off the bypass and the ESB own the land, so its a good base to start laying the cables

• Advertisement

Can you not get imagine out in coosan?

Yes, they said they could give me up to 2mb!!!! Tempting...........not.

Fancy with 2MB !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭OneEightSeven

DVD-Lots wrote: »
    why target estates that may already have fibre/virgin/over 30mb :mad::mad::mad: Oh wait, it's more commercially viable to hit the estates.....silly me. ;):cool:

I know, right? Imagine, a business wanting to turn over a profit so they can pay their employees. They should just listen to geniuses like yourself and rollout fibre to rural areas and inevitably go bankrupt, leave many people unemployed and allowing Eircom maintain their monopolies and high prices in the very urban areas that subsidise the lifestyle of rural parasites in this country.

I know, right? Imagine, a business wanting to turn over a profit so they can pay their employees. They should just listen to geniuses like yourself and rollout fibre to rural areas and inevitably go bankrupt, leave many people unemployed and allowing Eircom maintain their monopolies and high prices in the very urban areas that subsidise the lifestyle of rural parasites in this country.

:rolleyes: Sarcasm ain't your strong point eh? Or do I need to spell out that I was being a sarcastic genius. jeez take a chill pill ffs. :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭satguy

I have VM 360 down with the TV package and phone, am on the "Virgin Full House TV, 360Mb Broadband, Home Phone with Mobile World"

It's €99 or so per month, and I am out of contract next month.

Our street has SIRO (vodafone) in Portlaoise up and running, so the question is,, "should I stay or should I go".
    Was thinking that it might be nice to have gigabit internet, their plans start at €40 per month for new customers for the first 6 months, €90 thereafter on an 18 month contract.

Does anyone in Portlaoise have SIRO ? Is it any Good ? .. would love to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭ipnface

Also interested to know is it better to choose than Virgin for any particular reason?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭DECEiFER

TV aside, yes, SIRO is better than Virgin. The latency to most domestic servers is ~5ms, for one, and it's overall lower, so it's great for gaming. The one downside is that Vodafone at least force a renewal of your IP every 24 hours - which means it has to briefly reconnect. To make sure this doesn't happen to me when I'm using it, I set my router to reboot on a daily schedule (7am). Virgin Media doesn't do anything like that and the lease times are days on their IPs. You could have the same IP for months or over a year in certain circumstances due to that.

I'm on the 300Mb plan with Vodafone and I get 360-365Mb down and 71Mb up pretty consistently.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

billbond4 wrote: »

Aim is to have Athlone live in November some time with at least 2 providers offering service.

/M

theShire wrote: »
    Would VF customers be able to use their own fritzbox for siro.
    The Huawei vdsl routers have always caused me problems when trying to change any of d settings so I've had to leave them at default.

Yes, you can. No hassle whatsoever. You need to get the password, that was entered into the ONT GUI though, as that's the password for your PPPoE session.

Username is the serial of your Huawei router.

Make sure to authenticate on VLan 10.

The details can be got from Vodafone, worst case. Got a business connection in Sligo installed last week using my own third party router. No problem whatsover.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,752 ✭✭✭satguy

DECEiFER wrote: »
    TV aside, yes, SIRO is better than Virgin. The latency to most domestic servers is ~5ms, for one, and it's overall lower, so it's great for gaming. The one downside is that Vodafone at least force a renewal of your IP every 24 hours - which means it has to briefly reconnect. To make sure this doesn't happen to me when I'm using it, I set my router to reboot on a daily schedule (7am). Virgin Media doesn't do anything like that and the lease times are days on their IPs. You could have the same IP for months or over a year in certain circumstances due to that.

I'm on the 300Mb plan with Vodafone and I get 360-365Mb down and 71Mb up pretty consistently.

Are you happy with the supplied router ?
    Is it as good as the VM hub ?
    Did you get TV with your package ?

Sorry to bug you, but am just worried, its an 18 month sign up.

SIRO plans don't have a 300 Mbit/s option. I know Vodafone advertises it as 300 Mbit/s. But in SIRO terms, the package you're on is actually 350 Mbit/s.

So if Vodafone doesn't throttle it down, then you're on 350 Mbit/s.

They also didn't seem to offer the 600 Mbit/s option, which you may find on other SIRO providers.

I guess they structured their packages with OpenEIR FTTH in mind to have one set fits all, even if they not may be offering OpenEIR FTTH yet.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    SIRO plans don't have a 300 Mbit/s option. I know Vodafone advertises it as 300 Mbit/s. But in SIRO terms, the package you're on is actually 350 Mbit/s.

So if Vodafone doesn't throttle it down, then you're on 350 Mbit/s.

They also didn't seem to offer the 600 Mbit/s option, which you may find on other SIRO providers.

I guess they structured their packages with OpenEIR FTTH in mind to have one set fits all, even if they not may be offering OpenEIR FTTH yet.

/M
    I signed up for 300Mb plan assuming Vodafone had customized their offerings and I figured it could possibly be 350Mb based on plans I saw with other operators like Digiweb when I was nosing around before signing up, and I became certain of it based on the results of a speed test the installers performed before leaving. But I like to be an optimist while I'm still in the honeymoon phase - loving the low latencies, I sometimes open a command prompt to send off a few pings for the heck of it! - and think of it as getting 65Mb more than what I'm paying for. That'll wear off eventually, and it could be as soon as something goes wrong with it (I'm also a realist!).

I also believe Eir's uploads aren't as high as SIRO's.

https://www.digiweb.ie/ultrafast-ftth-broadband/
    https://www.digiweb.ie/siro-powered-broadband/

I was told by Vodafone that the upload speeds are likely 20% of the download speeds. 70Mb up is 20% of 350Mb down, so that all makes perfect sense. If it was 300Mb, then it would likely be 60Mb up. Eir only seems to have a 300/50 plan.

satguy wrote: »
    Are you happy with the supplied router ?
    Is it as good as the VM hub ?
    Did you get TV with your package ?

Sorry to bug you, but am just worried, its an 18 month sign up.
    The supplied router is the HG659, same as the FTTC router, but I don't use it. I use my ASUS RT-AC68U directly connected to the ONT via Ethernet.

I was told by Vodafone that the upload speeds are likely 20% of the download speeds. 70Mb up is 20% of 350Mb down, so that all makes perfect sense. If it was 300Mb, then it would likely be 60Mb up. Eir only seems to have a 300/50 plan.

Uploads with SIRO are fixed defined .. obviously the operators can customize downwards.

So the standard packages are:
    150/60
    350/80
    600/120
    1000/200

If i remember correctly.

OpenEIR doesn't tell, what upload speeds they have, so speedtests and guesswork will tell.

/M

• Advertisement

Is it not 350/70? If it should be 80 and they scaled it down, I might have to get onto them. :D

Is it not 350/70? If it should be 80 and they scaled it down, I might have to get onto them. :D

The upload test on speedtest.net is not quite as reliable as the download test. To test it properly, you may want to upload a file to a FTP server somewhere.

But as I said .. Vodafone (or any other provider for that sake) have the rights to customize. As they haven't stated on the website what the product delivers, they could give you even way less .... if they decide to do so.

My figures above is just, what the platform allows. And typically even a bit more.

/M

I will connect to a fast server and FTP something big up and dew the math on it. I work for a company as a web developer (not a web designer who doesn't know his arse from his other end - though while my focus is on backend development, I do frontend as well) so I try to switch off from it all, including FTP, when I'm at home these days, while in the past I did some freelancing from home and relied heavily on my UPC/Virgin Media upload capabilities and had my home desktop set up for it like a well-oiled machine.

EDIT: Top speed over FTP is ~8.6-8.8MB/s, so ~68.8-70.4Mb/s. So the Vodafone, regular and Beta Speedtest.net results are spot-on.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

I assume you can't use your own router if you also have a phone with them? Just signed up for 150 broadband and home phone with Vodafone (SIRO). The phone plugs in to the router so I'm guessing I'll have to use the Vodafone route. Could I put the VF router in bridge mode and still connect the phone?

deeobrien wrote: »
    I assume you can't use your own router if you also have a phone with them? Just signed up for 150 broadband and home phone with Vodafone (SIRO). The phone plugs in to the router so I'm guessing I'll have to use the Vodafone route. Could I put the VF router in bridge mode and still connect the phone?
    Negative on the phone line being plugged into the router! The phone line will simply be used for your phones. SIRO requires a optical cable routed from your electrical meter into your home (yes, via a hole they will drill), which is connected to an ONT (Optical Network Terminal) that they'll fix to your internal wall by the hole to convert it to a signal that will be sent via Ethernet to the router (or your own [suitable] router, if you wish).

Here is my install - into a different room than the phone sockets:
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=104722142&postcount=3998

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭deeobrien

oh ok - the vodafone sales person said the phone would be plugged in to the router. It is what I was expecting as well (same as Virgin cable broadband). Even better if its not.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

oh ok - the vodafone sales person said the phone would be plugged in to the router. It is what I was expecting as well (same as Virgin cable broadband). Even better if its not.

The phone would be plugged into the router if you get a VOIP 'phone line' which is carried over broadband.

I'm sure what he knows about the technology could fit on a postal stamp. I can for certain tell you, though, that your router will not be plugged into the old copper phone socket...unless you want it to be and have a long enough cable, but it won't make a lick of difference. :)
    It would be plugged into the router if you get a VOIP 'phone line' which is carried over broadband.
    Yes but it won't be plugged into the traditional phone line socket for broadband, which is what I was referring to.

EDIT: Top speed over FTP is ~8.6-8.8MB/s, so ~68.8-70.4Mb/s. So the Vodafone, regular and Beta Speedtest.net results are spot-on.

Jup .. looks like it. Need to recheck figures, but that could be Vodafone limitations so.

Makes sense. I'm also seeing a little bit less on a Vodafone Gbit/s circuit, than what I've seen on another providers circuit, when it comes to upload.

/M

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,521 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Marlow wrote: »
    If i remember correctly.
    OpenEIR doesn't tell, what upload speeds they have,

They do

New_Picture2.png

Advertisement