Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FI Charts (+T120 onwards) Autumn/Winter 2015 - see Mod Note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 314 ✭✭NMB

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭teddybones

NMB wrote: »

Just read it. Sounds horrifying and amazing in equal measure.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

GFS wants to developer SSW (Sudden stratospheric warming) at the end of the month, will be interesting to watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

Apparently Atlantic modification is non existent on the latest GFS run :pac:

gfs-1-156_qkp5.png

156-779UK_rdk4.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 821 ✭✭✭lapua20grain

Villain wrote: »
    what is this a link to? i cannot find it on twitter: apologies found it thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 16,660 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

what is this a link to? i cannot find it on twitter

it refers to a big wave number one displacement event in the stratospheric vortex. in an ideal scenario, this would lead to the polar vortex buggering off completely from Greenland, allowing the cold air trapped in the Arctic to descend over us courtesy of a mid Atlantic block or a Greenland high. however it's just as likely with a displacement, that a lobe of the polar vortex will hang on in the wrong place, or, worse still, it does in fact all move, but comes back quickly to its default location(Greenland) leaving us with a brief cold period, before a zonal flow quickly returns. The optimum scenario for us is the polar vortex being destroyed by a major stratospheric warming event( i think this happened in 2010), but there does not seem to be any indication of a major ssw event happening this winter. What's currently modelled is a minor warming leading to a possible displacement of the vortex.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,530 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

it refers to a big wave number one displacement event in the stratospheric vortex. in an ideal scenario, this would lead to the polar vortex buggering off completely from Greenland, allowing the cold air trapped in the Arctic to descend over us courtesy of a mid Atlantic block or a Greenland high. however it's just as likely with a displacement, that a lobe of the polar vortex will hang on in the wrong place, or, worse still, it does in fact all move, but comes back quickly to its default location(Greenland) leaving us with a brief cold period, before a zonal flow quickly returns. The optimum scenario for us is the polar vortex being destroyed by a major stratospheric warming event( i think this happened in 2010), but there does not seem to be any indication of a major ssw event happening this winter. What's currently modelled is a minor warming leading to a possible displacement of the vortex.

No, the sudden stratospheric warming that you are probably thinking of took place in January 2013.

sryanbruen wrote: »
    No, the sudden stratospheric warming that you are probably thinking of took place in January 2013.

Ah, yes you're right, sorry. There was one back then too. How could i forget the snowfall we had in late Feburary and temperatures struggling to get above 3c at times in this concrete jungle.

Ah, yes you're right, sorry. There was one back then too. How could i forget the snowfall we had in late Feburary and temperatures struggling to get above 3c at times in this concrete jungle.

Kind of incorrect there, sorry. I know this is off topic to the thread firstly but this is just a summary I made to help you remember what the weather was like around that time.

January 1st-5th: Very mild and dry but quite cloudy throughout. It was a sharp contrast to the end of 2012 which continued from the unsettled conditions that year threw at us since April of that year.

January 6th-7th: Very mild again but wet and windy and still cloudy. Heavy rainfalls were recorded in parts of up to 40mm.

January 8th-10th: A colder, drier and sunnier period. The 9th was a particularly sunny day and temperatures were a little below average.

January 11th-15th: Cloudier again with little sunny spells. It was rather cold and mixed with showers on the 11th, 12th and 14th and some rain on the 13th.

January 16th-18th: It started off very cloudy and drizzly with just showery rain, particularly in the east. Still rather cold but not exceptionally so. The 17th was cloudy and dry for the most part but very heavy rainfall affected the country overnight and into the 18th when parts of Dublin recorded 30mm or more. It was relatively mild this day, however, this did not win out!

January 19th-24th: A very cold and mainly dry period for the most part with the exception of rainfall in the south on the 20th. Temperatures struggled to get past 5c nearly everywhere and frosts were frequent. There was even some snowfall in places at times (my station recorded snow on the 22nd).

January 25th-29th: Much milder with temperatures getting up to 15c on the 29th. But it was also wetter with flooding at times and very dull conditions with little sunshine.

January 30th-February 14th: A very mixed period with bands of rain affecting the country on January 31st (early hours), February 7th, 9th, 10th, 12th and 13th. The rest of the time, it was very quiet with just little showers. Some places recorded snowfall on the 4th and 5th of February. Temperatures were average or a little below generally. February 6th and 14th were dry days.

February 15th-March 5th: A long spell of dry weather. It started off mild with temperatures reaching 12c on February 17th but soon became relatively cold (not exceptionally so) from February 19th - March 2nd (I think it was). Temperatures struggled at times to get past 6 or 7c. Parts of the east recorded little snowfall on February 23rd and 24th. But throughout this period, it was very dry, quiet and mixed spells of sunshine. The period February 22nd - 27th was particularly sunny in places, especially the west. As March began, it began to become a bit milder with temperatures reaching 14c on the 5th. Amazingly, my station did not get above 10c though.

March 6th-9th: Very dull and wet and relatively mild. This period was just plain miserable!

March 10th-April 9th: A long period of very cold weather. Persistent rainfall on March 21st and 22nd but overall, very cold and snowy. Temperatures did not get above 0c in places on March 11th. It was the coldest Easter on record (March 31st) with maximums of only 3-5c in most places.

^ I hope this helps.

• Advertisement

Kind of incorrect there, sorry. I know this is off topic to the thread firstly but this is just a summary I made to help you remember what the weather was like around that time.

January 1st-5th: Very mild and dry but quite cloudy throughout. It was a sharp contrast to the end of 2012 which continued from the unsettled conditions that year threw at us since April of that year.

January 6th-7th: Very mild again but wet and windy and still cloudy. Heavy rainfalls were recorded in parts of up to 40mm.

January 8th-10th: A colder, drier and sunnier period. The 9th was a particularly sunny day and temperatures were a little below average.

January 11th-15th: Cloudier again with little sunny spells. It was rather cold and mixed with showers on the 11th, 12th and 14th and some rain on the 13th.

January 16th-18th: It started off very cloudy and drizzly with just showery rain, particularly in the east. Still rather cold but not exceptionally so. The 17th was cloudy and dry for the most part but very heavy rainfall affected the country overnight and into the 18th when parts of Dublin recorded 30mm or more. It was relatively mild this day, however, this did not win out!

January 19th-24th: A very cold and mainly dry period for the most part with the exception of rainfall in the south on the 20th. Temperatures struggled to get past 5c nearly everywhere and frosts were frequent. There was even some snowfall in places at times (my station recorded snow on the 22nd).

January 25th-29th: Much milder with temperatures getting up to 15c on the 29th. But it was also wetter with flooding at times and very dull conditions with little sunshine.

January 30th-February 14th: A very mixed period with bands of rain affecting the country on January 31st (early hours), February 7th, 9th, 10th, 12th and 13th. The rest of the time, it was very quiet with just little showers. Some places recorded snowfall on the 4th and 5th of February. Temperatures were average or a little below generally. February 6th and 14th were dry days.

February 15th-March 5th: A long spell of dry weather. It started off mild with temperatures reaching 12c on February 17th but soon became relatively cold (not exceptionally so) from February 19th - March 2nd (I think it was). Temperatures struggled at times to get past 6 or 7c. Parts of the east recorded little snowfall on February 23rd and 24th. But throughout this period, it was very dry, quiet and mixed spells of sunshine. The period February 22nd - 27th was particularly sunny in places, especially the west. As March began, it began to become a bit milder with temperatures reaching 14c on the 5th. Amazingly, my station did not get above 10c though.

March 6th-9th: Very dull and wet and relatively mild. This period was just plain miserable!

March 10th-April 9th: A long period of very cold weather. Persistent rainfall on March 21st and 22nd but overall, very cold and snowy. Temperatures did not get above 0c in places on March 11th. It was the coldest Easter on record (March 31st) with maximums of only 3-5c in most places.

^ I hope this helps.

Sorry again:o I should have clarified i was talking about the weather in the South East of England, not Ireland, at that time.

Sorry again:o I should have clarified i was talking about the weather in the South East of England, not Ireland, at that time.

Then yeah, that makes sense. I remember the southeast of England recording some scattered snowfall at multiple times in the second half of February (also on the 10th in the first half). But anyways... back to this Winter.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Back to a similar Atlantic set up like before Christmas with low after low skimmimg past us well into FI. Some very windy spells to come and no doubt a lot of rain in the systems. The strong Jet looks to stay over us or to the North of us well into Feb.

Back to a similar Atlantic set up like before Christmas with low after low skimmimg past us well into FI. Some very windy spells to come and no doubt a lot of rain in the systems. The strong Jet looks to stay over us or to the North of us well into Feb.

It was very windy today LOL. There was a roof full of water from heavy rain and the wind was blowing it over to us :pac::pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Ah but MT has mentioned cold in early Feb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Ah but MT has mentioned cold in early Feb.

Which could end up being march and we'll hear a narrative about how its later than expected
    Lets make no mistake about it, cold has to be much more severe in origin to make an impact as it gets later, March is a nuisance imho

Meanwhile, I see the 0Z ECM fi has a potential deep artic cold shot next week
    It may of course be gone on the 12Z
    I'd prefer to be reading a narrative saying it's early

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

Which could end up being march and we'll hear a narrative about how its later than expected
    Lets make no mistake about it, cold has to be much more severe in origin to make an impact as it gets later, March is a nuisance imho

Meanwhile, I see the 0Z ECM fi has a potential deep artic cold shot next week
    It may of course be gone on the 12Z
    I'd prefer to be reading a narrative saying it's early

Yeah we need things to calm down around the Greenland area as well as getting rid of that Mediterranean HP. I don't feel confident re. the last third of winter, but anyways lets see if these strat warmings can save the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

It will be interesting to look back at these charts in 8 days time, knowing our climate I know which one will be most accurate.

ECM1-192.GIF?27-12

gfs-0-192.png?6

It will be interesting to look back at these charts in 8 days time, knowing our climate I know which one will be most accurate.

ECM1-192.GIF?27-12

gfs-0-192.png?6

Obviously the GFS

Obviously the GFS

As a matter of interest which model is on top this winter in terms of verification?

• Advertisement

As a matter of interest which model is on top this winter in terms of verification?

No... I said obviously the GFS because it was showing the most likely scenario above ^

No... I said obviously the GFS because it was showing the most likely scenario above ^

you pessimist, or is that realist:(. yes, given our loccation, the gfs will likely be right. also i seem to recall the ECM producing eye candy charts previously, only for it to back the more sobering output of the GFS in the end. i'm sure steve murr over on netweather is saying bin the gfs output, because its not showing what he wants

you pessimist, or is that realist:(. yes, given our loccation, the gfs will likely be right. also i seem to recall the ECM producing eye candy charts previously, only for it to back the more sobering output of the GFS in the end. i'm sure steve murr over on netweather is saying bin the gfs output, because its not showing what he wants

Yeah it's realist

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

FI

gens-4-1-288.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

ECM 12Z sticking with the 0Z colder theme. I can't post charts as i'm a newbie :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭patneve2

144 hrs

Recm1442.gif

168 hrs

Recm1682.gif

192 hrs

Recm1922.gif

Not buying it, but interesting model watching nonetheless

ECM1-168.GIF?27-0

this would be very nice for me, but of course it won't happen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

Well the folks on the UK sites are excited, the fools.
    I can only comment on what those charts would give,they've zero chance of verifying
    Mostly northwesterlies, cold but not much precipitation
    Snow for mountainy man again for sure were it to pan out
    One or two days of weak northeasterlies too as the low in the north sea heads away southeastwards killing off our chances again as we fade into a col having had our cold feed diverted into the continent
    All rubbish, interesting rubbish nonetheless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

Fairly pessimistic bunch of coldies on here. During the last excitement MT was suggesting the cold wasn't really certain and would be short lived (that is on his daily forecasts, he rarely comes in here). Today he was more than hinting at cold.

The games afoot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Thanks for the personal forecast WB :pac: Btw had a heavy snow shower at 13.30 today, didn't stick.

Advertisement