Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Anyone here able to recomend an easy calving parthenaise bull besides bourvil for maiden heifers? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

Kovu wrote: »
    The dam I put SFL on this year is third gen from milking stock, half lim/quarter sim, quarter something that could be a sh or a brfr. Every bull she has had has been fecking exported bar last years so can't see how they graded but last years was killed at 15 months so should see him on the next report. Have a five star heifer out of her this year off KJB. Am disappointed with our last SFL calf this year, hope he perks up a bit over winter.
    Use to look forward to the reports myself for that reason.
    I notice if you go to your ICBF profile, select the Dam from Basic Herd, & pick the progeny tab, it should be all there.
    One thing I'm disappointed recently, the weight for age use to be on weight at sale/age in days, notice the weight at sale is not included now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Farrell wrote: »
    Use to look forward to the reports myself for that reason.
    I notice if you go to your ICBF profile, select the Dam from Basic Herd, & pick the progeny tab, it should be all there.
    One thing I'm disappointed recently, the weight for age use to be on weight at sale/age in days, notice the weight at sale is not included now.

Aaaaah! Clever you :) He was slaughtered at 16 months, carcass was 449kg and he graded U+ 2+.

limo_100 wrote: »
    Iv been selling this weather and have being to a good few marts in the past month and iv come to the conclusion to go all Charolais this year bar a few heifers, I was using all limousin in the last few years trying to improve things but id nearly be better off buying them and getting more for my stock, Il let you know his weight im gonna sell him next week or the week after

Same as that, CH on everything bar 2 hoping for heifers (1 BA & 1 SI).
    Sexed Semen would be ideal, in this scenario

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

adne wrote: »
    Would he not get nailed in the factory for those kind of dead weights, bull price i presume!?

No they got steer price + quality assured. The fella that killed them had a double going that day so I assume he had negotiated some sort of a deal for not penalising them for being overweight.

• Advertisement

Has anyone use the Gene Ireland Bulls?
    What did you think?

Interested on the Charolais side - YCM, YBH, KCH, XHD & PDR

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

What did you think?

I did this year. Cant say what they'll be like yet as the first are due in Spring.

I got 10 straws each of the Lm bull YOB and the sim bull ETP as an experiment really. I won't commit again until I see what sort of calves I get.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

What did you think?

what about hhj from pg i think he looks like a good bull. VITTOZ (CH2204) looks like a bull we will all have to use if you want the replacement stars

limo_100 wrote: »
    what about hhj from pg i think he looks like a good bull. VITTOZ (CH2204) looks like a bull we will all have to use if you want the replacement stars
    Agree on that, just don't like the look, not much muscle & bellish- my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭Canaryblue

What do people think of PG's 4 new Charolais pre-order bulls? First, Castor, Artois and Calogero. All bar Calogero have bloodlines which would be known to Irish breeders, with Sylvaner, Pinay, Sesame and Jumper turning up. Must say I like the look of these bulls, the legs seem good and they all have a bit of hindquarter muscle. They are lacking in the eye-muscle area though and like most of the french charolais bulls we see in Ireland they are all carrying a bit too much of a belly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Canaryblue wrote: »
    What do people think of PG's 4 new Charolais pre-order bulls? First, Castor, Artois and Calogero. All bar Calogero have bloodlines which would be known to Irish breeders, with Sylvaner, Pinay, Sesame and Jumper turning up. Must say I like the look of these bulls, the legs seem good and they all have a bit of hindquarter muscle. They are lacking in the eye-muscle area though and like most of the french charolais bulls we see in Ireland they are all carrying a bit too much of a belly.

Pity theyre all 38 euro per straw.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Anyone here able to recomend an easy calving parthenaise bull besides bourvil for maiden heifers? Thanks

pedigree or commercial?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

I used a bit of CBQ and ZGH This year as a bit of an experiment . Fierce easy calfed lively calves. Got all heifers outta them. There still small enough at a month now. To early to tell what the quality is like but you won't have a problem calving them anyway. And they were all up and sucking very quick.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

pedigree or commercial?

Commercial. 35 is a bit much for bourvil for commercial.have a few calves off EZC off second calvers. Might just try a few off them on heifers.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

Anyone ever use the limo bull Emerson,seems to have good terminal and poor replacement figures

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    I used a bit of CBQ and ZGH This year as a bit of an experiment . Fierce easy calfed lively calves. Got all heifers outta them. There still small enough at a month now. To early to tell what the quality is like but you won't have a problem calving them anyway. And they were all up and sucking very quick.
    I have 4 off ZGH so far. They have better growth and bone than BZB the only other part I've used. Pity his maternal values dropped so badly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

danjoe wrote: »
    Anyone ever use the limo bull Emerson,seems to have good terminal and poor replacement figures
    I was talking to a limousin breeder recently that had a few by Emerson. His comment was that they were very quiet. I saw 2 of them and they were fine looking cattle.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

danjoe wrote: »

€60 for a straw, for pedigree breeders only I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Commercial. 35 is a bit much for bourvil for commercial.have a few calves off EZC off second calvers. Might just try a few off them on heifers.

There is a lack of a reasonably priced PT for heifers at the moment. TBX was great for that job.

Richilieu and A Ta Sante are smashing bulls for heifers but they are society bulls.

Has anyone ever used the Bova red angus bull ZLL, or any red angus Ai bull? Any views on them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

tanko wrote: »
    Has anyone ever used the Bova red angus bull ZLL, or any red angus Ai bull? Any views on them?
    Used him on a heifer. She spat him out. He didn't amount to anything as a weanling. Was a five star heifer but would not keep her as a cow.
    I would use him again on a heifer but nothing else.
    I have a 3 Angus bulls used this year on heifers.
    Diego 734 super calf of a RWG Angus heifer.
    KYA alright looking calf off a DPS Hereford heifer.
    AYR bad calf. He's that narrow one eye would do him. Off a GJB heifer.
    Here a few pics of ZLL

image_zpswoaa7zm4.jpeg

image_zpsbske8woe.jpeg

I don't use Angus here, but if you're going the easy calving would you consider HE, SA, SH?

I don't use Angus here, but if you're going the easy calving would you consider HE, SA, SH?

round here we use notting only limo and char and a small bit of simmental. The way I look at it if there not fit for an average calving limo bull there not fit for the bull

tanko wrote: »
    I have 8 calves off him this year from heifers. I like him anyway. The heifers all calf at 24 months so I always use Angus first here. Growth rate good and calved in minutes. Not sure if I can post pics yet but I'll take a few pics today and post them if I can and you can judge them.

The reason I'm asking about Angus Bulls is because I have mostly 3/4 lim cows here now, most of which lack a bit of milk. Trying to keep a closed herd and breed replacements. Farm here is wet and cows are on slats for six months most years, no cubicles. So want a hardy medium sized cow.
    Had a lot of AngusX cowss years ago and have a lot of time for them, easy fed, good feet, good fertility and will have R+ or U grade calves of Ai lim/ch Bulls.
    Will be keeping heifers to eighteen months and selling Bulls as weanlings from now on.
    Put the Saler bull Rio on heifers this year, a neighbour has a CH bull and Saler cows which produce calves with the golden yellow hair which sells so well now. Docility isn't great with some of them tho.
    ZLL looks like a good bull for heifers calving at 2 yr old anyway, his easy calving and high milk is giving him the super maternal figure.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Anybody have Saler cows by RIO?
    I had a lovely quiet heifer by him a few years but got rid of her because figures said at the time he had no milk. He has super figures now.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

I used zll last year on my pbaa cows and again this year.....calves very so small and disappointing for first 4 months but now at 10 mts they have passed out limos the same age , great shape ,flesh, hair and uniformity .....all the stars are a bonus

• Registered Users Posts: 2,313 ✭✭✭TITANIUM.

Guys any of ye any experience with the ch bull MVO? I used to have a pd cow off him and she was a cracker. Every time I ask my AI man to give him to a cow he doesn't have the straws but promises that he will get a few for the tank.
    He's a serious looking bull I'd love to see how he'd cross on lm and blue cow's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Anyone ever try GS vulvus from dova? He's down as a full sim but he has Montbeliarde in his blood.

He dose look like a nice bull to keep a heifer or two as he might breed good milk and length.

• Advertisement

TITANIUM. wrote: »
    Guys any of ye any experience with the ch bull MVO? I used to have a pd cow off him and she was a cracker. Every time I ask my AI man to give him to a cow he doesn't have the straws but promises that he will get a few for the tank.
    He's a serious looking bull I'd love to see how he'd cross on lm and blue cow's.

I used him a few years ago I never took to him but my uncle breed the finest stores i'v ever seen from him year in year out, hes was a quality bull I probably put him on bad cows

Advertisement