Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Fermboy wrote: »
    Used him last October on a few black limo cows…… should be calving in a few weeks

Best of luck with him, you won't have to worry about dehorning anyway. Let us know how it goes.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 Andy Gray

Fermboy wrote:
    Used him last October on a few black limo cows…… should be calving in a few weeks

I'd be watching first few fairly close at calving time. Don't think he'll be a walk in the park!

Andy Gray wrote: »
    I'd be watching first few fairly close at calving time. Don't think he'll be a walk in the park!

Do you think he might be hard enough calved?

Edit, just seen your reply in the other thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭Durrus Boy

Lads and lassies,

Didn't want to go opening a new thread so popping this in here. Need to top the pot up with a maternal limousin ( or what's left of them:-P) - for the autumn calvers but not too sure who to use. Anyone have an opinion on Brooklands - Kjb. Seem to recall @Tanko may have had some this spring....

TIA

• Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭annubis

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Lads and lassies,

Didn't want to go opening a new thread so popping this in here. Need to top the pot up with a maternal limousin ( or what's left of them:-P) - for the autumn calvers but not too sure who to use. Anyone have an opinion on Brooklands - Kjb. Seem to recall @Tanko may have had some this spring....

TIA
    have a few hopefully to calf to him this autumn but nothing landed yet, he is by ronick hawk though so should be good hopefully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

I like EBY

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

mikeoh wrote: »
    I like EBY

What's his figures like now ? I think I have a few heifers out of him , in fact I think the one that calved prematurely is out of him

Durrus Boy wrote: »
    Lads and lassies,

TIA

Yeah, have KJB calves here. Good points, easy calved on cows, brings muscle and shape. Temperament seems good so far.
    Less good points, he wouldn't be a size improver, calves lack a bit of frame, length and height especially at the shoulders. He has a very long gestation, calves often don't arrive until 3 weeks plus after the nine months is up.
    If I was you I'd go for Killskeagh Hill 16 (KZH) instead if you want to breed a few heifers. Should have less muscle and more frame and has milk in his breeding.
    Typical KJB calf with mother.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Here's another KJB calf, she's been earmarked for replacement since about 2 mins old :D I don't mind lack of height, handier cows for wet land. xsqLbAYl.jpg

Have EBY on a maiden BA heifer, due in October- I wanted KZH but he hadn't the straws at the time. All three bulls have been used here in next years calving in hope for heifers, really like KZH though, looks to be a better frame as tanko said above.

Bullocks wrote:
    What's his figures like now ? I think I have a few heifers out of him , in fact I think the one that calved prematurely is out of him

4* replacement 78 . . Terminal 123....I have used him past 2 years very easy calved .. and not a bad calf either......short on hight but nicely muscled tight gut.......no idea what daughters like for milk

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 430 ✭✭Future Farmer

mikeoh wrote: »
    I think Bova genetics in limerick offer this .........cant be much harder than fertility testing

You'd be surprised, heard one AI company had a JE who'd only jump in the dark & some bulls don't jump on the teaser if they have been with cows before....

You'd be surprised, heard one AI company had a JE who'd only jump in the dark & some bulls don't jump on the teaser if they have been with cows before....

Be careful having a jump in the dark.....all grand till someone turns on a light!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,432 ✭✭✭Charliebull

Any good maternal shorthorn bulls out there and where would one get some sexed semen

• Registered Users Posts: 25 shepherd41

SBU is good but doubt there are any straws left. Cogent have sexed female semen from Meonhill Firefox. Don't know about the others in AI, CZB has gone way down in maternal value. Anyone have any heifer/cows from CZB and how did you find them for milk, calving etc? Any pics would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 300 ✭✭welton john

Any good maternal shorthorn bulls out there and where would one get some sexed semen

Saw some stock off WPK with a neighbour was really impressed with them.Have a CH x heifer incalf to him for next year.5 star bull too.Only problem is I think I gave bout 30 for the straw

• Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

Any of ye use APZ ? Got a letter off ICBF that they want to weigh a calf we had out of him this year

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Bullocks wrote: »
    Any of ye use APZ ? Got a letter off ICBF that they want to weigh a calf we had out of him this year

Yeah I factoried one bullock from him and have a heifer of his to calve I thin the month

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

APZ, I have a weanling bull by him , very nice animal. Also a heifer from a 2 year old cow, very disapointed with her. I see his figures are very poor now on ICBF.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

shepherd41 wrote: »
    SBU is good but doubt there are any straws left. Cogent have sexed female semen from Meonhill Firefox. Don't know about the others in AI, CZB has gone way down in maternal value. Anyone have any heifer/cows from CZB and how did you find them for milk, calving etc? Any pics would be great.

Delighted with my 25 or so SBUs in the flask at home...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

Delighted with my 25 or so SBUs in the flask at home...

They've been in that pot a long time. Are you going to actually use them at some point? ;)

• Advertisement

They've been in that pot a long time. Are you going to actually use them at some point? ;)

There were 30 - down 17% to 25

PG 2015/2016 Beef Catalogue up on their website, maybe someone could stick up a link.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Lgl bull calf. Not far off 400 kgs, i'd say. Cow is a huge red lim by mbu.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Lgl bull calf. Not far off 400 kgs, i'd say. Cow is a huge red lim by mbu.

That her behind him? Any SH in her?

And he's more 420ish to my eye :)

Kovu wrote: »
    That her behind him? Any SH in her?

And he's more 420ish to my eye :)
    That's her alright. I reckon she's well over 800kgs. Quite as a lamb. Funny thing is I had to get rid of the grandmother as she was dangerous. I bought in the granma, so don't know her breeding. Calf born late feb.

APZ bull calf. Cow is by Nino.

That's a fair lump of a calf, the cow must have plenty of milk. How do you find APZ calves for docility? I've had a few of them, admittedly they weren't off quiet cows but some of the calves are as crazy as any mad limo.
    I see APZ has been relegated to the back page of the new catalogue after being promoted as the best Sim bull around a couple of years ago.

Curaheen Earp has replaced him as the next big thing in Simmental breeding even though he's hardly had a calf born yet. I can't see too many rushing to use him. It just goes to show the importance of reliability figures. Unless they're over 90% they mean feck all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    That's a fair lump of a calf, the cow must have plenty of milk. How do you find APZ calves for docility? I've had a few of them, admittedly they weren't off quiet cows but some of the calves are as crazy as any mad limo.
    I see APZ has been relegated to the back page of the new catalogue after being promoted as the best Sim bull around a couple of years ago.

Curaheen Earp has replaced him as the next big thing in Simmental breeding even though he's hardly had a calf born yet. I can't see too many rushing to use him. It just goes to show the importance of reliability figures. Unless they're over 90% they mean feck all.
    Is there any other Simmental breeders in the country they could chance buying a bull off I wonder...

• Advertisement

tanko wrote: »

Only have the 2 APZ calves, both are quiet.
    Curaheen Earp is by Cuaheen Vio, who is in the bottom 1% (73% reliability) of the Simmental breed for milk. What are the chences of Earp having milk then. The number one reason to go with a Simmental bull is to add milk. :mad:

Advertisement