Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I was just glad to see Crossmolina Euro back this year! FGG was.......well not disappointing but threw very different calves. Set of twins and a bull and all three look different despite being mostly lm dams. Found him a bit short, anyone else think the same?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Have you seen his figures? proven in France too. I used him this year on a purebred cow.
    You won't be disappointed. There's a breeder not far from me using him a lot. One of the best limo Bulls I seen him breed is by on dit.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Kovu wrote: »
    I was just glad to see Crossmolina Euro back this year! FGG was.......well not disappointing but threw very different calves. Set of twins and a bull and all three look different despite being mostly lm dams. Found him a bit short, anyone else think the same?

do you have any pics.is he easy calving ,bought a cow incalf to him last week

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

do you have any pics.is he easy calving ,bought a cow incalf to him last week

Will have when I'm home. I calved all round the house this year so dad awarded me a calf. I chose the twin heifer, for a reason, she's the nicest. Crap stars for FGG at the moment though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

What kind of money are the on-dit straws, I have a figure of 35 euro in my head.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    What kind of money are the on-dit straws, I have a figure of 35 euro in my head.

€16 euro now.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

tanko wrote: »
    €16 euro now.

Ya, they dropped in price about a week after I bought mine. Talk about bad timing. At that price you could use him on commercial cows.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

Ya, they dropped in price about a week after I bought mine. Talk about bad timing. At that price you could use him on commercial cows.

What kind of cross suits him best do you know?? is he big??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

€16 euro now.

Yeah, at that price I'd definitely use him, my limit on a commercial animal is €20:D

limo_100 wrote: »
    What kind of cross suits him best do you know?? is he big??

I'd say he's big enough, plenty of length and size in his calves. Good cross on small to medium sized well muscled cows I think.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

I'd say he's big enough, plenty of length and size in his calves. Good cross on small to medium sized well muscled cows I think.

A nice blue?

ON-DIT (ONI)
    Attached page from Irish Limousin Sire Catalogue

Also;
    http://www.progressivegenetics.ie/Store/Detail/ON-DIT
    Stars coming out his ears.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Farrell wrote: »
    A nice blue?

Why not, I think you'd need muscle in the cow for good results. He's easy calved anyway. He should be a good bull to breed replacements.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ruben37

Whats peoples views on Cottage Devon? Have used him on five pedigree charolais cows over the last two breeding sessions. first of all never had to use the jack on any of the cows, all spat out and very lively with in the first hour no dopey calf's. Have sold a few to anther pedigree breeder in the north, hes very happy with them they are surpassing all other stock by lgl, mvo, npp, pte, cf85 and one cf52. We have kept two heifers with the intention of breeding. All in all very happy with them to date, cant envisage any problems with milk as all are from very milky dams. Any one breeding with his bulls?

Bottom 1% of the breed for calving difficulty and daughters milk isn't going to do him much good.

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

ruben37 wrote: »
    Whats peoples views on Cottage Devon? Have used him on five pedigree charolais cows over the last two breeding sessions. first of all never had to use the jack on any of the cows, all spat out and very lively with in the first hour no dopey calf's. Have sold a few to anther pedigree breeder in the north, hes very happy with them they are surpassing all other stock by lgl, mvo, npp, pte, cf85 and one cf52. We have kept two heifers with the intention of breeding. All in all very happy with them to date, cant envisage any problems with milk as all are from very milky dams. Any one breeding with his bulls?

Have plenty of stock here from a bull with the same breeding on dams side and produced super stock - 1 lad I sold a bull to lad that kills bulls under 16 mths and the bull I sold him has produced E grade bulls from plain cows but mainly U's and heavier and sooner finished that other bulls he has.
    No bother calving either but he had feck all stars except for CW and CC which in top 1%
    Have moved away from that breeding now to ( right or wrongly) follow the stars and see how that goes.

Can he be got anymore?

I would say his straws will be hard to find was told by progressive that we got their last Cottage Devon straw. Wouldn't mind a few for the tank, in my own personal opinion he was a very good bull and think his off spring will do all the talking. The ICBF got it badly wrong when they rated him easy calving starting out, this duped a lot of breeders this was his down fall and no fault of his own in my opinion.

Cottage Devon has 5534 Births recorded to him, 48% of those are with Charolais Dams.
    16.9% for a calving difficulty to me says, 'Do Not Use'.

Was just talking to a representative in progressive genetics this morning and he tells me Cottage Devon is still available but must be pre ordered. I just ordered anther four will be here in three weeks time, I just can not ignore the quality of his stock in every way.

Seen a daughter of Cottage Devon with her first calf this morning and she had lots of milk, she was out of an Organdi cow a supposed 2 star for milk according to the ICBF, the breeder tells me the Organdi cow had buckets of milk. Time and time again the ICBF stats are proving to be a load of Bull!!! Maybe in eight to ten years time it might be worth a use as a guide, although at the rate of ten a day dropping out of the Beef Data Genomics Program it's not looking good.

• Advertisement

Was just talking to a representative in progressive genetics this morning and he tells me Cottage Devon is still available but must be pre ordered. I just ordered anther four will be here in three weeks time, I just can not ignore the quality of his stock in every way.

Seen a daughter of Cottage Devon with her first calf this morning and she had lots of milk, she was out of an Organdi cow a supposed 2 star for milk according to the ICBF, the breeder tells me the Organdi cow had buckets of milk. Time and time again the ICBF stats are proving to be a load of Bull!!! Maybe in eight to ten years time it might be worth a use as a guide, although at the rate of ten a day dropping out of the Beef Data Genomics Program it's not looking good.

ODI is 1 star (-10.9kg) for milk, but that can change. Have you any opinion on him.
    Think the downside to DEZ is his early calving caused a lot of harm to his stars & now that he's not about there'll not be enough figures

Only ever used Organdi once and got a very good cow with a calving interval average of 397 days. She has seven to date one bull and six heifers and another on the way to Lisnagre Elite, the ICBF has her as a 4 star maternal. An ICBF rep told me she was too terminal and in particular is poor on milk within her pedigree. Yet she has four very good bags of milk and produced four replacements on the farm and another one sold as replacement to another very well known pedigree breeder north of the border, the other one is currently at foot by Cottage Devon.

Anyone who has seen her can not understand how the ICBF say she has no milk, on pushing them for an explanation for 2 weeks they turned round and blamed us for not submitting weaning weights for 3 of them, said she is therefore a 4 star I have asked them how I can correct this as we have the weights. We are still awaiting an answer, PM me your location your very welcome for an inspection anytime their rating for Charolais pedigree animals are ridiculous and as far out as when they soiled their first nappy.

Only ever used Organdi once and got a very good cow with a calving interval average of 397 days. She has seven to date one bull and six heifers and another on the way to Lisnagre Elite, the ICBF has her as a 4 star maternal. An ICBF rep told me she was too terminal and in particular is poor on milk within her pedigree. Yet she has four very good bags of milk and produced four replacements on the farm and another one sold as replacement to another very well known pedigree breeder north of the border, the other one is currently at foot by Cottage Devon.

Anyone who has seen her can not understand how the ICBF say she has no milk, on pushing them for an explanation for 2 weeks they turned round and blamed us for not submitting weaning weights for 3 of them, said she is therefore a 4 star I have asked them how I can correct this as we have the weights. We are still awaiting an answer, PM me your location your very welcome for an inspection anytime their rating for Charolais pedigree animals are ridiculous and as far out as when they soiled their first nappy.

Thanks for that.
    Have a heifer poor stars, had a LM bull over 400Kg at 9 months, in-calf to FFK, as only bought 1 HKI straw. Like the look of Bugatti, Organdi, Devon & Major

Have a look at Alwent Goldbar and let me know your thoughts?

Have a look at Alwent Goldbar and let me know your thoughts?

Looks nice & going onto commercials, have been by a PB breeder to avoid Digger offspring, but great reviews.
    Think looks short

Thanks for that, Goldbar came highly recommended by one of the breeding experts at progressive for the lines I suggested. Back to Cottage Devon, I see the Munster Cattle Breeding Group has Cottage Devon the top of the list at 210 for wean price for Charolais. It's a pity the ICBF damaged the bull by rating him easy calving when starting out, in my opinion this was his only fault and not his own as for milk it appear not to be a problem when used on milky dams.

Thanks for that, Goldbar came highly recommended by one of the breeding experts at progressive for the lines I suggested. Back to Cottage Devon, I see the Munster Cattle Breeding Group has Cottage Devon the top of the list at 210 for wean price for Charolais. It's a pity the ICBF damaged the bull by rating him easy calving when starting out, in my opinion this was his only fault and not his own as for milk it appear not to be a problem when used on milky dams.

But he's not the only one. I downloaded the 2014 excel sheet, some of the Bulls with top weanling prices had poor ratings (only looked CH), must be cos the calves were exported & no kill out figures

Farrell wrote: »
    Thanks for that.
    Have a heifer poor stars, had a LM bull over 400Kg at 9 months, in-calf to FFK, as only bought 1 HKI straw. Like the look of Bugatti, Organdi, Devon & Major

Bite the bullet and Go for Cottage Devon if she has milk, month before she is due close her up and feed her ample decent hay for her size, along with feeding oats and hand full of crunch of any kind to make it more appealing for her also a good quality pre calving bucket IE nutras or the likes, as stated in previous post we have yet to use a jack on any of his produce.

Bite the bullet and Go for Cottage Devon if she has milk, month before she is due close her up and feed her ample decent hay for her size, along with feeding oats and hand full of crunch of any kind to make it more appealing for her also a good quality pre calving bucket IE nutras or the likes, as stated in previous post we have yet to use a jack on any of his produce.
    Reduced silage with straw & oats with seaweed here.
    Oh the PB breeder had nothing but good to say of Egbert & his sons, yet another with bad rating

• Advertisement

Anther very good point with Cottage Devon is they really do convert every ounce of feed. Seen one of his bulls last month, hes indoors on good hay from Wexford and a bull crunch with yeast and acid buff 8.05 euro a bag have to say hes impressive, fertility not a problem either very fruitful on the test with electro pacifier.

Advertisement