Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Bodacious wrote: »
    Any of ye have many cows go over the 300 days ?

I've a lady 300 days today and not a gig out of her

Had a limo cow carry 301 days to KJB last month, have a cow gone 294 days at the moment to QCD, looks like it'll be a few more days yet. What's yours carrying to?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

I had a charolais cow go 309 days to a limousine bull and have a red angus cow up 299 to a lim bull at the minute shes in no hurry to drop him yet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Anything with Blonde in her can carry 300 days handy enough. If you're happy enough otherwise, don't panic just yet.
    At this stage, even a day can make a big difference to her.
    Best of luck with her!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

tanko wrote: »
    Had a limo cow carry 301 days to KJB last month, have a cow gone 294 days at the moment to QCD, looks like it'll be a few more days yet. What's yours carrying to?

Mine is carrying to LGL the char, she a big limousin 3rd calver .. First 2 were OZS lim bull 290, bb heifer by BBQ 283.. LGL saying bout 290 on herdmate gestation on icbf.. She perfectly normal and softening well

Record here was 299 days but this lady going well past it, had a blonde calf go 298 last year also .. Hopefully all will be well

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

Mine is carrying to LGL the char, she a big limousin 3rd calver .. First 2 were OZS lim bull 290, bb heifer by BBQ 283.. LGL saying bout 290 on herdmate gestation on icbf.. She perfectly normal and softening well

Record here was 299 days but this lady going well past it, had a blonde calf go 298 last year also .. Hopefully all will be well

Had an LGL bull calf two weeks ago. Cow went 300 days. Nice calf but nothing to write home about either.

• Advertisement

Anything with Blonde in her can carry 300 days handy enough. If you're happy enough otherwise, don't panic just yet.
    At this stage, even a day can make a big difference to her.
    Best of luck with her!

301, good heifer calf up n sucking when i got to her

photo_zps170ffdde.jpg

photo_zps4402d456.jpg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A heifer at 301 days....... I'd have lost money on that ;-)

^^^^^^^^^^^^^ A heifer at 301 days....... I'd have lost money on that ;-)

I think she will get stq the bb as the char with her taking too long to cook!

Big calf though and she had no bother .. She calved a OZS bull calf as a heifer and set out so much effort in when I got to her she was at full stretch and when she got up she fell three times .. 10/10 for effort there!

Just wondering has anyone used Brookmill Vindicator (VDT) or Wilodge Enrico (WLZ) or know anything about them?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Have a sim cow standing here this evening. Had a root through the pot and found a few TIB Hereford straws. Anyone ever use him and how did ye find him? Found a few Rio straws aswell that I didn't know were there but don't think it would be a great cross with a sim. Might chance him on one or two of the shapier lims.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Have you any other straws? Not sure id use either tbh with a sim.

Have you any other straws? Not sure id use either tbh with a sim.

I have loads of lim and Charolais. Had a good few Hereford x sim cows here years ago. Always liked them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

I have loads of lim and Charolais. Had a good few Hereford x sim cows here years ago. Always liked them.

I'd go ch. But I know what your saying I saw a few he x sim cows on one of the farms I got sim heifers and they were super cows. Depends if you want to keep one for a cow or move along as a weneling.

Have a sim cow standing here this evening. Had a root through the pot and found a few TIB Hereford straws. Anyone ever use him and how did ye find him? Found a few Rio straws aswell that I didn't know were there but don't think it would be a great cross with a sim. Might chance him on one or two of the shapier lims.

Don't know anything about TIB, there was lots of HEX cows here years ago. They made great mothers, the biggest problem with them was too much milk for a calf and big udders when they got older. If the cow has a bit of size to her it wouldn't be a bad cross.
    A Lim or a Ch like Fiston would be good too.
    I'm putting RIO on heifers this year, have you any calves off him?

Don't know anything about TIB, there was lots of HEX cows here years ago. They made great mothers, the biggest problem with them was too much milk for a calf and big udders when they got older. If the cow has a bit of size to her it wouldn't be a bad cross.
    A Lim or a Ch like Fiston would be good too.
    I'm putting RIO on heifers this year, have you any calves off him?

Had a couple 4 or 5 years ago, all Bulls and kept them to year and a halfs. My only experience of dealers but couldn't fault him, had no problem calving them.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

the netherhall herd in England are crossing hereford onto a lot of their PB lim cows now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I've merged numerous threads on this subject (and will add more as I find them) just to try and keep all handy information in one easily searched thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭jay gatsby

Probably too late now for serving your Sim but TIB is Trillick and I found him a super bull. Mainly used for replacements but gave good conformation too we found. Now I'm talking good conformation for a hereford, mightn't compete with the lims and Chars but would be a right good cross with Sim if you got a heifer or two I'd reckon.

Just a note that we only have a small herd so thoughts are based on using him maybe half a dozen times.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

Looking for information if it is possible to collect semen from our stock bull before he is sent to factory,north Munster area Thanks

danjoe wrote: »
    Looking for information if it is possible to collect semen from our stock bull before he is sent to factory,north Munster area Thanks

I'd imagine that would be an expensive business.
    I suppose you could ring Munster Ai or Dovea genetics and see what they say.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,057 ✭✭✭bogman_bass

I'd imagine that would be an expensive business.
    I suppose you could ring Munster Ai or Dovea genetics and see what they say.

They won't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. Too much risk.

I think Coney Island genetics in Sligo do it. You can't sell any of the semen either

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭danjoe

They won't touch it with a 10 foot barge pole. Too much risk.

I think Coney Island genetics in Sligo do it. You can't sell any of the semen either

Thanks for that,was thinking of getting it done from bull for our own use only

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

danjoe wrote: »

I think Bova genetics in limerick offer this .........cant be much harder than fertility testing

I see irish angus soc. are raffling Bohey Jasper straws....e25 each to the names pulled out of a hat......................they also gave a list of old AA bulls with straws still available from PG/Munster....
    http://postimg.org/image/o8qgwx13x/http://s6.postimg.org/uqefdjhsx/WIN_20150604_193225.jpg last bull on munster list ...rainbowhill independence ..............plenty 5* maternal bulls also

• Registered Users Posts: 491 ✭✭LivInt20

mikeoh wrote: »
    I see irish angus soc. are raffling Bohey Jasper straws....e25 each to the names pulled out of a hat......................they also gave a list of old AA bulls with straws still available from PG/Munster....
    http://postimg.org/image/o8qgwx13x/http://s6.postimg.org/uqefdjhsx/WIN_20150604_193225.jpg last bull on munster list ...rainbowhill independence ..............plenty 5* maternal bulls also

How do you go about getting some of these straws?

the Jasper straws are only being raffled between Irish Angus members the rest on the list can be got through your local Munster/PG rep who is listed on the back of the AI book or I say your local AI man could order them too.................................I see a bull there CYY he used to breed great cattle if I remember .... must pull out the old catalogues and resurrect a pic of him , I see he is 5* maternal & 4* terminal with 78% reliability ...no bull on the market with those proofs!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Fermboy

kay 9 wrote: »
    Don't know simmental tbh

Anyone any calves off Simmental bull auroch dueter AHC?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭wiggy123

did ya buy any of them straws mike??

Fermboy wrote: »
    Anyone any calves off Simmental bull auroch dueter AHC?

Was he available last year? I think he only came out this year. He doesn't rate too well on the eurostars at very low reliability tho. I used APZ a bit and I'm sorry I ever heard of him. The fact he's easy calved is the only good thing I can say about him.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4 Fermboy

Was he available last year? I think he only came out this year. He doesn't rate too well on the eurostars at very low reliability tho. I used APZ a bit and I'm sorry I ever heard of him. The fact he's easy calved is the only good thing I can say about him.
    Used him last October on a few black limo cows…… should be calving in a few weeks

Advertisement