Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,238 ✭✭✭tanko

Is there any other Simmental breeders in the country they could chance buying a bull off I wonder...

Yeah, you'd imagine they would have looked somewhere else this time. I see they've got a new Lim bull from Elite with the double muscle gene. He'll hardly be easy calved.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭Miname

Only have the 2 APZ calves, both are quiet.
    Curaheen Earp is by Cuaheen Vio, who is in the bottom 1% (73% reliability) of the Simmental breed for milk. What are the chences of Earp having milk then. The number one reason to go with a Simmental bull is to add milk. :mad:
    I've two purebred heifers off apz out of the same mother, ones springing down and the others just a weanling and I have to say they are completely different animals ones really stylish and the others just a plain butty enough sort of thing, both however are exceptionally quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

mikeoh wrote: »
    I like EBY

Have 10 calves on the ground from him. Very easy calved, all unassisted. Calves developing good shape and length and only month old. Using him, KJB and MBP this year. Going all red lim

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

EBY ticks alot of boxes......but id be greasing the calving jack for MBP

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

tanko wrote: »
    Yeah, you'd imagine they would have looked somewhere else this time. I see they've got a new Lim bull from Elite with the double muscle gene. He'll hardly be easy calved.

It seems very clicky to me who ncbc buy the bulls off anyway. Ardlea/Elite being another example. There has to be Simmental bulls a hundred times better than apz in the country and the same could be said for efz.

• Advertisement

It seems very clicky to me who ncbc buy the bulls off anyway. Ardlea/Elite being another example. There has to be Simmental bulls a hundred times better than apz in the country and the same could be said for efz.
    I've been looking into sims myself for a few replacements and I'm thinking of going with dunmasc genetics they have two sims worth looking at, Direct debit and dragon 12. They have good stars anyway. By the way I've no affiliation to these but outside of importing straws the ratings aren't there on sim.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Had only planned on using him for mature spring calving cows. Can control feed intake and watch them accordingly

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Sligoronan

ADX won't be to tall.

image_zpsbdckk6fa.jpeg

APZ maybe to tall.

image_zpsyrjv66bc.jpeg

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

We'd no calving issues with MBP. In fact miserable enough calves with us but they develop well.

Sligoronan wrote: »
    ADX won't be to tall.

image_zpsbdckk6fa.jpeg

APZ maybe to tall.

image_zpsyrjv66bc.jpeg[/quote anything I've had I'd say the opposite. Apz low set and adx leggy, what sort of cows are they out of?

• Advertisement

APZ off red limousine cow from a shorthorn cow.
    ADX off a AA cow off a BB cow.

Sligoronan wrote: »
    APZ off red limousine cow from a shorthorn cow.
    ADX off a AA cow off a BB cow.

I'd say it's the back breeding, they should make smashing replacements. Has anyone used lisnacran sunny boy or better again has anyone got a picture of him.

Miname wrote: »
    I'd say it's the back breeding, they should make smashing replacements. Has anyone used lisnacran sunny boy or better again has anyone got a picture of him.

Don't have space for them so they will down the road in 5 weeks. Started them on crunch 3 weeks ago as they are late March early April calves and wont weigh to much every kg counts at the ring.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

not one to be found, bit strange.

not one to be found, bit strange.

All pics of his progeny and none of him, anyone know the reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

Zbf bull calf born early February out of a lim x British friesan cow. At least 350kg now without any meal.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

I really don't like simmentals :((

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭ZETOR_IS_BETTER

Zbf bull calf born early February out of a lim x British friesan cow. At least 350kg now without any meal.

Lovely animal :) was he easily calved?

Kovu wrote: »
    I really don't like simmentals :((

You have to admit they make serious cows.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,747 ✭✭✭Mac Taylor

A Simmental x ch cow is hard to beat. Have a few of them and they breed very well with the LM.

• Advertisement

Mac Taylor wrote: »
    A Simmental x ch cow is hard to beat. Have a few of them and they breed very well with the LM.

A sim cross limo you get a bit more style. I've a Ba x sim at home rears a cracking calf every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭mikeoh

New PG angus bull treebridge embleton carries the double muscle gene!!!!!,....... time for a dna test

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

They take so much feeding though!

• Registered Users Posts: 101 ✭✭eoinmk2

Kovu wrote: »
    They take so much feeding though!

Does anyone know any actual statistics on suckler cow intakes?

I hear this "take too much feeding" a lot. is it just farmer hear say, or have any actual studies been done?

I'm not arguing they dont eat more, would just like to see some figures. genuinely curious

eoinmk2 wrote: »

I hear this "take too much feeding" a lot. is it just farmer hear say, or have any actual studies been done?

I'm not arguing they dont eat more, would just like to see some figures. genuinely curious

I scratch my head when people say they eat more :confused:
    I have sims, lim and hereford, FRxherf and the odd chx and I can say I notice no difference between them. Although I will say that the herefords are greedy feckers at the nut trough. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

eoinmk2 wrote: »

Ya, ICBF have a 'Feed Intake' value for all the breeds.

Limousin = -0.47
    Saler = -0.28
    Charolais = -0.04
    Angus = 0.2
    Simmental = 0.40

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

Limousin = -0.47
    Saler = -0.28
    Charolais = -0.04
    Angus = 0.2
    Simmental = 0.40

Interesting figures, must keep a closer eye on the sims this winter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,580 ✭✭✭Mad4simmental

Limousin = -0.47
    Saler = -0.28
    Charolais = -0.04
    Angus = 0.2
    Simmental = 0.40

So lim eat more?
    I'd say there is fcuk all between a 600kg ch, lim, sim. The cow with the most milk will require more feed to produce that milk but the calf will put on more KGs.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

So lim eat more?

You wish.:D No Limousins eat less.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,890 ✭✭✭Bullocks

I've one sim cow and her head is always down eating compared to the AA or lim cows . I still like them as a breed and LCs weanling in a smasher .
    Do they take a bit longer to finish over lims and ch cattle . It probably doesn't suit to buy them if they are older and heavier than what's wanted in the factory

Advertisement