Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Beef AI/Bulls MEGATHREAD

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 571 ✭✭✭croot

I do think that the ICBF figures can be a bit odd at times but I have an ODI cow out of a very milky shorthorn cow and she's useless for milk. Gave her a second chance this year but still poor so culling her this year.

Her older sister is out of KIB and has loads of milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Farrell

croot wrote: »
    I do think that the ICBF figures can be a bit odd at times but I have an ODI cow out of a very milky shorthorn cow and she's useless for milk. Gave her a second chance this year but still poor so culling her this year.

Her older sister is out of KIB and has loads of milk.
    Who technically is worse for milk, but his dam is off IDU who on paper wasn't good for milk, but on my fathers farm added milk to cows that would have been CHxCHxSI, apart from better frames too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

March born vagabond bull calf.

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

March born vagabond bull calf.

Great animal. Did u find him easy calved?

J DEERE wrote: »
    Great animal. Did u find him easy calved?

To be honest I bought the cow and calf off a friend in the spring but I know he had a few calves by him without any bother. Calf is exceptionally quiet too.

• Advertisement

See Cottage & Ashleigh herds are having a dispersal sale, Is Vern coming up soon too, that's allot lately

Anyone going to use this lad, proper looking Charolais bull!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,241 ✭✭✭✭Kovu

Reminds me of Hara Kiri! Built like a low tank and fluffy hair.

Edit- Well now, just looked him up on ICBF, he has him in the bloodline!!

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭ellewood

Well it even tell u u on page to 'use him' so suppose will have to

Good looking bull alright with great figures/stars

I'd imagine those stars will drop from those heights as relevant increases

I do like the look of him and his breeding tho!

Farrell wrote: »
    See Cottage & Ashleigh herds are having a dispersal sale, Is Vern coming up soon too, that's allot lately

You would have to wonder where buyers are going to come for em all tho.. fantastic looking stock in catalogue and great breeding going back generations
    Going to see if anything at right price
    There's a full sister to ADA I'd like to buy

• Advertisement

ellewood wrote: »
    Well it even tell u u on page to 'use him' so suppose will have to

Good looking bull alright with great figures/stars

I'd imagine those stars will drop from those heights as relevant increases

I do like the look of him and his breeding tho!

I wouldn't take much notice of the stars with him. If his calving difficulty rises he will get hammered on icbf and more than likely they will. I much rather the look of him to some of the piggy little bulls that are being pushed hard by the ai companies. Looks more like Charolais did ten years ago. I have a neighbour with a bull by newlook out of a 52 cow and I have never seen cattle like what he breeds to put on weight and he always gets top dollar for the aswell yet he is a disaster on the star front. I know a man that bought 3 bullocks off him last year and killed them during the summer and the averaged €2300 at 520kg carcass under 30 months and they wouldn't have been massively pushed. I think that genetically Charolais cattle have moved away from that huge growth rate a bit when you see the likes of fiston and lgl being the most widely used sires. Not sure if it's a step in the right direction...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,739 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

The only worry would be calving difficulty with a new bull like that. No harm try a few cows before going mad using him. Super looking bull alright.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Registered Users Posts: 1,364 ✭✭✭limo_100

I wouldn't take much notice of the stars with him. If his calving difficulty rises he will get hammered on icbf and more than likely they will. I much rather the look of him to some of the piggy little bulls that are being pushed hard by the ai companies. Looks more like Charolais did ten years ago. I have a neighbour with a bull by newlook out of a 52 cow and I have never seen cattle like what he breeds to put on weight and he always gets top dollar for the aswell yet he is a disaster on the star front. I know a man that bought 3 bullocks off him last year and killed them during the summer and the averaged €2300 at 520kg carcass under 30 months and they wouldn't have been massively pushed. I think that genetically Charolais cattle have moved away from that huge growth rate a bit when you see the likes of fiston and lgl being the most widely used sires. Not sure if it's a step in the right direction...
    wel Im going to pull you up on something maybe you are right the breed has changed alot of the size that used to come from the likes of newlook have slowed abit in pursuit of the weanling trade but lgl i have a few and there weight gain is phenomenal I have an lgl bullock march 14 closing in on 650kg possibly the best we have ever had for weight gain and not bad for size either. Also if your looking for an old style Charolais bull use GKA I have a few on the ground from the Autumn calvers great growth will make great stores

Looks more like Charolais did ten years ago. .

NXB was a favourite of mine years ago, dunno if any of his semen is still to be got. Bred serious weanlings. As did NBC and BVX. We used them almost exclusively for two/three years in a row. Always had weanling bulls 400kg+ at 8/9 months back then.

limo_100 wrote: »
    wel Im going to pull you up on something maybe you are right the breed has changed alot of the size that used to come from the likes of newlook have slowed abit in pursuit of the weanling trade but lgl i have a few and there weight gain is phenomenal I have an lgl bullock march 14 closing in on 650kg possibly the best we have ever had for weight gain and not bad for size either. Also if your looking for an old style Charolais bull use GKA I have a few on the ground from the Autumn calvers great growth will make great stores
    Fair enough, that's some weight gain in fairness. Those 3 bullocks the neighbour had were 640kg when he sold them at 18 months aswell. I don't feed any worse than him and my Lims would be 150kg behind than at that age at the very least, no way I could get them near that weight. Only one breed to put down the scales and it would be a shame to lose it.

Sadly calving figures can destroy a bull, sure look at DEZ.
    He looks big with good frame, is that reality or just a good photographer?

Good looking bull too, but so are other Bollenger sons, & not great for stars (if you're following them)

Kovu wrote: »
    NXB was a favourite of mine years ago, dunno if any of his semen is still to be got. Bred serious weanlings. As did NBC and BVX. We used them almost exclusively for two/three years in a row. Always had weanling bulls 400kg+ at 8/9 months back then.
    Bova have some great Bulls, even VAK left his mark.
    Had you Patrick, or just order the straws?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 ruben37

Any pedigree breeders breeding Lisnagre Elite (LGL) daughters if so what bulls are you breeding to?

Bova have some great Bulls, even VAK left his mark.
    Had you Patrick, or just order the straws?

Patrick B?

Nah, use a different fella. He's very good around the cattle and knows his stuff almost as well as myself :P Invincible was a great breeder of breeding bulls, VAK's sire, still see him as GS/MGS in a lot of Ch lads. Only ch bulls I've used this year were PIO and CSQ. 2 BAs, one BB and LM on rest of them.

• Advertisement

Patrick B?

Nah, use a different fella. He's very good around the cattle and knows his stuff almost as well as myself :P Invincible was a great breeder of breeding bulls, VAK's sire, still see him as GS/MGS in a lot of Ch lads. Only ch bulls I've used this year were PIO and CSQ. 2 BAs, one BB and LM on rest of them.
    That's him, a good catalogue, used SFL & BYQ on heifers. Had 1 PIO & was disappointed, had a better calf (same Dam), this year off CQA.
    What about Fury Action?

Patrick B?

Of all the bulls I think ur spot on with him he is in the back breeding either dam or sire side of a lot of good bulls and cows

That's him, a good catalogue, used SFL & BYQ on heifers. Had 1 PIO & was disappointed, had a better calf (same Dam), this year off CQA.
    What about Fury Action?

PIO needs a bit of CH in the dam to come nice, ideally a lm/ch cross and you'll get a lovely hairy calf.
    Never used Fury Action, this year I've used KJB and EBY lims on high starred cows we want replacements off, KOY and KCE blondes on a couple of pb lims, PIO & CSQ on larger framed cows with a bit of sim in back breeding and SFL & VDV on cows that are high starred and can calve a bus :D

Oh and THZ lim on three heifers. I had fun picking all those out!

PIO needs a bit of CH in the dam to come nice, ideally a lm/ch cross and you'll get a lovely hairy calf.
    Never used Fury Action, this year I've used KJB and EBY lims on high starred cows we want replacements off, KOY and KCE blondes on a couple of pb lims, PIO & CSQ on larger framed cows with a bit of sim in back breeding and SFL & VDV on cows that are high starred and can calve a bus :D

Oh and THZ lim on three heifers. I had fun picking all those out!
    Dam is 97%CH, tall narrowish & good hair alright, other calves CQA & UBY wider, more muscle, not as tall, good hair, not as much.
    Likes SFL, easy calved & grew well & sold well, even saw he killed well (u16m)

Dam is 97%CH, tall narrowish & good hair alright, other calves CQA & UBY wider, more muscle, not as tall, good hair, not as much.
    Likes SFL, easy calved & grew well & sold well, even saw he killed well (u16m)

The dam I put SFL on this year is third gen from milking stock, half lim/quarter sim, quarter something that could be a sh or a brfr. Every bull she has had has been fecking exported bar last years so can't see how they graded but last years was killed at 15 months so should see him on the next report. Have a five star heifer out of her this year off KJB. Am disappointed with our last SFL calf this year, hope he perks up a bit over winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,204 ✭✭✭adne

Would he not get nailed in the factory for those kind of dead weights, bull price i presume!?

Good looking bull too, but so are other Bollenger sons, & not great for stars (if you're following them)

I dont know much about the breeding site unless its from irish bulls im not upin the english breeding system. I am keeping an eye on the stars but sometimes you have to go with your gut and id imagine all of his offspring i get will end up in beef so it wont really matter

Fair enough, that's some weight gain in fairness. Those 3 bullocks the neighbour had were 640kg when he sold them at 18 months aswell. I don't feed any worse than him and my Lims would be 150kg behind than at that age at the very least, no way I could get them near that weight. Only one breed to put down the scales and it would be a shame to lose it.

Iv been selling this weather and have being to a good few marts in the past month and iv come to the conclusion to go all Charolais this year bar a few heifers, I was using all limousin in the last few years trying to improve things but id nearly be better off buying them and getting more for my stock, Il let you know his weight im gonna sell him next week or the week after

• Registered Users Posts: 6,225 ✭✭✭charolais0153

Iv been selling this weather and have being to a good few marts in the past month and iv come to the conclusion to go all Charolais this year bar a few heifers, I was using all limousin in the last few years trying to improve things but id nearly be better off buying them and getting more for my stock, Il let you know his weight im gonna sell him next week or the week after

same here the gold/ white cattle get a premium .had a yellow Limousin heifer that was fleshy and r grade 350 kgs get 890 while her comrade a red limo out of same bull ,u grade 380kgs get 900.makes no sense to me really

• Advertisement

Yea a good block of an R grade ch weanling will bring an extra 50 bucks around here as well the lad finishing will pick them every time

Advertisement