Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

martyos121 wrote: »
    They need to stack this card to the brim if they want to get anywhere near to a sellout of Cowboys stadium and the max they could get in my estimation is around the 85,000 mark. This is the kind of card I'd put up:

Aldo vs. McGregor MAIN EVENT
    Rousey vs. Tate CO MAIN
    CM Punk vs. ideally another debuting crossover athlete
    Hendricks (Texas boy for the home crowd) vs. Condit title eliminator
    Faber (might as well put both TUF coaches on the same card) vs. Sterling

I think that would do a good job of selling tickets and moving the needle, would be the strongest UFC card ever in terms of big names for certain. Will this happen, probably not, but they need to pull out all the stops to pull off a show in Cowboys Stadium.

Joseph Benavidez is from Texas but Mighty Mouse is fighting Dodson in September, maybe too quick of a turnaround.

I'm sure a latino fighter would draw a big crowd from the Mexican population in Texas

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

martyos121 wrote: »
    They need to stack this card to the brim if they want to get anywhere near to a sellout of Cowboys stadium and the max they could get in my estimation is around the 85,000 mark. This is the kind of card I'd put up:

Aldo vs. McGregor MAIN EVENT
    Rousey vs. Tate CO MAIN
    CM Punk vs. ideally another debuting crossover athlete
    Hendricks (Texas boy for the home crowd) vs. Condit title eliminator
    Faber (might as well put both TUF coaches on the same card) vs. Sterling

I think that would do a good job of selling tickets and moving the needle, would be the strongest UFC card ever in terms of big names for certain. Will this happen, probably not, but they need to pull out all the stops to pull off a show in Cowboys Stadium.

Ah man no offence but you have free reign to do what you want and you come up with that?:D

Keep Rousey well away unless it is vs Cyborg.

Conor vs Aldo.
    Get Cowboy vs RDA as co- main.
    Velasquez vs Ubereem.
    Jacare vs Romero.
    Faber vs Holloway (if he wins).
    Hendricks vs Woodley.
    Matt Brown vs Gunnar Nelson. .

Damn the possibilities for that card are crazy.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

Oooh fantasy cards.

Aldo vs McGregor
    Robbie vs Hendricks
    Mendes vs Edgar (winner fights champion after the rematch which will inevitably happen).
    CM Punk vs (irrelevant in terms of drawing power)
    DJ vs Cruz

I'd be into that anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭Joe24

Would love to see it in that stadium. Just can't see t happening though.

The UFC are in Houston on 3rd of October for UFC 192. Would they go back to the same market 2 months later with a stadium show?

As for dream cards:

McGregor vs Aldo Title Fight
    Lawlor vs GSP Title Fight
    Fedor vs someone (Arlovski/Hunt/Randy Couture??)
    CM Punk vs someone (doesn't matter who)
    Hendricks vs Woodley

That might go a long way to filling the stadium imo

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

McGregor vs Aldo vs Edgar (Triple Threat)
    Anderson Silva vs GSP
    Cain vs Jon Jones
    Lawler vs Hendricks
    Ronda vs Cyborg

Easy money :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,156 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

Like womens football I just can't take womens fighting seriously.....watched a few of the weigh ins and chuckled a bit ......Ronda Rowsey big woopee doo :rolleyes: ....I know they're serious athletes and fight is real but does nothing for me

• Registered Users Posts: 5,159 ✭✭✭mrkiscool2

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Like womens football I just can't take womens fighting seriously.....watched a few of the weigh ins and chuckled a bit ......Ronda Rowsey big woopee doo :rolleyes: ....I know they're serious athletes and fight is real but does nothing for me
    Wow! That's bizarre, Rousey is a beast! Love watching that woman fight, incredible talent!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,377 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

Well at least my fantasy card was somewhat realistic! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

Women's fights are regularly bloodbaths, what's not to love? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,917 ✭✭✭cletus

Have you watched Joanna Champion's* last two fights? If they don't do anything for you, I dunno if you're still allowed call yourself a fight fan

* not going near that last name

• Advertisement

Women's fights are regularly bloodbaths, what's not to love? :pac:

I just can't take to women doing certain sports as a spectacle (for me) and get caught up in it the way you normally do......Katie Tayler being one of the few exceptions

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

I just can't take to women doing certain sports as a spectacle (for me) and get caught up in it the way you normally do......Katie Tayler being one of the few exceptions

Katie taylor has less competition than rousey ffs

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

cletus wrote: »
    Have you watched Joanna Champion's* last two fights? If they don't do anything for you, I dunno if you're still allowed call yourself a fight fan

* not going near that last name

Agree with this, Joanna champion is an absolute beast love watching her fight even though women fights don't really do it for me her and a few others would be an exception.

I agree they're not as entertaining as men's fights, but Ronda and Joanna are absolute tanks and their fights are always spectacles. Just look at the numbers Ronda draws

I agree they're not as entertaining as men's fights, but Ronda and Joanna are absolute tanks and their fights are always spectacles. Just look at the numbers Ronda draws

Not disputing the numbers, I did say it was just me......I just can't take certain womens sports ie footballl, Rugby or fighting seriously.....as a novelty maybe but I'd have no real interest

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Not disputing the numbers, I did say it was just me......I just can't take certain womens sports ie footballl, Rugby or fighting seriously.....as a novelty maybe but I'd have no real interest

I was the same when the women's division was brought in but they won me over.

No one in the UFC comes out as focused and aggressive as Ronda.
    Her walk on is class, love watching her.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Davei141 wrote: »
    Jesus that is probably the worst argument of all time.

Must be a bit embarrassing then that you were unable to correct me on a single point of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Foxtrol wrote: »
    Must be a bit embarrassing then that you were unable to correct me on a single point of it.

It makes no sense whatsoever. Cub Swanson, Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier better strikers than Mendes? You live in fantasy land, not one of those would get even a quarter of the success Mendes got against Aldo. Not even Edgar was close to that success. Your opinion is based on nothing, and the fact you say he just got 1 round in that second Aldo fight ignoring what actually transpired makes me think you haven't even seen the fight or are just talking rubbish for the sake of it.

hqdefault.jpg

Mendes average striking vs the greatest featherweight of all time. Please do keep doing mental gymnastics to justify talking boll0cks.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,101 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Davei141 wrote: »
    It makes no sense whatsoever. Cub Swanson, Max Holloway and Dustin Poirier better strikers than Mendes? You live in fantasy land, not one of those would get even a quarter of the success Mendes got against Aldo. Not even Edgar was close to that success. Your opinion is based on nothing, and the fact you say he just got 1 round in that second Aldo fight ignoring what actually transpired makes me think you haven't even seen the fight or are just talking rubbish for the sake of it.

Mendes average striking vs the greatest featherweight of all time. Please do keep doing mental gymnastics to justify talking boll0cks.

Care to show a picture of Aldo after the first fight???

I’ve repeatedly said he has power and is a dangerous striker because of it but the fact that he did so much damage to Aldo and lost 4 of the 5 rounds points the fact he relies on infrequent power shots than regular combinations that score points. He’ll do that sort of damage to a striker’s face over 5 rounds but on their feet will lose the decision every time.

So do you agree with Ken that he’s the second best striker in the division (how I was originally brought into this discussion)?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,759 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Ye. How dare those cheeky girls leave the kitchen. Jesus how do there husbands let them away with it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,337 ✭✭✭moneyman

Joanna is easily one of the best fighters to watch in the whole UFC IMO. Her striking is insane and she has a great personality.

Any chance she'll be on the Dublin card? I would absolutely love her as the main or co-main. Seems a stretch though.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

I’ve repeatedly said he has power and is a dangerous striker because of it but the fact that he did so much damage to Aldo and lost 4 of the 5 rounds pointsthe fact he relies on infrequent power shots than regular combinations that score points. He’ll do that sort of damage to a striker’s face over 5 rounds but on their feet will lose the decision every time.

So do you agree with Ken that he’s the second best striker in the division (how I was originally brought into this discussion)?

Thats how the judges scored it if you watched it, many at the time including myself had it 2-2 going into final round he really made Aldo work hard for his victory whatever way you look at it.

I really dunno what you are trying to say any fighter would love these "infrequent power shots" as you put it also any time he has been to decision he has won apart from Aldo, you do actually score points for damage too ya know.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

.ak wrote: »
    A lot of people mock the bandwagoners

You have to laugh at those people, with their whole year of experience now in following Mr. Mcgregor.

Those MMA expert's who command superiority over others who are new to the thread. Bandwagoners :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Dana confirms they are looking at Cowboys stadium but not for the 5th

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/7/17/8991105/ufc-look-at-holding-aldo-vs-mcgregor-at-at-t-stadium-in-december

Cowboys have a home game on the 19th so that leaves the 12th really, unless it's Stephens Day lol
    http://www.dallascowboys.com/team/season-schedule

• Registered Users Posts: 39,156 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Early indicators/advance purchases are suggesting 189 did 700-1.1m buys on cable.
    That's not including buys from ufc.tv, youtube, console etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Mellor wrote: »
    Early indicators/advance purchases are suggesting 189 did 700-1.1m buys on cable.
    That's not including buys from ufc.tv, youtube, console etc

That's absolutly amazing, absolutely delighted for Conor!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

I’ve repeatedly said he has power and is a dangerous striker because of it but the fact that he did so much damage to Aldo and lost 4 of the 5 rounds points the fact he relies on infrequent power shots than regular combinations that score points. He’ll do that sort of damage to a striker’s face over 5 rounds but on their feet will lose the decision every time.

Hahaha, how pathetic, why are you making sh1t up? I never said That.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 462 ✭✭wylie

I worried about the Aldo fight, Conor is a great fighter with great accuracy and serious power, but he looks like he is willing to take a few digs when landing his own, i know he took a few hard hits from mendes and took them well, but its a obvious weakness i think. Also his stance is very wide, could make him susceptible to Aldo's Kicks.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,030 ✭✭✭✭walshb

And to think Manny and Floyd shared 200 + million dollars for 12 rds of tag boxing. Glad Conor is getting a good crust!

• Advertisement

walshb wrote: »
    And to think Manny and Floyd shared 200 + million dollars for 12 rds of tag boxing. Glad Conor is getting a good crust!

Boxing MMA

Advertisement