Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

maximoose wrote: »
    Article here

That's absolutely massive

1408722578-cowboys-stadium1.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

nm wrote: »
    That's absolutely massive

Jaysus, that must be pushing 100,000

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

No I get that and I'm not arguing against that. The guys he has fought all have a ton of decisions between them

Cathal: 11 Dec
    Umalatov: 10 Dec
    Spencer: 10 Dec
    Howard: 15 Dec

So it's not surprising that he's been in some of the worst fights but he hasn't done anything to make himself stand out against these guys...

Give him a killer finisher next! Problem sorted. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,590 ✭✭✭CurryFlavoured

The only way I see Pendred in an entertaining fight is if he's beaten. I know the King fight was great but it could easily (probably should have) been stopped in the first. Its lose/lose, I don't want to see another borefest but i don't want him ktfo either.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

maximoose wrote: »
    Article here

According to that article Manny Pacquiao fought there twice with an average attendance of 45K.

355544.jpg

I think the stadium holds 80K for an American football match so with seats on the pitch it could be 100K. That's just nuts.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39,113 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I'd say his point was more someone like Cody MacKenzie. Very good at subbing mediocre grapplers.

Ronda can obviously hang in there with the elite
    It was about Chad having the best Power but nothing much else.

MacKenzie hasn't got the best guillotine, or anything like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,402 ✭✭✭nxbyveromdwjpg

BaZmO* wrote: »
    According to that article Manny Pacquiao fought there twice with an average attendance of 45K.

355544.jpg

I think the stadium holds 80K for an American football match so with seats on the pitch it could be 100K. That's just nuts.

I've read it's 105k including the pitch. Huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

Vegas was amazing (my first time there) but having been there already if i was going to make the trip over to see McGregor fight again so soon i'd happily welcome the move to Texas! See something new, and i'd say the atmosphere in the AT&T would be immense! I can't imagine it selling out 100K tickets but even 60+K at a UFC gig would be unreal! i definitely reckon McGregor V Aldo could easily top UFC 129 which had an attendance of 55K.

Was looking there and flights, accommo and a ticket would fall just under a grand for a friday to Monday jobbie. 3 nights would be enough this time i reckon.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I hate to say it but I wonder if they would fill it without flooding their own market. I mean, the Irish travelled to see him win the belt and might well travel again (even though a lot of people might not be able to afford a second trip to the states so soon). Its scheduled provisionally for the day after New Year which might also be a problem (not to mention Xmas and the costs that that entails).

2,500 people travelled to see him from here apparently so even doubling that to 5K still leaves a lot of seats :) Brazillians would account for more than the Irish I guess but the majority would have to be taken up by Americans. Now I don't doubt they would sell the tickets provided they are priced right but with so many tickets to sell, they run the risk of flooding their own market. They certainly wouldn't get vegas prices for the vast majority of the seats....

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

I suppose it'd depend on who's on the rest of the card.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭glass half full

DeVore wrote: »
    I hate to say it but I wonder if they would fill it without flooding their own market. I mean, the Irish travelled to see him win the belt and might well travel again (even though a lot of people might not be able to afford a second trip to the states so soon). Its scheduled provisionally for the day after New Year which might also be a problem (not to mention Xmas and the costs that that entails).

2,500 people travelled to see him from here apparently so even doubling that to 5K still leaves a lot of seats :) Brazillians would account for more than the Irish I guess but the majority would have to be taken up by Americans. Now I don't doubt they would sell the tickets provided they are priced right but with so many tickets to sell, they run the risk of flooding their own market. They certainly wouldn't get vegas prices for the vast majority of the seats....

The ticket prices would need to be lowered to fill this but I do feel the demand would be there. The amount of Americans wearing McGregor t-shirts etc. was amazing. He would have the support to fill it I would think.

The only thing is with Aldo's history of missing fights, they would have to stack the card huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,094 ✭✭✭SpaceCowb0y

I think its safe to say they could easily get 60K but yes ticket prices are obviously going to be starting much lower than they were for 189, nobody is going to fork out 250 lids to sit up the very top of the AT&T, you'd need binoculars to see anything! In fact i'd say for the 250 I paid for my tickets for 189 you'd probably do quite well in the stadium seat wise!

As said above the amount of Americans wearing the Mcgregor Reebok t-shirt and holding Tricolours was unreal! there was an entire row of Asians just in front of us and every one of them was cheering on McGregor and wearing the shirt!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

If they put another title shot on the same card as Jose vs Conor and put CM Punk's debut on as well i'd say they could easily fill the place up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,681 ✭✭✭JustTheOne

If it is December 4 how does that tie in with tuf?

Would he be doing too much in a small timeframe.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Don't forget Cowboys stadium has the worlds largest HD TVs which will be hanging over the octagon so whereever u sit you'll be fine.

Of the 100k seats a couple 1000 are standing in the Cowboy Experience zone which I presume will be closed for UFC, nobody is going to stand for 5/6 hours.

Still the stadium seems too large. How many are going to travel from Ireland? Certainly not as much UFC189 (Vegas factor, J1 factor) Vegas is close proximity to California is a big factor too a lot of people are within driving range while Dallas everybody's going to have to fly there

I don't I don't see them coming close to hundred thousand but if they're happy with 50,000 then let's do it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Also what is the Dallas Cowboys schedule what weekends are they playing away in December?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

JustTheOne wrote: »
    If it is December 4 how does that tie in with tuf?

Would he be doing too much in a small timeframe.

TUF I think is seen as almost a break/holiday for Conor I think

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Hazys wrote: »
    Also what is the Dallas Cowboys schedule what weekends are they playing away in December?

It's december, there season will be over, you know that!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,674 ✭✭✭nerd69

It's december, there season will be over, you know that!

was just about to post this :D

• Registered Users Posts: 11,048 ✭✭✭✭Foxtrol

Mellor wrote: »
    The bolded part basically describes Ronda Rousey.
    Extremely dominant with one sub, and absolutely the best grappler in the division.

That would only be a fair comparison to what I said if Ronda had her armbar but only average technique to take them down, which is clearly not the case. She’s also managed to do it to all comers in her division, whereas Chad’s KOs have come against guys that striking isn’t their background, he’s not been able to replicate it against strikers in the UFC – he’s been KO’d twice and one only a single round in the fight that went the distance.

• Advertisement

Foxtrol wrote: »
    That would only be a fair comparison to what I said if Ronda had her armbar but only average technique to take them down, which is clearly not the case. She’s also managed to do it to all comers in her division, whereas Chad’s KOs have come against guys that striking isn’t their background, he’s not been able to replicate it against strikers in the UFC – he’s been KO’d twice and one only a single round in the fight that went the distance.

Jesus that is probably the worst argument of all time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

I watched Gunni's fight again last night and the speed he takes his opponents back and gets two hooks in is absolutely terrifying. He's like a buttered eel on the ground. Really, watch it again and when his opponent gives up his back, watch the speed Gunni gets his feet in. O.o

• Registered Users Posts: 3,935 ✭✭✭Tazzimus

I watched Gunni's fight again last night and the speed he takes his opponents back and gets two hooks in is absolutely terrifying. He's like a buttered eel on the ground. Really, watch it again and when his opponent gives up his back, watch the speed Gunni gets his feet in. O.o
    Seen someone describe him as being like an anaconda once it goes to the ground, perfect description I thought.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 33,733 ✭✭✭✭Myrddin

I thought the two strikes were class, but to see the ground work then was just pure art.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,137 ✭✭✭TimRiggins

If they put another title shot on the same card as Jose vs Conor and put CM Punk's debut on as well i'd say they could easily fill the place up.

Cowboy v RDA as the co-main and CM Punks debut would be immense.

The return of Jon Jones would be appropriate for a stadium show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

Myrddin wrote: »
    I thought the two strikes were class, but to see the ground work then was just pure art.

Bang on. To be fair, there are very few that can match his BJJ pedigree or accolades in the entire UFC. Werdum, Jacare, Maia and a few more maybe.

In the WW top 15 now, you have Demian Maia and Gunnar Nelson as two almost indistinct dots on the horizon in terms of pure BJJ, by comparison to the rest IMO. (I bolded pure before anyone jumps down my throat LOL)

Would love to see a fight between the two of them in the future. Not right away though.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,390 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

TimRiggins wrote: »
    Cowboy v RDA as the co-main and CM Punks debut would be immense.

This will either be in an event in Chicago or else early-main card at UFC 200.

Davei141 wrote: »
    The return of Jon Jones would be appropriate for a stadium show.
    Coke Cola could sponsor it.... >.>

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

They need to stack this card to the brim if they want to get anywhere near to a sellout of Cowboys stadium and the max they could get in my estimation is around the 85,000 mark. This is the kind of card I'd put up:

Aldo vs. McGregor MAIN EVENT
    Rousey vs. Tate CO MAIN
    CM Punk vs. ideally another debuting crossover athlete
    Hendricks (Texas boy for the home crowd) vs. Condit title eliminator
    Faber (might as well put both TUF coaches on the same card) vs. Sterling

I think that would do a good job of selling tickets and moving the needle, would be the strongest UFC card ever in terms of big names for certain. Will this happen, probably not, but they need to pull out all the stops to pull off a show in Cowboys Stadium.

Advertisement