Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭Bandana boy

those elbows don't really hurt, they are just annoying tbh

The great Polka Dot one (RIP) would disagree about what damage an elbow to the head can do

attachment.php?attachmentid=225433&d=1434053865

• Registered Users Posts: 1,454 ✭✭✭slicus ricus

The great Polka Dot one (RIP) would disagree about what damage an elbow to the head can do

attachment.php?attachmentid=225433&d=1434053865

Think you're in the wrong forum:rolleyes:.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,153 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

I watched the Ronda Rowsey fight the other night for those commenting on womens fights a few pages back.......sorry but no I just don't get it, yeah she can fight for what it is .......but the whole thing holds about as much appeal for me as WWF wrestlemania or similar novelty acts

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

sonofenoch wrote: »
    I watched the Ronda Rowsey fight the other night for those commenting on womens fights a few pages back.......sorry but no I just don't get it, yeah she can fight for what it is .......but the whole thing holds about as much appeal for me as WWF wrestlemania or similar novelty acts

2/10

• Registered Users Posts: 29,536 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Jaysus close this thread already please.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,402 ✭✭✭Tinie

Brush up on your trolling, poor attempt.

Tinie wrote: »
    Brush up on your trolling, poor attempt.

No it's my opinion to which I'm entitled, and before anyone mentions kitchens or whatever nonsense it's not an anti-women thing.......there are many women's sports that are on a par and in some cases better than mens, Athletics and many other Olympic sports are top notch........but some just don't crossover (for me) .....fighting be it boxing MMA or soccer are just poor affairs as a spectacle

What this got to do with McGregor v Mendes?

What this got to do with McGregor v Mendes?

Few pages back there was talk of Rousey being on the main card with McGregor/Aldo .....that's to replace the caliber of Lawler/McDonald? I'd feel robbed paying for a ticket ........but as mentioned the numbers would stack up (but I can't see it) that's me personally my view :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,224 ✭✭✭✭DrPhilG

Few pages back there was talk of Rousey being on the main card with McGregor/Aldo .....that's to replace the caliber of Lawler/McDonald? I'd feel robbed paying for a ticket ........but as mentioned the numbers would stack up (but I can't see it) that's me personally my view :rolleyes:

As the man said, what does that have to do with McGregor vs Mendes?

This is the UFC 189 thread (again, why is this still open? Surely anything else of relevance should go on the McGregor thread?)

• Advertisement

As the man said, what does that have to do with McGregor vs Mendes?

This is the UFC 189 thread (again, why is this still open? Surely anything else of relevance should go on the McGregor thread?)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

I think if you've followed the UFC for any considerable time you can see, and understand, that the Irish stadium show is never going to happen. How long have they been talking about doing the dallas cowboys stadium? At least 6 years. A few years ago they said they were doing 3 stadium shows in one year in Brazil alone. They are forever spouting nonsense like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,430 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: Lads, this thread is for discussion of UFC 189. Any other discussion goes in the McGregor thread or in the General thread (whichever is more appropriate).
    Stay on topic and drop the ****e talk about women's mma and WWE please.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mod: Lads, this thread is for discussion of UFC 189. Any other discussion goes in the McGregor thread or in the General thread (whichever is more appropriate).
    Stay on topic and drop the ****e talk about women's mma and WWE please.

Exactly most of the women's fights are brilliant to be fair.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

A year to the day already.

What a night that was. Definitely my favourite night of UFC action ever. The emotions experienced that night were something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Depp

Paully D wrote: »
    A year to the day already.

What a night that was. Definitely my favourite night of UFC action ever. The emotions experienced that night were something else.

very close second to 196 for me in terms of favourites but was a great night/morning to be fair, won 25 quid on a scratchcard that morning aswel actually now i think of it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 219 ✭✭JinkyJackson

Imagine thinking that night, that he'd have knocked out Aldo in 13 seconds, lose to Nate Diaz at 170 and going for a rematch by next year. I didn't even think he'd get past chad :)

I'll never forget 189 through, was like an Italia 90 moment.. I still get the gawks thinking about Rory's nose

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

My pocket is still sore from that week in Vegas was amazing atmosphere though best sporting event I was ever at.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

My facebook memories is depressing me:( still paying it back, worth it

• Registered Users Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

but1er wrote: »
    My facebook memories is depressing me:( still paying it back, worth it

Stop. Between meeting Dos Anjos/Werdum/Pettis and ticking an item off the bucket list (fights in Vegas), today sucks major balls.

Especially given how shíte the weather is today.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,505 ✭✭✭but1er

That_Guy wrote: »
    Stop. Between meeting Dos Anjos/Werdum/Pettis and ticking an item off the bucket list (fights in Vegas), today sucks major balls.

Especially given how shíte the weather is today.

Getting too see 3 fight cards in Vegas, meeting the likes of bj Penn cm punk ben Rothwell, Faber just magic

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Exactly two years ago today. Still my favourite card ever and I don't think it will be topped any time soon. Great memories.

Went to this with my best mate. I remember the despair of the first round thinking that all the comments about a wrestler being his kryptonite might have been true. Then the roar of the crowd when he got back to his feet and the insane elation of that big left that dropped Mendes.

Epic.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,406 ✭✭✭XsApollo

It was the best night of his career so far , for me watching anyway.
    The atmosphere, even watching was unreal.
    A massive amount of Irish there too
    Could he , couldn't he.
    It wasn't a quick finish or a demotion job either.
    He was in trouble for a spell also, and was his biggest test to date I think.
    Yea you can say the Diaz fights were harder for him, but it was easy for him in the first and second rounds of those fights until he starts gassing, which causes his downfall.
    It was different vs Mendes ,the first and second rounds weren't easy, he was properly tested in them and was in trouble for a bit.

Anyway the highlight of his career for me so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

I was in San Francisco for the summer and myself and 3 mates rented an SUV, payed through the nose for tickets and drove to Vegas. Hands down, the best weekend of my life. Italia '90 moment for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭JoeyJJ

Unreal event to attend, my birthday then and now I'm two years older :( Already thinking of booking flights and hotel for International week next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Brilliant week, brilliant night. Was always on my bucket list to go to a big fight in Vegas and couldn't have gone to a better event.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

These was such a great event. Was only thinking about this during the week when one if the lads decided he's going to go the Vegas for his stag. It's a sign

usa-today-8691718.0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,881 ✭✭✭sc86

dont think no matter what he does the buzz of this night will be beat
    now you just expect great things

back then you still kinda had your doubts if he really was all we hoped

Advertisement