Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,510 ✭✭✭Hazys

Mellor wrote: »
    Early indicators/advance purchases are suggesting 189 did 700-1.1m buys on cable.
    That's not including buys from ufc.tv, youtube, console etc

How much cut of the $59 PPV is Conor getting?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Hazys wrote: »
    How much cut of the $59 PPV is Conor getting?

Can't find the original contract but some years ago Randy Couture had a dispute and his contract came out, he got paid $936,000 as his PPV cut for the Tim Silva fight, now Conor would probably be getting a higher percentage and it sold SHED loads more PPV's, i'm guessing he's getting north of $3million

Here's all i could find

http://articles.latimes.com/2007/oct/31/sports/sp-ufc31

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

Boxing MMA

Does the bigger the size mean more boring?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭PM me nudes

mdwexford wrote: »
    Does the bigger the size mean more boring?

I much prefer MMA, but boxing absolutely dwarfs it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Tony McGregor is on The MMA hour at around 7.25pm today...should be interesting...:pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,911 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Tony McGregor is on The MMA hour at around 7.25pm today...should be interesting...:pac:

i don't know if i wanna watch that or not :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

Tony McGregor

The first man to ever beat Conor McGregor, lol.

(Conor has talked about them getting physical over him wanting to pursue MMA until the first time Conor submitted him)

He's the definition of a proud father in fairness.

scudzilla wrote: »
    i don't know if i wanna watch that or not :confused:

Id say it'll be what he said in the documentaries anyway. I want to hear what he says about fighting Conor when he was younger. I heard him jokingly reply to someone that it was the wife and not him :pac:
    Panic E wrote: »
    The first man to ever beat Conor McGregor, lol.

(Conor has talked about them getting physical over him wanting to pursue MMA until the first time Conor submitted him)

He's the definition of a proud father in fairness.

Haha.

I saw that interview with Helwani when they walked around the o2. Great interview.

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭Panic E

I saw that interview with Helwani when they walked around the o2. Great interview.

That was a great interview and really shows his true character. Impossible not to like and respect the dude after that imo.

Conor has talked about it a few times, same here I would like to hear the da's version of events :) I just missed him there.

Panic E wrote: »
    That was a great interview and really shows his true character. Impossible not to like and respect the dude after that imo.

Conor has talked about it a few times, same here I would like to hear the da's version of events :) I just missed him there.

Yeah, much different than how he comes across now though unfortunately. Nice peak behind the curtain of The McGregor Show though.

Click watch live, you can just rewind it on the bar that comes up when you put your cursor on the video.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭Pulse8

Link to that anywhere?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,273 ✭✭✭EuskalHerria

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭ibrahimovic

Interesting in that Conor says him and his da had full on fist fights, but his dad on that phone chat earlier said it was always just verbal fights.

Interesting in that Conor says him and his da had full on fist fights, but his dad on that phone chat earlier said it was always just verbal fights.

I'd believe Conor tbh. I doubt Tony would be too keen on talking about having a fist fight with his 16 year old son (IIRC) while he was ill.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Tony was wearing rose tinted glasses at the time ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,101 ✭✭✭dickwod1

Good interview with Urijah

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Yeah watched that earlier. He actually came across as pretty sound in it.

I'd believe Conor tbh. I doubt Tony would be too keen on talking about having a fist fight with his 16 year old son (IIRC) while he was ill.
    dickwod1 wrote: »
    Tony was wearing rose tinted glasses at the time ;)

I think all taxi drivers get a free pair when they get their plates :D

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Uriah has some balls to talk about Conor being "full on delusional" with that sort of interview. Chad did not just get hit with one clean shot, and did not dominate the fight "from the start up to the stoppage"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

DeVore wrote: »
    Uriah has some balls to talk about Conor being "full on delusional" with that sort of interview. Chad did not just get hit with one clean shot, and did not dominate the fight "from the start up to the stoppage"

to be fair he's mates and in his camp of course he is going to say that. Just like connor will also say the fight went exactly how he wanted it too or something similar

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,145 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

DeVore wrote: »

He certainly dominated the majority of the second round and I would have thought would have won the first round too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

CatFromHue wrote: »
    He certainly dominated the majority of the second round and I would have thought would have won the first round too.

Why the first? Conor had him pinned to the cage for every moment they were standing. Chad managed a couple of takedowns, and a few elbows.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,732 ✭✭✭✭Pudsy33

Saipanne wrote: »
    Why the first? Conor had him pinned to the cage for every moment they were standing. Chad managed a couple of takedowns, and a few elbows.

Takedown are generally worth a lot more in the judges eyes than strikes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,724 ✭✭✭SureYWouldntYa

Pudsy33 wrote: »
    Takedown are generally worth a lot more in the judges eyes than strikes.

when you're ko'ing people, judges don't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

a few elbows that opened conor up. Visual damage. Judges eat it up

• Registered Users Posts: 39,107 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

CatFromHue wrote: »
    Sure, he may have controlled longish periods of the fight, but he got severely outstruck overall too. It's a bit much to suggest Conor only landed one clean shot at the end.
    He landed 74 compared to Mendes' 36 overall. He landed more total and significant strikes in individual rounds too.
    Nobody should he trying to take anything away from either fighter.
    It's stupid for Uriah, (or anyone), to try to tell us what happened- we seen the fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Won it on all 3 judges scorecards unless I'm mistaken.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

when you're ko'ing people, judges don't matter

Exactly, it doesn't really matter, I suppose. McGregor won. End of.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,885 ✭✭✭stephenl15

When watching it live, I gave the 1st round to Mendes. Probably thinking every little thing Chad did was bad for Conor he'll never get up, getting sucked in etc. But having watched it over I think the 1st round was definitely Conors. He destroyed him on the feet for the most part of the round.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,733 ✭✭✭ASOT

Yeah i would have scored it 1-1 myself, but then again it easily could have been 2-0.

Advertisement