Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UFC 189 - McGregor v Mendes *READ MOD WARNING IN 1st POST*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

Watching it back I gave the first round to Conor as he controlled more of the fight landed a lot more than I remembered, had it for Chad on first viewing.
    Second round was going to go to Chad until Conor got up and stopped him. Even if Herb let it go to the bell, does Mendes still win that round after being knocked down and nearly finished? I don't think he does, best case scenario for Chad was 9-9 in that one.

Judges might score it differently but that's how I saw it on second viewing, more relaxed and sober.

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭jjdonegal

Fromvert wrote: »
    Watching it back I gave the first round to Conor as he controlled more of the fight landed a lot more than I remembered, had it for Chad on first viewing.
    Second round was going to go to Chad until Conor got up and stopped him. Even if Herb let it go to the bell, does Mendes still win that round after being knocked down and nearly finished? I don't think he does, best case scenario for Chad was 9-9 in that one.

Judges might score it differently but that's how I saw it on second viewing, more relaxed and sober.

10 point must system as far as I know.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Fromvert wrote: »

As JJ says, it's a ten-point must system so it has to go at least 10-9 to one of them.

I completely agree with John Kavanagh regarding the need for the scoring of fights to be reviewed. It seems if you score a takedown at all you tend to win that round regardless of whatever else happens.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,683 ✭✭✭Subcomandante Marcos

I had Chad 10-9 in the first, take downs, a couple of big rights and ground control = he took the round but not by much, and a minimum of 10-8 in the second until the failed guillotine, if he had of just kept on the mat and dropping elbows and made it to the end of the round I had him 20-17 up. But like others have said, points don't matter if the match doesn't make it to the end of 5 rounds and Mendes was never going to make it to the end of 5 rounds with 2 weeks notice and only one day of sparing in the lead up.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Paully D wrote: »
    As JJ says, it's a ten-point must system so it has to go at least 10-9 to one of them.

I completely agree with John Kavanagh regarding the need for the scoring of fights to be reviewed. It seems if you score a takedown at all you tend to win that round regardless of whatever else happens.

This is not true anymore at all.

jjdonegal wrote: »
    10 point must system as far as I know.
    Paully D wrote: »

10-10 so but I don't think I can give it to either if it doesn't get stopped. Chad controlled and dominated most of the round but got cracked a few times, knocked down and would of been nearly finished if the round wasn't stopped.

I just don't buy the Chad was clearly ahead if it wasn't stopped line people are using.

I had Chad 10-9 in the first, take downs, a couple of big rights and ground control = he took the round but not by much, and a minimum of 10-8 in the second until the failed guillotine, if he had of just kept on the mat and dropping elbows and made it to the end of the round I had him 20-17 up. But like others have said, points don't matter if the match doesn't make it to the end of 5 rounds and Mendes was never going to make it to the end of 5 rounds with 2 weeks notice and only one day of sparing in the lead up.

I also had it 10-9 Mendes in the 1st and same 2nd up to the finish.
    I'd have to disagree with your 10-8 observation as McGregor was working sufficiently from the bottom and hit 4/5 crisp elbows that hurt Mendes. Personsally I only score 10-8s for clear domination and I personally would not classify that round as domination. Indeed in many people's eyes it was 50/50.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭Saipanne

All those punches to the head couldn't have helped, either....

A small point, I know.

To score a 10-8 you usually have to dominate completely, not sit in someone's guard and throw elbows. You pretty much need to have them on ice skates during the round. A lot of damage needs to be scored.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭JJayoo

jjdonegal wrote: »
    I also had it 10-9 Mendes in the 1st and same 2nd up to the finish.
    I'd have to disagree with your 10-8 observation as McGregor was working sufficiently from the bottom and hit 4/5 crisp elbows that hurt Mendes. Personsally I only score 10-8s for clear domination and I personally would not classify that round as domination. Indeed in many people's eyes it was 50/50.

:confused:

Conor was doing zero damage from the bottom, I mean when he was landing these "crisp elbows" Chad wasn't getting hurt he was actually complaining to the rep about them assuming they were 12-6 and illegal.

JJayoo wrote: »

Conor was doing zero damage from the bottom, I mean when he was landing these "crisp elbows" Chad wasn't getting hurt he was actually complaining to the rep about them assuming they were 12-6 and illegal.

Complaining wud indicate to me they were having an effect. I'd imagine having 4/5 elbows driven into your head will hurt somewhat.
    Never said he was doing damage; I said he was working sufficiently to avoid a 10-8 round.
    A 10-8 in my books is domination and in my opinion it wasn't a 10-8 but each to their own I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,876 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

There is no way, no matter how tinted your glasses are, that you could say those elbows were doing zero damage. It's just not possible.

He was also complaining that they were hitting the back of the head not that they were 12 - 6.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Easy Rod wrote: »
    There is no way, no matter how tinted your glasses are, that you could say those elbows were doing zero damage. It's just not possible.

He was also complaining that they were hitting the back of the head not that they were 12 - 6.

those elbows don't really hurt, they are just annoying tbh

those elbows don't really hurt, they are just annoying tbh

War Machine Vs. Jared Rollins.

Anyway, it's slightly off track, I was just agreeing with JJDonegal that there's no case for a 10-8. I probably had a 10-9 Mendes myself.

First of all he was complaining that they were the 12-6 elbows, 12- 6 elbows are illegal when they are moving with gravity and IMO those elbows weren't doing any sort or accumulative damage, also how would it even be possible for Conor to land elbows to the back of Chad's head in that position :confused:

I'm sure they were sore, but the amount of force you can generate from that position and with that distance is minuscule to the force you can deliver when you create space on top. Of the top of my head I can only think of one instance of a knockout from the bottom = Uriah Hall on TUF but I am sure there are more out there. To hear people say the exchange on the ground was equal is ridiculous

Plus If they were badly hurting Chad his first response would be to defend them either through blocking or closing the distance it certainly wouldn't be to start talking to the ref.

War Machine Vs. Jared Rollins.

Anyway, it's slightly off track, I was just agreeing with JJDonegal that there's no case for a 10-8. I probably had a 10-9 Mendes myself.

Oh well I agree with ye then, I may not have read the other posts properly :o, I thought ye were saying that both fighters had inflicted equal damage while on the ground.

Annually even more off topic I always thought that Condit actually did a lot of damage to GSP off his back, especially when all it can take is one cut over the eye to end a fight

First of all he was complaining that they were the 12-6 elbows, 12- 6 elbows are illegal when they are moving with gravity and IMO those elbows weren't doing any sort or accumulative damage, also how would it even be possible for Conor to land elbows to the back of Chad's head in that position :confused:

I'm sure they were sore, but the amount of force you can generate from that position and with that distance is minuscule to the force you can deliver when you create space on top. Of the top of my head I can only think of one instance of a knockout from the bottom = Uriah Hall on TUF but I am sure there are more out there. To hear people say the exchange on the ground was equal is ridiculous

Plus If they were badly hurting Chad his first response would be to defend them either through blocking or closing the distance it certainly wouldn't be to start talking to the ref.

I actually thought this when I first watched it but upon rewatching you can see what Chad is complaining about - he thinks it's the 'back of his head' (As in the Ref's definition of back of the head not the literal definition as we view it i.e.Illegal_Striking_Zones_PIC_large_medium.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 39,106 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Rounds are scored at the end of the round, its impossible for Chad to be given the 2nd round if we are talking about the actual fight.

Hypothetically, if it wasn't stopped and McGregor stood over him for 4 more seconds landing 6-8 more strikes. There's no way McGregor doesn't get the 2nd round imo, based on landing way more strikes, stuffing the takesdown, and near finish.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,274 ✭✭✭✭mdwexford

First round was close, viewing it drunk I thought it was defo Chads. On more viewings it's closer and probably Conor's but could go either way, especially with some of the judging that goes on.

Second was obviously Chads till the sub attempt, as Mellor says it's impossible to score after seeing what happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,737 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

This has to be the biggest mma thread ever on boards. It's only 3 weeks old and has over 3,000 posts. The offical conor thread is 2 years old and just has over 5,000

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    This has to be the biggest mma thread ever on boards. It's only 3 weeks old and has over 3,000 posts. The offical conor thread is 2 years old and just has over 5,000

It's all the blow-in's. Like me. This the only MMA thread I've ever posted in.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Everyone starts somewhere...

Remember, when I first came here all this was just 0's there were no 1's at all. </GrampaSimpson>

• Registered Users Posts: 6,582 ✭✭✭Swashbuckler

Just read an article on MMA Junkie about the PPV buys for the event. UFC.com are reporting 1 million buys for the event on McGregors biography.

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/conor-McGregor

Do we believe the hype machine?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

Just read an article on MMA Junkie about the PPV buys for the event. UFC.com are reporting 1 million buys for the event on McGregors biography.

http://www.ufc.com/fighter/conor-McGregor

Do we believe the hype machine?

Na I don't. I think they did very well but didn't hit a million. Why release a figure like 1 million anyway? give the exact figure if you want to be believed. Saying they hit a million is just too convenient PR wise without any actual figures. Now you will hear it out of Conors mouth all the time, it is all just too convenient IMO.

Davei141 wrote: »
    Na I don't. I think they did very well but didn't hit a million. Why release a figure like 1 million anyway? give the exact figure if you want to be believed. Saying they hit a million is just too convenient PR wise without any actual figures. Now you will hear it out of Conors mouth all the time, it is all just too convenient IMO.
    It probably means somewhere between 950k and 1.05m I'd imagine.

Not too fussed if they're rounding up really.

What does "Chad went from 48/48 into half a rock flat" mean?

https://twitter.com/TheNotoriousMMA/status/624682070627893248?lang=en-gb

• Registered Users Posts: 20,553 ✭✭✭✭Dempsey

Half a million. No wonder he turned up with only 2 weeks training under his belt! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 21,352 ✭✭✭✭martyos121

The 48/48 means he earned $48k appearance and $48k win bonus for the Lamas fight. The "half a rock flat" is half a million.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Video of John Kavanagh and McGregor rolling back in 2013. Anyone recognise the escape? :D

https://www.facebook.com/330004463766331/videos/679399102160197/

Advertisement