Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

STB. wrote: »

Thanks a mill for the link !

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

No worries man..... Up the Dubs! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,305 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Great response to the Dublin goal!

No worries man..... Up the Dubs! :)

I lost the link with 5 mins to go, any updates ?

pat 22 wrote: »

Feck off! Yis won.

I think we Dubs were robbed. Great game though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Kkboy

Good win against a physically stronger team, and skillful team. Kilkenny not all that big physically which will cause them problems in the future

Feck off! Yis won.

Oh that's great! Were ye robbed? Or was it a good come back? I did lose the link,

Kkboy wrote: »
    Good win against a physically stronger team, and skillful team. Kilkenny not all that big physically which will cause them problems in the future

I was saying that to a friend, they always have big string physical lads.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,508 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Feck off! Yis won.

Not sure robbed is the word! Very unlucky for the keeper to lose the ball like that in the sun but Kilkenny were pushing hard for the draw at that stage having come back from 6 points down.
    I love the extra intensity from the sides when there's no back door. Only negative was the big wide tally from both sides, 14 each!

Oh that's great! Were ye robbed? Or was it a good come back? I did lose the link,

The 4th goal was well placed in the top corner. Sean Brennan had a fantastic game in goal for the Dubs was unfortunate... creamed himself between the post trying to catch it with his hurl and his hand.

And that was the difference.

Cian Boland got man of the match and said the low sun was a factor.

• Advertisement

Not sure robbed is the word! Very unlucky for the keeper to lose the ball like that in the sun but Kilkenny were pushing hard for the draw at that stage having come back from 6 points down.
    I love the extra intensity from the sides when there's no back door. Only negative was the big wide tally from both sides, 14 each!

It was end to end for an u21 game.... alright. Dubs made some mad decisions. In the end I feel that they threw it away, but hey there is always next year :(

The 4th goal was well placed in the top corner. Sean Brennan had a fantastic game in goal for the Dubs was unfortunate... creamed himself between the post trying to catch it with his hurl and his hand.

And that was the difference.

Cian Boland got man of the match and said the low sun was a factor.

Small margins win these games, similar thing happened us against Wexford few yrs ago.

Small margins win these games, similar thing happened us against Wexford few yrs ago.

I'd reckon you'll be seeing them again come 8th July. Conor McDonald is playing out of skin at the moment.

I'd reckon you'll be seeing them again come 8th July. Conor McDonald is playing out of skin at the moment.

He's a good player no doubt, future looks very exciting for Leinster hurling !

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

I thought the Dubs should have been further ahead at half time to be honest. They played all the hurling and won loads of breaks and got the 50/50's but the Cats hung in there.
    Mistake by keeper at the end but KK were pushing for the draw regardless. If Dublin had scored their penalty it wouldn't pushed it out a good bit and would've been hard to comeback at that stage. Both teams hit a lot of wides though and I suppose that's the way it is on the first day out. It'll bring KK on a lot and they can push on from here.

Lineman on standside got a bad whack to the head by accident by dusted himself down and got on with it. He'll have a sore head in the morning!!

One question I have is why KK were not wearing the new style jerseys? Anybody know why?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Agree, and Liam Ryan at the other end is another excellent hurler but thought tonight was the defining game in the province. I said before tonight i fancied the winners to get to the All-Ireland final, think Kilkenny will only improve. Nine of tonights starting team are under age next year and five of them have another two years in the grade.

One question I have is why KK were not wearing the new style jerseys? Anybody know why?

I was wondering that myself. The jerseys looked a bit baggy... Maybe they are the senior jerseys from last year :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

I was wondering that myself. The jerseys looked a bit baggy... Maybe they are the senior jerseys from last year :pac:

Probably trying to discourage a jersey swap!

Good win tonight. To be outmuscled and behind for all the game and still win is a great achievement. Last goal was fortuitous but there was very little in it at that stage in any case. In fairness the ref gave the dubs everything after that goal to bring them back in.
    Thought the full back line held up well. Cody after a dodgy start was solidish, ably supported by Cleere and Deegan. Mansfield and Ryan held their own in midfield trying to contain a manic Boland. Disappointed with Blanchfield, made little impression. Maher popped up for a few scores including a crucial goal. Impressed with Brennan, very similar style and shape to Richie Hogan. Out of the full forward line thought Bolger stood out but was probably too quick to pass at times.
    Not sure how far this team will go but at least they've exceeded last years effort.
    Delighted for Brian Ryan. Must've been under pressure after last year. Gentleman who does trojan work and was no mean hurler in his day.

• Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Fantastic win indeed - under the radar. I expect to see us win it out this year. We have the hurlers to do it. The back door makes it really tough but we have the men who don't lie down.

We will improve as we go along. To beat Dublin in their own back yard was some achievement.

• Advertisement

unrealtime wrote: »
    Fantastic win indeed - under the radar. I expect to see us win it out this year. We have the hurlers to do it. The back door makes it really tough but we have the men who don't lie down.

We will improve as we go along. To beat Dublin in their own back yard was some achievement.

What back door? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 962 ✭✭✭amber69

What back door? :confused:

Presume he means the lack of one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

Would be surprised if there's not one better than Kilkenny this year, even though yell improve for the game. Between leaking a dodgy goal, the penalty miss and the bad wides Dublin had first half (I know both teams had 14 wides but Dublin seemed to have more scoreable opportunities wasted) they should have won. I'd say they were unlucky to some degree but at the same time 2/3 things that cost them were their own fault.

Kilkenny had some good performances, are any of Bolger, Brennan and Deegan underage again next year?

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

Would be surprised if there's not one better than Kilkenny this year, even though yell improve for the game. Between leaking a dodgy goal, the penalty miss and the bad wides Dublin had first half (I know both teams had 14 wides but Dublin seemed to have more scoreable opportunities wasted) they should have won. I'd say they were unlucky to some degree but at the same time 2/3 things that cost them were their own fault.

Kilkenny had some good performances, are any of Bolger, Brennan and Deegan underage again next year?

Bolger is definitely overage, don't know about Brennan, i stand to be corrected on this but i think Deegan was a Minor last year.
    I would expect us to win out Leinster and with the winners due to meet Ulster an All-Ireland is an achievable goal. There looks to be a number of very strong teams in Munster but with there being no back door we will only have to play one of them at the most.

Bolger is definitely overage, don't know about Brennan, i stand to be corrected on this but i think Deegan was a Minor last year.
    I would expect us to win out Leinster and with the winners due to meet Ulster an All-Ireland is an achievable goal. There looks to be a number of very strong teams in Munster but with there being no back door we will only have to play one of them at the most.

Was impressed by Deegan, think he was done by the ref in the first half. That's true but then that hasn't aided Wexford all that much in the past two years or Dublin in 2011. Yell need to improve but then that's not beyond the bounds of possibility either.

Brennan was the minor goalie last year. Deegan was overage minor last year but is U21 again next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Unsure which Brennan you mean so Ill presume its Willie Brennan who is overage next year too along with Bolger but Deegan will have another year U21. He wasnt Minor last year, he was up to the age the year before when our Minor team lost to Waterford in an All Ireland Semi Final

Darren Brennan meanwhile was Minor last year so he'll have another 2 years on the goal

Kilkenny mightn't be the best team in it but I fully expect them to beat Carlow and face Wexford in the final. By my count Wexford have approx. 8 off last years AI team eligible this year. Kilkenny only have a handful from the team that lost to Wexford last year. If Kilkenny get over Wexford they'll face the Ulster champions in the AI semi. Might sound arrogant but Kilkenny have one more tough match to reach the AI final.

citykat wrote: »
    Kilkenny mightn't be the best team in it but I fully expect them to beat Carlow and face Wexford in the final. By my count Wexford have approx. 8 off last years AI team eligible this year. Kilkenny only have a handful from the team that lost to Wexford last year. If Kilkenny get over Wexford they'll face the Ulster champions in the AI semi. Might sound arrogant but Kilkenny have one more tough match to reach the AI final.

Yeah fair points. And when you're in a final you could easily win it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,276 ✭✭✭thinkstoomuch1

Yeah fair points. And when you're in a final you could easily win it.

Kk are the exception to the rule of one swallow never makes a summer as while other counties make a lot of noise and unjustified hype most kk teams afyee a win actually gain momentum and evolve and adapt

Kilkenny were not great last night but they had an awesome hunger intent raw desire want and they were never beaten and that win with a very young team means once the leaving is over they will thrive v wexford as under dog like the minors last year and some teams win odd game here and there and think there going to be good however kk actually at most levels have this wonderful instinct to know last night like at most levels they weren't great abs guaranteed they will improve again and if beat wexford but jj Doyle is wonderful coach of them as proved wexford camoige team be tough if kilkenny get to a final they will be a tough opponent
    Most important thing last night is kilkenny showed at least imo four senior players and cody awesome sustained excellence of improving players means kilkenny will as only they do reinvent themselves again as the hunger and desire and will to win a game they look destined to loose show they have the raw ingredients cody craves and demands in he's players and have no doubt they will improve as times goes on
    When you think kilkenny hurling you think imo of one of the key evolutionists of hurling and as cork man as much as it galls me to say it you can't but not respect and admire and acknowledge their hurling culture but above all their attuide to it
    Their attuide defines their legacy and their attuide in last night's game was simply outstanding for young men against a Dublin under twenty one side who were more mature in some lads played minor final three years ago where as kk minors next year be their peak

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement