Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Powerhouse1

Why can't a Kilkenny Referee make it on to the elite Inter County Panel? Is it down to not having quality Refs in Kilkenny? Seems that Westmeath have one of the better records of producing top Referees.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Why can't a Kilkenny Referee make it on to the elite Inter County Panel? Is it down to not having quality Refs in Kilkenny? Seems that Westmeath have one of the better records of producing top Referees.

I cant name any top referees from Westmeath anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    [/B]

I cant name any top referees from Westmeath anyway

Careful, Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Did you happen to take in any Kilkenny club games locally of late. The standard of reffing is absolutely scandalous to say the least. Maybe 2 decent referee's in Kilkenny at a stretch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Did you happen to take in any Kilkenny club games locally of late. The standard of reffing is absolutely scandalous to say the least. Maybe 2 decent referee's in Kilkenny at a stretch.

I thought Maurice Flynn was atrocious in the Rower V Mvat game last weekend. Some awful decisions and stupid frees awarded rather evenly to both sides including the Rowers winning score which came from yet another questionable free. It was a terrible performance from him

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 364 ✭✭unrealtime

Think that is a very good under-21 team and I expect them to win tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

unrealtime wrote: »

I think Dublin beat them at Minor level 3 years ago, home advantage too. Hope for the best

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

AFAIR Pascal Long is the most recent high profile referee we have had and it must be over 25 yrs since he has officiated at a high level. Our record in providing referees is poor given our profile in the game. From what I have seen at local level it's going to be a while before we see a Kilkenny referee in charge of a high profile inter county game.

Anyone here know much about the under 21 team.

Darren Brennan (St. Lachtains)

2. Conor Delaney (Erin’s Own)

3. Cíaran Wallace (Erin’s Own)

4. Evan Cody (Dicksboro) (Capt.)

5. Jason Cleere (Bennettstbridge)

6. Diarmuid Cody (James Stephens)

7. Paddy Deegan (O’Loughlin/Gaels)

8. James Maher (St. Lachtains)

9. Mark Mansfield (Mullinavat)

10. Cíaran Ryan (Rower/Inistioge)

11. Willie Brennan (Fenians)

12. Liam Blanchfield (Bennettsbridge)

13. Liam Hickey (St.Lachtains)

14. Conor Martin (Emeralds)

15. Chris Bolger (Clara)

16. Alan Murphy (Glenmore)

17. Brian Troy (Emeralds)

18. Enda Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)

19. Huw Lawler (O’Loughlin/Gaels)

20. Luke Scanlon (James Stephens)

21. Tom Phelan (Conahy Shamrocks)

22. David Burke (O’Loughlin/Gaels)

23. Niall Mullins (James Stephens)

24. Séan Morrissey (Bennettsbridge)

I wouldn't have any fear for this team from a hurling ability point of view as they're all playing senior/intermediate with their clubs. The only issue is how well they gel/play together. There's very few of these lads involved with the senior panel (AFAIK) at the moment. This should be a plus as it can be a distraction.

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

It's a very "young" under 21 side by my count at least nine of the starting 15 are underage again next year, don't know about Brennan and Hickey. Five of the starters have another two years in this grade. Would be fearful about tomorrow night, 5 of the Dublin team were part of the 24 for the seniors on Sunday. But if we could get through tomorrow night it would open everything up and i would expect us to at least make an All-Ireland final.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭junospider

Who ever organised this fixture is some genius,some of these lads are starting the leaving cert tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    I thought Maurice Flynn was atrocious in the Rower V Mvat game last weekend. Some awful decisions and stupid frees awarded rather evenly to both sides including the Rowers winning score which came from yet another questionable free. It was a terrible performance from him

Flynns handling of the Village & Ballyhale drawn County Final a few years back was one of the worst refereeing displays i've ever had the misfortune to witness.

On a broader note, if John Walsh is still refereeing Senior Club games in this county, then I think that says it all really about the standard that's out there.

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

I'd be of the opposite opinion actually, I think Dublin will win this.

junospider wrote: »
    Who ever organised this fixture is some genius,some of these lads are starting the leaving cert tomorrow.

Surely that is down to the individuals, their parents and the management team. The Leinster council can't provide for every possible eventuality, the Minor is put on hold for 6 weeks because more players are likely to be effected in that grade. Under 21's doing their Leaving would be the exception rather than the rule.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭Mountainlad

I think there was a Cleere lad reffing games there a few years ago, may only have been Minor matches though.

I think there was a Cleere lad reffing games there a few years ago, may only have been Minor matches though.

He was the sideline official who reported Pat Donnellan for striking with the hurl in the Clare-Limerick game.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,938 ✭✭✭dzer2

Yeah he reffed the minor final a few yrs back think it was the won with the dodgy point.

junospider wrote: »

Most of the lads impacted are on the bench as far as I can see?

citykat wrote: »
    Most of the lads impacted are on the bench as far as I can see?

Cleere and Blanchfield are doing it.... hardly makes a difference whether they are playing or not unless they were planning on getting a bit of study done on the bench!

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭WhatsGoingOn2

Cleere and Blanchfield are doing it.... hardly makes a difference whether they are playing or not unless they were planning on getting a bit of study done on the bench!
    Delaney is doing it too

• Advertisement

I presumed the original concern was regarding potential for injury rather than study. An evening away from the books at this stage aint going to make much of a difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,264 ✭✭✭✭Fireball07

Last year Cian Lynch played an U-21 game the night of his first exam, with Dean Coleman coming on as a sub iirc. Most players doing the Leaving opt out of the squad if they have a match around the Leaving. I think it is a decision that it is up to the player himself- personally, I would have loved nothing more than playing a match the evening after my first exam but others are different.

Although maybe it could be delayed, the rest of the provincial games are played within a couple of weeks at the end of July, surely they could fit this in at the end of June or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

According to the Indo, Chris Bolger, Brian Troy, Diarmuid Cody and Conor Martin are part of the senior panel.

According to the Indo, Chris Bolger, Brian Troy, Diarmuid Cody and Conor Martin are part of the senior panel.

As far as I know bar Bolger, the rest are part of the extended panel i.e. making up numbers in training. Lot of people though reckon Cody will make matchday panel(s) this year.

And Troy can't make the team? Which surprises me, i was impressed by him the few times i saw him hurling with UL in the spring.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

Any reports from the u 21 game tonight ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Brian017

pat 22 wrote: »

It's live on the box. Dublin lead 1-8 to 1-6 at HT. We should be further behind tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

Dublin 1-8 Kilkenny 1-6. Half time. Dubs should be miles ahead. TG4

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭pat 22

I'm out of the country, unfortunately won't see it !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

I'm out of the country, unfortunately won't see it !

They dont geoblock it http://www.tg4.tv/beo.html

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement