Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

I'd expect our goalie and six backs to pick themselves with fogarty and fennelly midfield.the 6 fowards will be something like walter richie tj larkin colin aylward the rumour is larkin is to start which will suprise a lot of people,the other corner is also up for grabs but aylward is apparently going well the last few weeks so could shade it either way I'm looking foward to good match and Great atmosphere

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

The Wexford team has been named. There two changes to the starting 15 from the match against Westmeath. Harry Kehoe moves to the bench, and of course Jack Guiney has been axed. Ciaran Kenny and Shane Tomkins take their places.

1. Mark Fanning (Glynn Barntown)
    2. Liam Ryan (Rapparees)
    3. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James’)
    4. Eoin Moore (Oulart the Ballagh)
    5. Andrew Shore (Davidstown/Courtnacuddy)
    6. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers)
    7. Ciaran Kenny (Buffers Alley)
    8. David Redmond (Oulart the Ballagh)
    9. Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Annes)
    10. Shane Tomkins (Askamore/Kilrush)
    11. Daithi Waters (St Martin’s)
    12. Ian Byrne (Ferns St Aidan’s)
    13. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidan’s)
    14. Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna)
    15. Liam Og McGovern (St Annes)

Interestingly, Jack Guiney scored 4-5 (4-4 from play) for his club Rathnure against Ferns St Aidans in a Division 1 League fixture last night.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭BQQ

The Wexford team has been named. There two changes to the starting 15 from the match against Westmeath. Harry Kehoe moves to the bench, and of course Jack Guiney has been axed. Ciaran Kenny and Shane Tomkins take their places.

1. Mark Fanning (Glynn Barntown)
    2. Liam Ryan (Rapparees)
    3. Matthew O’Hanlon (St James’)
    4. Eoin Moore (Oulart the Ballagh)
    5. Andrew Shore (Davidstown/Courtnacuddy)
    6. Lee Chin (Faythe Harriers)
    7. Ciaran Kenny (Buffers Alley)
    8. David Redmond (Oulart the Ballagh)
    9. Diarmuid O’Keeffe (St Annes)
    10. Shane Tomkins (Askamore/Kilrush)
    11. Daithi Waters (St Martin’s)
    12. Ian Byrne (Ferns St Aidan’s)
    13. Paul Morris (Ferns St Aidan’s)
    14. Conor McDonald (Naomh Eanna)
    15. Liam Og McGovern (St Annes)

Interestingly, Jack Guiney scored 4-5 (4-4 from play) for his club Rathnure against Ferns St Aidans in a Division 1 League fixture last night.

Wexford can't afford to be dropping players like Jack Guiney.
    Discipline is important, but I think the likes of Dunne and davy fitz take it too far.
    They're amateurs at the end of the day. Surely there's something other than the nuclear option available.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

BQQ wrote: »
    Discipline is important, but I think the likes of Dunne and davy fitz take it too far.
    They're amateurs at the end of the day. Surely there's something other than the nuclear option available.

I doubt Cody would do any different. I know it's gone ridiculous at this stage but if you buy into it you buy into it and you can't get an exception because you're good, if discipline is to have any credibility at all. From what I've heard it was the players themselves who wanted the code if discipline to be enforced. I can see why, if you are sacrificing everything, and then you see or feel like someone else isn't doing the same, it can create resentment. Dunne must have felt that that belief and honesty was more important than guiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,046 ✭✭✭BQQ

I doubt Cody would do any different. I know it's gone ridiculous at this stage but if you buy into it you buy into it and you can't get an exception because you're good, if discipline is to have any credibility at all. From what I've heard it was the players themselves who wanted the code if discipline to be enforced. I can see why, if you are sacrificing everything, and then you see or feel like someone else isn't doing the same, it can create resentment. Dunne must have felt that that belief and honesty was more important than guiney.

For sure. I just think there must be something less drastic than dropping from the panel that could be done instead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 260 ✭✭Nedflanders02

BQQ wrote: »

Listening to an interview Liam Dunne did during the week, it seems that as well as breaking the rules there may have been a bit of an attitude problem, I'd say there's more to it than just going out for a few drinks!!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kkid

Agreed Larkin will start. Wouldn’t be overly impressed with Wexford Half Back line and Half forward line. Think we could get some dividends from their half back line, would much prefer to see Colin Richie and TJ in half forward line but doubt Kevin Kelly will start ahead of Walter.

With regards to Guiney, I had heard before this happened he was away for the summer to the US, had told Dunne that he wanted a summer off and that Dunne is thick over that.

Think the minor match will be a tight one, Wexford beat Laois by 2 and we only got over Wexford by 1 after extra time. Clear indication that this will be a dogfight, IMO I just hope their bigger players stand up and be counted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭deadybai

If that happened with Cody, I'd doubt we would ever hear of the player again :pac: .

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I just think if it happened in the Kilkenny camp we wouldn't hear about it at all, it would be dealt with in house. You wouldn't have Cody making statements similar to what Liam Dunne has Dunne (Sorry).

Interesting interview with Eoin Kelly on second Captains and how he said he'd deal with it, basically dropping the player but leaving him on the bench and saying to him that he'd let people down etc and expecting a big performance if and when he is brought on.

As said above the nuclear option should be a last resort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

adrian522 wrote: »
    I just think if it happened in the Kilkenny camp we wouldn't hear about it at all, it would be dealt with in house. You wouldn't have Cody making statements similar to what Liam Dunne has Dunne (Sorry).

Interesting interview with Eoin Kelly on second Captains and how he said he'd deal with it, basically dropping the player but leaving him on the bench and saying to him that he'd let people down etc and expecting a big performance if and when he is brought on.

As said above the nuclear option should be a last resort.

Yeah that sort of thing should be dealt with in-house. You wouldn't see that happening with Cody. Guiney is exactly what Wexford need to trouble Kilkenny and he'll be a big miss but rumours are that this has been coming for a while.

I would have done what Eoin Kelly said but I suppose that's easier said than done from outside the camp. I can't imagine the other lads were impressed with him but I think dropping him off the panel completely is really a last resort option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

I agree there may be more to it than one incident but who knows?
    Actually is he anything to rod guiney? Hurled in the 90s, think he was a defender. I remember a red haired lad when I was a young chap

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Actually is he anything to rod guiney? Hurled in the 90s, think he was a defender. I remember a red haired lad when I was a young chap

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,446 ✭✭✭glued

He's a nephew of Rod Guiney.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

Kilkenny team vs Wexford

E Murphy

P Murphy, J Holden, J Tyrrell

P Walsh, K Joyce, C Buckley

M Fennelly, C Fogarty

W Walsh, R Hogan, TJ Reid

G Aylward, C Fennelly, E Larkin

Subs: R Reid, S Prendergast, M Walsh, R Lennon, B Kennedy, J Lyng, J Power, M Ruth, M Kelly, K Kelly, JJ Farrell

Team Supplied by Kilkenny GAA Supporters Club

Strong team, decent bench at the least.

Will be looking to see how Aylward goes up front and how Holden goes on McDonald above anything else. If they are solid, could be a good omen for the summer.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,101 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

I think the season will hinge on how we manage at full back. Looks a good team, Hopefully Walter can up his game a bit as he has been poor enough last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭savannahkat

4 changes on minor, out Ryan Bergin, Conor Hennessy, Ross Butler and Robbie Murphy =3 of them in the starting six forwards last day. In Darren Mullen, T O 'Dwyer, Joe Cuddihy, and Niall Walsh, the last 3 forming on entirely new full forward line. Looks like a much more balanced side

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

randd1 wrote: »

Will be looking to see how Aylward goes up front and how Holden goes on McDonald above anything else. If they are solid, could be a good omen for the summer.

Yeah good chance for both. I'll be curious to see how Mick Fennelly goes. According to reports earlier in the week he's so crocked he can't bend over properly, can't run etc. Maybe whatever it is has cleared up. He did though play against Offaly last year and was then out until the Limerick game. Bar Richie & John Power that's more or less our strongest 15.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

4 changes on minor, out Ryan Bergin, Conor Hennessy, Ross Butler and Robbie Murphy =3 of them in the starting six forwards last day. In Darren Mullen, T O 'Dwyer, Joe Cuddihy, and Niall Walsh, the last 3 forming on entirely new full forward line. Looks like a much more balanced side

Good to see Darren Mullen back. He's missed out on an awful lot of hurling including two All Irelands.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,874 ✭✭✭blackcard

blackcard wrote: »
    Is Ger Aylward fit? I think he might be worth a run in the full forward line

Good to see you are reading Boards, Brian

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭J DEERE

Is the game Being televised?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

J DEERE wrote: »
    Is the game Being televised?

RTE 2, 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Buck Melanoma

randd1 wrote: »
    Kilkenny team vs Wexford

E Murphy

P Murphy, J Holden, J Tyrrell

P Walsh, K Joyce, C Buckley

M Fennelly, C Fogarty

W Walsh, R Hogan, TJ Reid

G Aylward, C Fennelly, E Larkin

Subs: R Reid, S Prendergast, M Walsh, R Lennon, B Kennedy, J Lyng, J Power, M Ruth, M Kelly, K Kelly, JJ Farrell

Team Supplied by Kilkenny GAA Supporters Club

Strong team, decent bench at the least.

Is Lester Ryan injured or dropped from match day panel?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭letowski

Looking forward to seeing how Alyward gets on alright. We got to see him a few times against Clare at minor, U21 and senior (league '13) and he played very well scoring goals every time. I think he could be a good player for ye if he can find his feet at this level.

Strong looking side I have to say. I think ye've a smashing pair of wing backs and a good scoring threat in the middle. The big question I think for KK is how Holden and Joyce will fair at the spine of the backline. I think it's fair to say Cody has had better players before in those positions, but Holden and Joyce have good potential. The are some very strong 11&14 combinations in the country thou so it'll be interesting to see how they get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

brookville wrote: »
    I'd expect our goalie and six backs to pick themselves with fogarty and fennelly midfield.the 6 fowards will be something like walter richie tj larkin colin aylward the rumour is larkin is to start which will suprise a lot of people,the other corner is also up for grabs but aylward is apparently going well the last few weeks so could shade it either way I'm looking foward to good match and Great atmosphere
    Team pretty much expected it's probably the best we have.lester is injured is rice also injured?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

brookville wrote: »
    Team pretty much expected it's probably the best we have.lester is injured is rice also injured?
    Met Rice last week and he was fine but admitted himself he's off the pace with his fitness and match time another few weeks/month he might be pushing for a starting spot if he regains his form.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

British Junior Football Semi-Final Result Kilkenny 1-16 Gloucestershire 0-1. Kilkenny play winners of London v Scotland in British Final.

KevIRL wrote: »
    British Junior Football Semi-Final Result Kilkenny 1-16 Gloucestershire 0-1. Kilkenny play winners of London v Scotland in British Final.

Football fever is about to take over in Kilkenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,508 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Football fever is about to take over in Kilkenny.

If Scotland win the other semi final, ye will be up against an entire country!

They may take our lives, but they'll never take our football.

Seriously, we only have the one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭Topcat32

I played minor football against Scotland who where basically made up of 3 club teams from the same housing estate in Glasgow. Also played against New York who we beat by a point twice, the second time with a last minute goal from Adam Holden from Castlecomer who was an excellent footballer.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement