Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

Great to see rice come through the match today.He had a good first half and got a good point before fading in the second half,The moving of buckley to midfield in the second half gave the boro more life,both teams had a couple of chances near the end but draw probaly a fair result.

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Any word on how the senior panel is shaping up these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,704 ✭✭✭citykat

brookville wrote: »
    Great to see rice come through the match today.He had a good first half and got a good point before fading in the second half,The moving of buckley to midfield in the second half gave the boro more life,both teams had a couple of chances near the end but draw probaly a fair result.

From what I saw, Rice is a long way off IC hurling. Faded badly in the second half bar one good ball which yielded a score. Buckley wasn't able for Power in the first half but was a different animal when moved into the forwards in the second half. Definitely got the forward line motoring with his energy. Thought Gough held Power well in that second half. Boro shot 20 wides compared to Shocks 11. Draw was a fair result but if the Boro had've been more clinical and maybe converted 1/2 of their goal chances, they would've taken all the points. Saw Richie Power was listed in the subs but never made an appearance. Didn't see him at half time or in the 'dugout'.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,831 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Some game of two halves if ever there was one. Boro were awful in the first half and should have been bet out of it at that stage. Gaffneys shooting kind of summed it up for me at that point, they were sluggish, no sharpness, no urgency, no accuracy. The goal conceded at the back was from fairly basic error. Then in the second half it was a different team. Ok Buckley moved, and was better, but Gaffney started doing all manner of good work, Flynn came into it way more, they were suddenly full of energy and innovation and creativity. Fantastic performance and nearly got a win, but took far too long to get out of the traps at the start. Carrickshock seemed to get points much easier. I thought rice did very well, although hard to see him displacing anyone from the county team at this point.

Some game of two halves if ever there was one. Boro were awful in the first half and should have been bet out of it at that stage. Gaffneys shooting kind of summed it up for me at that point, they were sluggish, no sharpness, no urgency, no accuracy. The goal conceded at the back was from fairly basic error. Then in the second half it was a different team. Ok Buckley moved, and was better, but Gaffney started doing all manner of good work, Flynn came into it way more, they were suddenly full of energy and innovation and creativity. Fantastic performance and nearly got a win, but took far too long to get out of the traps at the start. Carrickshock seemed to get points much easier. I thought rice did very well, although hard to see him displacing anyone from the county team at this point.

I forgot to mention Eddie O'Donoghue earlier. He took several heavy shots in that first half but soldiered on and got some crucial scores in that second half recovery. Still a key man for the Boro.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 thetruthkk

Was anyone at the graigue ballycallan and tullaroan match yesterday heard it was poor

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭Deathwish4

thetruthkk wrote: »
    Was anyone at the graigue ballycallan and tullaroan match yesterday heard it was poor

I thought it was a great match, as a neutral. Plenty of excitement, loose pulls and good scores.

Various Walshs (Particularly Tommy) were outstanding for Tullaroan who deserved their win. Ballycallans goal was slightly fortuitous (A looping shot deceived Richie Butler), but Tullaroan responded shortly after with a well taken goal from Martin Walsh. Tullaroan were smaller in stature than Ballycallan, but had that bit more pace in attack so picked off some nice points from play.

Definitely one of the better matches i've attended this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,015 ✭✭✭maximo31

Any word on how the senior panel is shaping up these days?

I hear there is going to be another big name retirement shortly. Can't say anymore for now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭robwen

maximo31 wrote: »
    I hear there is going to be another big name retirement shortly. Can't say anymore for now.

2 different stories doing the rounds the weekend about Village & Shocks players

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Retirements or dropped? Who are the players?

• Advertisement

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Retirements or dropped? Who are the players?

The rumour I heard is a retirement but I wouldn't want to say the name because if it is incorrect it would be very unfair. Didn't hear anything about someone being dropped.

• Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭Miall108

The rumour I heard is a retirement but I wouldn't want to say the name because if it is incorrect it would be very unfair. Didn't hear anything about someone being dropped.

Richie Power perhaps?

Miall108 wrote: »
    Richie Power perhaps?

That wasn't the name I heard, although Richie didn't play at the weekend.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

That wasn't the name I heard, although Richie didn't play at the weekend.

The only one Id think of would be Rice. Id be very surprised/shocked for all the world if it was anybody else

Considering Richies injury issues, he wouldnt be too surprising either. Similarly with Rice

• Registered Users Posts: 1,613 ✭✭✭me89

robwen wrote: »
    2 different stories doing the rounds the weekend about Village & Shocks players

I heard a rumour about a village player alright.

Why at this time of the year is the question? Will Paul Murphy play full back? I'd rather have him in the corner to be honest - fast and reliable. Will Kevin Kelly get a start come c'ship time?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Why at this time of the year is the question? Will Paul Murphy play full back? I'd rather have him in the corner to be honest - fast and reliable. Will Kevin Kelly get a start come c'ship time?

Injury maybe? Possibly cant give the time due to work commitment?

kksaints wrote: »
    Injury maybe? Possibly cant give the time due to work commitment?

Hard to know KK, just before c'ship time. Regardless, best of luck to whoever it is. As a KK follower from the North, everyone of them has given us hours of memories on the pitch. Hopefully after county league games are over now for a while, then hopefully the panel will get a good run now for the Leinster c'ship.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,727 ✭✭✭kksaints

Hard to know KK, just before c'ship time. Regardless, best of luck to whoever it is. As a KK follower from the North, everyone of them has given us hours of memories on the pitch. Hopefully after county league games are over now for a while, then hopefully the panel will get a good run now for the Leinster c'ship.

Oh yeah I was just giving possible reasons for a retirement at this time of the season. One of the other, more better informed posters which this thread has many of will say more if anything comes of these rumours.

Also Kilkenny are playing Limerick in the Inistioge GAA grounds in a challenge match this Sunday at 7pm to celebrate the official opening of the aforementioned GAA ground. Should be an interesting match.

kksaints wrote: »
    Oh yeah I was just giving possible reasons for a retirement at this time of the season. One of the other, more better informed posters which this thread has many of will say more if anything comes of these rumours.

Also Kilkenny are playing Limerick in the Inistioge GAA grounds in a challenge match this Sunday at 7pm to celebrate the official opening of the aforementioned GAA ground. Should be an interesting match.

Ok, thanks. We'll here more in due course. These matches usually give a bit of game time to 'fringe' players but it's still a good opportunity to push for a place. The management know who are in top form from training.
    Going forward, I think KK are in a great position. People will point to the retirements and JJ will be hard to replace but we've got a good break and the lads will be raring to go now.
    Put it like this, I wouldn't fear meeting anybody.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,727 ✭✭✭brookville

The rumour going around was a senior player who had heart issues but he played at the weekend for his club and I believe it's not life threatening and is being closely monitored.you would think he wouldnt of played if there was any risk.Apparently training is going well.it will be intresting to see who is going to be giving the no.3 jersey,looks like joey holden at this stage.u21 won't be available this wknd

brookville wrote: »
    The rumour going around was a senior player who had heart issues but he played at the weekend for his club and I believe it's not life threatening and is being closely monitored.you would think he wouldnt of played if there was any risk.Apparently training is going well.it will be intresting to see who is going to be giving the no.3 jersey,looks like joey holden at this stage.u21 won't be available this wknd

Yeah, Joey good option at No. 3 but it's such a tough position to play. No second chances at fullback. Experience counts for a lot but with Paul and Jackie in the corners, he'll be well supported.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭robwen

Supposedly something similar to Noel Hickey from a few years back

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ric Flair

Was at the Graigue Ballycallan v Tullaroan game on Sunday myself. Thought it was one of the better club games played in Kilkenny so far this year for excitement, good hurling & plenty of fire from both teams. Tommy is still a class act & still a joy to watch. Tommy was 5 but the younger Tommy Walsh was at 7 and hurled a super game. Asked a friend of mine from Tullaroan about him and was told he is minor again next year. Serious talent....

Is this the biggest derby in Kilkenny club hurling???

• Registered Users Posts: 8,519 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ric Flair wrote: »
    Was at the Graigue Ballycallan v Tullaroan game on Sunday myself. Thought it was one of the better club games played in Kilkenny so far this year for excitement, good hurling & plenty of fire from both teams. Tommy is still a class act & still a joy to watch. Tommy was 5 but the younger Tommy Walsh was at 7 and hurled a super game. Asked a friend of mine from Tullaroan about him and was told he is minor again next year. Serious talent....

Is this the biggest derby in Kilkenny club hurling???

No way it's Mooncoin V Carrigeen ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

No way it's Mooncoin V Carrigeen ;)

Id probably say Graiguenamanagh V Blacks and Whites myself is definately on a par with that one too

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭mercury16

I thought that KK had a decent minor team this year but according to Paddy Power we're way down the pecking order in the betting. There's no smoke without fire so is there some truth in the begging order, or is PP going on how these teams went in the Tony Forristel? In order of favourites
    Cork
    Tipp
    Dublin
    Galway
    Kilkenny
    Limerick
    Clare

• Registered Users Posts: 624 ✭✭✭babyjesus14

mercury16 wrote: »
    I thought that KK had a decent minor team this year but according to Paddy Power we're way down the pecking order in the betting. There's no smoke without fire so is there some truth in the begging order, or is PP going on how these teams went in the Tony Forristel? In order of favourites
    Cork
    Tipp
    Dublin
    Galway
    Kilkenny
    Limerick
    Clare

I don't see an All-Ireland in this forward line, very strong up to midfield but don't have anyone of the calibre of Murphy, Walsh or Blanchfield from last year up front.

I don't see an All-Ireland in this forward line, very strong up to midfield but don't have anyone of the calibre of Murphy, Walsh or Blanchfield from last year up front.

Maybe not but Gaffney and Butler saw action last year. O'Connor was injured last year but is playing senior for the loughs at the moment. Ditto Murphy for the Boro. Time will tell...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

I was at 3 games last weekend starting with Clara and the Village. As mentioned earlier Chris Bolger was in unreal form and took the defence apart at will Conor O'Shea also had a good game too with 4points from play. The Village were very poor alround. Larks wasn't looking great and he supposedly has a viral infection that can't be pinned down and is leading him to being extremely tired all the time. He will probably see limited hurling time until this is sorted, provided that it's TRUE of course. Scanlon looked mediocre at best but he has hurling to catch up on. Matt Ruth showed flashes but not enough to lead the line like he should have with Larkin off form. What Tomas Keogh was doing playing up front I don't know.

I also went to the Boro and Carrickshock. Carrickshock opened very well and the Boro were in trouble but the held in there and played very well in the second half and could have won by a lot if they had taken half their chances.
    Michael Rice was very good for the first 20mins but faded badly after that and will need a lot more game time. John Power led the Shocks line well but was much quieter in the second half when Eoin Gough went on him. Hough had an excellent game as had Eddie O'Donoghue in the second half when moved back to the half forward line and roasted John Dalton for most of that half.

Went out to the GBC v Tullaroan also and as said before if your name was Walsh you played well in this game. Padraig though for me was unplayable he was beating lads in the air and sweeping around the mid section of the field swiping ball off lads and either laying it into the forwards or lobbing over long range points.

On the county scene I've heard Buckley has been tried at centre back a few times.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement