Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Kilkenny GAA Discussion Thread Mod Warning Post # 5885 #4894 & #5202

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,728 ✭✭✭brookville

Kilkenny are still the team to beat,teams love playing them,rise their game to play them.Its hard to know where we are yet this year although with coady at the helm it's safe to say we'll be competitive.Id expect wexford to throw the kitchen sink at us but hopefully we'll have enough to get over them.Id expect the team to be something like murphy
    paul murphy,holden,tyrell
    walsh, joyce, buckley
    fogarty,fennelly
    walter,hogan,tj
    colin, kevin kelly, john power

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭pmy.murphy

Whats the story with Richie Power and Eoin larkin? How long more will they be out for?

• Registered Users Posts: 931 ✭✭✭Cornerback1

Kkboy wrote: »
    I think Conor Fogarty was extremely important for us last year and will start in midfield with Hogan and Fennelly switching between a deep lying center forward and midfield. Interesting to see if Michael Rice can get back to fitness this year, he would be a great option off the bench and a good man to have around the squad given the recent retirements

True, Conor just coming back at the right time. The break after the Nat. League relegation will have done no harm in my opinion. He was excellent last year, grew into it after playing corner back. Padraig Walsh also very adaptable and can play half back, midfield and half forward. Michael Rice will hopefully get a decent injury free run this year. I'd like to see Kevin Kelly pushing on this year. He was excellent V Clare in league game but needs to push on to be a regular starter in c'ship this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,834 ✭✭✭randd1

pmy.murphy wrote: »
    Whats the story with Richie Power and Eoin larkin? How long more will they be out for?

Larkin recovering, should be ok.

Richie Power likely gone for the year, knees not going well according to lads in the club.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭tbiggertycome

Larkin has Glandular fever and will recover but always hard to know how long that will take as it's very individual could be weeks or months. Richie Power has had a little knee cleaning done he won't make the Wexford game but should hopefully be back around the Leinster final but he might miss that too. Mark Kelly can be added to the injured list as well. Not serious but he won't make the Wex game I hear.

• Advertisement

We all seen how important richie was last august when he came on against limerick and the two tipperary matches hopefully he can come back as fresh this year if we are still involved . hopefully eoin makes a full recovery done the thankless job last year of dropping deep and covering a lot of ground it's time for the next crop to step up

• Registered Users Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭blackcard

brookville wrote: »
    Kilkenny are still the team to beat,teams love playing them,rise their game to play them.Its hard to know where we are yet this year although with coady at the helm it's safe to say we'll be competitive.Id expect wexford to throw the kitchen sink at us but hopefully we'll have enough to get over them.Id expect the team to be something like murphy
    paul murphy,holden,tyrell
    walsh, joyce, buckley
    fogarty,fennelly
    walter,hogan,tj
    colin, kevin kelly, john power

Is Ger Aylward fit? I think he might be worth a run in the full forward line

It's probably between aylward/kevin kelly for a spot in the fowards personally I'd have kelly.The bench will probably be weak especially with the few injuries

It's probably between aylward/kevin kelly for a spot in the fowards personally I'd have kelly.The bench will probably be weak especially with the few injuries

I would have both Aylward and Kelly with one of John Power/Walter Walsh

Both john and walter have being very inconsistent but both physical ball winners which coady loves and will be required against wexford

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭droppingball

Id go with walter, richie hogan, tj, colin fennelly, kevin kelly and jonjo farrell up front, could be a week full forward line but think kelly and farrell deserve a crack after the league, richie power and larkin back could be important to our year, not sure about john power thought he was poor all league

• Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Michael Fennelly struggling to be fit for Wexford showdown
    Michael Fennelly has emerged as a fitness concern ahead of Kilkenny’s Leinster hurling semi-final against Wexford in Nowlan Park this Sunday. A lower back problem, linked to his arthritis, flared up five weeks ago, which leaves him struggling to break into Brian Cody’s first championship side of 2015.

Mick has been very unlucky with injuries. I think he's a fantastic hurler. Maybe the complete hurler in my eyes. Strong, athletic, skillful, powerful. He reminds me of a box-to-box midfielder in soccer. He can both attack and defend. Similar to the likes of Roy Keane and Patrick Viera when they were at their peak.

But, your health comes first. Some of his comments in the article are quite worrying when he mentions how debilitating his injuries are :(

Jack quiney apparently dropped for disciplinery reasons and kilkenny will have everyone except richie power for selection
    http://hoganstand.com/

Really hope Richie Power can make it back some time during the year, we would not have won the AI last year without him.
    Last year, Padraig Walsh, Conor Fogarty and Cillian Buckley broke onto the first team. I think we need at least two players to make the breakthrough this year. Kevin Kelly and Ger Aylward??

Hopefully joey goes okay full back this year,maybe the likes of mark kelly or brian kennedy who have being around a few years can push on and the likes of john joe and joe lyng can keep improving but I agree we need at least two players to make the breakthrough

Hopefully joey goes okay full back this year,maybe the likes of mark kelly or brian kennedy who have being around a few years can push on and the likes of john joe and joe lyng can keep improving but I agree we need at least two players to make the breakthrough

Panel got a decent run in National League and sometimes they impressed but maybe never got the run they deserved in the next game. A full panel is needed now for these games with injuries etc.

I'd like to see, as stated before, Kevin Kelly, get a decent run in team. I think up front you always need a few 'direct' players to head straight for goal and to create space for others.

Joey should slot in at full back ok with good support from PM and JT.

It will be a great test for joey sunday on macdonald or liam og I feel if these two are quite they'll find it hard to get the scores lee chin and richie hogan will also be a good tussle

It will be a great test for joey sunday on macdonald or liam og I feel if these two are quite they'll find it hard to get the scores lee chin and richie hogan will also be a good tussle

Yes, some good battles all over the pitch. They have an advantage of a game against Westmeath already under their belts - doesn't matter what the score was.

Hopefully KK can get straight into it from the first whistle.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AlienZog

Lads are any of ye even slightly worried about Wexford match? Or do you think it will be a straightforward enough win?

AlienZog wrote: »
    Lads are any of ye even slightly worried about Wexford match? Or do you think it will be a straightforward enough win?

I would be concerned on a number of fronts. Firstly, we have only 6 matches played this year whereas the last number of years, we would have played twice that amount between the league and Walsh Cup. A number of players are also undercooked due to injuries. A toss of a coin probably saved us from relegation. JJ is gone and we will have an untested full back against McDonald. Richie Power is missing and we will have 2 or 3 forwards who are unproven. Plus, Wexford are a good side whose underage teams have beaten KK as often as not in the last few years

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,322 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I'm a bit worried also, similar reasons to what blackcard said above.
    I'd be very nervous if the game was in Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭wingbacknr5

I'm a bit worried also, similar reasons to what blackcard said above.
    I'd be very nervous if the game was in Wexford.

In a way I think it suits Wexford that the game is in Nowlan Park. If it was in Wexford Park there would probably be more hype and expectation around their chances. As it is, they are coming in under the radar a bit which will suit them just fine.

Wexford had a good win over Waterford in Nowlan Park last summer as well, so the venue shouldn't hold any fear for them. I expect them to give it a huge effort on Sunday; but feel that Kilkenny should have a bit too much guile and goal scoring ability for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,460 ✭✭✭Orizio

AlienZog wrote: »

KK by 8-10 points, handy win.

KK only have to worry about Tipp this year, and that is a small worry really.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 AlienZog

I agree that playing in Nowlan park suits wexford, too much hype if it was in Wexford park. Wexford have typically played well in Nowlan Park

In a way I think it suits Wexford that the game is in Nowlan Park. If it was in Wexford Park there would probably be more hype and expectation around their chances. As it is, they are coming in under the radar a bit which will suit them just fine.

Wexford had a good win over Waterford in Nowlan Park last summer as well, so the venue shouldn't hold any fear for them. I expect them to give it a huge effort on Sunday; but feel that Kilkenny should have a bit too much guile and goal scoring ability for them.

Should be a good game alright although I hope the 'freshness' of less games will stand to us. In the league, the 2 sending's off V Dublin early on ruined the game and we were never going to win it after that. Could have got something out of Galway game so league, although nearly relegated, wasn't too bad overall in my opinion.

We had a good break since league, got the BHS lads back and hopefully that will stand to us later on in the summer. Wexford will be tough and they'll be well up for it so it should be a good challenge.

I'd expect kk to be fresh and they'll have to be fully focused,wexford will be quietly confident they can get something from this match and will be hoping to leave everything on the pitch.There should be a good atmosphere and some great duels,if lee chin can put the shackles on richie and get enough ball to their danger men they'll fancy there chances.what kind of crowd is expected?The minors face a tricky assignment against a good laois side it's a must win match or there season is over hopefully they can improve like last year as the year progresses

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Any thoughts on the minor game lads... are Kilkenny the usual polished article, or could our lads grind out a win?

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Heard larkin is to start despite only a couple of training sessions. Havnt heard anything else yet

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭jeff bingham

Heard larkin is to start despite only a couple of training sessions. Havnt heard anything else yet

• Advertisement

Danno wrote: »
    Any thoughts on the minor game lads... are Kilkenny the usual polished article, or could our lads grind out a win?

No great hopes for this set of minors but hopefully will improve if they get over Sunday

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement