Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

No. That's just going whats bookable so far. If that were to be taken as gospel then they'd be dropping about half their route network :rolleyes: :pac:

I am so relived at that. I want Shannon to reach numbers reached a few years ago again.

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭knockon

Stobart Air (Aer Lingus Regional) are to resume services again from Shannon to Birmingham.

Welcome back Stobart Air....

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/15-03-24/Shannon_Airport_welcomes_Stobart_return_on_Birmingham_route.aspx

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,162 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

knockon wrote: »
    Stobart Air (Aer Lingus Regional) are to resume services again from Shannon to Birmingham.

http://www.shannonairport.ie/gns/about-us/latest-news/latest-news/15-03-24/Shannon_Airport_welcomes_Stobart_return_on_Birmingham_route.aspx

I think someone needs to tell Shannon airport that the flights are branded Aer Lingus regional, that article mentioned Stobart Air about 20 times, which is useless as passengers can't book with them. What is the point in releasing public articles on route development if not to increase forward bookings, and advertise?!? Yet they don't mention the name of the airline where you book the seats

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

And yet the whole operation from Shannon was said to be losing them money just a short time ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

And yet the whole operation from Shannon was said to be losing them money just a short time ago!

Not losing money, just that they could have making more money somewhere else.

• Advertisement

Locker10a wrote: »
    I think someone needs to tell Shannon airport that the flights are branded Aer Lingus regional, that article mentioned Stobart Air about 20 times, which is useless as passengers can't book with them. What is the point in releasing public articles on route development if not to increase forward bookings, and advertise?!? Yet they don't mention the name of the airline where you book the seats

Shannon Airport already knows the airlines is branded Aer Lingus Regional.

I always knew they would come back. It proves Shannon are the best airport and unpossible to leave. I am happy they have came back fair play to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,186 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It proves Shannon are the best airport and unpossible to leave.

No, it really, really doesn't.

L1011 wrote: »
    No, it really, really doesn't.

Have your opinion but Shannon is the best airport in Ireland and it was the site of the worlds first duty free. Dublin may be busier but it will never have the history that Shannon has.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Have your opinion but Shannon is the best airport in Ireland and it was the site of the worlds first duty free. Dublin may be busier but it will never have the history that Shannon has.

This your opinion. Doesn't make it right or wrong, just makes it yours.
    However claiming that having had the worlds 1st D/F shop is a little irrelevant. This doesn't make an airport "the best"
    And please note that both airports are operating about the same number of years as each other. Both have significant history of their own.

SNN: In 1936, the Government of Ireland confirmed that it would develop a 3.1 km2 (1.2 sq mi) site at Rineanna for the country's first transatlantic airport. The land on which the airport was to be built was boggy, and on 8 October 1936 work began to drain the land. By 1942 a serviceable airport had been established and was named Shannon Airport. .....

DUB: In 1936 ...... A decision was made that a civil airport should replace Baldonnel as the city's airport. The townlands of Collinstown, Rock and Corballis in the Barony of Coolock were selected as the location for the new civil aerodrome.......Construction of the new airport began in 1937. By the end of 1939 a grass airfield surface, internal roads, car parks and electrical power and lighting were set up. The inaugural flight from Dublin took place on 19 January 1940 to Liverpool.

• Advertisement

Having the first of something doesn't make it "the best".

Your opinion is that it is, but you haven't backed it up with anything beyond a statement saying that an airline belatedly returning one of its mulitple routes it pulled shows it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

Actually, Baldonnel is the best trans-Atlantic airport in Ireland. In fact, it's the best in Europe.
    http://source.southdublinlibraries.ie/bitstream/10599/6505/3/Bremen.pdf

The Flight of the Bremen

The first East- West non-stop trans Atlantic flight took off from the Air Corps Base at Baldonnel and landed at Greenly Island, Labrador in April 1928. Capt. James Fitzmaurice of Rathcoole was one of the three man crew. This was a major world event It grabbed headlines in all the major newspapers both sides of the Atlantic. The event particularly captured the imagination of the American public. There was a carnival atmosphere and cities came to a standstill as people danced in the streets on hearing of the safe landing of the Bremen. Thousands of people greeted the Bremen flyers on their eventual arrival in New York and they were awarded the US Distinguished Flying Cross award by President Calvin Coolidge at the White House.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Actually, Baldonnel is the best trans-Atlantic airport in Ireland. In fact, it's the best in Europe.

Fine, you go get your Aer Lingus flight to JFK from Baldonnel, I'll be in Shannon.

Dublin may be busier but it will never have the history that Shannon has.
    You mean the history of obstructing people from flying into Ireland? No, Dublin certainly doesn't have that history.

You mean the history of obstructing people from flying into Ireland? No, Dublin certainly doesn't have that history.

What about the history of Dublin stopping nearly all investment in the Mid-West?

Carnacalla wrote: »
    What about the history of Dublin stopping nearly all investment in the Mid-West?
    The difference between that and most myths is that most myths have at least a germ of truth to them.

The difference between that and most myths is that most myths have at least a germ of truth to them.

My god you are cocky.

Go research.

You'd be happy if Dublin was separated into another country wouldn't you?

Go research.
    I have; it's the Shannon crowd who haven't a clue about their own history, beyond the kind of stuff you might see in Ireland's Own.
    You'd be happy if Dublin was separated into another country wouldn't you?
    Depends on the country. Canada would be nice.

What history?

Local press 'stories' and political rhetoric do not equal facts.

The SNN interests did, however, prevent Dublin getting an appropriate length runway when 10/28 was being planned.

• Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

What history?

Local press 'stories' and political rhetoric do not equal facts.

The SNN interests did, however, prevent Dublin getting an appropriate length runway when 10/28 was being planned.

So any facts or politics that dont suit you are nonsense? There's more to the country than just your bubble! Also why should all investment in the country be for dublin? Would it not be a better idea to grow a even spread across the island? ...........oh but it wouldn't suit your agenda so to hell with the rest! Or should I say west!

• Advertisement

imurdaddy wrote: »
    So any facts or politics that dont suit you are nonsense? There's more to the country than just your bubble! Also why should all investment in the country be for dublin? Would it not be a better idea to grow a even spread across the island? ...........oh but it wouldn't suit your agenda so to hell with the rest! Or should I say west!

What facts?

Again, rhetoric isn't facts - and your post is just that.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Cut it out, you've been given a warning for trolling, any more off topic nonsense to get a rise out of people will get a ban.

What facts?

Again, rhetoric isn't facts - and your post is just that.

Ha your shoud read your own! This thread is about shannon, but you are miffed by the fact local politicians people and lobby groups have a vested interest in the airports and region! You are the one spouting rhetoric and false shock at the fact local groups support whats best for this region!

Why would politicians and lobby groups for the midwest region give there backing to something that would damage the midwest?

The support by the midwestern region seems to upset you! You hardly expect everyone west of the shannon to be happy with a return to centralization!

Rhetoric = anything you dont agree with or doesn't benefit you.

Ha your shoud read your own! This thread is about shannon, but you are miffed by the fact local politicians people and lobby groups have a vested interest in the airports and region! You are the one spouting rhetoric and false shock at the fact local groups support whats best for this region!

Why would politicians and lobby groups for the midwest region give there backing to something that would damage the midwest?

The support by the midwestern region seems to upset you! You hardly expect everyone west of the shannon to be happy with a return to centralization!

Rhetoric = anything you dont agree with or doesn't benefit you.

So - no facts then.

So - no facts then.

You are the one claiming to have facts! Where did I say I had any facts?

I outlined a few reasons why SNN would be supported, made a reasonable statement and a childish answer is all you can manage! From a poster demanding facts! Speaks volumes about the type of facts you deal in. It's clear you just have a chip on your shoulder about shannon., so wrong thread.

SNN-BHX now bookable. Times are as follows:

BHX-SNN 16:55-18:35
    SNN-BHX 19:00-20:35

Fares start from €29.99 one way or €90.98 return. Flights start 15th of June.

Amazingly enough, you still get the option to connect In Shannon with the Transatlantic flights when flying from BOS/JFK. I cannot imagine anyone would want a 13 hour stopover.

You are the one claiming to have facts! Where did I say I had any facts?

I outlined a few reasons why SNN would be supported, made a reasonable statement and a childish answer is all you can manage! From a poster demanding facts! Speaks volumes about the type of facts you deal in. It's clear you just have a chip on your should about shannon., so wrong thread.

What reasons? You've made [very standard] impassioned statements about "the west" but given no actual reasons.

The Greater Dublin Area gets less state investment than its size and economic activity justify - as it has to support the entire rest of the country by social transfers. "The West" gets more investment than its size and economic activity justify as well as severe encouragement for private investment via the IDA and other state agencies. Trying to compare a suitable amount of investment for a small, rural area to a suitable amount of investment for a large, urban area in direct Euro-to-Euro terms is deceptive but it is the stock and trade of rural media and politicians.

SNN has received undue support from the state over the years, including deliberately crippingly DUB in runway length and a massive writeoff of debt accumulated over the years where it was not running viable.

You also don't understand what rhetoric is.

I don't even know that you've actually read my posts - if you can show me where I've shown "false shock", for starters... You appear to be shadow-boxing arguments that weren't actually made, by anyone.

What reasons? You've made [very standard] impassioned statements about "the west" but given no actual reasons.

The Greater Dublin Area gets less state investment than its size and economic activity justify - as it has to support the entire rest of the country by social transfers. "The West" gets more investment than its size and economic activity justify as well as severe encouragement for private investment.

SNN has received undue support from the state over the years, including deliberately crippingly DUB in runway length and a massive writeoff of debt accumulated over the years where it was not running viable.

You also don't understand what rhetoric is.

So im right a chip on the shoulder! But not only for SNN but indeed ever place bar Dublin!
    I fully understand rhetoric, I was simply outlining your version. What you have posted above is pure bs as you know its not that clear cut on any of the points you made but sure you just ignored the "facts" you dont like, such as ARI been taken, the debit ran up by DAA oh and DAA is not funded from tax take.to name a few, But dont let the truth get in the way.

Anyway im done, you have an agenda against SNN and elsewhere so ill leave you to it

So im right a chip on the shoulder! But not only for SNN but indeed ever place bar Dublin!
    I fully understand rhetoric, I was simply outlining your version. What you have posted above is pure bs as you know its not that clear cut on any of the points you made but sure you just ignored the "facts" you dont like, such as ARI been taken, the debit ran up by DAA oh and DAA is not funded from tax take.to name a few, But dont let the truth get in the way.

Anyway im done, you have an agenda against SNN and elsewhere so ill leave you to it

ARI was not "taken", as it was part of Aer Rianta not the airport. The DAA, despite the name, is Aer Rianta, albeit now minus one airport.

The debt was run up developing SNN, and should have stayed with the airport.

• Advertisement

They really developed it from 3.6million to 1.4million didn't they?

Advertisement