Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Just checking the departures from Shannon. I see a BA PLC flight listed to JFK. Can someone let me know who operates this flight?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,123 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Just checking the departures from Shannon. I see a BA PLC flight listed to JFK. Can someone let me know who operates this flight?

Thanks

BA operate a service from LCY (A small airport right in the centre of London that can only take very small planes) to JFK throgh Shannon on the way over.

These flights are unique as they are in an A318, with extra fuel tanks and the configuration is 32 business class seats. The flights use the same flight number as Concorde's old service.

They operate twice daily most days going from LCY-SNN-JFK with the earlier flight availing of preclearance. On the return it goes direct from JFK-LCY.

Often a rare bird to be found. Not many A318's around, even less in full business configuration and in BA livery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Bad news is that you have to go to LCY to avail of the flight. I often wonder how many extra seats would they sell if it could pick at SNN outbound.

roundymac wrote: »
    Bad news is that you have to go to LCY to avail of the flight. I often wonder how many extra seats would they sell if it could pick at SNN outbound.

In the BA/EI takeover press release, allowing passengers to board the flight in SNN was given as one of the possible growth for the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

Scroll down to the Google Earth image and fill your boots with he 32 seat interior tour:pac:;).

http://www.stuff.co.nz/travel/news/72548302/a-glimpse-inside-ba-businessonly-flight-with-google

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,146 ✭✭✭goingnowhere

Shannon stop is mainly for fuel as can't take off fully loaded from LCY

Preclearance is a helpful coincidence which ensured Shannon got the business

In a way, yes. They could have also chosen Dublin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,047 ✭✭✭Clonmel1000

Carnacalla wrote: »
    BA operate a service from LCY (A small airport right in the centre of London that can only take very small planes) to JFK throgh Shannon on the way over.

These flights are unique as they are in an A318, with extra fuel tanks and the configuration is 32 business class seats. The flights use the same flight number as Concorde's old service.

They operate twice daily most days going from LCY-SNN-JFK with the earlier flight availing of preclearance. On the return it goes direct from JFK-LCY.

Often a rare bird to be found. Not many A318's around, even less in full business configuration and in BA livery

Thanks so much for the info.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,370 ✭✭✭Skuxx

There are no extra fuel tanks on the BA 318 that go to New York!

Shannon stop is mainly for fuel as can't take off fully loaded from LCY

Multitude of factors in sure were taken into account.

Weather, average weather across a year.

Runway length, causes no limitation on operation.

Charges, landing charges, fuelling, handling etc etc.

Airport facilities like CBP, tech facilities, nav aids

Proximity to Atlantic and average NAT tracks

Quiet airport limiting chance of delays and slot restrictions

Etc etc etc

• Advertisement

Quiet airport limiting chance of delays and slot restrictions

Etc etc etc

Although according to the recently aired inside Shannon programme, there is a lacking in US (and widebody) stands during the peak summer season.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,674 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Although according to the recently aired inside Shannon programme, there is a lacking in US (and widebody) stands during the peak summer season.

If they scheduled better they wouldn't be

Easily sorted if the Shannon managers negotiated schedule changes. No shortage of facilities just bad management of current ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

I saw the BA parked at a non airbridge connected stand in early Sept. I was surprised at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Tbh I think alot of it was put on for the programme

• Registered Users Posts: 3,181 ✭✭✭Davidth88

Tbh I think alot of it was put on for the programme

I can confirm this , I know the guy who was involved in the making of this:-

a) he said it was really difficult to find things to film
    b) he featured himself in things like the search unit bit.

He did a get a great photo of himself in the cockpit of the An226 when it came to visit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 667 ✭✭✭Balf

Davidth88 wrote: »
    he said it was really difficult to find things to film
    Would this be the same guy who said
    Checking on the ratings thread, the audience seemed to vanish after the first two episodes.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057421931&page=9

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 31,117 ✭✭✭✭snubbleste

Norwegian coming to Shannon?
    http://clareherald.com/2016/03/shannon-confirms-deal-with-norwegian-air-75391/
    A Shannon Airport spokesman said:
    “We have a deal in place with Norwegian Airlines, having commenced discussions with them in 2014. This is dependent on licencing from the US authorities and we are supporting the airline in this through our network in the US and here in Ireland.
    This is an important opportunity for us and we look forward to having this new carrier at Shannon and growing passenger numbers and services here as a result,”

Certainly hope not, would destroy the EI route to BOS, at least in the winter.

Competition is good!
    EI have had the Snn-Bos route to themselves for years

• Advertisement

snubbleste wrote: »
    Competition is good!
    EI have had the Snn-Bos route to themselves for years

Competition is good when there's room.
    BOS just manages at 5pw in the depth of winter.

All we know is that there are talks about talks.
    There's been no mention of destinations except US

All we know is that there are talks about talks.
    There's been no mention of destinations except US

http://clareherald.com/2016/02/new-airline-for-shannon-87534/

Did not see that. I searched the forum & everything.

Did not see that. I searched the forum & everything.

This ones not used too much, being honest I forgot it was here! It was fairly hidden in that article tbf.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057132113&page=192

Try this thread, its alot more active.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,431 ✭✭✭Markcheese

Werent norwegian looking at doing cork boston.. but couldnt get the licence on the US side...

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 705 ✭✭✭BZ

Competition is good when there's room.
    BOS just manages at 5pw in the depth of winter.

If this route gets the go ahead it will be summer season only with a 737-800.

Markcheese wrote: »
    Werent norwegian looking at doing cork boston.. but couldnt get the licence on the US side...

They have plans to do ORK-BOS, which are still active pending US DOT approval. It hasn't been rejected.

By the looks of it Norwegian approached SNN long before Cork (SNN in 2014).

BZ wrote: »
    If this route gets the go ahead it will be summer season only with a 737-800.

That's fair enough, I can see a justifiable market for that.

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 638 ✭✭✭imurdaddy

This funny when Norwegian announced flights for cork, there was great celebration at the death of Shannon, I wonder how many are so smug now?

And let's be clear Norwegian are only playing games to screw employees but for the people of cork that didn't matter a dam, hopefully they operate from snn aer lingus have had it all their own way long enough and have shown no loyalty to snn or traveling pax, so best of luck to Norwegian!

Advertisement