Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport

Options
1141516171820»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭mookishboy

Woke me up at 3:30 am approx on way to Moscow @ 19000 ft

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

SNN-ORD starting daily from May 25th.

Shannon will be a nice little transatlantic hub again if they can get AA to bring back PHL and DL to bring back either JFK or BOS. It'd make for up to 6 departures on certain days and damn near 1k seats.

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭HTCOne

A nice surprise. Hopefully it does well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

Nice surprise indeed on top on the increase frequencies anounced by ryanair recently

Think the airport has potential for a route east too. While transatlantic traditionally is core bussiness not everyone wants to go to the states. Given the increasing numbers of people from India living and working in the midwest and the amount of Irish in the UAE, oz and new zealand there is potential for shannon/dubai route.

I think Turkish on the MAX/Neo are probably the only bet heading east. 4 x weekly or something.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭x567

AA’s plans for the interior of their on-order 321XLRs look really good. Doubt SNN is top of the priority list for these, but you never know. Not sure the route would support an AA 788, but it would be great if they did get PHL and it’s onward connections back sometime soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭TPMP

Anyone know when the Antonov will be departing?

Good to see FR starting a summer service to Naples from SNN. Twice per week at civilised times. Hope it gets good take-up...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

also times where theres actually public transport (beyond Ennis or Limerick) into the place.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,824 ✭✭✭lisasimpson

What ever is there is v poor. Even the kavanghs services from nenagh to limerick doesnt extend to the airport. Thats something the airport need to get cracking on with public transporta providers. Its crazy its a hell of a lot easier for people in nenagh or roscrea to get the bus to dublin airport. Its not uncommon in Templemore to drop people to the bus in roscrea for the airport to dublin even though shannon is closer and easier. Not everyone drives. Airport is loosing custom they also need to ensure existing services are times better so people can make the early departures and have options for late arrivals

• Registered Users Posts: 7,834 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

In all honesty, Galway and Cork should be top of the list to get early or late services ahead of the likes of Roscrea or Nenagh, but its the same thing, if the airport nearest you hasnt public transport when the flights actually depart, then there will be a drift to better connected places like Dublin airport

Thats aside from better flight options, or like you saw with the waterford crowd, they just didnt use their local airport to save a couple of euro and travelled the 3hours to Dublin airport instead, and look what happened there. Lack of demand (caused in part by locals not supporting their airport) = no flights at all.

If demand was there im sure Bus Eireann etc would definitely put services on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭Jack1985

With all due respect, BÉ thinking outside the box is a rarity. An example of how stupid the transport infrastructure into SNN is for example on a Saturday;

First bus to Limerick Station @ 6:55 arriving @ 7:35.

First Express busses from Limerick Station to Cork and Galway depart @ 7:25 next being an hour later.

I will never understand such disorganised schedules.

I was only saying in general. My point was more towards demand.

Agree with you on schedules. Not ideal if your arriving from BOS/JFK

There's a train at 08:00, which is better. Gets to cork later though but which is preferable?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,875 ✭✭✭Storm 10

Wrong category

Just not joined up... I wonder if a sensible regional mayor might make something of a difference - the airport needs some strategic coordination and planning which probably exceeds the remit of the Shannon board working in isolation. We can live in hope...

• Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

Any news on American's PHL-SNN route? I recall an article from 2021 stating it intended to launch the route again with a 787 but it was postponed due to 787 production delays? I wonder would they struggle to fill even a 788...

How was the route served in the past? 757/767?

It was a 757 last time I flew on the route; and yes the announced plan was for a 788 to be used in due course. I may be wrong but from memory the 757 had a US domestic ‘first’ seat in J rather than the usual AA TA product. These are in use on AA’s 737max8s including for some fairly lengthy South America routes - I wonder if that has the legs for the SNN route? The 788 is a lot of plane to fill…

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 chasing_ghosts

A 757 makes sense, I was surprised there was enough demand for PHL out of SNN, considering AA and EI both do PHL-DUB already. Thanks for that.

I know Air Canada does YHZ-LHR with the MAX8, although I'm not sure how much further away PHL is.

AA have a good few A321Neos in their fleet but they seem to just be operated within North America only. And yes they appear to have the domestic "first" config too, which is 2-2. Kinda weird.

The A321Neo seems to have slightly more range than the 752 so I guess it's possible? Of course they know something we don't though!

I think the route was more about summer tourism demand for SNN/West of Ireland from PHL and it’s network than about outbound demand for PHL from the SNN catchment.

AA have 321XLRs on order with an impressive premium-heavy configuration planned. Fingers crossed they will appear at SNN eventually…

• Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭cson

When AA had the 757 it did LAX/SFO <-> PHL <-> SNN or PHL <-> SJU <-> PHL <-> SNN routings iirc. It was a domestic config, as noted above - standard US first class recliners.

A 788 is way too much plane for the route, but hopefully the XLRs will bring have it make sense financially. It should be easy enough for them to plug back into the schedule.

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭SNNUS

They are waiting until the A321LR are delivered before restarting the route, the 757 would be ideal but they retired them pretty quickly recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 35 rdser

Good to see delta coming back to shannon next year on jfk.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,413 ✭✭✭✭zell12

RTÉ shift Shannon into Connacht

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭ULEZ23

Ahh come on now zell (the rereg formerly know as banned user snubbleste) that’s a silly post

• Registered Users Posts: 4,757 ✭✭✭Comhrá

Advertisement