Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shannon airport

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

See you were going out of your was looking for these quotes to suit your own agenda. The normal person won't actually do that and if they simply search for Europes longest runway they won't find Shannon. Despite BS your claims.
    I don't think you understand how to use Google to find the information that can help you most.

Obviously, if people Google "Europe's longest runway", they won't find many references to Shannon because Shannon isn't Europe's longest runway.

What I was looking for was examples where people had, wrongly, described Shannon as Europe's longest runway. So that's what I looked for. And found. Very quickly.

Because, strangely, I find other people get very attached to these myths and very defensive when they are pointed to as myths. Hence your frequent, prompt, responses to this thread.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭notharrypotter

I posted it in the SHANNON airport thread as it's relevant to Shannon and I didn't feel it needed it's own thread yet.

Stop seeing conspiracies where there isn't any !

Its just as relevant to Cork so my question is pertinent,

In fact every airport outside Dublin may be effected.

IAA website.
    This potential is greatest at smaller, less busy regional airports where the volume of traffic is likely to be insufficient to cover the costs of service provision at a user charge that is sustainable from the customers’ perspective - See more at: https://www.iaa.ie/role-atm#sthash.q0RzBOpk.dpuf

So yes its own thread should have been more appropriate.

Its just as relevant to Cork so my question is pertinent,

In fact every airport outside Dublin may be effected.

IAA website.

So yes its own thread should have been more appropriate.

In your opinion, you're also welcome to start a new topic if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭flazio

I'm not sure I'd feel confident being a passenger in an airplane who has just been given clearance to land at an airport that the Controller isn't even at.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,538 ✭✭✭kub

Is it approach and radar control that is being centralised I wonder? Then tower control remains in situ.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

kub wrote:
    Is it approach and radar control that is being centralised I wonder? Then tower control remains in situ.

Approach was moved to Dublin for a time but was relocated back down again. It's staffed in the ballycasey control centre rather than at the airport

• Registered Users Posts: 12,955 ✭✭✭✭flazio

The question I'm asking is,
    Is the final 'Clear to Land' call going to be made by someone who is physically at the airport and can see for themselves whether or not the runway is safe to land on. Surely that is a safety regulation for commercial flying?

• Registered Users Posts: 874 ✭✭✭HTCOne

Shannon approach is manned in Shannon Tower, not in Ballycasey. It was moved back a few years ago from Ballycasey.

And as for Prestwick not getting government support, it was bailed out by the Scottish government and is currently owned by the Scottish assembly. It is loss making, has one airline and one scheduled daily flight during the winter, so it has received even more blatant protection from government than Shannon used to, and is costing the Scottish tax payer millions

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,257 ✭✭✭GCU Flexible Demeanour

HTCOne wrote: »
    And as for Prestwick not getting government support, it was bailed out by the Scottish government and is currently owned by the Scottish assembly. It is loss making, has one airline and one scheduled daily flight during the winter, so it has received even more blatant protection from government than Shannon used to, and is costing the Scottish tax payer millions
    Indeed, the Prestwick/Glasgow/Edinburgh thing is an even more ludicrous proposition. It would be like, in addition to Dublin Airport, having another airport in Newbridge and a third airport near Dundalk.

That said, there's not that much comfort in recognizing that others have made an even bigger hames of things.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

I believe the longest civilian runway in the world (definitely that I've come across is 16,076 feet in Uppington, South Africa - about 5,000 metres. That makes Shannon look rather short!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Growler!!!

At nearly 2,800ft amsl it would want to be long......

• Registered Users Posts: 674 ✭✭✭eastmayo

Do any off yeah no which airline flys from Shannon to reus?iam flying out the end of June on a charter flight,iv booked trow falcon,I was hoping it would be Thomson airways but I think it may be air contractors,anyone no for sure,?Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,140 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

It is air contractors. A B737-400 if your interested.

Carnacalla wrote: »
    It is air contractors. A B737-400 if your interested.

Thanks for the quick response,do ya have the reg?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,370 ✭✭✭b757

EI-STA

b757 wrote: »
    EI-STA

Thanks for that,737.300.17 years old,being around a while

eastmayo wrote: »

I do apologise, its a B737-300 doing the Reus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭man98

EI-STA is a bit "accident prone"

man98 wrote: »

Yes I seen that,a few brandys before departure will be required

man98 wrote: »

More incident than accident.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,173 ✭✭✭✭L1011

eastmayo wrote: »

Are Lingus have an A330, three A321s and the ATR42 in the regional fleet that are 17 or older this year as far as I remember. Age isn't that important.

Just because it's not a 737ng doesn't make it ancient - the oldest NGs are a few months newer

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Anyone know if we can expect news on a replacement for the dropped Stobart routes. When it was dropped there was talk of at least two of the three routes been picked up.

Anyone know if we can expect news on a replacement for the dropped Stobart routes. When it was dropped there was talk of at least two of the three routes been picked up.

Ryanair have said they will base a third aircraft in Shannon in September, and they will probably pick up the routes then. In the meantime its either fly to Manchester or London, or fly from cork or Dublin.

Very disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,712 ✭✭✭roundymac

Ryanair have said they will base a third aircraft in Shannon in September, and they will probably pick up the routes then. In the meantime its either fly to Manchester or London, or fly from cork or Dublin.

Very disappointing.
    And probably screw another deal out of SNN. Why is this all too familier.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 320 ✭✭stevielenihan

Shannon Airport is the best airport in Ireland. It has to gain the UK routes back. Shannon is a lovely airport

Shannon Airport is the best airport in Ireland. It has to gain the UK routes back. Shannon is a lovely airport

Hopefully. Pending Ryanairs decision on the MAN route, and to see if they will introduce a UK route or Two.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,686 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Why so?

Hopefully. Pending Ryanairs decision on the MAN route, and to see if they will introduce a UK route or Two.

It says on the wiki page for the airport that both the Kuanas and Manchester routes will end from 24th October. Is there any truth in this?

Jamie2k9 wrote: »
    Why so?

Why wouldnt it be? It had the worlds first Duty Free and it a way more important than Dublin and it is very easy to get through. I only hope passengers will go up as high as they were a few years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭highlydebased

It says on the wiki page for the airport that both the Kuanas and Manchester routes will end from 24th October. Is there any truth in this?

No. That's just going whats bookable so far. If that were to be taken as gospel then they'd be dropping about half their route network :rolleyes: :pac:

Advertisement