Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Jeremy Clarkson suspended

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

Amazingly, Jeremy Clarkson isn't the worst person to have presented Top Gear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Lapin wrote: »
    The man is an inspiration to us all.

He speaks the truth and some people can't take it.

The BBC are gone far too soft in the head.

Lets hope he's back on our screens before too long.

The man is a crashing bore. Oh look, Jeremy said something "provocative" again, shocking! :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,730 ✭✭✭Sheep Lover

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    The man is a crashing bore. Oh look Jeremy said something "provocative" again, shocking! :pac:

You don't have to listen to him? He's only on tv for an hour on a Sunday? And all the people bemoaning Top Gear. It's fairly simple, don't watch it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 112 ✭✭Wide Load

A few Fifth Gear fans hanging about.

You know what's even better than the actual entertaining elements of the show ? Watching the sheer amount of overly sensitive, boring sanctimonious clowns throwing every anti-ism at Jezza and taking his upper middle class, laddish xenophobic persona seriously.

Something seriously off-putting about someone who hates Top Gear because of its banter.

People who use the word banter unironically are probably worse than "Jezza".

But it's all banter at the end of the day.

Banter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Classic clarkson banter. Gowan jezza show them who's boss !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

The man is a crashing bore. Oh look, Jeremy said something "provocative" again, shocking! :pac:

In fairness Tarzana its the usual over-sensitive ninnies who get their collective frilly lingerie in a twist anytime he utters something remotely "offensive"

ScumLord wrote: »
    Top Gear is dead without Clarkson and he'll undoubtedly be snapped up in an instant by another production company if BBC want to let him go.

I'm not so sure about that. IMO, Top Gear is done anyway, it's just so tired at this stage. And I'm not convinced he'd slot in easily elsewhere.

jimbis wrote: »
    In relation to his past controversial comments. How come the likes of Katie Hopkins talks absolute b*llocks and is put on every tv show, paper, radio station etc and clarkson says his own b*llocks (but sometimes what we're all thinking) and gets lambasted over it?

Katie Hopkins get completely lambasted, what are you on about? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Hans Bricks

Wide Load wrote: »

Banter.

Awoight mate ? ya 'avin a bitta bantah ?

You sound like you could do with a dose of it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,262 ✭✭✭Baron Kurtz

You don't have to listen to him? He's only on tv for an hour on a Sunday? And all the people bemoaning Top Gear. It's fairly simple, don't watch it.

Ah, it's not the one hour on a Sunday that you apparently think those who dislike him force themselves to tune in just lambast him. That is avoidable, of course.

It's the unavoidable media reports when there's a fallout from his tiresome monthly inflammatory comments. He's a jaded moron, constantly looking for attention.

And you don't seem to know what bemoaning means.

• Advertisement

For what it's worth I think May is the best presenter of the three. He's done some excellent stuff away from Top Gear.

+1, James May is the only likeable one of the three, he's not a smugface, unlike the other two. :pac:

Ah, it's not the one hour on a Sunday that you apparently think those who dislike him force themselves to tune in just lambast him. That is avoidable, of course.

It's the unavoidable media reports when there's a fallout from his tiresome monthly inflammatory comments. He's a jaded moron, constantly looking for attention.

And you don't seem to know what bemoaning means.

Unavoidable media reports? They haven't stopped programmes mid way with an emergency update on the situation? On the news there's a fleeting report of about 3-4 minutes.

If you're that easily annoyed that you can't take a quick 4 minute report without bursting into a fit of rage, you could just look away I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,010 ✭✭✭ringadingding

I used to love top gear, until it got too staged and scripted.

No huge hatred for the crew, but I can't fathom how it's still so popular across the world.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭Polo_Mint

Clarkson is an absolute legend and is what makes Top Gear

Without him there is no Top Gear as he cant be replaced so they are at a stalemate.

This will be until the automotive industry start putting pressure on the BBC as they are dependent on Top gear to get there Top end cars seen by millions in a short space of time.

I don't watch it. :) And these days very rarely listen to him, though he's not always avoidable.

Not sure how you got from my post that I spend my time listening to him much at all these days. I used to watch Top Gear and got thoroughly fed up of him. Now all I hear of him is when his latest "controversy" happens as you can't screen everything out if you follow news websites as much as I do. It's always tedious, whatever it is.

Top Gear used to be pretty good. So if people want to bemoan that it's utter shíte now, not much you can do about it. People might sometimes criticise sometime you like. As a presumably grown adult, you should probably learn to deal with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,681 ✭✭✭bodice ripper

Wide Load wrote: »

Banter.

Proper banter.

I don't watch it. :) And these days very rarely listen to him, though he's not always avoidable.

Not sure how you got from my post that I spend my time listening to him much at all these days. I used to watch Top Gear and got thoroughly fed up of him. Now all I hear of him is when his latest "controversy" happens as you can't screen everything out if you follow new websites as much as I do. It's always tedious, whatever it is.

Top Gear used to be pretty good. So if people want to bemoan that it's utter shíte now, not much you can do about it. People might sometimes criticise sometime you like. As a presumably grown adult, you should probably learn to deal with that.

You see the headline of "Clarkson in shocker" and despite not liking the man, you read on, click on the link etc. Odd behaviour.

It's like the people who hear that there was something offending on tv last night, go back and watch the supposed offending program and then get all offended and write a letter to the Ombudsman on how offended they were.

You see the headline of "Clarkson in shocker" and despite not liking the man, you read on, click on the link etc. Odd behaviour.

Here's an example. I like Charlie Brooker, I love his shows, I'll watch them through to the end because Charlie has funny comment diarrhoea and I don't want to miss any of them. He brings up Jeremy Clarkson from time to time, because commenting on stuff in the news is his thing. I'm not switching off a programme I like just because Clarkson appears in it for a few minutes. Incidentally, my favourite description of Clarkson, courtesy of Brooker: Controvagonk. :D

And what I've described above is NOTHING like what you've outlined of people looking for things to be offended by. He doesn't offend me anyway, he's dull more than anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,228 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

I like him, most of the stuff he comes out with is purely for the wind up. He knows how pc the bbc are, so he pokes them with a stick to see what he can get away with. Bit over the top with the british is best stuff though.

As for Top Gear needing to be scrapped or freshened up, the viewing figures decide that, and top gear seems to be doing just fine

• Registered Users Posts: 464 ✭✭The Th!ng

In my opinion Jeremy Clarkson is one of the best things on TV, he should tell the BBC to fcuk off and die.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Polo_Mint wrote: »
    Clarkson is an absolute legend and is what makes Top Gear

Without him there is no Top Gear as he cant be replaced so they are at a stalemate.

This will be until the automotive industry start putting pressure on the BBC as they are dependent on Top gear to get there Top end cars seen by millions in a short space of time.

Ah now! Clarkson himself made the point years back they have no real impact on sales. As for the haters yes you are getting your wish but at what cost? Do you want to live in a world that the opinion writers on the Guardian approve of?

87,000 signatures https://www.change.org/p/bbc-reinstate-jeremy-clarkson

• Registered Users Posts: 1,689 ✭✭✭bur

jimbis wrote: »
    In relation to his past controversial comments. How come the likes of Katie Hopkins talks absolute b*llocks and is put on every tv show, paper, radio station etc and clarkson says his own b*llocks (but sometimes what we're all thinking) and gets lambasted over it?

Because she is a nobody.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

So Top Gear goes and is replaced by what? ....celebrity bowls hosted by Dermot O'Leary or Ant and Decs crazy zany world.....there's a plethora of reality no talent ****e on tv..........let us homophobic, quasi racist non PC folk have our 1 hours entertainment for the week, thankyou

In fairness Tarzana its the usual over-sensitive ninnies who get their collective frilly lingerie in a twist anytime he utters something remotely "offensive"

Hence me putting provocative in inverted commas. There'll always be Mary Whitehouse types. He is just trying to rile these people, yes, but at the expense of actual entertainment, IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭Adamantium

I hope they keep him on just seeing how it is pisses off the PC crowd so much. Top Gear was and still is some genuine fun without an agenda, guys doing predominatly guys dominated things. It has this Indiana Jones/boys own vibe going for it that is rarely seen anymore and even my mother and father would watch it and neither them or I had any overwhelming interest in cars.

Honestly this would be equivalent of Frankie Boyle leaving Mock The Week, an overbearing/non PC and hilarious personality that forced every other comedians game to not previously seen levels that hasn't been since.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

, he's dull more than anything.
    And yet, you've still decided to write quite a lot on him. Odd.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,710 ✭✭✭Joeseph Balls

iDave wrote: »
    Because the latest Ford Focus is way more interesting than a Lamborghini

I guess you havnt seen the new Ford Focus coming out so....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

I think top gear has disimproved remarkably the more scripted it has become. And it seems to be completely scripted now.

As for clarkson, he's a very clever bloke.
    He does the little englander thing well, but it's in jest. Like al Murray, the joke is on the people who think he's being serious and take pride in what he says and, increasingly, on the outrage brigade.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

This will be the worst thing that ever happened to him...

...so it's fortunate that he's probably got a £5m book deal and £10m ITV contract on the horizon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,755 ✭✭✭SeanW

Do you want to live in a world that the opinion writers on the Guardian approve of?
    Yes, that is exactly what the modern Left wants.

Advertisement