Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Angelus on RTE

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭conorh91

It's one minute of reflection.

The anti-Angelus brigade might have had a point when it was explicitly Catholic, but it's now evolved.

I love the one that features the man on the trawler. Very meditative. Good for a bit of the oul mindfulness.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

conorh91 wrote: »
    It's one minute of reflection.

The anti-Angelus brigade might have had a point when it was explicitly Catholic, but it's now evolved.

I love the one that features the man on the trawler. Very meditative. Good for a bit of the oul mindfulness.

"You might be a priest hi, but they're keeping my prayer on file - in a file cyaaabinet!" :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭Letree

Its not a minute of quiet reflection it is a minute of pure racket.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 449 ✭✭CJ Haughey

Alot of old couples do a bit of riding during it, in on the ding and out on the dong.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,621 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

It's incredible to think that the Angelus is still broadcast on RTE in the year 2015. Back in the 90s I thought its days were (rightly) numbered. How wrong I was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

The Angelus is fine by me if it continues to annoy this crowd who spend most of their day looking for any excuse to bash the Catholic Church, and who look down their nose at an older generation, many of whom hold their faith dear to them, as if they are more enlightened or "see through the church". So keep it rolling at 18 hundred hours if it continues to p!ss these people off

What about that Christmas Eh ? I cant go into work for 2 weeks during this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,448 ✭✭✭crockholm

I could have more respect for the people behind the anti-Irish sentiment in past Magazines like "Punch",at least they were quite open about their prejudices, whereas,"The Guardian" being "The Guardian" have to resort to more subtle and less obvious ways of keeping the anti-Irish and anti-popery torches lit.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,534 ✭✭✭KKkitty

Leave it be. It's the only minute I can stare into space during the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭The Golden Miller

It must annoy the anti-Catholic brigade, that they are infact Catholics themselves. I don't particularly give a toss about religion, and am non-practicing, but I was still christened, so am still a Catholic at the end of the day whether I like it or not. Just like 95% of this country. It's only a minute at 6 anyway, so who cares? Get out more if that's all you have to worry about. As long as this country is predominantly Catholic, there will always be some Catholic tradition in it whether people like it or not

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,772 ✭✭✭mg1982

It must annoy the anti-Catholic brigade, that they are infact Catholics themselves. I don't particularly give a toss about religion, and am non-practicing, but I was still christened, so am still a Catholic at the end of the day whether I like it or not. Just like 95% of this country. It's only a minute at 6 anyway, so who cares? Get out more if that's all you have to worry about. As long as this country is predominantly Catholic, there will always be some Catholic tradition in it whether people like it or not

Actually its more like 80 percent who were raised catholic, and if you take into account practicing its 35 or 40 percent in this country. I say myself get the damn thing off the air, we are the only country in europe who plays the angelus on the national broadcaster along with malta or someone. If people want to get there rosary beads out at 6 every evening then go ahead but get it off RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

RobertKK wrote: »
    18 bongs.
    Three sets of three
    Then one set of six.

We only had one bong in our house, I don't smoke as much anymore :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,438 ✭✭✭TwoShedsJackson

They should have a minute of someone repeating 'lumping people who don't think like you into a 'brigade' is one of the laziest debating tactics known' again and again.

K4t wrote: »
    I find these kind of comments intriguing, and somewhat scary; they imply that there is something wrong or strange about being anti-Catholic

Of course there is something wrong with being anti-Catholic from the perspective of a catholic person as it is an attack on Catholic people and their beliefs and pokes fun and mocks things that are important to them.
    The Angelus is fine by me if it continues to annoy this crowd who spend most of their day looking for any excuse to bash the Catholic Church

While I believe that the angelus should never be stopped on RTE for religious reasons, it is a nice bonus that it annoys the anti-Catholic brigade so much.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,592 ✭✭✭drumswan

I see the pro-kiddie fiddler brigade have arrived

Mod: Banned

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Really? That's the level people want to debate this topic on?

"Kiddie-fiddlers" vs. "We'll keep the Angelus just to annoy all those who don't like it"?

• Registered Users Posts: 795 ✭✭✭kingchess

CJ Haughey wrote: »
    Alot of old couples do a bit of riding during it, in on the ding and out on the dong.

Very true,my 93 year old aunt and uncle used to to that once a week,She told my sister all about at the funeral- reckoned her husband would still be alive if that f.....ing ice cream van had called into the estate 5 minutes later,very bitter about it,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,191 ✭✭✭Eugene Norman

murpho999 wrote: »
    No, it has had its day and has no place in the national broadcaster of what is supposed to be a secular state.

It isn't supposed to be that, though. That would need a constitutional change

drumswan wrote: »
    I see the pro-kiddie fiddler brigade have arrived

That really is a terrible terrible attempt at a come back. trying to tar the vast majority with the sins of the few. You would almost think no one ever abused children except priests the way some carry on.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8 Rabid Merlot

It's surely on it's last legs as an institution.
    Holy hour disappeared years ago.
    Good Friday no drinking is apparently being abolished next year.

It takes time for these archaic traditions to die out.
    Only 60 odd years ago Dev was kissing John Charles McQuaid's ring remember.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭Going Strong

crockholm wrote: »
    I could have more respect for the people behind the anti-Irish sentiment in past Magazines like "Punch",at least they were quite open about their prejudices, whereas,"The Guardian" being "The Guardian" have to resort to more subtle and less obvious ways of keeping the anti-Irish and anti-popery torches lit.

It's also depressingly obvious in the BTL comments on CiF how many gobsh*tes know very little about Ireland other than outdated and hackneyed stereotypes but it never stops them getting an airing whenever this country gets a mention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

meh.

If given the choice I would get rid of it but I dont really care, there are more pressing issues to deal with and this would have a bishop running announcing to the world how they are being persecuted and next they'll be sent to camps as usual when they arent given special treatment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

What it comes down to is a free prime time advert worth a hell of a lot of money ahead of some of the most watched programmes in the country.

That's just RTE using public money to promote a de facto state religion. The constitution changed in the 1970s and no longer mentions the Catholic Church having a special place. So, perhaps RTE should catch up!

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

murpho999 wrote: »
    It's not my tradition and should not be forced on you by a broadcaster. If you want to observe a religious event at 12:00 and 18:00 then that's your own business.
    People complain about smoking and drinking restrictions are Nanny state but this is worse in my opinion.

This is worse than smoking or Drinking? Are you for being serious?

Is the mute/off button not working on your TV? Are you saying that throughout the day this is the only time that you hear something on television or radio which you do not like?

I detest cheesy game shows but I find if I don't watch them they don't bother me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭Tarzana2

Of course there is something wrong with being anti-Catholic from the perspective of a catholic person as it is an attack on Catholic people and their beliefs and pokes fun and mocks things that are important to them.

Why would any Catholic secure in their beliefs care? Why the tetchiness?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,028 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

ted1 wrote: »
    If they remove it, How will the full the extra minute before the six one news ?

How about they give that minute to an up and coming moviemaker/storyteller every day and let them express their creativity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

I'd say it comes down to RTE being terrified of rocking the boat and being stuck in a time-warp back to 1961.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Tarzana2 wrote: »
    Why would any Catholic secure in their beliefs care? Why the tetchiness?

One could say the same of the militant athiest crowd, no?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,113 ✭✭✭shruikan2553

conorhal wrote: »
    One could say the same of the militant athiest crowd, no?

Which crowd of them are the militant ones?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Jamsiek

Good Friday no drinking is apparently being abolished next year.
    Hadn't heard that but it's long overdue
    Only 60 odd years ago Dev was kissing John Charles McQuaid's ring remember.
    I had to read that twice :D

Advertisement