Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I still feel that showers will cross the country in that brisk wind before they die out like what Euro4 shows. We'll see.
    A few folk are going to need shovels. Mountainy man I hope your prepared.

336599.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 559 ✭✭✭Joe Doe

Snow risk map says almost 100% chance, right from early with most of the island experiencing snow at rush hour Wed am 09:00+.
    (06:00 if up in the NW). // All apart from extreme S/SE coasts.

Take care on the roads!. Maybe pack a flask, blanket, torch, shovel etc, or call it a 'duvet/remote day'.

wea_snow_wed0900.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,675 ✭✭✭Rougies

Joe Doe wrote: »
    Snow risk map says almost 100% chance, right from early with most of the island experiencing snow at rush hour Wed am 09:00+.
    (06:00 if up in the NW). // All apart from extreme S/SE coasts.

Take care on the roads!. Maybe pack a flask, blanket, torch, shovel etc, or call it a 'duvet/remote day'.

These netweather "snow risk" maps are misleading at best. They are tabloid-style charts and are pretty worthless for forecasting. That's all I'm saying, not trying to downramp or upramp or sideramp. Just be careful that's all (they may be complete crap, but that's a maybe) ;)

EDIT: latest hirlam showing a decent trough moving south over the country early Thurs morning. Could be interesting.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Morning everyone! *yawn*

On track. Euro 4 tomorrow midnight - only indicative

15012900_2_2700.gif

15012900_2_2700.gif
    Cold continues until at least Monday on current projections. Snow at times especially in the north.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Is there a good chance of snow for kerry in the next few days..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Got my food supplies in today, going to nip over the mountain to Arigna to get coal tomorrow then it can do whatever the *@#k it wants then. I have brought my shovel indoors, It should be interesting. The very last of the previous snow disapeared this morning, it was from the roof avalanche and had frozen hard on the ground.

lol... heading out myself shortly to get coal more than anything else as food stocks are still good...I remember Arigna for coal way back. Will come back via the high lands near Carrantouill to see what is left up there. Then hunkering down in case. Have raised the coal to two 40 kg sacks.. all I can afford. Kind ll finally brought me many bags of logs after the last blast. Payment for secretarial work. Barter!

kmoneill wrote: »
    Is there a good chance of snow for kerry in the next few days..

At low levels the southwest is much more marginal than the rest of the country. Depends on your ASL really (Altitude above sea level). Any kind of height and it's highly likely you will get snow.

Thats just for that particular hour. Plenty of snow showers over Donegal before then.

Still giving thanks I moved south!

Graces7 wrote: »
    lol... heading out myself shortly to get coal more than anything else as food stocks are still good..

What is your ASL Graces7, or do you know? If at sea level it's really not needed to get supplies. I hope some don't panic - there is nothing all that bad going to occur - and I, or we, don't want to give that impression. If you are in the southwest the snow level will be higher regardless.

At low levels the southwest is much more marginal than the rest of the country. Depends on your ASL really (Altitude above sea level). Any kind of height and it's highly likely you will get snow.

OK; all will be ready here by afternoon, around 400 ft asl although the usual pattern is that I get a wonderful view from the kitchen sink but no real disruption. Whatever. we are ready...or will be later! Not going anywhere after today for at least a week

• Advertisement

What is your ASL Graces7, or do you know? If at sea level it's really not needed to get supplies. I hope some don't panic - there is nothing all that bad going to occur - and I, or we, don't want to give that impression.

Around 400 asl.. and please be sure I am not panicking or worried. I am a mile down a very shonky private lane and even an inch of snow would isolate. Also disabled so am always well stocked. Sometimes not well enough for out for days and i have critters to feed. Today is for coal mostly as no one delivers up here. And fun! Want to see what Carrantouill is like still. Then I can sit back and watch! I think most of us rural dwellers keep well stocked . I was ten years on a tiny island and learned good habits.

Tomorrow.. met ie

Tomorrow, Wednesday, will be cold and windy with wintry showers in the north and west at first, becoming widespread over the country later, leading to accumulations of snow, especially over hills and mountains of the west and north. Temperatures will be 3 or 4 degrees at best during the afternoon but only 1 or 2 degrees in the north of the country. Westerly winds will be fresh to strong and gusty and gale force at sea.

Regional forecast not up yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,910 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

The charts have swung back overnight to a shorter cold spell.
    Fizzling by Tuesday as proper heights fail to nudge north.
    Our old friend the azores is lurking

Ecm is vile long term

• Registered Users Posts: 6,162 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Ecm is vile long term

How is it looking in the short term? Are cork snow chances as marginal as ever?

Munster met ie Tomorrow

Tomorrow, Wednesday, will be cold with wintry showers. Temperatures will be between 3 and 5 degrees at best and winds will be fresh to strong and gusty, reaching gale force at times along exposed western coasts. Wintry showers will bring accumulations of snow, especially over hills and mountains.

How is it looking in the short term? Are cork snow chances as marginal as ever?

The short term for cork is looking fine
    Snow arrives a bit later.....looking like we'd night now. With a bit of luck could lay for a few days..
    dangerous roads throughout at night.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 kmoneill

Thanks .im 170 metres above sea level..

Ecm is vile long term

One chart - 120 hrs in a brisk northerly

ECM0-120.GIF?27-12

I wouldn't take post this very seriously atm. There is more than a hint of developments that may prolong this but it's not determined yet. Just don't take it too seriously long term for now.

kmoneill wrote: »
    Thanks .im 170 metres above sea level..

It's going to snow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

The short term for cork is looking fine
    Snow arrives a bit later.....looking like we'd night now. With a bit of luck could lay for a few days..
    dangerous roads throughout at night.

Hi. Sorry for dragging up the old boring Cork questions again but since Cork is such a big county...

Kids are driving me mad as all their cousins up the country have had snow; what's the likelihood of West Cork, about 10 miles inland from Clonakilty. I know that's quite specific but is it mainly further north in the county that will do well? I'm really trying to play down expectations.

Great job everyone btw. Great reading.

• Advertisement

It's going to snow.

On which note I will hit the road before it does just that :D

The Peanut wrote: »
    Hi. Sorry for dragging up the old boring Cork questions again but since Cork is such a big county...

Kids are driving me mad as all their cousins up the country have had snow; what's the likelihood of West Cork, about 10 miles inland from Clonakilty. I know that's quite specific but is it mainly further north in the county that will do well? I'm really trying to play down expectations.

Great job everyone btw. Great reading.

Chances increase as we go through Wed.
    I would think early Thursday morning will surely have snow in your location

Chances increase as we go through Wed.
    I would think early Thursday morning will surely have snow in your location

Looking at latest Hirlam we should be fine for precipitation. Are temps and dps going to be ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Well MT's forecast knocks any predictions out of the park for the East at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭legomaniac

A very ordinary forecast there from MT. No alerts. No talk of several cms of snow etc. I think yet again many many people including myself will be disappointed. When MT uses the phrase melting snow by the coast, I know it's game over. Ah well at least I will get my trees planted this week.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

legomaniac wrote: »
    A very ordinary forecast there from MT. No alerts. No talk of several cms of snow etc. I think yet again many many people including myself will be disappointed. When MT uses the phrase melting snow by the coast, I know it's game over. Ah well at least I will get my trees planted this week.

MT forecast hasn't changed leg. It was the same yesterday. He thinks Snow will melt except for higher terrain in the North while the met office fc 5-10cm even for lower ground in northern ireland . Let's set what the Irish met think of it later before you go planting trees.

I think the met.ie may release an amber warning for Donegal later. Mt Didn't really back the snow a few weeks ago either when parts of Donegal got in excess of 20cm. 16cm with me. I think he gave 1-3cm so all is not lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

The Azores High is killing this winter. It's the schoolyard bully this year, butting in when it is least wanted, extending it's reach well beyond the Azores. Fine in July, bring it on, but in January, for coldies, no thanks.

It retreats a bit to allow this short sharp cold snap, then back again.

Met Eireann have their warning up. wouldn't be surprised if this went orange for Donegal and up the north west by tomorrow with yellow for elsewhere.

Snow-ice Warning for Ireland

Wintry showers will bring snow accumulations of up to 3 cm at lower levels during Wednesday and through Thursday, all areas at risk. Showers will be most frequent in the west and north and over hills and mountains with higher accumulations expected there.
    Issued:
    Tuesday 27 January 2015 07:00
    Valid:
    Wednesday 28 January 2015 06:00 to Thursday 29 January 2015 23:00

• Registered Users Posts: 8,539 ✭✭✭Speak Now

Ecm is vile long term

All FI stuff as it always was, Wednesday/Thursday still as is for west and North. Everyone else just sticking their tongue out in hope :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,139 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

All FI stuff as it always was, Wednesday/Thursday still as is for west and North. Everyone else just sticking their tongue out in hope :)

Considering the weather warning is valid for all parts of the country, I'm inclined to disagree.
    Don't get you hope up if your away from the west and north coast tho.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement