Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

But cork is in the west of the country?! We should see snow showers with plenty of showers forecast.

Eh we're in the south....? Last time I checked anyway - the city I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Of course I have to be in the only Green part of Donegal in Maguiladoras map.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Did anyone notice the summary graphic on the RTE weather forecasts shows the winds on Tueaday to Saturday as howling from the EAST !!!!!

Don't know about that, but just for fun, the GSM025 has a possible snow event for the east coast next Monday night as a trough moves down into the Irish Sea.

336576.PNG

Would put a big question mark over that for now though.

New Moon

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

Do you think West Wicklow will have a chance of some snow?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

Bbc weather for the week ahead. Cold to linger in to next week according to their fc http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/30995308

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Pangea wrote: »
    Of course I have to be in the only Green part of Donegal in Maguiladoras map.

Thats just for that particular hour. Plenty of snow showers over Donegal before then.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,716 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Bbc weather for the week ahead. Cold to linger in to next week according to their fc http://www.bbc.com/weather/features/30995308

on that forecast they showed a nice wedge of snow moving south across eastern counties this saturday. alot can change between now and then tho.

• Registered Users Posts: 981 ✭✭✭mountainy man

Got my food supplies in today, going to nip over the mountain to Arigna to get coal tomorrow then it can do whatever the *@#k it wants then. I have brought my shovel indoors, It should be interesting. The very last of the previous snow disapeared this morning, it was from the roof avalanche and had frozen hard on the ground.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

FWVT wrote: »
    That's brought us all down back to earth! can it be hard to predict how far inland the shower activity gets?

The model accumulated precip is pretty accurate and does reflect where the bulk of the precipitation looks like falling. For showers to survive inland we need a forcing mechanism, e.g. an upper shortwave, strong shear, etc., and these seem lacking. Strong deep layer shear in the southern half of the country, but that is where other conditions are less favourable.

We will see the remains of some showers making it across the country, but at that stage they will be dissipating all the while as they run out of juice.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

Is it going to snow on my street in Dublin?

Only kidding, always love the pre snow hype, extra hyped up watching Fox News coverage of "Blizzard'15"!! Great input from everyone here about our potential snowmaggedon, thanks to all who post.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Carnacalla wrote: »
    Another non-event screamer. We shall see if its a non event afterwards. I respect your point about the easterlies,but everything is not focused on the east coast and their is nothing stopping Dublin getting snow.

May I add, when Dublin did get an easterly, all I heard was aload of depressed calls to Joe Duffy:)

A non event screamer. Ha I've heard it all now. I'm actually bigging it up. Care to read my previous posts. I was answering a question about Dublin prospects. Thanks for the chuckle though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭John.Icy

If I got a euro for everytime it's been asked will the East/South/Dublin etc get any snow when it's been addressed at least 5 times per page and the places most at risk are in the thread title, I'd have enough money to send all the coldies on here to Canada for a few weeks.

:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Redsunset wrote: »
    A non event screamer. Ha I've heard it all now. I'm actually bigging it up. Care to read my previous posts. I was answering a question about Dublin prospects. Thanks for the chuckle though.

I have previously said how annoying it is for people to say everything is a non event. Sure its okay to say it, but the minute any not of snow it on the horizon the word "non event" is passed back and forward like there is no tomorrow. You can't tell the weather exactly and the northerly wind looks like it may even turn easterly next week, some non event.

I'm not back seat modding, I'm not trying to flare up an argument. I'm saying its rather negative and you can't really use the word I'm any meaningful conversation about forecasting weather further than two days away.

I had posted about me going beserk before, but somehow it was deleted without explanation.

Anyway the snow looks more promising than all winter. Hopefully the country will get a nice comprehensive covering of lasting snow, but the chances of that are always very limited:)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

What sort of depths are we looking at for the North West? I see DWC saying up to thirty cms, seems a bit ambitious.

What sort of depths are we looking at for the North West? I see DWC saying up to thirty cms, seems a bit ambitious.

Thirty would be Interesting....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,516 ✭✭✭irish1967

I think he may have taken cms an thought theyvwere inches and covered them to cms again 😉

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Got my food supplies in today, going to nip over the mountain to Arigna to get coal tomorrow then it can do whatever the *@#k it wants then. I have brought my shovel indoors, It should be interesting. The very last of the previous snow disapeared this morning, it was from the roof avalanche and had frozen hard on the ground.

Are you going to mine the coal yourself? :)

Carnacalla, look the thread is only for the event on Wednesday and Thursday. Next week yes looks more appealing as towards maybe an easterly. Now leave it at that.

Carnacalla, look the thread is only for the event on Wednesday and Thursday. Next week yes looks more appealing as towards maybe an easterly. Now leave it at that.

Im fine with that. I may just leave this here.
    Ahem!
    uksnowrisk.png
    my god, its beautiful.

For those living east and South east. The North and West is best folks in these set ups. Dublin nearly always needs a raw easterly to experience copious amouts of snow. Not saying you won't see any but will be alot less than what others will experience so non event for many.

And I'll just leave this here again. If it's read properly it makes perfect sense. That is all.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

ECM CAPE, thickness and 850 hPa temp at 00Z Thursday. No energy to sustain the showers inland.

ecm0125_millikort_msl_cape_gh1000-500_t850_2015012600_060.png

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

The voice of reason as always SC,without it from the likes of yourself,Maq & others this place would be in mayhem :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Probably around 5-10cm. A bit more on hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 845 ✭✭✭tylercollins

I guess I'm in a good location then for all this snow :P

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

@FWVT

can't post links but the Euro4 Hi Res for Wednesday night shows quite a bit of snow, particularly for the northern half of the country so one of them is going to be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 655 ✭✭✭RED L4 0TH

Looking at the GFS & Euro4, the DP's appear to go over the edge of a cliff from around 6am Wednesday. On the Euro4 they are +2 to +4 in the West at 3am, then are -4 at 6am.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,674 ✭✭✭Rougies

@FWVT

can't post links but the Euro4 Hi Res for Wednesday night shows quite a bit of snow, particularly for the northern half of the country so one of them is going to be wrong.

I'm not sure if you know, but FWVT's chart is not a precip. chart.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭Easterly Beasterly

Rougies wrote: »
    I'm not sure if you know, but FWVT's chart is not a precip. chart.

well that would explain the difference. I learn so much from this forum!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Seems like its hit or miss with the outlooks for the East of the country. Everyone is predicting precip but the temperature values are varying from sub zero to +5. Also Wednesday is favourable with some, while Thursday with others.

Nowcasting will be the way to go for the Eastern side. This thread will be invaluable as have all the other threads. I better stock up on Tassimo pods and Mountain Dew, i see a few late, late nights coming up this week.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

I'm looking forward to see how this breaks down. Prehaps some snow for the east when the direction canges from NW to N to maybe a slight NE. With a small trough in the Irish see.

Definitely a lot of model watching ahead.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement