Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

Some areas in the south and east will get almost no precip while the Atlantic coast will get pasted. This is water-equivalent precip total (mm) from today up to 12Z Saturday. The brightest blue in the south relates to just 1 mm of precip. This would equate to a max of around 2 cm of snow if it all fell as snow. Tens of cms in along the Atlantic, however.

336568.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

For those in the South East obviously we are not in the best location when it comes to a North Westerly but with winds near gale force i would be relatively confident of a least some shower activity. A very similar set up in Feb. 2013 delivered a few cm's of lying snow in Waterford City. Wednesday evening should make for interesting radar watching.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

Interesting view on the 3d GFS model of the cold airmass approaching us.

Click anim on the left when the 3d model loads.

http://www.meteociel.fr/modeles/gfse_3d.php?lat=53.9&lon=-7.65&ech=6&zoom=3.4

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

For those in the South East obviously we are not in the best location when it comes to a North Westerly but with winds near gale force i would be relatively confident of a least some shower activity. A very similar set up in Feb. 2013 delivered a few cm's of lying snow in Waterford City. Wednesday evening should make for interesting radar watching.

www.waterfordweather.com

Count me in!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭hollster2

http://www.earthcam.com/usa/newyork/timessquare/?cam=tsrobo3 coming down strong now in NewYork wow!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

FWVT wrote: »
    Some areas in the south and east will get almost no precip while the Atlantic coast will get pasted. This is water-equivalent precip total (mm) from today up to 12Z Saturday. The brightest blue in the south relates to just 1 mm of precip. This would equate to a max of around 2 cm of snow if it all fell as snow. Tens of cms in along the Atlantic, however.

That's brought us all down back to earth! can it be hard to predict how far inland the shower activity gets?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

That's brought us all down back to earth! can it be hard to predict how far inland the shower activity gets?

Yeah it depends on how strong the trough is to keep showers active as they cross the country , this time round its looks to be alot better than last few chances imo , but still will come down to radar watch i think for us in the East and further south.
    :cool:
    45-454UK_gmv0.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 5 guitd

I have an outdoor event at noon on Wednesday foe about 2 hours in Galway city what would the experts on here forecast what it will be doing around that time dry/rain/snow ???? tks

• Registered Users Posts: 5,068 ✭✭✭Iancar29

guitd wrote: »
    I have an outdoor event at noon on Wednesday foe about 2 hours in Galway city what would the experts on here forecast what it will be doing around that time dry/rain/snow ???? tks

borderline sleet/snow showers as its the middle of the day , will all depend on the temp/dewpoint spread.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Iancar29 wrote: »
    Yeah it depends on how strong the trough is to keep showers active as they cross the country , this time round its looks to be alot better than last few chances imo , but still will come down to radar watch i think for us in the East and further south.
    :cool:

We got a lot of snow recently and only a dusting forecast. Will be all
    radar watching from Wednesday afternoon on. I think we'll do ok though. We usually do from the north west here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,639 ✭✭✭✭nacho libre

While not likely to be as epic as December 2010, this still looks like a great event to experience. I would love to be there for it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 288 ✭✭ken76

Any update with these charts on the outlook for Dublin? I'm not sure what I'm looking at 😯 many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Interesting few days ahead. Faster and more potent than the last N/W outbreak, I would expect NI and down the Western seaboard to fare the best but nowhere to be ruled out. Radar watching and reports on here is the order of the day on this. Enjoy the ride!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

For those living east and South east. The North and West is best folks in these set ups. Dublin nearly always needs a raw easterly to experience copious amouts of snow. Not saying you won't see any but will be alot less than what others will experience so non event for many.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

Donegal will be the place to be!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Now, hows clare looking?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Redsunset wrote: »
    For those living east and South east. The North and West is best folks in these set ups. Dublin nearly always needs a raw easterly to experience copious amouts of snow. Not saying you won't see any but will be alot less than what others will experience so non event for many.

It's definitely an event for the west and north, no doubt about that. I think most will see some snow though through this period.

This is the first phase of a cold snap that is open ended for the moment. Plenty of chances to come for everyone over the next 5 days at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭coconnellz

maybe i might use the 8 euro bus eireann direct ticket to donegal

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭smallwonder

Donegal will be the place to be!

When do you think this event will hit us? Will it be early or late on Wednesday?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

yeah i think on this one the and north and west will do well but i can see the midlands and northeast getting a good dusting.
    but so far this winter has been great for the north and west.

• Advertisement

When do you think this event will hit us? Will it be early or late on Wednesday?

Rain turning to snow before noon.

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭joe199

Heading to Manchester friday morning lads till Sunday eve how's the likelyhood of seeing some of the white stuff?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

Couldn't have made it any better than this

15012812_2612.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭joe199

Heading to Manchester friday morning lads till Sunday eve how's the likelyhood of seeing some of the white stuff?

Latest HIRLAM showing snow showers reaching further inland by late Wednesday though still falling as rain (green) in parts of the west and southwest.

f8USboM.png

Redsunset wrote: »

Another non-event screamer. We shall see if its a non event afterwards. I respect your point about the easterlies,but everything is not focused on the east coast and their is nothing stopping Dublin getting snow.

May I add, when Dublin did get an easterly, all I heard was aload of depressed calls to Joe Duffy:)

• Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭vizualpics

I reckon there will be some streamer activity off the Atlantic in the North West aswell with the strong winds and temp difference. We got some great streamers back in the 2010/2011 event, coming in through Killala Bay, North Mayo. Will be interesting to watch!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

GSM precipitation forecast for Wednesday midnight:

336575.PNG

With the scale of those showers ramming up against those western & northern hills we hopefully will see some nice lightning displays during the night.

Image from Vedur.is

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did anyone notice the summary graphic on the RTE weather forecasts shows the winds on Tueaday to Saturday as howling from the EAST !!!!!

• Advertisement

Did anyone notice the summary graphic on the RTE weather forecasts shows the winds on Tuesday to Saturday as howling from the EAST !!!!!

I did actually. I was wondering if it was an error or what.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement