Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Gonzo wrote: »
    looks like very little to see here for eastern coastal counties once again and back to mild from next Tuesday, meh!
    Story of the winter so far,with Jan running out & only Feb to deliver any goods this winter may go down as one of those to forget :(

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Snow can fall and regularly does into Late March so keep your hat on...However easterly/north-easterly winds are becoming a rare beast I must admit.

In central Europe/Eastern Europe they are having a very mild winter by their standards with positive day time temperatures averaging 3 or 4 degrees for many places.

Unless an easterly/north-easterly wind set in cities like Dublin/Belfast do quite poorly in terms of streamers from west/northwest... temperatures are usually lower in both of these cities that in other urban areas of Ireland like Cork/Galway/Limerick but precipitation is far less.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭icesnowfrost

c'mon guys, this winter has produced loads of snow just not much if any in the east or northeast but the north and west has had plenty. remenber last winter had the nickname "the winter that snow forgot" and that was because of NO snow only mild muck and storms.......this winter has been great in terms of snowfall but bad for us in the east and north east.
    by the way its still jan, and feb can produce alot of snow and i think it will with the way winter has gone so far.
    the north east will have its time soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

ON TOPIC PLEASE

This thread is for discussing the upcoming snow potential, not moaning about where you live or discussing population distribution.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭ThaitaniumM

Last time I checked there were people living here in the west of ireland,a couple of thousand.

Like myself, how are we faring for snow?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

c'mon guys, this winter has produced loads of snow just not much if any in the east or northeast but the north and west has had plenty. remenber last winter had the nickname "the winter that snow forgot" and that was because of NO snow only mild muck and storms.......this winter has been great in terms of snowfall but bad for us in the east and north east.
    by the way its still jan, and feb can produce alot of snow and i think it will with the way winter has gone so far.
    the north east will have its time soon :)

Absolutely, I got my fix anyway!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,310 ✭✭✭Trogdor

Like myself, how are we faring for snow?
    See maquiladora's post from this morning.
    Looking at the HIRLAM, the northwest and parts of the west could see up to around 10cm by Wednesday night. Elsewhere about 1-3cm, depending on where showers end up before dying out. Wouldn't expect anything more than a dusting for some southern or eastern parts.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

Hmmm.

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201501280900&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201501281200&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201501281500&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201501281800&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201501282100&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

images.aspx?jaar=-6&type=europa.precip&datum=201501290000&cultuur=en-GB&continent=europa

legend.precip-hor.png

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭flanzer

Super-Rush wrote: »
    Hmmm.

Go home meteoradar, you're drunk

• Registered Users Posts: 19,473 ✭✭✭✭Super-Rush

flanzer wrote: »

That pattern continues well into Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

flanzer wrote: »

who knows until Friday! also ties in with what out met service are currently saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭vistafinder

Absolutely, I got my fix anyway!

Same here it was magic!

When it melted at low level like yourself I headed for high ground.

Anything else is a bonus.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

At 20-25kms inland I'm hoping to get something out of this event. I got a decent 4-5cms of powdery snow mixed with pellets recently but it had thawed by late afternoon.

I'm not expecting too much at about 300m inland, only got some hail last time.
    But we'll wait and see.
    On the TV weather after the one news it looks like warming up a little bit Friday before cooling down again though the weekend.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,816 ✭✭✭Baggy Trousers

Same here it was magic!

When it melted at low level like yourself I headed for high ground.

Anything else is a bonus.

Yeah, you have to really want it! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

I'm a huge fan of MTs forecasts and what he does for us for free but I wonder if having overplayed snow events previously he has resolved to be more conservative this winter? A few examples of that to date. He could be right (in general you won't lose too much money betting on rain in Ireland) but I genuinely don't think his forecast reflects the models or, more importantly, the local knowledge we have of how these events have played out before. Let's see though. As always I'm gormlessly optimistic!

I think we need to remember where MT is and that today is coloured by the massive falls there. My Canadian family are not affected thankfully but friends in eg I think they said Toronto and Ottawa...it is a worrying time there and Ireland is very "small beer" by comparison.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

Euro 4

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Just in from provisioning and a day of..... weather.. This is met for tomorrow for Munster Tomorrow, Wednesday, will be cold with wintry showers. Temperatures will be between 3 and 5 degrees at best and winds will be fresh to strong and gusty, reaching gale force at times along exposed western coasts, adding a significant wind chill factor to the low temperatures. Wintry showers will bring accumulations of snow, especially over hills and mountains. Went up to the car park at Lislelbane at the start of that Carrantouil trail and had a picnic watching the weather change from bright warm sun to thick cloud with partial rainbows splitting the sky and now heavy mist and low cloud. Rain as I drove across Ballaghbeama The peaks at Carrantouil are still strewn with snow.. a glorious sight. and exactly what all the forecasts said was going to happen of course today and yes like spring.. even a few midges in one place near town. :eek: So let us see what tonight brings and enjoy the balmy evening! PS apologies for poor presentation.. aged laptop and enter has exited so no paragraphs...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 7,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭pistolpetes11

All The Rubbish Off Topic Posts have been removed

• Registered Users Posts: 605 ✭✭✭ffarrell7

Apparently the snowmageddon they were expecting in New York City didn't materialise. They were expecting up to 60 cm but it seems according to lots of sources including my Niece that only 12-15 cm has fallen...stilll nice but it could have been a lot worse. I imagine Boston and upper state NY got a lot more...they usually do.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

ffarrell7 wrote: »
    Apparently the snowmageddon they were expecting in New York City didn't materialise. They were expecting up to 60 cm but it seems according to lots of sources including my Niece that only 12-15 cm has fallen...stilll nice but it could have been a lot worse. I imagine Boston and upper state NY got a lot more...they usually do.

a full post without any mention of dublin? i didn't think it was possible ffarrell7!

Boston got badly hit by all accounts but New York escaped the worst of it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭noobsnow95

Would anyone be able to tell me what sort of precipitation I should expect just outside Limerick city tomorrow? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 23,546 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

The cold air is on it's way now, will be here early tomorrow morning. The cold front as it passes through in the late early hours could have some back edge snow for a time. And then the fun begins with the heavy showers really packing in to the northwest and west and spreading right across the country merging at times to longer periods of snow especially in the northwest. This continues tomorrow night and for Thursday - in fact the showers only look to intensify further later tomorrow night so some significant accumulations in the west and north but also accumulations elsewhere too. Only caveat is the far southwest where it's near marginal at times but should be some snow here too.

An interesting 48 hours ahead. The snow showers are in the nursery off the southeast of Greenland.

http://www.sat24.com/en/eu?ir=true

• Registered Users Posts: 11,134 ✭✭✭✭maquiladora

12Z HIRLAM shows showers turning back to rain again in the northwest from 10am Thursday morning. So low level accumulations may be fairly short lived.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

noobsnow95 wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to tell me what sort of precipitation I should expect just outside Limerick city tomorrow? Thanks

Showers starting off as cold rain or sleet with sleety snow more likely to fall later in the afternoon and evening would be my reckoning.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Beeb chart for tomorrow evening. Certainly some areas, especially the NW/N could do alright but for my part of the west at least, I am seeing nothing more that a cold, sloppy, messy sort of day. Will be keeping a hopeful eye on the western sky though for some lightning flashes tomorrow night if the showers are big enough. :)

screenshot_5.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

12Z HIRLAM shows showers turning back to rain again in the northwest from 10am Thursday morning. So low level accumulations may be fairly short lived.

after all this build up, typical. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

Pangea wrote: »
    after all this build up, typical. :(

Gerry Murphy must be relieved.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,033 ✭✭✭redsteveireland

Oneiric 3 wrote: »
    Beeb chart for tomorrow evening. Certainly some areas, especially the NW/N could do alright but for my part of the west at least, I am seeing nothing more that a cold, sloppy, messy sort of day. Will be keeping a hopeful eye on the western sky though for some lightning flashes tomorrow night if the showers are big enough. :)

screenshot_5.png

I think it's time to let it go, Tuam is not getting the dream thundersnow you long for. :-D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 922 ✭✭✭FWVT

This is the comparison of the Hirlam and Euro4 for 00Z Thursday. Bear in mind that the Euro4 total is for 3 hours while the Hirlam is only 1 hour, however it does show that the Hirlam is more of a wintry mix than full-on snow (orange = sleet, green = rain).

336663.png

In fact, the 12Z GFS soundings are not as cold as they were two days ago. Below are soundings for around eastern Galway and north Kildare. The warm surface layer is touching 3 °C and a bit deep, and is on the border of marginal. The theta wet bulb temperature, which is the most important, is sticking its head just above zero, which casts a slight doubt on snow to 0 amsl. Further north of this Galway-Dublin line conditions are much more favourable.

Galway
    sondagegfs_39_14_36_0_1422382508.png

North Kildare
    sondagegfs_97_26_36_0_1422382475.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

so if we get low-level snow from late tomorrow afternoon until thursday morning i'd take that, for the west that's not short lived

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement