Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

COLD SPELL Jan 28th Onwards: Wintry Showers/Frosty, Some Snow Accumulations

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 230 ✭✭AnotherYear

The obligatory downgrade has begun for the rest of us not in those regions..:cool:

It's only out to 6pm on Wednesday. Still plenty of time after that for other parts of the country. The North and NW was always going to get it first.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

I also expect a good rash of some hefty showers to make alot of progress inland in this set up due to a fairly strong wind, right through to Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Can't wait to put the winter tyres on my bike tomorrow evening, they're feeling really lonely sitting in the garage, unloved all winter. :(
    The poor things pine for the good old years of 10 and 11 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭typhoony

the cold weather has only just started to dig in during Wednesday afternoon, no real downgrades as the real action only gets started Wednesday evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Redsunset wrote: »
    I also expect a good rash of some hefty showers to make alot of progress inland in this set up due to a fairly strong wind, right through to Friday.

its looks much more potent i.e. more shower activity than the last event. once conditions right for snow which they appear to be we should be laughing (and snowman building)!

also we are now getting into more reliable timeframe. hopefully ecm continues similar pattern.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭yorlum11

its looks much more potent i.e. more shower activity than the last event. once conditions right for snow which they appear to be we should be laughing (and snowman building)!

also we are not getting into more reliable timeframe. hopefully ecm continues similar pattern.

I would agree, the angle, origin and speed of attack seems better suited. Beefier more prolonged showers is what I would think. Fingers crossed for the ECM.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,235 ✭✭✭lucernarian

This is shaping up to be another big event for the Atlantic seaboard and Connaught and west Ulster in general. But casting my mind back to February 2006 and the northerlies that brought -10 850hPa air over Ireland, non western coastal counties and some midland ones too, saw frequent 10 or 20 minute snow showers that melted away very quickly. Some severe wind chill though! Either way I won't expect accumulations for Dublin or surrounding counties, outside of the usual mountainous areas. Hopefully we shall see lots of photos on the photo forum from our western correspondents :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,170 ✭✭✭WheatenBriar

FI but Tuesday next (a week tomorrow)in the northerly flow, there are more hints of disturbance heading south in the Irish sea,can ye keep looking for events like that in the flow because it will enhance snow falling by then from Louth to Rosslare if modeled correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 2,886 ✭✭✭JanuarySnowstor

Upgrades continue this evening regarding the length of cold spell
    Looks like at least a week now of fun and games.

I would expect several inches of lying snow by Thursday morning.
    The best part is it could still be on the ground a week later
    Enjoy folks

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

When you get a weather warning two days in advance you just know your in for a bit of sneachta:P

• Advertisement

Upgrades continue this evening regarding the length of cold spell
    Looks like at least a week now of fun and games.

I would expect several inches of lying snow by Thursday morning.
    The best part is it could still be on the ground a week later
    Enjoy folks

I'd be getting a good rest Tuesday night. Wednesday night could be a long one!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,565 ✭✭✭Pangea

Carnacalla wrote: »
    When you get a weather warning two days in advance you just know your in for a bit of sneachta:P

or an epic let down :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,836 ✭✭✭dacogawa

Carnacalla wrote: »

Yes, I can't remember ME putting anything marginal up this early :O

nat02_weather.png?1704

Gerry Murphy on RtE just now,the graphics suggest continous snow showers wenesday night into Thursday across the north and west,it's all shaded
    Epic stuff over there

Pangea wrote: »
    or an epic let down :D

positive thoughts Pangea! yes it could go wrong but all the signals look positive. not looking for snowmageddon just a fews cm's during daylight house and maybe lasting a couple of days.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭delw

Gonzo wrote: »
    It just so happens im going to Galway on Sunday so if it snows here im going to miss it!
    Will you bring the Eastern snow shield with you,patiences starting to wear thin around here for snow :D

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭space2ground1

Is it worth spending time following this for the next couple of days for the South Easterners here? I know that we do better from easterlies and it's often a nowcast here at times like this. Are there signs that this could push through the Derry/Dungarvan line that generally disappoints me?

I don't think I can put another few days of model watching in and be disappointed again! :) Id prefer to be realistic, just not sure what realistic is here for Waterford/Wexford.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Johnnysneachta

Gerry Murphy on RtE just now,the graphics suggest continous snow showers wenesday night into Thursday across the north and west,it's all shaded
    Epic stuff over there

Gerry must be gone mad!! Doesn't like forecasting snow

Is it worth spending time following this for the next couple of days for the South Easterners here? I know that we do better from easterlies and it's often a nowcast here at times like this. Are there signs that this could push through the Derry/Dungarvan line that generally disappoints me?

I don't think I can put another few days of model watching in and be disappointed again! :) Id prefer to be realistic, just not sure what realistic is here for Waterford/Wexford.
    Ah keep a watch on the radar during this and see but realistically the SE is not in the hot seat this time
    Keep an eye on the FI thread though as that may change

I'm bowing out now due to time commitments, but I'll be back next week to see how ye are all getting on :D I'll report snow down S Wicklow way if I see any
    Enjoy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,693 ✭✭✭Redsunset

Roll on Wednesday. Look at that finger of 510 true Arctic air protruding into the Atlantic. Great feed.

fax36s_xup1.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,464 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Coming in to high resolution range now - 48 hrs, 12 pm Wednesday

15012812_2_2612.gif

Dew points

15012812_2_2612.gif

Temperature

15012812_2_2612.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 344 ✭✭spygirl

So how long before it's known about snow for Dublin Kildare areas??? Or am I just going to be on frost and ice watch. Bit of night time driving to do Thursday and Friday so how concerned should I be?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

Come on who gave Gerry a ramp???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Nabber

What a difference a day makes. 24 little hours

ECU0-24.GIF?26-0

ECU0-48.GIF?26-0

Could get a tad windy in places too.
    ECU4-72.GIF

• Registered Users Posts: 14,244 ✭✭✭✭leahyl

This looks to be just the north and West getting the majority of it - am I right? If so then.....MEH!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭BLIZZARD7

Euro 4 model also shows lower 850hpa temps on wednesday with -8's fairly widespread and -9C just touching the far north west. :) big upgrades on the models today for later on in the weekend and early next week with even colder air pushing in... Hopefully this is the start of a prolonged cold spell.

leahyl wrote: »
    This looks to be just the north and West getting the majority of it - am I right? If so then.....MEH!

But cork is in the west of the country?! We should see snow showers with plenty of showers forecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,108 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

leahyl wrote: »
    This looks to be just the north and West getting the majority of it - am I right?

Hopefully you are ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I wonder is it worth looking in BA for hotel deals in the west:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭Mayo_Boy

Will Mayo and Sligo get a fair dusting of snow?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement