Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Has anyone looked at the step by step process on appeals?

http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Global/examdocs/online%20shop%20-%20step%20by%20step%20guide.pdf

Basically, you're making the appeal online using the institute's shop. Take a look at step 7 where they suggest to you that if there are other items you'd like to PURCHASE, you can click CONTINUE SHOPPING. Of course, sure it's nearly Christmas time, I just love shopping with my girlies.

Are they for real? Seriously, who made this system? Do they realise how utterly humiliating and unfitting this is?

There are people on here who are about to lose their jobs, have enoromous debt, and families to take care of, and the institute treats it like some measly purchase. Wow guys, and you are the ones deeming us to be incompetent. Just wow.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Has anyone looked at the step by step process on appeals?

http://students.charteredaccountants.ie/Global/examdocs/online%20shop%20-%20step%20by%20step%20guide.pdf

Basically, you're making the appeal online using the institute's shop. Take a look at step 7 where they suggest to you that if there are other items you'd like to PURCHASE, you can click CONTINUE SHOPPING. Of course, sure it's nearly Christmas time, I just love shopping with my girlies.

Are they for real? Seriously, who made this system? Do they realise how utterly humiliating and unfitting this is?

There are people on here who are about to lose their jobs, have enoromous debt, and families to take care of, and the institute treats it like some measly purchase. Wow guys, and you are the ones deeming us to be incompetent. Just wow.

Dellboy are you cosidering appealing ?

Failed both and feel absolute crap inside . Dreading the thought of going back to work on Monday .

cant get my head around how I managed to get green in Finance ?

The rest all yellows and big red in BL
    Decile 7 sufficiency 1

I guess there is no point appealing is there ?

acastudent wrote: »
    Dellboy are you cosidering appealing ?

Failed both and feel absolute crap inside . Dreading the thought of going back to work on Monday .

cant get my head around how I managed to get green in Finance ?

The rest all yellows and big red in BL
    Decile 7 sufficiency 1

I guess there is no point appealing is there ?

Yeah I am going to give it a try. I am aware that I have a 0.1% chance so I'm certain it will be more money down the drain but i wouldn't sleep at night if I at least didn't try. Especially seen as it is imp.

No harm in trying on BL either, you've got 4 indicators there for them to squeeze something out of.

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

Yeah I am going to give it a try. I am aware that I have a 0.1% chance so I'm certain it will be more money down the drain but i wouldn't sleep at night if I at least didn't try. Especially seen as it is imp.

No harm in trying on BL either, you've got 4 indicators there for them to squeeze something out of.

That's my hope that they manage to squeeze something out of one of my IMP indicators!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Lads! Failed elective, I'll get over it though! Anyone know if myshirt passed?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Lads! Failed elective, I'll get over it though! Anyone know if myshirt passed?

Failed both, again.

F#cking devastated.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

myshirt wrote: »
    Failed both, again.

F#cking devastated.

Unlucky Myshirt. And you won't see any of us who passed on here boasting about it. We were lucky!! Still trying to get my head around the marking scheme. And I cannot understand how the pass rates can go way down year on year considering the pass rates have been constant historically!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Stupid Question guys, passed on Friday but my 3 but have to wait until March for my 3 and half years experience, does this mean I cant graduate until 2016?

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

TooLate wrote: »
    Stupid Question guys, passed on Friday but my 3 but have to wait until March for my 3 and half years experience, does this mean I cant graduate until 2016?

I'm in the same boat, I think we do have to wait until then alright. As far as I know?

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

I'm in the same boat, I think we do have to wait until then alright. As far as I know?

Cheers, good in one gives me some time to do the last 2years diary entries :(

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

To those who are applying for membership, have you had an email or anything on what to do next or fees etc.? Thought there be some info with my results but nothing. I had a look at the application form online and it asks about an IT course and what date we completed it?! Did anyone do this? Never heard of it.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

To those who are applying for membership, have you had an email or anything on what to do next or fees etc.? Thought there be some info with my results but nothing. I had a look at the application form online and it asks about an IT course and what date we completed it?! Did anyone do this? Never heard of it.

Thanks.

You have until Friday to apply for the spring graduation. Registration fee is €877 and then I think they may charge the reminder of the 2014 (one month)

Computer course is an old thing, used to have to do it. No longer required

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tash82.

I thought that when you submitted your diary/membership application, you only had to wait roughly 2 months to be admitted as a member, and not until the ceremony itself?

Aidodub87 wrote: »
    You have until Friday to apply for the spring graduation. Registration fee is €877 and then I think they may charge the reminder of the 2014 (one month)

Computer course is an old thing, used to have to do it. No longer required

I assume this only applies if you have your 3.5 years done? And that those of us that still have time on our contracts don't have to do anything for the time being?

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

I assume this only applies if you have your 3.5 years done? And that those of us that still have time on our contracts don't have to do anything for the time being?

Yeah date u are eligible to apply for membership is either passing the FAE or when experience is completed.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Still says I've passed. Relief

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Bioni

How long does it take the appeal results to come out?

Bioni wrote: »
    How long does it take the appeal results to come out?

Hopefully someone will tell you for definite but I've heard of people getting the news back before Christmas time. So probably 2-3 weeks after appeals close next Friday.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 daisy chain

Can anyone link the Board report l've been trying since Friday on different computers but still getting an errror message.

From what I understand there are only two routes for appealing 1. Clerical recheck where they recount the number of c's etc marked on page but don't actually remark the papers or 2. Extenuating circumstances, dont know if they remark these ones?? Anyone any further insight?

Can anyone link the Board report l've been trying since Friday on different computers but still getting an errror message.

I'll bet you 2 and half grand you're not logged in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Abbey14

Failed on Audit - decile 6 sufficiency 2 :( i was just wondering if anyone last year enrolled in the revision course to enable them to do the mocks etc? Was it worth it? Do you have a timetable to give me a rough idea. The details on line refer mainly to the core and I don't know what I get from the elective.

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭Tricky1979

Did your letters arrive on Friday?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Letter went to my home address not my work one. Just got it today

Tricky1979 wrote: »
    Did your letters arrive on Friday?

Yup!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭Torres999

I got Decile 6 Suff 2 in AAE and was thinking of appealing but like is the appeal basically them just adding up the marks again and not actually rechecking the paper? Its 1000/1 shot really is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 34 Abbey14

Torres999 wrote: »
    I got Decile 6 Suff 2 in AAE and was thinking of appealing but like is the appeal basically them just adding up the marks again and not actually rechecking the paper? Its 1000/1 shot really is it?

Im in the same boat - for 28 euro I am definitely rechecking! I would love to know what people passed audit on - did anyone get it on a sufficiency of 1 or decile 6 etc!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

They won't revisit academic judgement.

To be fair to them, the system is very, very strong in it's approach. Accountants are great at designing control systems, and the one they have at FAE is quite robust.

The only criticism I have is that the papers are set by the institute, and also marked by the institute. It is not subject to external review or challenge in any way that could be considered sufficient. With the severe financial situation they they have found themselves in in recent times, if you were a regulatory auditor going in there and seen that they set and correct to the level they do, this would represent a significant audit risk categorised by managerial pressure.

Why not set the paper, do up a marking system, and put it out to tender for non-related parties to correct?

Picture it though.... a pass rate of 30% returned... what impact would that have on the profession and supply of ACA's.... or a pass rate of 80%, what impact would that have on the financing of the institute.... they'd be sh!tting it as much as us waiting for the results... further, would this show up gaps in the education/lecturing side if bad results emerged... would firms place their students with education providers outside the institute for less than €4k a student... who knows.. for me it would just make it more transparent, and prompt the institute to compete. And I think that is good.

In any event.. the number of rolling stock of students is a critical success factor for the institute. Educating students to be accountants is big, big money.

Maintaining control over the quality of accountant churned out is also critical. And you don't get that if you have zero control over an external marking process unless that marking process is very prescriptive, which would prompt problems of its own. They have pulled up their socks on the quality of accountant though, I think that is recognised. To be fair to them, I would have no concerns that they would put money before the integrity of the profession.

There is just something not 100% comforting about the whole thing. Or maybe I have went the final stretch of going full on mad.

As Dellboy2007 said, #notbitter

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lydia123

aquinn101 wrote: »
    Can you do both boards at once? I've considered doing 2 acca next June and then faes in september just so that in the event I fail again next year I havent totally wasted a year?!?

Yeah you can do whatever qualification you like, whenever you want, I'm thinking of doing them as well. I know you have to pay a fair bit for all the exemptions, but with only 5 papers at P level, and you get credit for the subjects you bloody well pass! It would be revision too, do 3 in June, sit FAE and then whether you pass or not, if you want to, you just have 2 papers to sit in Dec, when everything is relatively fresh. Just my view anyway. It might take the pressure off in the FAE then, because I completely freaked out on Core day 1, and ****ed up my timing - and failed as a result!

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Soap_Soup

It's a process with 0% transparency though.

So they might as well be making it up as far as someone who's failed is concerned.

No option to have it remarked, no option to see my marked script. The most convoluted marking system I've ever heard of.

It has just always seemed like it was purposely designed to allow them to fail people at whim with no accountability at their side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Can anyone tell me where to get the application form for the revision course? It wasn't in with my results and I cannot find it on the institute website! I want to just send it off and be done with it!

Advertisement