Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11 2014DCR

Well done to everyone that made it over the line. A brilliant achievement.

I failed both Core & Elective (APM). Red in Audit which I can't get my head around! Y's & G's in everything else. Don't know what happened in my elective, had no concerns after the exam.

The thought of having to go through it all again is killing me at the moment. Did anyone that pass go to external grinds or anything like that (and would recommend it)? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 TonyT837

Nermal wrote: »
    Looking at the board report, I have to completely disagree with their criticism of students trying to map indicators:

"It cannot emphasise enough that once candidates respond to the issues presented in the case study, it shouldn’t matter what the “mapping” is. It is not about getting inside the precise mindset of the examiner or the FAE Board: it is about providing the best advice you can in the context of the information provided in the case study."

There's so much information provided it's actually a crucial skill to get inside the mind of the examiner and find out from what perspective you're being asked to address it.

Yeah glad I'm not the only one who finds this an incredible thing to say. I failed because I didn't map enough as I clearly missed the IMP indicators. You really have to wonder about them sometimes!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 User625733

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    Seems fairly shocking that you failed with decile 1 and no reds! I got all yellows and sufficiency 2! Someone told me that would probably have been enough to pass this year! Overall I found core very business/strategy orientated this year! Hard to believe there is so little financial reporting and tax in these exams!

The decile 1 was in tax elective..in the core I was decile 7 with all greens and yellows but failed on a sufficiency group 1...do you think it is worth remaking/appealing

• Registered Users Posts: 1 PMFAE

I have just looked at the board report and I know I picked up on the audit indicators and gave responses similar to what they were after.

Its the only red I got. Does anyone think there is a slight chance my audit answers were missed in the answer book when marked? Are all scripts marked more than once?

Thanks guys

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PG1234

PMFAE wrote: »
    I have just looked at the board report and I know I picked up on the audit indicators and gave responses similar to what they were after.

Its the only red I got. Does anyone think there is a slight chance my audit answers were missed in the answer book when marked? Are all scripts marked more than once?

Thanks guys

I'm exactly the same, decile 6 & 0 sufficieny, only red was audit......

I know people say appealing won't make a difference, but wouldn't what if be worse for the sake of €56

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 Edmundomee

User625733 wrote: »
    The decile 1 was in tax elective..in the core I was decile 7 with all greens and yellows but failed on a sufficiency group 1...do you think it is worth remaking/appealing

It's so tight it is worth appealing in my eyes... If you got 1 green in tax and yellows in all the rest and I got a green in audit and yellows in the rest and got decile 4 and passed.

It just shows how tight everything is once you drop out of decile 1 and decile 2.

I'd try the appeal if i was you.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Assuming it's not worth appealing the elective with a decile of 7 and sufficiency of 2 as its AAA which had the abysmal 54% pass rate??

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

2014DCR wrote: »
    Well done to everyone that made it over the line. A brilliant achievement.

I failed both Core & Elective (APM). Red in Audit which I can't get my head around! Y's & G's in everything else. Don't know what happened in my elective, had no concerns after the exam.

The thought of having to go through it all again is killing me at the moment. Did anyone that pass go to external grinds or anything like that (and would recommend it)? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

I failed last year and decided that I needed to take a different approach this year and went to the CGS courses thought they were excellent and really listened to how they said to approach the exam especially the planning. In the exam I did spend 2 hours planning the core paper before I started to write the answer !! Liam Doran is unreal in the CGS. Delighted to say that I passed it this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

The pass rates dropped as I expected. I'm sure this is because they are bringing in a repeat and want to justify it with enough people to pay for it! #notbitter

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

The pass rates dropped as I expected. I'm sure this is because they are bringing in a repeat and want to justify it with enough people to pay for it! #notbitter

im curious, how did you know the rates were going to drop so much and not stay around the circa 74% mark?

I am still so distraught knowing I have to do the whole thing again - only this time without any study leave - just annual leave!

I was so happy with my approach and how much study I had done. Now I havent a clue even where to begin! :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Did everyone who failed get an enrollment form for the revision course, they seem to have forgotten to put mine in?

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

im curious, how did you know the rates were going to drop so much and not stay around the circa 74% mark?

I am still so distraught knowing I have to do the whole thing again - only this time without any study leave - just annual leave!

I was so happy with my approach and how much study I had done. Now I havent a clue even where to begin! :(

Due to the Tough aafrp and toughest core in a few years imho, but also when they mentioned that they were going to do repeats I knew for definite. The pass rate will probably be the same next year.

I'm still coming to terms with failing an accounting exam on IT.

I saw on the board report some mention of feedback on the IMP indicator from Cassi survey AND OTHER SOURCES. I presume this is boards.

If you are reading this, I want you to know you made a spelling mistake in the report, right after you mentioned about poor spelling this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Soap_Soup

There isn't a resit for the elective this year is there?

I'd love to get to speak to the exam board in person and ask them some serious questions.

The fluctuation in the AAA pass rate- Any reasonable person would say students are going to be of a similar standard to the prior year in such a large sample from a similar educational and career background. So what is it lads, was your paper this year a failure as it didn't allow enough students to show competence, or did you pass people in previous years that you wouldn't now consider 'competent'?

It's a very obvious but very serious question, and it should be answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭ASOT2012

Due to the Tough aafrp and toughest core in a few years imho, but also when they mentioned that they were going to do repeats I knew for definite. The pass rate will probably be the same next year.

I'm still coming to terms with failing an accounting exam on IT.

I saw on the board report some mention of feedback on the IMP indicator from Cassi survey AND OTHER SOURCES. I presume this is boards.

If you are reading this, I want you to know you made a spelling mistake in the report, right after you mentioned about poor spelling this year.

Good spot Dellboy.

"The overall standard of presentation was reasonable but it is worth noting again that in a number of cases the standard of layout, presentation (including basics such as spelling and legibility) and the ability to communicate in a clear and coherent manner fell well short of the standard to be expected of a Chartered Accountant(after allowing for the context of a pressured examination). Candidates who fail to make their points clearly oftern score less well than those who lay out solutions in a well organised, clear and concise manner."

Also, there is a fundamental flaw in an exam where you can fail on an area that isn't even going to be in the repeats/next sitting.

Or where you can fail on audit in the core but pass the elective etc..

Suppose I should also say I passed the core in case this sounds like I'm embittered. Its a fact. Also this years Elective was a lot tougher than previous years as evidenced by the pass rates. This shows a clear lack of consistency!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 9qwas1

Hi just wondering -could someone let me know , how far away I am from passing the core exam . I got all yellows and one red in audit . Sufficiency grouping 2 and decile 8 . If I got all yellows would I have passed the core exam ? Sorry for sounding so stupid regarding this ! I know I need an sufficiency group 0. But would all yellows get me this ?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

9qwas1 wrote: »
    Hi just wondering -could someone let me know , how far away I am from passing the core exam . I got all yellows and one red in audit . Sufficiency grouping 2 and decile 8 . If I got all yellows would I have passed the core exam ? Sorry for sounding so stupid regarding this ! I know I need an sufficiency group 0. But would all yellows get me this ?? Thanks

I think sufficiency means that you were two C's away from passing.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 PG1234

Doesn't matter what colours you get unless you get 0 in sufficiency I'm afraid. However doesn't sound like you were a million miles away so take encouragement from that for next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,421 ✭✭✭✭cson

Anyone reading here thinking of starting the 2015 thread; don't do it, there's a curse!

Most expensive morning of my life considering I didn't go anywhere, didn't buy anything and didn't leave the bed until 11am

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lydia123

cson wrote: »
    Anyone reading here thinking of starting the 2015 thread; don't do it, there's a curse!

Most expensive morning of my life considering I didn't go anywhere, didn't buy anything and didn't leave the bed until 11am

It's already started!

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

9qwas1 wrote: »

I got the same sufficiency and decile as you, all yellows and failed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Anyone got an email address for Sean Murray ?

Anyone have a different link to the board report? - the one on the institute site is crashing for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

What absolute W*nkers saying there disappointed with the scripts - They made the exam they knew it was substantially tougher than previous years !!! 52% pass rate is not acceptable. Are they basically saying sorry lads were disappointed with you this year but we let a few last year to slip through the net !!!

What absolute W*nkers saying there disappointed with the scripts - They made the exam they knew it was substantially tougher than previous years !!! 52% pass rate is not acceptable. Are they basically saying sorry lads were disappointed with you this year but we let a few last year to slip through the net !!!

I 100% agree.

The institute really need to clarify just what is going on with the Audit elective.

Any reason like "the standard of scripts wasn't up to standard" isn't enough. Why were they not up to standard? If they aren't trying to genuinely find that out (or explain why it is) they really aren't fit for purpose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Anyone got another link to the board report, it won't open for me either

• Registered Users Posts: 634 ✭✭✭pugw

Anyone got another link to the board report, it won't open for me either

Lads I got sufficiency 0 decile 6 but a red in B/L wud it be worth appealing do ye think?? Or do they ever actually change them

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭TonyStark

PG1234 wrote: »
    I'm exactly the same, decile 6 & 0 sufficieny, only red was audit......

I know people say appealing won't make a difference, but wouldn't what if be worse for the sake of €56

AFAIK, All exam papers are double marked. So your paper has been looked over by two examiners already.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 NoChance14

Anyone know if the report on our scripts is worth paying for? Need to see where I went wrong but payed for a report at cap 2 & it wasn't worth the paper it was printed on!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 543 ✭✭✭womandriver

Can anybody attach the board report? Can't get in to it at all. Thanks.

Edit: finally managed to open it so ignore above

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 31 aquinn101

lydia123 wrote: »
    I considered it on the 8th of Nov because that was the deadline for December exams but thought I'd be wishing myself bad luck! I'll look into it on Monday haha! The only reason I would is because at least if you pass a subject you get to bloody well keep it!!! I'd still repeat FAE next year because I'm a tad stubborn.

Can you do both boards at once? I've considered doing 2 acca next June and then faes in september just so that in the event I fail again next year I havent totally wasted a year?!?

Advertisement