Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 160 ✭✭Aidodub87

PhilipLuke wrote: »
    Can anyone tell me where to get the application form for the revision course? It wasn't in with my results and I cannot find it on the institute website! I want to just send it off and be done with it!

Any reason why u doing the revision course? I really didn't find it great to be honest. I only really signed up to get access to the notes.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Aidodub87 wrote: »
    Any reason why u doing the revision course? I really didn't find it great to be honest. I only really signed up to get access to the notes.

I want to get the books, notes and be able to sit the mocks. Where did you access the form?

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Can anyone tell me where to get the application form for the revision course? It wasn't in with my results and I cannot find it on the institute website! I want to just send it off and be done with it!

How much does the revision course cost?

I want to get the books, notes and be able to sit the mocks. Where did you access the form?

Don't think it's available yet. Had a look and couldn't find it

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

Any advice on passing FAE 2015?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Guys, anyone good with revenue website. Where can I get a form CT1 for acc periods ending in 2014

Melon head wrote: »

Case studies to books; not books to case studies.
    Little and often rather than a lot in a short period.
    Rinse and repeat. Rinse and repeat.
    And say a few prayers.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

Thanks, Download ROS offline, my shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭iwishihadaname

Spent the first 5 weeks of study leave getting an understanding of each topic across all subjects. Then the last 6 weeks doing case study after case study. Also worked really hard for AARFP so basically had all FR covered by the time study leave arrived. Passed anyway so it seems to have worked!

I think everyone has their own approach that they're most comfortable with.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 Glas134

Hi Guys,

Congrats to all that passed and commiserations to all that didn't come through this time. I just failed for the second year in PM - one red both years so I am very disheartened to say the least. Does anybody know or can anybody recommend anybody for grinds or classes in this area... I found C.G.S very good but they aren't running all year long and its something I need to start doing on an ongoing basis. I am considering going along to the FAE refresher lectures in FR before Christmas to get myself started but I don't know if anybody has done this or has any advice... was considering taking a year out but the generally consensus when I got to work this morning was this was a bad idea.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

As one of my good friends who passed on 6 yellows said, "I can't believe they have qualified me, I don't even know how to do double entry".

In a nutshell, it's luck. Luck on the day especially, but also luck on your corrector and luck on what way they want to manipulate the pass rates. Believe me, I could tell you 7 different ridiculous stories about people who've failed that make absolutely no sense. There's something seriously amiss with these exams. Good luck.

As one of my good friends who passed on 6 yellows said, "I can't believe they have qualified me, I don't even know how to do double entry".

In a nutshell, it's luck. Luck on the day especially, but also luck on your corrector and luck on what way they want to manipulate the pass rates. Believe me, I could tell you 7 different ridiculous stories about people who've failed that make absolutely no sense. There's something seriously amiss with these exams. Good luck.

Ahhhhhh do tell them...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Story story story

Institute actively monitor this thread... just to be aware.

Nervous Nigel lurks somewhere... *spooky sound*

Don't do the audit elective immediately increase your chances

myshirt wrote: »
    Institute actively monitor this thread... just to be aware.

Nervous Nigel lurks somewhere... *spooky sound*

UP YOURS INSTITUTE

UP YOURS

Fails CA diary.....

Hi Dellboy,

Was that this year that your friend passed with six yellows because that is exactly what I got and I failed!!

• Registered Users Posts: 482 ✭✭donnem33

Hi Dellboy,

Was that this year that your friend passed with six yellows because that is exactly what I got and I failed!!

I know of 2 people who passed with 6 yellows, and 2 people who failed with 6 yellows..the mind boggles!

donnem33 wrote: »
    I know of 2 people who passed with 6 yellows, and 2 people who failed with 6 yellows..the mind boggles!

Obviously they got different sufficiencies yeah?

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

Alright mates - I'll tell you me story.

2012: [Core] fail: G G Y Y Y R (tax -> incompetent answer) decile 7 suff 0, [APM] fail decile 7 suff 1
    2013: [Core] fail: Y Y Y Y Y Y decile 10 suff 2, [APM] fail decile 10 suff 2
    2014: [Core] pass: G G G Y Y Y decile 1 suff 0, [APM] pass decile 6 suff 0

I knew after 2013 that I had gone downhill so decided to do ACCA on the side to cover my back and also as a means of studying. Passed P1, P2 & P3 in June this year but didn't pay the fees for exemptions (still outstanding whoops), went on a weeks holiday in Ibiza to clear the head (empty the head more like) and then got back and went to CGS during July (3 weekends and 1 x two day class during the week) and started studying on my own in August; took the whole month off work. Put myself into isolation with no music or distractions and stuck to a full days work for the month; 10-6 mostly and read the online Financial Times every day of August; filtering out irrelevant crap and writing down in a section of my exam file relevant facts, stories etc. that I could use in the exam. It's hard to know which of these factors had most impact or if all of them added something together but anyway I got decile 1 in core this year and I'm absolutely delighted. I had mostly ruled out getting a pass in APM because I always neglected it when studying. I think CGS defo saved me in that this year.

Overall, I think I should have passed first time but messed up tax a little by overthinking a situation. The following year I was somewhat disheartened and didn't reach the same level of focus and sharpness for the exam and did sh1te in both. I totally blanked out the fact that I got decile 10 in both; I denied it to myself if I'm honest which allowed me to have one last stab and so I decided to give it everything. Somehow it all came together.

Congratulations to all who passed. Nightmare for anyone who failed but you can defo pick yourself up hopefully if you've not lost your job. It really is a blow having to wait a whole year for a resit so I'd definitely consider some ACCA exams as a backup plan and at least they are every 6 months at present.

• Advertisement

Alright mates - I'll tell you me story.

2012: [Core] fail: G G Y Y Y R (tax -> incompetent answer) decile 7 suff 0, [APM] fail decile 7 suff 1
    2013: [Core] fail: Y Y Y Y Y Y decile 10 suff 2, [APM] fail decile 10 suff 2
    2014: [Core] pass: G G G Y Y Y decile 1 suff 0, [APM] pass decile 6 suff 0

I knew after 2013 that I had gone downhill so decided to do ACCA on the side to cover my back and also as a means of studying. Passed P1, P2 & P3 in June this year but didn't pay the fees for exemptions (still outstanding whoops), went on a weeks holiday in Ibiza to clear the head (empty the head more like) and then got back and went to CGS during July (3 weekends and 1 x two day class during the week) and started studying on my own in August; took the whole month off work. Put myself into isolation with no music or distractions and stuck to a full days work for the month; 10-6 mostly and read the online Financial Times every day of August; filtering out irrelevant crap and writing down in a section of my exam file relevant facts, stories etc. that I could use in the exam. It's hard to know which of these factors had most impact or if all of them added something together but anyway I got decile 1 in core this year and I'm absolutely delighted. I had mostly ruled out getting a pass in APM because I always neglected it when studying. I think CGS defo saved me in that this year.

Overall, I think I should have passed first time but messed up tax a little by overthinking a situation. The following year I was somewhat disheartened and didn't reach the same level of focus and sharpness for the exam and did sh1te in both. I totally blanked out the fact that I got decile 10 in both; I denied it to myself if I'm honest which allowed me to have one last stab and so I decided to give it everything. Somehow it all came together.

Congratulations to all who passed. Nightmare for anyone who failed but you can defo pick yourself up hopefully if you've not lost your job. It really is a blow having to wait a whole year for a resit so I'd definitely consider some ACCA exams as a backup plan and at least they are every 6 months at present.

Lovely story you deserved to get it this year

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭Soap_Soup

Anyone know if there are ACCA exemptions for passing the core?

The idea of having 4 or 5 exams is a little disheartening at the minute after having passed CAP1, CAP2, and the Core.

And what type of subject matter does APM cover? It's hard to ignore the pass rates outside the Audit elective. I've been working in audit a few years so it's been my natural choice. But it feels like I'm signing up to wait another 12 months, run a marathon and at the end of it flip a coin.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

I started the cases in January. Did all the steps cases, searched last years thread for extra cases, you will get a huge bank from that. And chip away at the FR standards, I had covered them each about 4 times by the time it came to the exams. And do the Derry cotter book inside out. The sub question was pretty much identical to one from the book. As was the revenue recognition question. I would say definitely do not leave it til study leave to be opening the books or cases. I worked consistently throughout the year in the evenings and at weekends and that way there wasn't as much pressure when it got to June. Everyone has their own way of doing it but that worked for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Myshirt is right. The institute have a loan for €27 million euro for that new building and guess where a third of their revenue comes from? Us.

just having a look through their annual report...

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eusebius

People passed this year with 6 yellows??
    I failed with 5 yellows and 1 green. Decile 7 sufficiency 1. Appeal sent in..

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Eusebius wrote: »

5 yellows and green ? Fail ? Are you for real ????
    Now I heard it all ...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

Eusebius wrote: »

I passed with that decile 4

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭Daisy03

Just reading the board report. I missed The West Wing references in Stockard in the audit elective on the day. Would've given me a right laugh. There is a Josh, Donna, Claudia, Sam and Charlie Bartlett!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Eusebius

I passed with that decile 4

20 times, just to clarify, did you get 6 yellows?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37 Lylodemo

Hey
    Did anyone pass with a decile ranking 6 and sufficiency grouping 0?????

Advertisement