Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lydia123

Board report is up!
    Can't link it here because I'm a new user apparently

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭conor1979

Failed elective but was expected as lost all interest in audit last year! Will be doing APM next year.

Passed core so delighted with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 daisy chain

failed core, first attempt, in to collect my notice on Monday, absolutely devastated :(

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

Got all yellows, failed with sufficiency 2, decile ranking 8, ruptured a disk in my back three weeks before the exam and still sat them!!

Sometimes **** happens!!

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Congrats to everyone that passed. I had a good laugh on here during the exams, maybe if I spent more time learning about that subject imp - you know the one that the institute thought was so important that they just lifted it from the whole course - I might be in better form right now. Anyway, I'm going to steer clear of overused cliches and say simply that I hope all of you who are in the same boat do better next year and those who passed enjoy your day.

Side note - appeal process?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

Congrats to everyone that passed. I had a good laugh on here during the exams, maybe if I spent more time learning about that subject imp - you know the one that the institute thought was so important that they just lifted it from the whole course - I might be in better form right now. Anyway, I'm going to steer clear of overused cliches and say simply that I hope all of you who are in the same boat do better next year and those who passed enjoy your day.

im in the same boat...except i failed the elective aswell. def not picking audit again next year! crazy the difference in pass rates in the elective!

so for those of us repeating..does any one know what we have to do next and how much it costs to repeat both?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

All the info will be in your letter

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

For all those who failed, just remember one thing, at least you will be blessed with Dellboy's razor sharp wit next year too :D

You did give me many a laugh over the last 12 months!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭bikeman1

My firts attempt. Failed Core by a long shot which has surprised me as I felt I did well.

Passed Tax Elective, so I'm happy with that.

Really depressed having to put my life on hold for another year.

Congrats to those who passed, a great achievement.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

For all those who failed, just remember one thing, at least you will be blessed with Dellboy's razor sharp wit next year too :D

You did give me many a laugh over the last 12 months!!

Haha thanks littlemiss, and well done on passing. I don't think I'll be returning to the 2015 thread though, but I'm glad I provided a source of humour during them tough times we had.

Now, what was on my POA again....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

50.2% of people sitting this years FAE got a pass - 820/1633
    21.7% of people sitting this years FAE got a credit - 355/1633
    28% of people sitting this years FAE got a fail - 458/1633

Shocking stats!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,093 ✭✭✭Johnny_Fontane

Congrats to everyone who passed. I know its been a slog for some people coming back for a second/third time. Commiserations to those who didnt get them, but genuinely (and I know this may be hard right now), there is alot of reasons to be very hopeful in this market.

As I have said a number of times, we help candidates every year to find roles who have missed their exams. The market is most definitely in your favour no matter what results you have had today.

In relation to a brief salary survey of what you can expect (Dublin based):
    If you missed your FAE's and have worked in small to medium sized practice, you can easily pick up a role around the €30k in another practice. If you wanted to move into industry for nine months (before hunkering down say in July for next September), thats very do-able aswell. Salary again around the €30k mark If you missed and you are in the big 4/top 10, again plenty of options in smaller practice, salaries might even get up to €35k. Little bit more difficult to secure an industry role, but it can be done.

If you passed, congrats. You can expect salaries of 40-45k if you are coming from small to medium sized practice (and 50k in some cases). If you are coming from big 4/top 10, the range is probably more €45-50k.

The market is strong for accountants at all levels at the moment, dont hesitate to get in touch if you want more advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

Just realised passing will mean I'm going to have to fill in my CA Diary for the first time ever. God those 15 months I spent on secondment not doing anything related to accountancy at all are going to be fun to try and write!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

TheDoctor wrote: »
    50.2% of people sitting this years FAE got a pass - 820/1633
    21.7% of people sitting this years FAE got a credit - 355/1633
    28% of people sitting this years FAE got a fail - 458/1633

Shocking stats!

Have you read the board report? They really thought we were crap! A really high amount seem to have failed on IMP which seems so harsh and unfair in my opinion.

I am working in industry at the moment, came in as a finalist.
    Just a note to say there are so many jobs available for finalists, because we are that little bit cheaper although unfortunate for us - I have been here a year now - long story, went to Oz after CAP2s, also repeated FR a few times - but I have 5 years experience and two weeks ago negotiated pay rise to qualified level - on the basis that when I woke up today, my ability as an accountant would be no different whether the result said pass or fail.
    To summarise, if you failed, like myself, everything will be fine... It is just incredibly frustrating to have to wait so long to go through that week again. (And miss out on numerous music festivals etc. in the meantime!)
    For those of you who are getting pushed out, don't worry about it, get in somewhere where you don't do loads of overtime and refocus again.
    If you failed today it doesn't define you as an accountant whatsoever and future employers know that - if they have a policy about exams it reflects on them, not you! You're just a number to them in that case.
    p.s. my manager and the CFO just told me they didn't get their finals the first time either

• Registered Users Posts: 12 paperback24

I passed! I PASSED!!! I can't believe it. I'm not the biggest looser on the planet like I felt last year and the year before.

This is the best day of my life.

Thank you for all your support especially yesterday.

Congratulations to all who passed and for those who didn"t don't give up.

If I can do it anyone can

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

Congrats to all that passed. I failed both. Devestated. Got HC in my Aafrp, got the disposal and revenue indicators and still got a yellow. I hate the institute.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

those that failed both...is there anyone considering changing over to ACCA?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,096 ✭✭✭An Citeog

PG1234 wrote: »
    Need some advice....Core exam got docile 7 & sufficiency 0...

One red indicator for auditing. Am wondering is it worth appealing or am I better off spending the €56 in the pub???

It's not an appeal unless you're looking to apply due to extenuating circumstances. It won't be remarked, so you're paying them €56 for somebody to count all the marks you were awarded and ensure that you did actually fail. The fact that it's possible that this can be wrong for even one person is an absolute disgrace.

I considered it on the 8th of Nov because that was the deadline for December exams but thought I'd be wishing myself bad luck! I'll look into it on Monday haha! The only reason I would is because at least if you pass a subject you get to bloody well keep it!!! I'd still repeat FAE next year because I'm a tad stubborn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Accountant81

I had looked into it on the basis that they were moving to 4 sittings a year. But that isn't due to happen until 2016. Therefore you won't be able to sit any of their exams until June now. At this level you will need to sit 5 exams and you can only do 4 in a sitting. I decided if I failed that I would stick with ACA, it hardly seemed worth it. Plus you have to pay €900 for the exa,s you are exempt from.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

I passed but

Honestly if your firm supports it you should consider it, I know a girl who failed FAE twice and then placed in ACCA. It also just seems a lot less stressful, failing one subject means you only have to repeat that one area and not everything all over again

• Registered Users Posts: 11 glencairne

Folks I just wanted to leave a wee message to those who didn't get the results they wished for this morning.

Last year I failed core by a red in BL, although I got decile 7 & suf 0 (one of my friends got the same that year but passed as she had no reds) and I passed my tax elective.

I would have bet A LOT of money on failing again this year as I knew I hadn't gave core my best due to limited study leave & holidays as I also got married in May past, but for some miracle I did pass this morning, even with IT problems & my results not online.

I know the sickening gutted feeling you are experiencing today but honestly dont give up. I have been doing all this exams from 2007 and have had many of fails & repeats but if you feel you have it in you to go again then do & dont give up.

It will be worth it in the end! I appealed last year - waste of money but if I hadnt I would have been thinking what if?? One thing I did do which I would recommend is to pay for the commentary on your paper - it did help me last year when I was studying & I also shared some of the comments on here which helps calm the nerves the week before the exams I think.

Best of luck to everyone for the future!

• Registered Users Posts: 523 ✭✭✭Mark1916

I'm going to appeal failing in on IMP then I'll go from there! Absolute joke of an organisation! Congrats to everyone who passed!

• Registered Users Posts: 5 dunners1984

Hi All. Just a note to those who failed. I failed the core in 2010. Was so upset and actually was one of the worst days I have had. But I travelled up to home that morning and got some good TLC from mammy and you know what, I felt much better by the Saturday. I realised it's not the end of the world and that life goes on. There are much worse things that can happen. I put it to the back of my mind and the following summer I just got down to study again and passed that damn core 2nd time round.

• Registered Users Posts: 272 ✭✭0028673

I had looked into it on the basis that they were moving to 4 sittings a year. But that isn't due to happen until 2016. Therefore you won't be able to sit any of their exams until June now. At this level you will need to sit 5 exams and you can only do 4 in a sitting. I decided if I failed that I would stick with ACA, it hardly seemed worth it. Plus you have to pay €900 for the exa,s you are exempt from.

ACCA have an extra session of exams from September 2015. There will be 3 exam sittings in 2015 and 4 exam sittings for 2016.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭danko2012

It's seriously disappointing to those who failed. I did my 1st sitting in 2012 and got red in PM & IMP and Decile 10 and failed Audit elective Decile 9. Resat in 2013 and failed, got 6 Yellows & Decile 8 and failed elective Decile 7. This year i was working and had only 1 week off before the exams and passed with 3 G & 3 Y, Decile 4 and passed elective Decile 2.

The point is that u are due a bit of self pity for the weekend but as my result shows (pretty shocking in 2012) to passing this time it is achievable and to keep going no matter how bad u feel, that it will come right if u stick with it. Best of luck to all those repeating next year I'm off this thread now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 User625733

Hi, like a lot of you today I received my results today! Passed the elective with decile 1 so was pleased with that! However failed the core...got a green on tax and the rest yellow however received sufficiency group 1...I am asking for advice on what exactly this means and is there a point remarking it?? Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Nermal

Looking at the board report, I have to completely disagree with their criticism of students trying to map indicators:

"It cannot emphasise enough that once candidates respond to the issues presented in the case study, it shouldn’t matter what the “mapping” is. It is not about getting inside the precise mindset of the examiner or the FAE Board: it is about providing the best advice you can in the context of the information provided in the case study."

There's so much information provided it's actually a crucial skill to get inside the mind of the examiner and find out from what perspective you're being asked to address it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭PhilipLuke

User625733 wrote: »
    Hi, like a lot of you today I received my results today! Passed the elective with decile 1 so was pleased with that! However failed the core...got a green on tax and the rest yellow however received sufficiency group 1...I am asking for advice on what exactly this means and is there a point remarking it?? Thanks
    Seems fairly shocking that you failed with decile 1 and no reds! I got all yellows and sufficiency 2! Someone told me that would probably have been enough to pass this year! Overall I found core very business/strategy orientated this year! Hard to believe there is so little financial reporting and tax in these exams!

Advertisement