Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2014

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ChrisROI

Lylodemo wrote: »
    I feel your pain :(

I'm send my appeal in tomorrow, one can only dream

What's all this about changing the core? Eeeeeeeeeekkkkkkk

I have heard no imp this year as it is to be replaced by management accounts. The weighting for pm is also increasing. Not sure of Anything else but with it being the first year of a 'new' approach I think there may be some issues to come from it. I doubt it will run smoothly for everyone

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Lylodemo

ChrisROI wrote: »
    I have heard no imp this year as it is to be replaced by management accounts. The weighting for pm is also increasing. Not sure of Anything else but with it being the first year of a 'new' approach I think there may be some issues to come from it. I doubt it will run smoothly for everyone

Great :( I got a green in IMP this year

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mackers87

Is anyone with sufficiency 2 going for a clerical recheck in the elective?

I wasn't going to but having second thoughts today.

• Registered Users Posts: 812 ✭✭✭Dellboy2007

Just to note, the PM weighting was technically 30% for us this year as 5 indicators out of 17 = 29%, not 20-25% as the comp statement suggested, but sure when has the fae board ever done things by the book.

Good luck to everyone appealing. Let us know how you get on as I find it hard to believe their stats on successful appeals.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 jny107

BigMawn12 wrote: »
    I didn't receive anything about membership. Just seen the deadline is Friday - pity I've hardly checked the board here since September. Is it €877? How much is it in £ anyone?

It's £317. I confirmed this with Sandy Grant. You pay your admission fee (£218) and £99 being for the remainder of 2014 up to 31.12.14. Yes I know there are only 5/6 weeks left of 2014 but you pay for a full quarter if you join between 30.09.14 and 31.12.12 (typical eh??)

Annual membership is £396 for 2015 on (payable in April but invoiced around Feb)

• Advertisement

Just to note, the PM weighting was technically 30% for us this year as 5 indicators out of 17 = 29%, not 20-25% as the comp statement suggested, but sure when has the fae board ever done things by the book.

Good luck to everyone appealing. Let us know how you get on as I find it hard to believe their stats on successful appeals.

Dellboy good luck with your exam next year. By far the toughest thing I found about repeating this year was the emotional stress of having to go through it again and mentally dealing with it. The sooner you can accept it and move on the better

• Registered Users Posts: 12 mackers87

It's not all that hard to believe when you think about the fact that there really isn't a re-mark option.

There's clerical re-check - they count the amount of C's etc you were awarded. This has already been done twice. If two Chartered Accountants can't count to 9/18 (or however many indicators the Core has) between them, we're more ****ed than I thought.

Then there's an appeal on extenuating circumstances - only for people who were sick etc. and have backup documentation - and even at that they'll still assess whether they think they should give it to you based on these circumstances.

There is no option where they actually re-look at your answers and critique whether you should have been designated as competent/ gained more C's etc.

The words 're-mark' and 'appeal' are a bit misused in this context IMO.

mackers87 wrote: »
    It's not all that hard to believe when you think about the fact that there really isn't a re-mark option.

There's clerical re-check - they count the amount of C's etc you were awarded. This has already been done twice. If two Chartered Accountants can't count to 9/18 (or however many indicators the Core has) between them, we're more ****ed than I thought.

Then there's an appeal on extenuating circumstances - only for people who were sick etc. and have backup documentation - and even at that they'll still assess whether they think they should give it to you based on these circumstances.

There is no option where they actually re-look at your answers and critique whether you should have been designated as competent/ gained more C's etc.

The words 're-mark' and 'appeal' are a bit misused in this context IMO.

I hear you bro, my gripe with the institute is that there is absolutely no transparency there. Ask yourself this:

1) why don't they let you see your paper?
    2) why don't they release the amount of C's and RC's needed to pass depth/ breadth?

For an organisation that promotes such high levels of transparency and governance, they are showing themselves to be very dishonest

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

4000!!!

DOOOOOOOOOOOOMMMEEEDDD!

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Just looking at the switch of elective form and I see that it says that students must pay for the main FAE course lectures (€275) when switching. I had planned on doing the revision course and covering the curriculum myself. Has it always been the case that you have to do the main course lectures when switching?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

Are people who failed audit still thinking of switching to APM?

I was but am a little apprehensive after seeing the scaremongering by the Institute about how people who switch from audit generally failed the APM, with an exception of 2013.

Im just a little worried that the pass rate for audit will substantially increase next year while the APM pass rate will decrease.

Any opinions?

Are people who failed audit still thinking of switching to APM?

I was but am a little apprehensive after seeing the scaremongering by the Institute about how people who switch from audit generally failed the APM, with an exception of 2013.

Im just a little worried that the pass rate for audit will substantially increase next year while the APM pass rate will decrease.

Any opinions?

Hey
    The main thing to think about is do you enjoy audit? If it's yes and the thought of APM is boring then don't switch in the hope of simply passing. I don't think you should base your decision on the pass rates. I found APM easy because I like the topics that are covered and enjoyed learning the subject

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭WhatYaSay

Lylodemo wrote: »
    Hey
    The main thing to think about is do you enjoy audit? If it's yes and the thought of APM is boring then don't switch in the hope of simply passing. I don't think you should base your decision on the pass rates. I found APM easy because I like the topics that are covered and enjoyed learning the subject

This is what I'm basing it on. Zero interest in audit and I definitely won't be working in it after my contract is up. Apm looks like it would actually interest me to study it vs basically banging my head off a wall trying to get audit I into it. Should've switched last year but the deadline crept up on me and I was stuck with audit.

I think you have your answer

WhatYaSay wrote: »
    This is what I'm basing it on. Zero interest in audit and I definitely won't be working in it after my contract is up. Apm looks like it would actually interest me to study it vs basically banging my head off a wall trying to get audit I into it. Should've switched last year but the deadline crept up on me and I was stuck with audit.

Then APM it is mate, good luck

Good luck also, remember you're just one paper away from being a fully qualified ACA!

• Registered Users Posts: 12 focus225

Is it true that if you fail the FAE three times you have to start at Cap 2 level again? Just something I heard. Don't know if there is any truth behind it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No. It's three strikes and you are out completely. No going back to CAP2.

That's the official line, though there are a very small minority who take it four times. That group is made up of those with extenuating circumstances as I believe the institutes own regulators won't allow a fourth attempt. Plus, at 3 years of FAE, do you really want to go again?

• Registered Users Posts: 44 jkiamasnake

For those repeating again next year...have you started studying yet? Due to only having annual leave next year and no study leave, I hope to start doing stuff this weekend

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭m1ck007

For those repeating again next year...have you started studying yet? Due to only having annual leave next year and no study leave, I hope to start doing stuff this weekend

I plan to start on feb 1st. Although i have started pullng notes together and reading the broadsheets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 FAE _Wex

myshirt wrote: »
    No. It's three strikes and you are out completely. No going back to CAP2.

That's the official line, though there are a very small minority who take it four times. That group is made up of those with extenuating circumstances as I believe the institutes own regulators won't allow a fourth attempt. Plus, at 3 years of FAE, do you really want to go again?

To repeat for a fourth time you have to apply to the institute to sit it for the fourth time, as long as its straight after your first three attempts they will allow you sit the exams again. This was my position this year and I passed and am now awaiting confirmation of membership.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LuLa0826

Anyone get the tutorial report? Was it any good?

LuLa0826 wrote: »
    Anyone get the tutorial report? Was it any good?

Dont think it comes out till after xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LuLa0826

Sorry I meant the report you pay for about your script?

LuLa0826 wrote: »
    Sorry I meant the report you pay for about your script?

Yea i think that is the tutorial report. I was on the phone to the instute about it they said early january.

I'm happy to put my reports up for people to see them from last year. I got 3G (audit, IMP, Finance) 2Y (PM and BL) and red in tax.

It won't let me attach but if you PM me I will send it for those who want an idea of what it is like.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Reddzer2002

I have to repeat the Core next year.

Does anybody know the important dates? Registering for exams etc.? Is there an information evening for repeat students coming up?

All info available on their website.

Jny107 PM the report and i'll post it up. Good man.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27 Androma1984

I have to repeat the Core next year.

Does anybody know the important dates? Registering for exams etc.? Is there an information evening for repeat students coming up?

The FAE revision course enrolment deadline is 16th January. On the information leaflet it says need to apply to repeat exam separately, but can't see the deadline for this on the website. Can anyone confirm this?

• Advertisement

The FAE revision course enrolment deadline is 16th January. On the information leaflet it says need to apply to repeat exam separately, but can't see the deadline for this on the website. Can anyone confirm this?

I attended the revision course intro in belfast tonight. The woman said the prices are yet to be agreed but they will be next week.

Advertisement