Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

FAE September 2014

Options
  • 09-10-2013 8:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭

Timetables up on the Institute website so may as well throw this up. :(

Any FAE veterans got any tips on what they think helped them pass? There's no one size fits all strategy I know but it'd be useful to get different perspectives on what folks did.

- Did you go to all your lectures?
    - Did you do revision course? Did they help?
    - How did you structure your study leave?
    - Did you do any study Nov - May?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 402 ✭✭R0N BURGUNDY

If I were to do it all over again, I'd get about 10 of the cases from last year and do them all over a period of 2 weeks ASAP to get a proper feel for what you're up against. (This will be painful but you'll have such a head start - you won't be going to classes and scratching your head and wondering what is going on) Do them under exam conditions and then go over solutions and make notes from solutions for your exam file (being your main file that you will use in the exam whilst the rest of your arsenal is stacked into a paper/cardboard wigwam beside your desk). You'll have forgotten the cases by the time you get off on study leave so you'll still get value out of them at that stage as well. The point is - after doing a hard 2 weeks at this, the rest of your year will be much more efficient and you won't waste your time doing work that isn't that useful for the exam. You'll also know what you will be wanting to bring into the exam and be able to spend the rest of the year collecting and organising useful material for the exam tailored to your own methods.

Lectures- I'd still go to just to keep your finger on the pulse but whether they're useful or not... Defo go to Monahan's (think that's the weird way he spells his name..)

I found it hard to do much work over the year but obviously you've got to try. I put in a fair amount of graft for AAFRP and got a C. Good way to get your FR up to scratch so you may as well.

Don't study for APM - I never this year (did year before - *palm face*) and I'm pretty sure I bossed the exam. It had absolutely nothing to do with the course = it was just common sense/natural ability. That's my opinion anyway. Read last years FAE forum and you'll also get a feel. But bear in mind people talk a lot of crap sometimes. So you'll need to filter that out yourself.

Let's hope I haven't failed core again or else I'll be joining yas talking about how sh1te life is again on here..

• Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Three pieces of advice that'll have you ready to hit the ground running next June:

1) Whether you go to lectures or not is your call but try to keep on top of your notes. You don't want to be in a position where you spend a week next June printing. You will not
    have time for this.

2) Go to Paul Monahans lectures, he actually shows you how to approach a case.

3) Do your damnest to get competent or even better highly competent in AAFRP, it'll take some pressure off you for PM next Sept.

Best of luck I hope I'm not back doing them with you.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭20 Times 20 Times

I have been following these FAE threads for the last 2/3 years and not its my turn :o . . . Will be a long year.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

In Group 2, timetable isn't too great. A lot of online lectures though, more than I expected

Rusty as hell on anything Accounting based, did a Masters over two years ago now, and my first year in a Big Four had very little to do with accountancy, ah well!

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

In Group 2, timetable isn't too great. A lot of online lectures though, more than I expected

Rusty as hell on anything Accounting based, did a Masters over two years ago now, and my first year in a Big Four had very little to do with accountancy, ah well!

I am in Dublin group 1 and in 8 I presume for cross marking ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30 AM21

I did FAE 2013- I have all of the core books and the audit elective books. If anybody wants them, they're yours for free. But I would prefer if whoever takes them takes all of them! thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 3 pak299

Hey guys,

I am available to give grinds in financial reporting, if interested pm me!

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭Melon head

Has anyone attempted the case study for the cross marking session on Wednesday night?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭acastudent

Melon head wrote: »
    Has anyone attempted the case study for the cross marking session on Wednesday night?

Not yet but planing this evening and you?

Melon head wrote: »

might give it a bash tomorrow in work.

• Advertisement

Just read it over last night. Didn't know where to start. Still only getting my head around case studies. I hope they wont mind if I don't attempt it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,977 ✭✭✭TheDoctor

Hello all!

Happy with my attendance level at FAE launch so far and up to date with note printing!! After doing a Masters been out of the education cycle for 18 months now so trying to hit the ground running.

Thought Monahans lecture Monday on Markguard was arguably the best so far, hope to have him again after Xmas for the cases.

Havent looked at the Cross Marketing One yet.

Have the Core and Elective timetables post Xmas gone up yet?

Supposed to have gone up on Monday...

I take that as a no so......

• Registered Users Posts: 14 LuLa0826

You need to log in for the timetables. They're under Course Materials in the timetables tab.

Hadn't checked there, thanks very much!

Dublin Core G2
    Elective AAE G1

How is everybody's timetable.? I have been put in a group that has a lot of lectures during the weekdays from (9:30- 16:30) Is this the case for everyone or have I been put in a wrong group?

Hi Melon,

In Dublin Core Group 2.
    The majority would seem to be 18.30-21.30
    And of those 09.30 to 16.30 days. A fair chunk of them are the 2 block releases.

Doing Advanced Audit as my elective
    4 are 09.30 starts
    2 eveining

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

Can anyone put up the Limerick timetable for after xmas was waiting on Cap 2 repeats and only registered this week and cant access the timetable yet?

• Advertisement

In Dublin Core 1 group 8 myself havent come across many on that yet.

I was in launch 2 and now core 2, thought that meant it was the 2 big groups again.
    Since your in 8, guess they will be smaller groups now so.

Toolate - well done on passing your Cap2s. Think someone from Limerick will have to put that one up. Only have access to my own timetable.

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭Shorty11857

LuLa0826 wrote: »
    You need to log in for the timetables. They're under Course Materials in the timetables tab.

When I go into Course Materials nothing shows up for me am I missing something?

Go into your student portal, hit course material and you should have the core and elective and what group you are in listed for you

Click on one and you have a table Notes, Assignment, Timetable, Planning and Delivery Schedule

Hit timetable

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭autumnbelle

Any one started doing any study themselves yet :/

No........!

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭TooLate

no studying being done...trying to catch up on the launch lectures to refresh Cap 2 at the moment :(

Just happy to be hitting most of the lectures and getting my notes together :)

AAFRP end of April, start looking at that after Xmas

• Registered Users Posts: 452 ✭✭littlemiss123

TheDoctor wrote: »
    Just happy to be hitting most of the lectures and getting my notes together :)

AAFRP end of April, start looking at that after Xmas

I'm the same!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 477 ✭✭ted2767

Take it from me as somebody who passed in 2013 you have no business studying for an exam in September at this stage.
    It'll be a long enough year as it is so for now just make sure you have your notes in order and attend the good lectures.

Advertisement