Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

Has anyone managed to set up a chromecast with an eircom efibre zyxel f1000 modem?
    My phone reads that the chromecast is there but can't connect to it via my wireless.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Has anyone managed to set up a chromecast with an eircom efibre zyxel f1000 modem?
    My phone reads that the chromecast is there but can't connect to it via my wireless.

Is your router broadcasting on a channel between 1-10? Chromecast can't see any above that.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

my chromecast sees channel 13 just fine...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

my chromecast sees channel 13 just fine...
    Must have fixed it in an update so but that was the case a while back.

Fresh Pots wrote: »
    Is your router broadcasting on a channel between 1-10? Chromecast can't see any above that.

Thanks for replying. Yes my modem only has channels 1-10. I've tried all sorts of things at this stage so I'd be very grateful for any advice.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

You say your phone reads it's there, but how does it do it if not over WiFi?

the chromecast broadcasts its own wifi when it can't connect to a wifi network, so you can set it up and stuff

Ah, get what's happening now, as you say it can connect directly but not via the network.

Might be worth the lad trying a laptop or computer?

I occasionally get a similar problem and a power cycle of both the chromecast and phone seems to resolve it, but my laptop always sees it no probs, even the one on a different BSSID which any of my android devices can't do.

the chromecast broadcasts its own wifi when it can't connect to a wifi network, so you can set it up and stuff

So do you mean I can set it up and use it even if it won't connect to my wifi network? Can I log on to it's own wifi via my phone or laptop and set it up to use apps that work with chromecast and bypass my own wifi altogether?

no, it needs to go onto your wifi to go online

it only broadcasts its own wifi because it needs to be told the password and stuff for your wifi

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Can you post the steps you are doing when trying to connect and where it fails.

Not using your router butay be able to help if I know what your doing

Sure.

I'm basically only getting as far as it not connecting.

On the phone:
    I launch the app
    It reads that the chromecast is there,tells me it's found it, it displays a number on the screen of the tv and on the phone and asks me if both are they same, I click yes, then it says "connecting to chromecast",asks for a password for my wifi and comes back with the response that it "cannot connect to your wifi. Make sure you are close to the chromecast and not using a vpn".

Neither of those points are an issue for me though.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Your missing a step after launching the app and before trying to connect you need to do this

On your phone hoot wifi settings and connect to the chromecast

then go back to the app and try to connect

The chromecast app will disconnect you from your home WiFi and connect to the chromecast to complete setup, before reconnecting to your WiFi automatically so there should be no need to do that manually. That step is happening for Whimsical because he's connected to it when he gives it his WiFi settings.

Whimsical, you don't have your router locked down by Mac address or a limited amount of available IP addresses ?

ThisRegard wrote: »
    The chromecast app will disconnect you from your home WiFi and connect to the chromecast to complete setup, before reconnecting to your WiFi automatically so there should be no need to do that manually. That step is happening for Whimsical because he's connected to it when he gives it his WiFi settings.

Whimsical, you don't have your router locked down by Mac address or a limited amount of available IP addresses ?

I don't think so. I have "Mac restrict" disabled on the router.There are only two devices using the router to date so I doubt it'd be restricted to two, although with eircom there's no telling!
    If I could get the mac address of the chromecast maybe I could add it manually to the router but it seems it's impossible to get it until it has connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Is it possible to watch youtube live streams on CC?

It wasn't working for me last night when I was trying it.
    I had the vid playing from the Youtube app on my mobile then tried to cast to Chromecast. It played for around 30 seconds, all the time the buffering circle overlayed in the foreground. Then it would time out on the mobile and stop playing on the CC.

I tried to cast it from Chrome then, rather than the Youtube app, to see if that would work. It appeared to be attempting to load the video, then just showed the Chrome logo on the screen, going nowhere.

In a final attempt to see if it was just a CC issue, I tried to send it from the YT app on phone to the YT app on my LG smart blu-ray player. On this it just started to buffer against a black background, no video showed at all.

In case it matters, it was ubisoft's live E3 event I was trying to watch!

yt livestream casted from the android youtube app worked just fine for me there now
    played it for a couple of minutes

yt livestream casted from the android youtube app worked just fine for me there now
    played it for a couple of minutes

Cool, thanks for checking for me :)

It was probably another issue at play then that stopped it working for me.

I remember trying to watch a live stream a few months back and getting an error message that live content was not allowed. Thinking about that though, it might have been the PS3 that gave me that message.

e3 streams never work for anybody on any device :)

e3 streams never work for anybody on any device :)

Haha, there was a time when that was true alright, but I managed to get 1080p to stream on the youtube app for the whole hour on my handset. I don't think it even buffered once :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,779 ✭✭✭A Neurotic

Has anyone else had trouble with casting Netflix from Chrome browser?

My chromecast works perfectly from my phone, and I can cast music and YouTube etc. from my laptop browser, but the cast icon just isn't there anymore in Netflix.

Any ideas?

Try removing and re-adding the plugin ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,342 ✭✭✭Mantel

Just finished reading through the thread and went to argos to see if I could get one and they have nothing listed for Chromecast now! :( Are there any other stores selling them in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Mantel wrote: »
    Just finished reading through the thread and went to argos to see if I could get one and they have nothing listed for Chromecast now! :( Are there any other stores selling them in Ireland?

Try Amazon.co.uk.

Free delivery

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭mcw92

They were taken down from the Argos site two weeks ago.
    Alot of stores still have stock though, you just need to take the catalogue number, 249/3897, to a till/kiosk.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,654 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Tesco had them yesterday, in Clonmel

Just to say I sorted my Eircom router and Chromecast incompatibility problem. The router just doesn't broadcast a strong enough wireless signal. I got a range extender and while it does nothing for my speed my chromecast connects when I use it.
    So no changing settings or messing, all that was needed was better wifi.
    I should say my phone and laptop worked in the same area the chromecast won't work in without the extender. It must require a good strong signal.

EDIT :Actually I might be wrong about this, it might be that the chromecast is connecting to the extenders wifi and bypassing the buggy eircom modem.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has anyone had any issues with their Chromecast overheating?

I got a present of one at the weekend and I am delighted with it everything I can cast to it so far.

The only issue I've had though was that after about an hour's usage, the device turned off automatically. When I went to check it, it was extremely hot to touch.

This was with powering the device through my TV's USB with the cable that came with the device.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭droidman123

Has anyone had any issues with their Chromecast overheating?

I got a present of one at the weekend and I am delighted with it everything I can cast to it so far.

The only issue I've had though was that after about an hour's usage, the device turned off automatically. When I went to check it, it was extremely hot to touch.

This was with powering the device through my TV's USB with the cable that came with the device.

I have mine about 4 weeks and never noticed if it overheated,i,m not saying it didnt,i just never checked.i will be checking it later.i am using usb to power it too.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

No overheating problems with mine, (well not that I know of, neither have ever turned themselves off) both plugged into usb on telly.

Advertisement