Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

Found live sport pretty unwatchable with the cast tab option. Any live TV using that method in fact. Just slightly too jumpy to watch. Like watching through a Zoetrope. My broadband is crap though so decent speeds might yield better results.

I think the chromecast is terrific streaming the usual film sites that can't be discussed here, via avia or allcast though.

It is great for streaming music/video that is hosted somewhere, cloud/external storage. But has tons of problems currently with anything live in it's different forms.

Can't help feeling Google are trying to take advantage a little with the pricing...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭Technophobe

Not sure how useful it is, as I haven't had a chance to look too closely at it yet, but there is an app you can download called Cast Store...
    Gives up to date list of compatible apps classified by category, lets you set Favourites etc etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

Allyall wrote: »

Long story short, the (cheaper) alternatives are a way better option imho. For connectivity with many different devices, streaming themselves, (torrent streaming included), casting itself, sharing files etc..
    DLNA/Miracast/Airplay/Bluetooth etc..

What are some of the cheaper/better alternatives? As I posted earlier, I ordered a Chromecast last weekend, but I don't think it'll be any good to me as I don't have a wifi router at home.

Are there any options for me to stream from my HTC One over bluetooth to my TV? I'm on Three network, and although I don't think they have any real way of knowing whether I am tethering or not, I'd prefer not to breach my contract if possible.

I know I could get a HDMI cable, but the reception is not good enough close to the TV, so I need a wireless solution where my phone is about 5m away, at a window where I get decent enough 3G and 4G signal.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,935 ✭✭✭long_b

What are some of the cheaper/better alternatives? As I posted earlier, I ordered a Chromecast last weekend, but I don't think it'll be any good to me as I don't have a wifi router at home.

Are there any options for me to stream from my HTC One over bluetooth to my TV? I'm on Three network, and although I don't think they have any real way of knowing whether I am tethering or not, I'd prefer not to breach my contract if possible.

I know I could get a HDMI cable, but the reception is not good enough close to the TV, so I need a wireless solution where my phone is about 5m away, at a window where I get decent enough 3G and 4G signal.

Can't you just tether it to your phone's hotspot ?

long_b wrote: »
    Can't you just tether it to your phone's hotspot ?

I've read differing accounts of whether this actually works or not. If it works, then fine. I have a N7 tablet, so I think I have to use that for casting and the HTC One as the hotspot. I think that will work, but as I said, I'd rather not tether and p*ss off Three if there was another way to do it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,381 ✭✭✭✭Allyall

I've read differing accounts of whether this actually works or not. If it works, then fine. I have a N7 tablet, so I think I have to use that for casting and the HTC One as the hotspot. I think that will work, but as I said, I'd rather not tether and p*ss off Three if there was another way to do it.

The other devices I was referring to were mostly Android tv boxes..
    Regardless, the Chromecast is great little device, I may have sounded a bit more harsh on it than I intended. The Live Streaming may be something that will be fixed soon, since Google released Google Cast SDK etc..

What options are available to you? Could you buy a 3G dongle and connect that to your Tablet? I know the MiFi options are pretty expensive, but do they still do the PAYG 3G dongles?
    Is that an option? You could cast from it and use it as a hotspot?
    E.G. - PPPWidget

Many similar apps

Just saw this

Allyall wrote: »
    The other devices I was referring to were mostly Android tv boxes..
    Regardless, the Chromecast is great little device, I may have sounded a bit more harsh on it than I intended. The Live Streaming may be something that will be fixed soon, since Google released Google Cast SDK etc..

What options are available to you? Could you buy a 3G dongle and connect that to your Tablet? I know the MiFi options are pretty expensive, but do they still do the PAYG 3G dongles?
    Is that an option? You could cast from it and use it as a hotspot?
    E.G. - PPPWidget

Many similar apps

Just saw this

My set up is that I have an O2 Hotshot hub which sends 3G signal around the house. We can connect wirelessly to that. For Netflix, we connect an S3 to that and hook the phone up to TV with hdmi cable. It works fine, but download limit is low.

So I thought I could use the chromecast and my unlimited Three data to look at Netflix. Only thing is I thought I could do it without tethering as I wasn't sure how the cast was sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

floggg wrote: »
    Sorry for all the questions.

Would I be right in saying that I need a router only (as opposed to a router - modem) like this TP Link TL-WR841N - http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/1227291/c_1/1%7Ccategory_root%7COffice%252C%2BPCs%2Band%2Bphones%7C14418968/c_2/3%7C19780850%7CWireless%2Bnetworking%7C14419015/c_3/4%7Ccat_14419015%7CCable%2Brouters%7C14419022.htm

It appears to be on the DD-WRT list (or a variant of it).

And also, that this on its own can't replace the UPC Technicolor box, and that I will need to plug this into the Technicolor box somehow?

Just in case anybody else wants to go this route, I got OverPlay set up relatively easily using this option.

The TP-Link router was easy to set up out if the box and I didn't need to flash DD-WRT onto it as it already had a static IP address option baked in.

All in all it was done in about 10 minutes, and so far works perfectly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

My set up is that I have an O2 Hotshot hub which sends 3G signal around the house. We can connect wirelessly to that. For Netflix, we connect an S3 to that and hook the phone up to TV with hdmi cable. It works fine, but download limit is low.

So I thought I could use the chromecast and my unlimited Three data to look at Netflix. Only thing is I thought I could do it without tethering as I wasn't sure how the cast was sent.

Well, I could be wrong, but my niece uses a hub with a 3 sim on unlimited data. I know it's not allowed, but no-one checks unless you d/l extraordinary amounts, AFAIK.

She has a Roku connected to a bog standard non Smart, or even HDMI, TV using AV connector cable.

No problem streaming Netflix, or even Show Box stuff from an Android, using All Cast.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭MonkstownHoop

Minding an apartment for a week soon, is it possible to use this on another wi fi network than my own?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,234 ✭✭✭Fresh Pots

Minding an apartment for a week soon, is it possible to use this on another wi fi network than my own?

Yep, no problems there.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is it possible to use this, streaming from my Note 3 over a wifi connection and get the US netflix?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Sorry if this is a stupid question.

Is it possible to use this, streaming from my Note 3 over a wifi connection and get the US netflix?

Not unless you do some DNS modifications in your router, as the Chromecast has Google's DNS hard-coded into the device.

You need to be able to use a Smart DNS for US Netflix.

See here for Unlocator instructions:

https://support.unlocator.com/customer/portal/articles/1284813-how-to-setup-chromecast

(There were some reports that the DNS is not hard coded in European Chromecast devices, either in this or the other CC thread.)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

I was able to get it working by adding a static route to my TP-Link router, no DD-WRT needed (which seemed to seriously reduce my Wifi speed by around half, also kept dropping out).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

I was able to get it working by adding a static route to my TP-Link router, no DD-WRT needed (which seemed to seriously reduce my Wifi speed by around half, also kept dropping out).

Could you explain further, I have a sky broadband router and a usunblock subscription, can I override the dns or do I need the DD-WRT thingy. I got my chromecast several months ago from the US. Any help would be appreciated.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭Kleine Hundin

Here's a guide for getting smartdns working with Chromecast

http://www.eyeondemand.com/2014/04/01/how-to-chromecast-via-smart-dns

• Registered Users Posts: 6,435 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Has anyone managed to properly set up static routes in a Netgear router?

I've set them up according to Kleine's link, then ping the address 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, but can still access it. It won't block for me?

Noob question.

My chromecast arrived today. I've put the app on both my phone and my tablet. I've been able to cast stuff from my tablet through a mobile hotspot on my phone. I've also been able to cast from my phone and my tablet through my O2 Hotshot mobile wifi device. Getting it to work with 2 routers was easier than expected.

All good.

So here's what I need to clarify.

1. If I cast local content from my tablet using my phone hotspot, is that considered tethering? I know technically, it is, but surely that wouldn't eat into my Three network allowance as it's not using the Three network for data. In which case, can Three really come after me?

2. Similarly, if I stream local content like music from my phone through the O2 mobile wifi router, will that eat into my O2 data allowance? I guess a way to check this is remove the sim card from the router and see if it still works, but I just thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Noob question.

My chromecast arrived today. I've put the app on both my phone and my tablet. I've been able to cast stuff from my tablet through a mobile hotspot on my phone. I've also been able to cast from my phone and my tablet through my O2 Hotshot mobile wifi device. Getting it to work with 2 routers was easier than expected.

All good.

1. If I cast local content from my tablet using my phone hotspot, is that considered tethering I know technically, it is, but surely that wouldn't eat into my Three network allowance as it's not using the Three network for data. In which case, can Three really come after me?

2. Similarly, if I stream local content like music from my phone through the O2 mobile wifi router, will that eat into my O2 data allowance? I guess a way to check this is remove the sim card from the router and see if it still works, but I just thought I'd ask here first.

Thanks

If what you're streaming is local content (on/from your phone/tablet/computer already) then your are not tethering over threes network so have nothing to worry about.

Noob question.

All good.

1. If I cast local content from my tablet using my phone hotspot, is that considered tethering? I know technically, it is, but surely that wouldn't eat into my Three network allowance as it's not using the Three network for data. In which case, can Three really come after me?

Thanks

Are you using a 3rd party DNS changer like unblock-us?

• Advertisement

god's toy wrote: »
    Are you using a 3rd party DNS changer like unblock-us?

Not that I'm aware of. Nexus 7, HTC One and O2 Hotshot. All standard except the N7 is rooted.

god's toy wrote: »
    If what you're streaming is local content (on/from your phone/tablet/computer already) then your are not tethering over threes network so have nothing to worry about.

Just called O2 there. Apparently sending local data from my phone through the Hotshot to the Chromecast does use up O2 data allowance. Ridiculous. You'd think that for local stuff it wouldn't come out of the O2 network allowance. P*ssed off about that.

All the "good" local content that I'd want to cast (photos and music) are on my phone.

Looks like I might have to get a cheap router just to deal with local content and keep O2 out of the loop altogether.

I know your reply was about the set up where I use my Three phone as the router to cast stuff from the tablet, so my rant above is not to say I don't appreciate your reply...it's about the other set up. I will call Three later and let you know what they say.

You'd pick up a TP LInk Wireless N router in Argos for less that 30 quid I think

This is what Three are saying about sharing local content over HTC hotspot..

Hi waynegalway, if you were using your phone as a hotspot this would be tethering and our terms and conditions would apply. If you were to send music and photos using another transfer method then it wouldn't count as tethering.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,229 ✭✭✭corkie

Just called O2 there. Apparently sending local data from my phone through the Hotshot to the Chromecast does use up O2 data allowance. Ridiculous. You'd think that for local stuff it wouldn't come out of the O2 network allowance. P*ssed off about that.

I have an O2 Hotshot device and can cast local content fine without eating into my download limit.

The only data the chromecast will use is what it needs to display pictures when your not casting.

You need internet access for the chromecast to start up, so your earlier post off taking the sim out of the rooter won't work, and your rooter probably won't work with out the sim.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Ordered one, arrived in Parcel Motel within 24 hours and now they've lost the bloody thing. Not happy.

PM cover it up to a certain amount I believe?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

PM cover it up to a certain amount I believe?

http://www.parcelmotel.com/liability.html

You read this, might help somewhat, I have found the CS on parcel motel to be very good. Not had much cause to use it mind other than reporting a blockage on one of their motels before.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

All's well. Amazon left off the PMID for some reason, it's en route.

• Advertisement

This is what Three are saying about sharing local content over HTC hotspot..

Hi waynegalway, if you were using your phone as a hotspot this would be tethering and our terms and conditions would apply. If you were to send music and photos using another transfer method then it wouldn't count as tethering.

I don't think they understood the question to be honest, maybe ask on the three forum?
    Yes he's right IF you're using that phone as an internet connection, as in content from the net is going over the chromecast, however if your device is not using internet (but your still using it for chromecast to wtch local content from your local network, then your not. I would ring back and get a person who knows how those things work and not dish out half understood stuff read from a script.

Advertisement