Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,684 ✭✭✭waynegalway

god's toy wrote: »
    I don't think they understood the question to be honest, maybe ask on the three forum?
    Yes he's right IF you're using that phone as an internet connection, as in content from the net is going over the chromecast, however if your device is not using internet (but your still using it for chromecast to wtch local content from your local network, then your not. I would ring back and get a person who knows how those things work and not dish out half understood stuff read from a script.

I have replied to three on their boards forum, so we'll see what they say today.

Anyway, the whole thing is too messy with my set up. I don't want to tether and I don't have unlimited broadband coming into the house through a normal router. So I've decided to sell the Chromecast. It just doesn't suit my set up. I'll get an MHL cable for the phone instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,433 ✭✭✭marcbrophy

Sorry, I have to ask again! :)
    marcbrophy wrote: »
    Has anyone managed to properly set up static routes in a Netgear router?

I've set them up according to Kleine's link, then ping the address 8.8.8.8 or 8.8.4.4, but can still access it. It won't block for me?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

So I have a question.

I got my chromecast last week and it was working perfectly until Wednesday night when it started performing really poorly. YouTube and netflix videos are very poor quality, most videos from my phone won't stream through All Cast at all even though they did last week.

I haven't moved the dongle at all so it can't be down to the distance from the router. I haven't taken it out of the TV since I got it so it hasn't powered off at all, could that be something to do with it?

It's very annoying now as videos are unwatchable.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

So I have a question.

I got my chromecast last week and it was working perfectly until Wednesday night when it started performing really poorly. YouTube and netflix videos are very poor quality, most videos from my phone won't stream through All Cast at all even though they did last week.

I haven't moved the dongle at all so it can't be down to the distance from the router. I haven't taken it out of the TV since I got it so it hasn't powered off at all, could that be something to do with it?

It's very annoying now as videos are unwatchable.

All Cast can be extremely variable, updates frequently break fixes.

Can you use Bubble UPnP....

I find it very good, lots of settings to improve streaming, tweaks, etc

Try out the free version, it's on Play.

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bubblesoft.android.bubbleupnp

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,833 ✭✭✭Vinz Mesrine

I have Avia which plays my videos aswell but the quality is very poor. It seems to be a hardware problem more than software as the netflix and YouTube videos are also suffering.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭James Forde

Sounds like a wifi issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Anyone able to get Mobdro to cast?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Anyone able to get Mobdro to cast?

Says "coming soon" on premium features, doubt anyone will have any luck until that happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Says "coming soon" on premium features, doubt anyone will have any luck until that happens.
    It says that for a long time :(

• Registered Users Posts: 33,739 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Been using 'bubble UPNP' to cast with mine since i got it, its never broke down and works a charm.

highly recommend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Just spotted this on Ibood as their deal of the day. Might be an alternative for some people wonder can it be used for everything unlike the chromecast. Great price too.

http://www.ibood.com/ie/en/product_specs/47337/EZCast_M2_Original/

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Just spotted this on Ibood as their deal of the day. Might be an alternative for some people wonder can it be used for everything unlike the chromecast. Great price too.

Looks nice! I downloaded the Allcast app and was able to cast a 720p MKV file to my TV from my Nexus 10! I'm impressed with the picture quality (no lag) and the audio worked as well! The Chromecast is plugged into the TV but if it were plugged into an AV receiver and the MKV has DTS encoded audio will the Chromecast output that to the 5.1/7.1 receiver?

Cheers,
    M

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Newest M2 EZcast media player TV stick better than V5II DLNA Miracast Airplay better than google chromecast

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Biggest-Discount-Newest-M2-EZcast-media-player-TV-stick-better-than-V5II-DLNA-Miracast-Airplay-better/1671575310.html
    (from AliExpress Android)

$21.88/€15.78 free shipping!!!

iBOOD shipping costs are outrageous.....

for this dongle, €12.50 shipping!!!

for an item they are charging €27.95 for..... crazy!!!

Over €40 for a €16 Chinese dongle.

Free shipping 2014Newest M2 EZcast media player TV stick better than V5II DLNA Miracast Airplay better than google chromecast

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/Biggest-Discount-Newest-M2-EZcast-media-player-TV-stick-better-than-V5II-DLNA-Miracast-Airplay-better/1671575310.html
    (from AliExpress Android)

$21.88/€15.78 free shipping!!!

iBOOD shipping cists are outrageous.

How is this better than Chromecast? What does It do that chromecast can't? Have one of those already but tempted by any gadget!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭mcw92

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

So anyone got this working with iPlayer ? I was kindly sent links to the iPlayer and BBC media player APKs, and using Hola I'm able to use it fine no problem on Android and can cast the menus etc.

However when I play something when casting it won't play, seems to be some sort of geographical restricting based on the chromecast itself ? Is there where messing around with the DNS to bypass the chromecast's one comes into play ?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,687 ✭✭✭Media999

So what apps are on this now. Decided against buying one a few months back as the apps were weak.

What apps are you all using now?

• Registered Users Posts: 747 ✭✭✭smackyB

ThisRegard wrote: »
    So anyone got this working with iPlayer ? I was kindly sent links to the iPlayer and BBC media player APKs, and using Hola I'm able to use it fine no problem on Android and can cast the menus etc.

However when I play something when casting it won't play, seems to be some sort of geographical restricting based on the chromecast itself ? Is there where messing around with the DNS to bypass the chromecast's one comes into play ?

Chromecast uses a direct connection, it doesn't route any traffic through your phone so a VPN there is not going to work. Instead you would need to implement some kind of VPN at the router level.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Yeah, thought so. I was hoping that when the device cast off it may have held on to the connection made by the android device, or that any regional checking had already been done by then initial handshake.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Can anyone confirm if film on works with chromecast

• Advertisement

Can anyone confirm if film on works with chromecast

Yep, it does now.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭baingal nancer

Yep, it does now.
    Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

I pretty much only use one app with my chromecasts. I'm not 100% sure I can mention it's name on here but it's initials are SB, most people would already know what I'm talking about and it alone makes it worth buying the chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭corkie

Media999 wrote: »
    So what apps are on this now. Decided against buying one a few months back as the apps were weak.

What apps are you all using now?

Complete list of supported apps for android, iOS and chrome.

My favorite for local content is videostream(Chrome extension), even paid for the premium version.
    Nolimits wrote: »
    I pretty much only use one app with my chromecasts. I'm not 100% sure I can mention it's name on here but it's initials are SB, most people would already know what I'm talking about and it alone makes it worth buying the chromecast.

To use the app your referring to you need another app as it doesn't have chromecast support built in?

Regards
    John

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

corkie wrote: »
    My favorite for local content is videostream(Chrome extension), even paid for the premium version.

Regards
    John

Any major advantages in the paid version? I use it once or twice a week. Handy app!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭corkie

Any major advantages in the paid version? I use it once or twice a week. Handy app!

The main feature of paid version is playlist!

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

The main feature of paid version is playlist!

Ah right! I only usually watch the latest episode of a downloaded TV series from the states. Will stick to free for now :D

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

I used to use Avia but it started cutting out every 10 minutes so now I use local cast and it's flawless. I'm also using Flixtor now instead of SB.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,647 ✭✭✭Nolimits

To use the app your referring to you need another app as it doesn't have chromecast support built in?

Regards
    John

Yeah ok, you got me. I use two apps, that and localcast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,720 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

No mention on that list of SB and Filmon which would be the two popular apps with Chromecast.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Advertisement