Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,694 ✭✭✭Dingatron

Holidays coming up in Portugal. I'm thinking of bringing the Chromecast, a MiFi wireless router and a tablet for streaming local content as the 3g will not be great. Anyone try this and what's the recommended streaming app? I have Avia media player but I was just wondering is there better app out there for local streaming.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 23,556 ✭✭✭✭Sir Digby Chicken Caesar

i think you're seriously underestimating how brilliant portugese tv is when you're pissed at 3am

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

I'm new to this Chromecast thingy & not really sure what can be done with it & what apps are on it. I understand that one can 'cast' their Chrome desktop to the TV. If it hasn't got BBC iPlayer, I found a nifty chrome extension called ZenMate which allows you use iPlayer & also the players on US networks. Don't know if the Chromecast will allow it though when it's embedded in the desktop browser.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I'm new to this Chromecast thingy & not really sure what can be done with it & what apps are on it. I understand that one can 'cast' their Chrome desktop to the TV. If it hasn't got BBC iPlayer, I found a nifty chrome extension called ZenMate which allows you use iPlayer & also the players on US networks. Don't know if the Chromecast will allow it though when it's embedded in the desktop browser.

I don't use Desktop Chrome as much as mobile but there is the cast to chromecast add on to "beam" your stuff to your display, I don't see why you can't run the DNS blocker beforehand and then try casting to the TV...

Other apps worth checking out on Play Store that are compatible are :

Film On
    Real Player Cloud
    Localcast
    Sh0wB0x - not on PlayStore but can't really talk about that one here!
    (Google is your friend)

And localcast for the stuff from the previous thing...

I also noticed that Chrome got an update on my phone today and it gives a drop down to share screen now on my Nexus 5, finally the feature came to mobile Chrome!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 108 ✭✭BearBanjer

Quick question - say I'm sitting here here and I cast Netflix to chromecast of from my N4, can I go ahead and use the phone for calls, browsing etc?

I've had a look around, but couldn't find an answer. I'd imagine you would be able to, otherwise it would be pretty rubbish, but just want a definitive answer! Ta!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭ilovespudss

BearBanjer wrote: »
    Quick question - say I'm sitting here here and I cast Netflix to chromecast of from my N4, can I go ahead and use the phone for calls, browsing etc?

I've had a look around, but couldn't find an answer. I'd imagine you would be able to, otherwise it would be pretty rubbish, but just want a definitive answer! Ta!

Definately can.

• Registered Users Posts: 211 ✭✭blacknight83

BearBanjer wrote: »

yes

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Hiyas. Is there a way to watch world cup on this do has know ???

• Registered Users Posts: 4,086 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

jeni wrote: »
    Hiyas. Is there a way to watch world cup on this do has know ???

Yep, use FilmOn for Android. Games should be on ITV and BBC.

• Registered Users Posts: 394 ✭✭jeni

Yep, use FilmOn for Android. Games should be on ITV and BBC.

Great thanks :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

Just thought I'd add, I came across an app called Web Video Caster in the Play Store yesterday. Seems to work fine and has great reviews!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,227 ✭✭✭corkie

Just thought I'd add, I came across an app called Web Video Caster in the Play Store yesterday. Seems to work fine and has great reviews!

Chrome already has this ability to cast html 5 and MP4 videos that you find, so don't see the need for this app?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭hustlergraham

corkie wrote: »
    Chrome already has this ability to cast html 5 and MP4 videos that you find, so don't see the need for this app?

I know it does but it doesn't seem to want to work via Chrome beta on my S4, even with Chromecast support enabled.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,575 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

I know it does but it doesn't seem to want to work via Chrome beta on my S4, even with Chromecast support enabled.

Works on normal Chrome on my N5....

It's in chrome (stable) as well, you just have to maximize the video first.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 810 ✭✭✭Inbox

I have Tunnel bear account and i can't seem to cast the iplayer over. When i click the cast button only the iplayer logo and the message "Ready to cast" is showing on my screen, The video fails to play but is playing normally on my laptop.

Anyone any ideas if i'm doing something wrong please?

Inbox wrote: »
    I have Tunnel bear account and i can't seem to cast the iplayer over. When i click the cast button only the iplayer logo and the message "Ready to cast" is showing on my screen, The video fails to play but is playing normally on my laptop.

Anyone any ideas if i'm doing something wrong please?

Are you using the VPN through your rooter?

If not then when using a VPN on your device, I didn't think you should even see the chromecast device.

The VPN is through the laptop and then i guess the chromecast is connected to the normal UPC Irish ip address and that's why it won't play? On the TV it looks like it's going to play, it previews what the program is and then it comes up with the logo and message.

Inbox wrote: »
    The VPN is through the laptop and then i guess the chromecast is connected to the normal UPC Irish ip address and that's why it won't play? On the TV it looks like it's going to play, it previews what the program is and then it comes up with the logo and message.

That is your problem! You need to configure your rooter (if possible) to connect to the VPN. So both your laptop and chromecast are on the same network.

Can't discuss how to do that here, but google/reddit may help.

Ah i see, grand at least i know the problem now, thanks.

• Advertisement

so.. are there any good ways of watching the world cup on a chromecasted tv other than just opening rte player and casting the chrome tab its playing in?

• Registered Users Posts: 3 robswall18

Go to Argos - €40 = done :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

so.. are there any good ways of watching the world cup on a chromecasted tv other than just opening rte player and casting the chrome tab its playing in?

You can use apps like FilmOn on your phone and cast ITV (which has World Cup Matches) to the TV with chromecast.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,431 ✭✭✭droidman123

Not trying to be funny,but why would anyone use casting to watch the world cup? Why not just watch it in the conventional way on a TV?

don't have any tv things other than the tv, which is only used for blu rays, external media player and now the chromecast

still have to pay a ****ing tv license though.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭Machinehead

That is your problem! You need to configure your rooter (if possible) to connect to the VPN. So both your laptop and chromecast are on the same network.

Can't discuss how to do that here, but google/reddit may help.
    I don't have Chromecast -yet but there is a free crome extension available on the Chrome web store called ZenMate, have a look see if it works on Chromecast when casting to the TV. Can't be off limits here since its approved by Google for free availability on their store. It definitely works for BBC iPlayer & US networks also.

I don't have Chromecast -yet but there is a free crome extension available on the Chrome web store called ZenMate, have a look see if it works on Chromecast when casting to the TV. Can't be off limits here since its approved by Google for free availability on their store. It definitely works for BBC iPlayer & US networks also.

Can you PM me a link to it? Can't find it in Chrome web store!

Used google and found it.

Works for BBC iplayer if you cast a tab, which is not great performance wise anyway.
    Hulu detected the extentsion and won't let you play content.

There is other ways of getting access to programs.

Thanks for mentioning it, it's handy extension anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 372 ✭✭garbeth

Installed ZenMate and it works so far. Great Find MachineHead Thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Missymoohaa

Can you PM me a link to it? Can't find it in Chrome web store!

Used google and found it.

Works for BBC iplayer if you cast a tab, which is not great performance wise anyway.
    Hulu detected the extentsion and won't let you play content.

There is other ways of getting access to programs.

Thanks for mentioning it, it's handy extension anyway.

Can't find a download version, tried several sites, can I have a hint?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Can't find a download version, tried several sites, can I have a hint?

You could try searching chrome web store for Zenmate, using tunnel bear set to UK!!

Then you got options, don't forget to tweet in TB for 1GB extra.......

Advertisement