Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Google Chromecast now available in Ireland via Amazon - see mod note post #1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭RichardoKhan

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭RunDMC

Mantel wrote: »
    Just finished reading through the thread and went to argos to see if I could get one and they have nothing listed for Chromecast now! :( Are there any other stores selling them in Ireland?

PC World have them for €40.

R

• Registered Users Posts: 1,645 ✭✭✭Nolimits

Mantel wrote: »
    Just finished reading through the thread and went to argos to see if I could get one and they have nothing listed for Chromecast now! :( Are there any other stores selling them in Ireland?

Most stores still have them, I just bought one from argos in blanchardstown about an hour ago, still 30 left in stock.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BPatsy

Tesco in Gorey had them last week, might get one myself when the native mirror casting update comes along

• Registered Users Posts: 1,441 ✭✭✭WeleaseWoderick

Has anyone managed to get XBMC working with Chromecast?

I've tried following instructions I found online to cast from a Nexus 7(2012) but can't seem to get it working.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭CinSoots

Has anyone managed to get XBMC working with Chromecast?

I've tried following instructions I found online to cast from a Nexus 7(2012) but can't seem to get it working.

Try this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVMIk8_BxUM

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 BPatsy

Here's a code for £5 to use on a UK only playstore account, got it with the chromecast promo, wont let me use it on my Irish account

3FSBFFFKCTF2QDY

Enjoy :)

• Registered Users Posts: 518 ✭✭✭garroff

Did a Chromecast update last night on my Nexus 10 and can now cast XBMC films to tv.
    This is what I wanted when I bought Chromecast

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

garroff wrote: »
    Did a Chromecast update last night on my Nexus 10 and can now cast XBMC films to tv.
    This is what I wanted when I bought Chromecast

Was that just an update to the Chromecast app itself, or to the actual Chromecast device? I've been unable to use the Cast Screen function to date:(

gerrybbadd wrote: »
    Was that just an update to the Chromecast app itself, or to the actual Chromecast device? I've been unable to use the Cast Screen function to date:(

Chromecast software update to 1.7.4 on Android. What are you using?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,153 ✭✭✭corkie

gerrybbadd wrote: »

You need to have: -
    1. Chromecast app at version 1.7.4
    2. Chromecast Hardware version 17250
    3. Supported device or rooted device with KitKat

Power cycling or Factory resetting the chromecast has been reported to force and update.

What cool things are people using the mirroring for?

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

Chromecast software update to 1.7.4 on Android. What are you using?

I'm on the Nexus 10 here. Not rooted

Edit - screen mirroring I'd working now, class!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,481 ✭✭✭irishpancake

Has anyone had any issues with their Chromecast overheating?

I got a present of one at the weekend and I am delighted with it everything I can cast to it so far.

The only issue I've had though was that after about an hour's usage, the device turned off automatically. When I went to check it, it was extremely hot to touch.

This was with powering the device through my TV's USB with the cable that came with the device.

I'd say try the power adapter that should have come also, USB might not provide the power needed.

It does seem to get hot though, I switch mine off at the mains, using that adapter when not in use.

I am not sure it would power off when the telly is off, whilst connected to the adapter, perhaps someone can say??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Don't suppose this works on an s3 mini phone 😂

How do you mean?? It, Chromecast, works via a HDMI port on most TV's.

It requires a Chromecast App from Google Play to interact with the dongle plugged into the telly. You can cast loads of stuff like YouTube or Netflix or Google Music directly controlled from your phone, and lots of other media, including your own and streaming movies, by use of other Chromecast enabled Apps, like All Cast of Bubble UPnP, both on the Play Store.

I'd say the S3 would be fine, its mainly about the telly and your WiFi/Broadband.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭The Ayatolla

Apologies, I meant the mirroring feature.

Using Chromecast successfully as you mentioned above for the last while on a variety of devices :)

Apologies, I meant the mirroring feature.

Using Chromecast successfully as you mentioned above for the last while on a variety of devices :)

OK....my mistake :)

Corkie published a list of compatible devices here:

http:.//touch.boards.ie/thread/2056999700/17/#post91231458

I wouldn't be gone on mirroring at all myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

corkie wrote: »

I've been flying Concorde, 747s, and Chinook helicopters on x plane.

Not too bad actually. Had some jittery screen issues from time to time, but a solid 9/10 atm.

Is this the phone your referring to: - Samsung Galaxy S III Mini

Unless you have a rooted phone including a custom rom with KitKat installed, your phone won't have the mirroring capabilities.

Even then if you do have the above it may still not be powerful enough to mirror successfully.

Reported not working here
    corkie wrote: »
    You need to have: -
    1. Chromecast app at version 1.7.4
    2. Chromecast Hardware version 17250
    3. Supported device or rooted device with KitKat

Power cycling or Factory resetting the chromecast has been reported to force and update.

The Digital Services Act 2024 [EU] ~ Social Media and You ~ Nanny State guidance for parental monitoring of apps ~ Censorship: - broad laws that will probably effect Adult use of same.

Was able to cast 4OD but failed to cast BBC IPlayer from my desktop via Chromecast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭murphaph

Was able to cast 4OD but failed to cast BBC IPlayer from my desktop via Chromecast.
    Are you in tge UK or using some method to circumvent the iPlayer geoblocking? It works for me from the browser.

using HOLA UNBLOCKER. Can watch IPLAYER on desktop but when I cast, all I get on tv screen is IPLAYER logo and "ready to cast"

using HOLA UNBLOCKER. Can watch IPLAYER on desktop but when I cast, all I get on tv screen is IPLAYER logo and "ready to cast"
    Yeah because when you hit cast you don't retransmit the browser stream to the Chromecast...you send an instruction to the Chromecast to fetch a particular stream from the BBC. Your Chromecast isn't running anything like HOLA to get around geoblocking so the BBC sees you are not in the UK and it fails. You need to set up something at router level.

I use overPlay smart DNS. There's also unoTelly etc. These are all pay services but are inexpensive (like $4 a month)

murphaph wrote: »
    Yeah because when you hit cast you don't retransmit the browser stream to the Chromecast...you send an instruction to the Chromecast to fetch a particular stream from the BBC. Your Chromecast isn't running anything like HOLA to get around geoblocking so the BBC sees you are not in the UK and it fails. You need to set up something at router level.

I use overPlay smart DNS. There's also unoTelly etc. These are all pay services but are inexpensive (like $4 a month)

I use SmartyDNS, they have a WC promotion ATM, if you take 12 months, it's just $27.099[€20.58] for the 12 months pretty good, IMO

I just got the CC, so still messin around, but to use BBC IPlayer, you still need to overcome CC own DNS settings, right??

They are hard-wired to Google DNS, and the Smart DNS settings don't work??

Is there a way round this, I think there maybe settings in the router to change.

I am still using my old netopia eircom router, but have modified for Voda BB DSL settings.

I also have the Vodafone Huawei Home Gateway HG 658c, which they sent me out, but I never bothered with it yet,

Can either or both of these be modified to cope with the CC fixed DNS....

I don't mind taking a chance, as I can usually sort it out anyway.

Thanks all, in advance.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

It took some googling but I managed to get my chromecast to use my own dns servers by setting a static route from the google ip addresses to an unused internal ip address. I'm not sure how this works but it does the job for me!

I've been flying Concorde, 747s, and Chinook helicopters on x plane.

Not too bad actually. Had some jittery screen issues from time to time, but a solid 9/10 atm.

Is this the x-plane your referring to?

Are you using a bluetooth controller with your device for that?

Chet T16 wrote: »
    It took some googling but I managed to get my chromecast to use my own dns servers by setting a static route from the google ip addresses to an unused internal ip address. I'm not sure how this works but it does the job for me!
    This is what I do as well except I send the requests back to the chromecast itself which has no DNS server so it'll fall back to the router default which is my smart DNS provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,031 ✭✭✭Slippin Jimmy

What is the main difference between chromecast and android TV, other than the mirroring?

murphaph wrote: »
    This is what I do as well except I send the requests back to the chromecast itself which has no DNS server so it'll fall back to the router default which is my smart DNS provider.

That sounds good, what commands and other stuff do I need to do this in a netopia (eircom) router, any links to instructions??

I think you can set up static routs in the netopia.

Thanks.

Edit:

This is a screenshot of what I see under static Routes on the netopia....

Screenshot%202014-07-14%2003.04.08.jpg

So, how do I achieve what you say above from that setting screen, or do I need to go elsewhere??

Thanks for the help :)

• Advertisement

Advertisement