Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Which would make sense in the context of Maggies prophecy if he wins.

Which prophecy is that?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

Which prophecy is that?
    Valonqar

Valonqar

Hasn't thought of it that way - so the younger brother in this case is Sandor, who kills Gregor?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Hasn't thought of it that way - so the younger brother in this case is Sandor, who kills Gregor?

Ehh, I'm confused now, was the prophecy not that Cersei was to be killed by her Valonqar, i.e. younger brother? Don't know how it could affect the Cleganes.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,066 ✭✭✭Washington Irving

Ehh, I'm confused now, was the prophecy not that Cersei was to be killed by her Valonqar, i.e. younger brother? She assumes this to be Tyrion, but it could also be Jaime.

That's what I've always thought too, but there are theories that she isn't necessarily killed by her younger brother. So I assume TimeToShine buys into that theory which would lend itself to Sandor Clegane representing the Faith winning the trial by combat vs Robert Strong and thus essentially 'killing' Cersei.

• Advertisement

That's what I've always thought too, but there are theories that she isn't necessarily killed by her younger brother. So I assume TimeToShine buys into that theory which would lend itself to Sandor Clegane representing the Faith winning the trial by combat vs Robert Strong and thus essentially 'killing' Cersei.

But doesn't it says that (and I'm paraphrasing here) her life will end with the valonquar's hands around her throat? That sounds pretty specific to me, Sandor winning the trial doesn't quite fit the bill.
    Also places doubt on the Jaime theory as he only has the one hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,881 ✭✭✭TimeToShine

But doesn't it says that (and I'm paraphrasing here) her life will end with the valonquar's hands around her throat? That sounds pretty specific to me, Sandor winning the trial doesn't quite fit the bill.
    Also places doubt on the Jaime theory as he only has the one hand.

As I really, really can't see Tyrion making it back to Westeros before Cersei is killed I think that the trial by combat might decide her fate. I'd probably rather Tyrion do it but it's very unlikely, and as you said Jaime's lack of a hand technically puts him out of the running.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

^ He still has one hand, and Cersei has a skinny neck.

Tyrion managed to kill Shae with "hands" around her neck!

Tyrion managed to kill Shae with "hands" around her neck!

I thought he kept twisting the gold chain around her neck until he choked her?

EDIT. oh I get it now. Bit slow this morning ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Holy Hand Grenade

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    ^ He still has one hand, and Cersei has a skinny neck.

Plus one backup golden hand.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,999 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

Never thought of that "Hands" thing. Huh............ The only thing that's stopping me being absolutely sure that it's going to be Jamie who kills Cercie is that it just seems a bit too obvious for Martin's style.

Well, I suppose we'll find out by the end of this year when the book's out

cryhappy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭chickenboy

Does anyone have any crackpot theories they'd like to share? There's one going around Reddit at the moment that the new high septon is actually Howland Reed, which is strangely compelling!

• Registered Users Posts: 793 ✭✭✭Kunkka

chickenboy wrote: »
    Does anyone have any crackpot theories they'd like to share? There's one going around Reddit at the moment that the new high septon is actually Howland Reed, which is strangely compelling!

Link me!

Here's a collection of theories from westeros.org

http://asoiaf.westeros.org/index.php/topic/79775-a-compendium-of-theories/

Some of these are quite plausible and clever eg, Frey Pie, Northern conspiracy, Vary-Ilyrio conspiracy, but a few are pretty unlikely.

There are some real crackpot ones on reddit too, like that Ramsay Bolton is Azor Ahai.

That's a good one?

Another Howland Reed is that Jojen is Howland too. Howland is safe at home in the marshes, but has warged into Jojen.

The Frey Pie is probably true.

The Northern conspiracy is harder to believe.

The Vary-Ilyrio conspiracy I completely subscribe too, those 2 are actively planning to change the rule of Westeros, thats no secret.

The Vary-Ilyrio conspiracy I completely subscribe too, those 2 are actively planning to change the rule of Westeros, thats no secret.

I'm still convinced that Varys is a Targaryen / Blackfyre, and is working to bring them back on the throne.

I'm still convinced that Varys is a Targaryen / Blackfyre, and is working to bring them back on the throne.

I'd say Illyrio could be married to a Blackfyre anyways.

I never really suspected Varys of being either a Targaryen or Blackfyre. But you can't believe a word he says, but wasn't he hired by The Mad King, when they heard of his talents?

I love the Northern Conspiracy!

• Advertisement

My memory is hazy about this High Septon but wouldn't Howland Reed, a crannogman, worship the Old Gods of the North? How would a layman of one faith have the knowledge to masquarade as a cleric of another?

Question to anyone frequenting forums before ADWD. Were there as many plot ideas before it's release & did many foresee what was going to happen prior to it's release? I'm just wondering if all the discussion of what GRRM is going to do is completely pissing in to the wind!

My memory is hazy about this High Septon but wouldn't Howland Reed, a crannogman, worship the Old Gods of the North? How would a layman of one faith have the knowledge to masquarade as a cleric of another?

Again, I've a slightly hazy memory, but the new High Septon claimed to be a wandering septon, travelling around to small villages and such. He seems to have built up his reputation based on humility, piety and hard work rather than an academic knowledge of the faith, and was unknown to the upper echelons of the church before the sparrows barged in and demanded that he take the position.

Kunkka wrote: »
    I'm just wondering if all the discussion of what GRRM is going to do is completely pissing in to the wind!

I'd like to know this too!

Again, I've a slightly hazy memory, but the new High Septon claimed to be a wandering septon, travelling around to small villages and such. He seems to have built up his reputation based on humility, piety and hard work rather than an academic knowledge of the faith, and was unknown to the upper echelons of the church before the sparrows barged in and demanded that he take the position.

I had heard another theory that the new High Septon is Varys in disguise. Or working in concert with Varys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,679 ✭✭✭hidinginthebush

Kunkka wrote: »
    Question to anyone frequenting forums before ADWD. Were there as many plot ideas before it's release & did many foresee what was going to happen prior to it's release? I'm just wondering if all the discussion of what GRRM is going to do is completely pissing in to the wind!

Popular Theories before AFFC/ADWD

What are the most significant fan theories that have come true?

What are some popular theories that were disproven when ADWD came out?

Past Fan theory compilation

And many more here

I will add though that I gave up on reading the theories a while ago. What got me hooked on the series was that the central character was killed at the end, it was a complete and utter shock. And most every book since then has has some complete "WTF!" moment that blows you away. There are so many theories abounding now that I'm worried that (a) I won't be shocked when some new surprise drops, or even worse (b) Martin decides he has to come up with new zaney wild ploy twists as everything he had planned has been figured out.

I'm happy to let the story be told by GRRM himself, no doubt he still has some cards up his sleeve.

People suspected Aegon was alive from way back. I never dawned on me at all until young grif claimed to be Aegon. It was a complete shock.

I felt it was something that wasn't planned, and GRRM did it as an afterthought. But looking back, maybe not, revealing this fake or real Aegon could have been planned from the start.

Benjen as the Tree Eye Crow, never thought that, I always suspected he was Coldhands. But there was a seperate theory for it being Bloodraven.

They got a lot of theories right in fairness.

Maybe we are not pissing in the wind then!

• Registered Users Posts: 122 ✭✭valor rorghulis

People suspected Aegon was alive from way back. I never dawned on me at all until young grif claimed to be Aegon. It was a complete shock.

I felt it was something that wasn't planned, and GRRM did it as an afterthought. But looking back, maybe not, revealing this fake or real Aegon could have been planned from the start.

Benjen as the Tree Eye Crow, never thought that, I always suspected he was Coldhands. But there was a seperate theory for it being Bloodraven.

They got a lot of theories right in fairness.

There's a fantastic one on reddit about Benjen Stark being Daario Naharis - the first reply was "LOOK WHAT YOU'RE DOING TO US MARTIN"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Just finished my chronological re-read (absolutely recommended), and just skimmed through this thread.

I don't think Jon's dead to be honest, I think he'll be back.

Re the Volanqar, does the prophecy actually say "her volanqar" or just "the volanqar" I agree that I think it's more like to be Jaime than Tyrion but I also think it could be Stannis ... and just come to me as I type, could it be Tommen?

The thing about Arya that really interests me is the constant referencing to Nymeria and her giant wolf pack. They get mentioned for too often for them not to be significant in some way.

I have no idea what to think about Aegon.

Advertisement