Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Winds of Winter (Book 6 Discussion) **SPOILERS for all books & future books**

Options

Comments

NiallMH93 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure that was Mereen, unless its some kind of flashback or dream. I've also heard people pointing out sightings of Sons of the Harpy and Dragon pits, hadn't expected them to tackle that this early. Also looks like Alliser Thorne will be taking the place of Donal Noye. Looks pretty bloody epic all the same!

I like the Thorne actor. Looks really good

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    Sure the same is going to happen with Brans story, they are approaching Book 5 storyline now unless they pad it with him and the Reeds just travelling to the Three Eyed Crow for the whole season.

There's a scene in the trailer when it looks likie Bran is going into the tree - when does that happen in the books?

There's a scene in the trailer when it looks likie Bran is going into the tree - when does that happen in the books?

It doesn't, they are clearly advancing his story. I doubt Hodor as great as he is could carry Bran on his back in 2 years :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

It doesn't, they are clearly advancing his story. I doubt Hodor as great as he is could carry Bran on his back in 2 years :D

It looked like they may have advanced some of the character stories alright. The huge dragon shadow at the start and what looks like it may be the Sons of the harpies killing someone which may cut out an awful lot of Dany's faffing about (No harm either). May be the last episode. (Big dramatic end after the inevitable Crossbow/Toilet thing that'll prob be in episode 8 or 9 - Think the Wall attack is episode 9)

However these could be VERY misleading. Very clever editing to get readers talking as well as non-readers. These could be simply Bran telling a story about dragons to the Reeds and it's only him putting his hand on a tree. Maybe him just him seeing a heart tree and longing for Winterfell.

Catelyn's actress isn't cast in the 4th season at all. Is that to hide what happens with her to non book readers or are they going to wait until season 5 for that?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭Burt Macklin

Catelyn's actress isn't cast in the 4th season at all. Is that to hide what happens with her to non book readers or are they going to wait until season 5 for that?

I think the whole Tywin/Tyrion confrontation will be in episode 9, so my vision for the end of episode 10 would be the argument between Sansa, Littlefinger and Lysa in The Eyrie. Littlefinger pushes Lysa off the cliff, show fades to black. Then the lights come up again, a Frey prisoner is being hanged, and we get an introduction to Lady Stoneheart. If they do it right, it'll blow everyone's minds.

I'd reckon they don't need a contract for Michelle Fairley if its only for a cameo this season and the news would be a spoiler for non-book readers.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

I think the whole Tywin/Tyrion confrontation will be in episode 9, so my vision for the end of episode 10 would be the argument between Sansa, Littlefinger and Lysa in The Eyrie. Littlefinger pushes Lysa off the cliff, show fades to black. Then the lights come up again, a Frey prisoner is being hanged, and we get an introduction to Lady Stoneheart. If they do it right, it'll blow everyone's minds.

I'd reckon they don't need a contract for Michelle Fairley if its only for a cameo this season and the news would be a spoiler for non-book readers.

Yeah definitely think that will be episode 9 in a nutshell, though I reckon Lady Stoneheart might be the last shot of episode 10.

As with every episode 9 it will involve a huge moment. I think the biggest moment is Tyrion & Tywin's scene to come. It will be as big a shock as the Red Wedding to some people. It was when I read it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,618 ✭✭✭Mr Freeze

As with every episode 9 it will involve a huge moment. I think the biggest moment is Tyrion & Tywin's scene to come. It will be as big a shock as the Red Wedding to some people. It was when I read it anyway.

I was always hoping the big ep9 moment would be this, plus Stannis saving them all at the wall, cause that was a surprise (to me at least) in the books, but they show have pretty much made it clear he will go there.

Also, Shae in Tywins bed was a massive shock to me, that whole scene will be unreal.

This season will have a few big shockers, as we should be losing 2 more Kings pretty early, that people won't see coming so soon in a season.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Yeah, with the news out there already that Joff is leaving, I reckon non-book readers will be expecting his death in Ep9 as the "big episode 9 thing" - which will actually be Tyrion/Tywin and Littlefinger/Lysa.

Lady Stoneheart will appear in Ep10 to set up the next season.

• Advertisement

and Littlefinger/Lysa.

Lady Stoneheart will appear in Ep10 to set up the next season.

I think Littlefinger/Lysa could still be in ep 10, cause people won't be expecting any more shocks, this and Lady Stoneheart should be a great ending.

Dunno what they will do with Dany, as usually she ends up being the focus of the last episode.

There is a lot more to be expected in this season then any other in my opinion.... so much to fit in. Every episode is going to have a big scene in it with all that happens.

After reading online, speculation is that episode 9 will be the battle on the wall with Neil Marshall directing. That probably means that it will be similar to Blackwater in season 2, with the episode focused on one location, with the big twist being Stannis showing up to save everyone.

I don't know how they'll break the rest of it up, but I expect Tywin/Tyrion and ''Only Cat'' towards the end, and hopefully Lady Stoneheart being the final shot of the season as I detailed above.

Speaking of the battle for the wall, I'm surprised that they hinted so strongly at Stannis' plan to help the Night's Watch in season 3, he even states outright to Mellisandre and Davos what he plans to do. For me, it was a real 'holy sh1t moment' in the books when this happened
    "When the trumpets blew again and the knights charged, the name they cried was 'Stannis! Stannis! STANNIS!'"

And what will they do with Stannis for a whole year? Shots of him and Davos slowly sailing North?

Just realised this probably isn't the right forum for show discussion like this, but so what? I'm sure my grandchildren will enjoy Winds of Winter whenever GRRM releases it.

BTW If anyone's wondering if I'm new to this board, my previous username was NiallMH93

And what will they do with Stannis for a whole year? Shots of him and Davos slowly sailing North?

Well they will have to do the whole "2 is not 3" thing when Balon goes and Melisandre starts taking credit for Balon and Robbs deaths. So that's 1 or 2 scenes with them.

But ya, mainly gonna be sailing north unless they invent something.

I think the Battle at The Wall deserves more than episode 9. It was raging for ages in the books, with waves and waves of Wildings and Giants defeated, by the time Jon was sent to parley with Mance.

They should have The Wall under siege for a few episodes with Stannis turning up in ep 9. I'd say Ygrittes end has been bumped up to ep 9 now also.

I'm really confused now.... they have so much to fill in & theyve added their own stuff with Theon etc.

I'm really confused now.... they have so much to fill in & theyve added their own stuff with Theon etc.

They must be advancing into Book 5 with his story or inventing some, but since he is all cleaned up, it really looks like when Roose gets him cleaned up.

Best case scenario, he could be just imagining being clean and horsed in that snippet we saw, and then it cuts to him lying with the dogs or something, it could be just misdirection for us book readers in the trailer hopefully.

Never thought about that. Was that in Book 3 too? Bloody hell.

If so then it would be a good end alright. But with that little speech he gives about revealing Sansa as Sansa and presumed heir to Winterfell and the North.
    Petyr arched an eyebrow. “When Robert dies. Our poor brave Sweetrobin is such a sickly boy, it is only a matter of time. When Robert dies, Harry the Heir becomes Lord Harrold, Defender of the Vale and Lord of the Eyrie. Jon Arryn’s bannermen will never love me, nor our silly, shaking Robert, but they will love their Young Falcon... and when they come together for his wedding, and you come out with your long auburn hair, clad in a maiden’s cloak of white and grey with a direwolf emblazoned on the back... why, every knight in the Vale will pledge his sword to win you back your birthright. So those are your gifts from me, my sweet Sansa... Harry, the Eyrie, and Winterfell. That’s worth another kiss now, don’t you think?”

Was a great bit in the book and finally told us what his plan was (Apart from his obsession with Cat)

As for the whole Theon scene. I think it's just an hallucination of his.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,695 ✭✭✭December2012

Never thought about that. Was that in Book 3 too? Bloody hell.

If so then it would be a good end alright. But with that little speech he gives about revealing Sansa as Sansa and presumed heir to Winterfell and the North.

Was a great bit in the book and finally told us what his plan was (Apart from his obsession with Cat)

As for the whole Theon scene. I think it's just an hallucination of his.

That wasn't in A Storm of Swords.

The Lysa confession of the murder of Jon Arryn and going for a fly out the moon door would be the greatest wtf ending.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,192 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

BTW If anyone's wondering if I'm new to this board, my previous username was NiallMH93

• Advertisement

That wasn't in A Storm of Swords.

The Lysa confession of the murder of Jon Arryn and going for a fly out the moon door would be the greatest wtf ending.

Oh that's right. I just cut and pasted that. I forgot about all the wrangling he was doing with the Vale Lords inbetween.

I can't see them giving too much time to Lysa's death concidering everything that still has to happen this season. After all that happens I'm sure non-readers will go "Who cares? Joff, Tywin, The Wall, Tyrion, Jamie & Brienne etc"

Obviously it needs to be done for Littlefinger's plan but I think the bigger thing would be the reveal of his plan for Sansa

Could be a risk of that episode being too similar to the Blackwater, what with Stannis showing up in a very similar way to Tywin. Though that's probably a valid criticism of he book to begin with, much the same way Tolkien likes having Eagles show up to get characters out of sticky situations :P

Mickeroo wrote: »

Thought I was dead? So did the president...'s enemies :p

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Could be a risk of that episode being too similar to the Blackwater, what with Stannis showing up in a very similar way to Tywin. Though that's probably a valid criticism of he book to begin with, much the same way Tolkien likes having Eagles show up to get characters out of sticky situations :P

Both from the same director too. Some interesting info about the Marshall episode here

http://www.hypable.com/2013/11/29/game-of-thrones-season-4-episode-9-neil-marshall/

Rumoured to be called 'Castle Black' and to show the action from several different points. Sounds pretty promising!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,047 ✭✭✭GerB40

Mr Freeze wrote: »
    I think Littlefinger/Lysa could still be in ep 10, cause people won't be expecting any more shocks, this and Lady Stoneheart should be a great ending.

Dunno what they will do with Dany, as usually she ends up being the focus of the last episode.

That would be a fcukin excellent end to the series...

I was thinking about fAegon this morning (as you do like), and I thought that if he got greyscale - maybe from Jon Connington? It would be proof that he's not a Targaryan. And I think that if he is not, then he doesn't know that he's not a Targ - basically that Varys / Ilyrio has fooled everybody including Jon Connington and his crew.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

I was thinking about fAegon this morning (as you do like), and I thought that if he got greyscale - maybe from Jon Connington? It would be proof that he's not a Targaryan.

Why would it prove that?

Dany says in Book 5 that targaryans can't catch greyscale.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Dany says in Book 5 that targaryans can't catch greyscale.

Whether she does or not that doesn't mean it's true.

A lot of Targaryens thought they were actual dragons and drank wildfire.

• Advertisement

Targaryens are not immune to disease, or fireproof for that matter.

I'm pretty sure there are plenty of cases of Targaryens dying from diseases, but all Dany really knows is what her idiot brother told her about their family.

Advertisement